• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICE detains woman seeking domestic abuse protection at Texas courthouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this will do though is make immigrants, both documented and undocumented, less likely to report crimes or seek help from the police, if they know that reporting a crime will make it possible for them to be picked up by ICE.

It's eroding any remaining trust between these communities and their law enforcement.

Don't commit a bunch of crimes while you are here then. She fucked up. Shitty situation but she fucked up.

Glix

I think giving white men the power to say "Do what I want you to do or I will call ICE" to any hispanic woman is a fucking horrible, disgusting thing to do. It's unbearable to even think about.

and if you don't think it will come to that you are lying to yourself.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
What is "undocumented"? Is that the PC term for illegally here?

Terrible post, wow.

1. You know exactly what it means. Your question is disingenuous in the BEST case.
2. How is that your takeaway here? The OP even explains it.
3. Not reading the OP is bannable.
4. Your previous posts provide some pretty disgusting context for this.

Madness

What is "illegally"? What crime is committed by crossing an imaginary line on the ground?

Illegally is being in another sovereign country without authorized consent or permission. There is a middle ground between the hardcore deport everyone and the open borders imaginary lines crowd you know. Otherwise if lines are imaginary, why do people care about borders and territory at all.

This is pretty shitty though. Women of colour are already afraid of coming forward when it comes to domestic violence because it is very tough for them, and this guarantees very few will come forward again because ICE is getting involved in this. She came forward to be protected from domestic abuse, not to be detained and possibly deported. So much for targeting the really bad criminals first eh?

Glix

Illegally is being in another sovereign country without authorized consent or permission. There is a middle ground between the hardcore deport everyone and the open borders imaginary lines crowd you know. Otherwise if lines are imaginary, why do people care about borders and territory at all.

This is pretty shitty though. Women of colour are already afraid of coming forward when it comes to domestic violence because it is very tough for them, and this guarantees very few will come forward again because ICE is getting involved in this. She came forward to be protected from domestic abuse, not to be detained and possibly deported. So much for targeting the really bad criminals first eh?

Its much more than discouraging them from coming forward. Its actually GIVING abusers another tool in their belt to help keep the woman controlled.

Its absolutely disgusting, and any man with any sort of pride or character or sliver of chivalry in them, should be appalled.

wilsonda

I think giving white men the power to say "Do what I want you to do or I will call ICE" to any hispanic woman is a fucking horrible, disgusting thing to do. It's unbearable to even think about.

Or the person can go home to their legal country of citizenship...

People always have choice... if you wish to stay here understand that you may not have the opportunity for legal protection because you are here illegally.

Linkura

Many of these immigrants are leaving their country of citizenship due to violence and war. But "fuck them, got mines" because they weren't lucky enough to be born in a peaceful country, right?

Coolluck

Where does the white part come into play here?

Glix

People always have choice... if you wish to stay here understand that you may not have the opportunity for legal protection because you are here illegally.

What if you were brought here with no input at 5 years old and this is the only home you've known?

Where does the white part come into play here?

It disgusts me that that is your takeaway from my post. Sure it gives men of all colors the power to do that, but that doesn't invalidate my statement in any way. What I said is still true.

slit

This person is to blame for her crimes. It is black and white. If you want to stay, don't commit crimes. Period.

I'm not just talking about her. I'm talking about staking people out who are at a very low point of their lives outside of protective order courts. They didn't accomplish anything anyway. She has been sent back six times. You don't think she'll be back a seventh time?

Dude Abides

Banned

Let's create a shadow society where people are afraid to report crimes for fear of deportation. What could go wrong?

Coolluck

What if you were brought here with no input at 5 years old and this is the only home you've known?

It disgusts me that that is your takeaway from my post. Sure it gives men of all colors the power to do that, but that doesn't invalidate my statement in any way. What I said is still true.

I don't care what disgusts you with your drive to throw race and sex into this story. Yes, you're right about the domestic abuse angle. It's further reaching than that, though. It's also disturbing because it means they're less likely to get help anywhere. Shorted on a job? Can't do anything about it. Robbed and beaten? Nah, keep quiet. There's more to it than the race angle you injected to a story in El Paso of all places.

Is there an article or news piece that states her abusers race? I didn't see that in either of the two articles linked here, but I could have missed it.

BlitzKeeg

In the words of Bernie Sanders:

"Just because I have the option to buy a 50 million dollar home does not mean I have the money to buy a 50 million dollar home."

This concept applies to nearly everything in our society. These decisions aren't so simple and binary. Just because this person has the "choice" to stay in the United States doesn't mean it's in their best interest to do so.

