• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICO cover

So I re-bought ICO thanks to CC, and I had forgotten how horrible the NA cover art for this wonderful game is :(

Then I remembered someone here had a high res pic of the (jp/pal?) great ICO cover and was hoping one of you kind souls could post that here? So I can print that out and replace this godawful atrocity SCEA thought was good art.

B'z-chan

Banned
yes please i need one too. It would be nice to print out one of these for my copy of ICO. Heck i wish they had a Art book i would love to enlarge some of the picture and make them into posters.

Psymon

JPN version
Front:
box1.jpg

Back:
box2.jpg

PAL version
Front:
Eurbox1.jpg

Back:
Eurbox2.jpg

Oh, and I got them from here -> http://hk.geocities.com/icofan/

The US cover makes me wonder if Sony even paid attention to the characters faces in the concept art and game, because they got nothing right about it other than Ico's clothing.

SolidSnakex said:
The US cover makes me wonder if Sony even paid attention to the characters faces in the concept art and game, because they got nothing right about it other than Ico's clothing.

yeap!!! WORST BOXART EVER!!! PEOPLE WHO MADE THAT SHOULD BE SHOT IN THE HEAD

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody feel like scanning a hi-res version of the PAL insert? :p

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Doh, suppose I'll print out the Japanese cover then.

Gribbix

The only problem with the PAL cover is that damn sticker they stuck on the paper cover (at least on my copy). Anyone suceed in removing it without tearing the cover?

Wow thanks guys, much appreciated:D

The jp/pal cover is truly amazing... A cover art that not only truly represents the game, it's also a work of art much like the game itself is.

It is absolutely one of the best cover artwork for a game ever, if not the best.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The only problem with the PAL cover is that damn sticker they stuck on the paper cover (at least on my copy)
I think (not sure) I had that sticker, and removed it just by slowly pulling it off.

PAL version of the game is seriously worth importing just for the box art + artwork inside alone. Even better if you have modded PS2 so you can play it (the game supports 60hz so it's should work) as it has several nice improvements over the US version.

de Chirico? I smell conspiracy
I think someone actually asked Ueda about it, and he laughed it off, saying it's just a coincidence :)

Burger

Not sure if these were in the NA version, but after completing the game there was a 2 player option (2p controlled Yorda) plus some neat filter effects you could turn on (think Silent Hill), like filmstrip, sepia tone etc.

fart

Savant
any SCEA insiders want to leak to us the name of the person responsible for that abomination of a cover? i think we should lynch him. nothing says loving like an angry mob

Rhindle

Ill Saint said:
The whole game seems like a tribute to De Chirico, the influence is unmistakable.
Have the developers ever said they were influenced by de Chirico? I can certainly see similarities between the cover art and "In the Street" (or whatever the one painting in question is called) -- but I don't really see parallels with his other work.

Ill Saint

Rhindle said:
Have the developers ever said they were influenced by de Chirico? I can certainly see similarities between the cover art and "In the Street" (or whatever the one painting in question is called) -- but I don't really see parallels with his other work.

Well, considering the painting you're refering to is just one of many paintings he did during his "Metaphysical" period (desolate, large monumental buildings, sharp contrasting shadows), there are definitely parallels outside this one painting. ICO follows these aesthetic themes very closely... the sense of isolation, looming architecture, saturated light.

I'd say it's easily more than coincidental, and the cover art is just a dead giveaway.

I bought and finished the game this weekend and I'm still digesting it; I'll probably write up a long paste later explaining why it's my favorite game since Majora's Mask. But I thought I saw someone talk about the significance of the WINDMILLs in an old-ass thread, but I didn't see any references at all.

reggieandTFE said:
I bought and finished the game this weekend and I'm still digesting it; I'll probably write up a long paste later explaining why it's my favorite game since Majora's Mask. But I thought I saw someone talk about the significance of the WINDMILLs in an old-ass thread, but I didn't see any references at all.

care to elaborate on the significance of the windmills?

Originally Posted by reggieandTFE:

care to elaborate on the significance of the windmills?

I truly don't remember and may have misunderstood a post (this was way before I played the game), that's why I was asking. The whole story was well done and impressionistic , but my curious side just wants to know some concrete details.

Ill Saint

No significance to the windmill as far as I know. Go to the ICO gamefaqs board. There is a huge thread there by Peter Elliot. He analyses ICO in an extremely well written, thoughtful and insightful manner, without any of the baseless speculation that is usually dreamt up by fans.

Top Bottom