• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 Village released 3 years ago

Puscifer

Time goes fast.

But I liked it a ton when it came out. There were secret areas and fights, and overall I felt the payoff was good. I also beat the DLC which was decent (when the combat actually gets fun it ends), but pales in comparison to Seperate Ways. I think VII hit higher highs, but Village is more consistent throughout. VII really goes down hard after the first 2 areas, Village sort of does not.

The problem with first person is that the melee etc takes a hit, which makes the fights less enjoyable and especially mercs. I played RE5 Mercs a fuckton, I played RE4R a ton, and Village I dropped after a few tries. It just doesn't work.

So Village, and VII, lack replay value found in the likes of RE2R, 3R and 4R to me. Therefore I hope Village was the end of the Winters Saga.
Vii and VIII have replay value in that you can figure out what isn't necessary and speed run the game. 7 was awesome for this and I enjoyed it a bunch because of that reason, first playthrough makes you do everything proper and when you figure out the lay of the land you can outright skip areas and gain access to items and weapons earlier.

luca_29_bg

Beside the gameplay style like a Resident evil 4 clone, basically, there rest it's terrible! Terrible story, completely ridicoulus, it's not science fiction anymore but something usable in a next final fantasy/devil may cry chapter. I paid 20 euro for this shit and i want my money back. Capcom will never get my money above 10 euro. And these will be still too much money! Let's not talk about that you can't see the face of the main character with the 3d person view. Grotesque, pathetic in any possible way!

really enjoyed it. I love the fact that, no matter how weird/dumb the shit gets in both 8 & 7, it all somehow still continues to work as 'resident evil' for me...

Astral Dog

Resident Evil 7 is one of my favorite games ever(the first person perspective was so freaking immersive) so i had high expectations going to RE Village.

Its a solid game,but always with Capcom they suddendly introduce drastic changes to sequels to appeal to a broad audience, in this case its not quite the tight horror experience that RE7 was

RE8 has more of a focus on shooting, wich isn't very good as the controls and enemy reaction doesn't feel right its too floaty, the setting is fantastic, but as a result they try lots of things and not all work as well,specially the third area, the plot is fine but i didn't like the main villain, Ethan is a good protagonist.

Overall its an 8/10 for me, it has memorable moments,but falls short of the greatness found in RE7 and RE4 since it tries to be an awkward stop in the middle

I also appreciate its a big love letter to gothic horror

Its good, but i know they can do better

Neff

Heck, how did i forget to mention this ? Man, that is some grade A bullshit and an absolute mood/atmosphere killer

It sets a really bad first impression if that's how you initially went in, like I did. I've started new games on hardcore numerous times and it doesn't get any better with experience. It's just a horrible, horrible section to endure. It's not tense. It's not harrowing. It's just annoying. Even the 'win screen' moment can be misinterpreted as an unfair death if you don't know what to look for. It's probably designed around NG+ but it feels like they didn't bother to test the functionality of it with a new save. The rest of the hardcore experience never spikes nearly as hard and is absolutely fine.

Awful blight on an otherwise fantastic game.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Resident Evil 7 is one of my favorite games ever(the first person perspective was so freaking immersive) so i had high expectations going to RE Village.

Its a solid game,but always with Capcom they suddendly introduce drastic changes to sequels to appeal to a broad audience, in this case its not quite the tight horror experience that RE7 was

RE8 has more of a focus on shooting, wich isn't very good as the controls and enemy reaction doesn't feel right its too floaty, the setting is fantastic, but as a result they try lots of things and not all work as well,specially the third area, the plot is fine but i didn't like the main villain, Ethan is a good protagonist.

Overall its an 8/10 for me, it has memorable moments,but falls short of the greatness found in RE7 and RE4 since it tries to be an awkward stop in the middle

I also appreciate its a big love letter to gothic horror

Its good, but i know they can do better
Good post. But also all of that is why I love RE8. If I want the scariest RE possible, I'll play RE7 (10/10, Platinumed it). If I want the best of action RE, I'm firing up RE4 Remake (10/10 GOTY all years, every year since 2005).

But if want more gnarly horror that chews me up, with a touch of OTT action? RE8 baby! Best of both worlds. Kinda.

bender

What time is it?
I think RE8 is the more even and overall better experience but the opening hour or so of Village is the high point of first person RE for me. I don't have much interest in what is next if they stay in that perspective.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
People complain that the story was no good but I absolutely loved it especially the overarching antagonist, a Lovecraftian soul eating fungus. Oh yeah, and in the DLC you actually get to go 'inside" of it.

I kind of like how they're going the Lovecraft route with the series here.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
It continues the trend of protagonists being infected and becoming op along with its dlc.

I think Chris is the only one relying on the powers of his muscles and pure testosterone.

OK, I just finished the Dimitrescu boss-fight last night and :

This, in 3rd person is so, so much better that its not even close...
You know what's weird ? That with the 1st person view, since everything is (literally) closer to you/in your face everything should feel more atmospheric and yet, I'm finding myself more immersed using the 3rd person one and I'm appreciating the art direction even more - there's some REALLY nice rooms in the castle which I hadn't really appreciated/paid attention to on my 1st playthrough.
Maybe it's got to do with the fact that while in 1st person view the FOV is smaller, therefore you can't really "take it all in" compared to when playing in 3rd person, but, besides that, I find that when the character is actually visible everything feels more immersive for me.
Also : people have commented that the 3rd person camera is tacked on since every cutscene is in FPV but, again, it's not a problem at all since the zoom in /out before and after each cutscene is basically seamless, besides, it's the exact opposite of something like - say - Halo and Wolfenstein where the gameplay is in FPV but the cutscenes in TPV.

I'm really glad I gave this another try since I'm enjoying it WAY more compared to my 1st playthrough, it now feels like an 8.5/10 experience to me compared to the 7, 7-5/10 that it was before.

Jolly good game and some of the weird shit makes more sense after having finished it already (like re-attaching your right hand after Last D. slices it off).

iorek21

3 years??? Jesus, time flys in a scary way.

Seemed like yesterday. What’s happening? It’s like we entered in another dimension post-COVID.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Loved RE8. Aesthetics, sound design, encounter design (I've only played through once, but the stand outs include the initial Village battle, a gauntlet in some stone Ruins, and the the baby) I absolutely love the anachronistic closed off Village vibe and I love castles even more, so this is a pretty stacked title for me.

Top Bottom