Maybe when Trump fucks up the country to the point where we have to seek refuge in another nation people will understand the implications of "Go back to your own country. You have a choice."

wilsonda

In the words of Bernie Sanders:

"Just because I have the option to buy a 50 million dollar home does not mean I have the money to buy a 50 million dollar home."

This concept applies to nearly everything in our society. These decisions aren't so simple and binary. Just because this person has the "choice" to stay in the United States doesn't mean it's in their best interest to do so.

Maybe when Trump fucks up the country to the point where we have to seek refuge in another nation people will understand the implications of "Go back to your own country. You have a choice."

Option is not choice referring to bernies quaote but you have an excellent point that I did overly generalize the idea of choice and consequence.

Your last paragraph is funny rhetoric which kind of enforces my point. If the US got to a point in which I choose to move to another country, I would have the choice of doing so legally or illegally. If I choose to do so illegally, I should understand that my choice would have consequences.

Kumquat

It's a question....

You could have just helped me understand the terms better.

I showed everyone that I wasn't sure about what they mean when they said it.

Wtf, I've been here quite a bit and just because I don't post a lot means what? I freakin' didn't know what the term undocumented meant. So I freakin' asked. Jesus. Ask a question and you get attacked? ffs.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.

Welcome to why liberals lost the election 101.

Not a Trump supporter. Don't attack me fam! DON'T TAZE ME BRO!

Seriously though and on topic. I was waffling but the whole six time criminal thing makes me far less sympathetic, especially when she has been convicted for domestic abuse herself.

BibiMaghoo

I see this statement a fair bit now and it's quite amusing. It implies people were bullied into voting for the right, by people the right claim are special snowflakes and weak. I'm not sure the twist of that has ever been caught by someone actually mentioning it.

slit

Not a Trump supporter. Don't attack me fam! DON'T TAZE ME BRO!

Seriously though and on topic. I was waffling but the whole six time criminal thing makes me far less sympathetic, especially when she has been convicted for domestic abuse herself.

Welcome to I guess you didn't read the entire context of the thread. The user was being completely disingenuous based on post history.

Pizoxuat

Actions like this make it defacto legal to beat undocumented women because they can't report the abuse. ICE fucked up going after her at the hearing, unless raising the overall level of unsafety for undocumented women is now part of the mission.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The El Paso Times first broke the story Wednesday night, that ICE officials were tipped off on February 2 by the woman's alleged abuser, that his girlfriend, identified as IG in court documents was in the country illegally. He allegedly informed agents that IG would be at the courthouse on Thursday, January 9 for a court hearing to gain a protective order against him.

Court documents show that IG's boyfriend, was arrested and is being held in the El Paso County Detention Center on three counts of Forgery of a Financial Instrument and one count of Forgery of a Financial Instrument - Elderly.

Despite being identified as a man in federal documents, IG, who was living at the Center Against Sexual and Family Violence at the time of her apprehension and identifies as a transgender woman according to sources at the Center.

According to court documents, IG was apprehended by Border Patrol agents outside of the courthouse at 500 E. San Antonio in Downtown El Paso after leaving her court hearing regarding the protective order she filed against her alleged abuser. She was approached by US. Border Patrol Agents and was questioned as to whether she was a U.S. citizen.

IG admitted to being in the country illegally and was taken into custody and taken to the ICE Detention Center located on Montana Ave.

According to court documents, IG had been deported from the United States at least six times, most recently on January 23, 2016 through the Eagle Pass port of entry. She also had a criminal record which included convictions for Larceny-from Mails, False Imprisonment, Assault, Domestic Violence and a probation violation. None of those arrests were in El Paso County, according to jail records.

IG is still being held on a detainer from Homeland Security awaiting her removal from the United States.

Some more info. Woman was trans and her boyfriend tipped off ICE.

Linkura

Actions like this make it defacto legal to beat undocumented women because they can't report the abuse. ICE fucked up going after her at the hearing, unless raising the overall level of unsafety for undocumented women is now part of the mission.

Perfect summary of the situation. Thank you.

EMT0

Banned

Yep. They're probably patting themselves on the back for causing this.

This is exactly the point. People will not seek protection or justice if they are afraid that we will be punished for coming forward. This is incredibly chickenshit.

Tovarisc

oq80hKb.png

https://twitter.com/JoaquinCastrotx

EMT0

Banned
Including traffic tickets? This is just fucked up.

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. Speeding ticket? GG, goodbye. Jaywalking? Fuck outta here. Sneezed in a white person's direction? You're on the next truck out, boy. Fuck every person that voted for this cretin orange of a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom