• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 Village released 3 years ago

Resident Evil (8) Village was released on May 7, 2021, which places its launch 4 years, 3 months, and 13 days after the release of Resident Evil 7 on January 24, 2017.

Now, i finished RE7 back in the day and while i did enjoy it...let's just say that i was (and still am) in the "RE should be in 3rd person only" camp so RE8 wasn't really on my radar, thing is, during the (horrible) COVID years, the release flow of new AAA games wasn't the best, sure, Playstation already had Returnal, Spiderman Miles Morales and Demon's Souls remake but on the xbox front things were different, so, in the end i couldn't resist and grabbed it for my XSX (please don't start the usual MS Vs Sony shit).

To sum it up, I did enjoy it, but it left me with feelings similar to those I had with RE7. While it was atmospheric, it didn't quite feel like a "proper" Resident Evil game, but rather more like a spinoff. Additionally, while the first-person camera does enhance the horror experience, it doesn't seem quite right for Resident Evil games.
Pros :
- Although the graphics were pretty static with no real or "next-gen" interaction they were pretty good and especially the character models.
- Art-direction, although derivative was pretty good (more on that later).
- Sound production is also Ok-good.
- Ethan's story concluded satisfactorily : things got explained and the ending was fitting.

Cons :
- it felt like a mishmash of ideas/concepts, it's like they didn't know exactly what to do with the whole esthetics/lore AND gameplay, with the village part they obviously wanted to take you back to the RE4 glory days which was OK since, IMO, this alongside the Castle part were the best parts of the game.
Then you have levels like the swamp, house Beneviento which they really tried their best to emulate something like PT (heavy emphasis on FP horror with no real action bits) and finally the factory which, both thematically and esthetically doesn't really vibe nor gel all that well with the rest of the (previous) levels.
What's funny to me though is that even then, it somehow felt more like a RE game due to its gritty atmosphere filled with those biomechanical monstrosities compared to all the previous Werewolf and Vampire shite.it's during that level that it truly becomes a typical, RE game where after reaching the mid/final point "everything clicks" and both the stakes and action ramp up - that Heisenberg (almost) turret boss section can die in a fire though.
It certainly seems as though Capcom had multiple concepts for various games, yet they ultimately combined and integrated these ideas as to release it as a mainline, numbered entry, things are way too wacky even for an RE game since the constant tone switching gets jarring.

- In general, the gameplay lacks a satisfying feel, the enemies are excessively fast, there's an absence of hit stun and their reactions are underwhelming compared to thee remakes and RE5.It often feels like one is striking cardboard cutouts. This issue becomes even more noticeable after playing the RE4 Remake, where the enemies' reactions are impressively dynamic and vary depending on the hit location.

...fast-forward to today :
I needed my survival horror fix and found the Gold edition on sale for 20 Eurodollars (it ends tomorrow in case you're interested, base game goes for 15) and thought of giving it another chance since i don't have my xbox anymore and AND because i also wanted to try the 3rd person camera which got introduced/patched in with the Winter's expansion DLC and...i'm actually enjoying more ?
The graphics have aged gracefully; although the RE Engine may be considered outdated/long in the tooth nowadays, RE8 still boasts a very polished and clean appearance/visuals. In contrast, the subsequent RE4 remake exhibits considerable shimmering and the character models, for some reason, appear more "cartoonish" and less photorealistic than those in RE8 - don't know how they managed that but, here we are (i suspect it had to do with optimization due to the denser/higher enemy numbers in RE4RE).
Atmosphere is still very good and the 3rd person camera, while obviously not RE2/3/4 Remake- level of attention and polish, is good enough to make the game feel different - not to mention "fresh".
There's still some apparent pop-up here 'n' there and the enemies are still bullet sponges (obviously).

Don't know if it's due to the 3rd person camera or just 'cause i'm in the right mood for a game of this nature but, all in all, even with all its faults, it's definitely a good and atmospheric game and i'm enjoying this way more now compared to my 1st playthrough.

So, after 3 years, what's your take on RE8 Village gentlemen ?

Cheers

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Resident Evil (8) Village was released on May 7, 2021, which places its launch 4 years, 3 months, and 13 days after the release of Resident Evil 7 on January 24, 2017.

Now, i finished RE7 back in the day and while i did enjoy it...let's just say that i was (and still am) in the "RE should be in 3rd person only" camp so RE8 wasn't really on my radar, thing is, during the (horrible) COVID years, the release flow of new AAA games wasn't the best, sure, Playstation already had Returnal, Spiderman Miles Morales and Demon's Souls remake but on the xbox front things were different, so, in the end i couldn't resist and grabbed it for my XSX (please don't start the usual MS Vs Sony shit).

To sum it up, I did enjoy it, but it left me with feelings similar to those I had with RE7. While it was atmospheric, it didn't quite feel like a "proper" Resident Evil game, but rather more like a spinoff. Additionally, while the first-person camera does enhance the horror experience, it doesn't seem quite right for Resident Evil games.
Pros :
- Although the graphics were pretty static with no real or "next-gen" interaction they were pretty good and especially the character models.
- Art-direction, although derivative was pretty good (more on that later).
- Sound production is also Ok-good.
- Ethan's story concluded satisfactorily : things got explained and the ending was fitting.

Cons :
- it felt like a mishmash of ideas/concepts, it's like they didn't know exactly what to do with the whole esthetics/lore AND gameplay, with the village part they obviously wanted to take you back to the RE4 glory days which was OK since, IMO, this alongside the Castle part were the best parts of the game.
Then you have levels like the swamp, house Beneviento which they really tried their best to emulate something like PT (heavy emphasis on FP horror with no real action bits) and finally the factory which, both thematically and esthetically doesn't really vibe nor gel all that well with the rest of the (previous) levels.
What's funny to me though is that even then, it somehow felt more like a RE game due to its gritty atmosphere filled with those biomechanical monstrosities compared to all the previous Werewolf and Vampire shite.it's during that level that it truly becomes a typical, RE game where after reaching the mid/final point "everything clicks" and both the stakes and action ramp up - that Heisenberg (almost) turret boss section can die in a fire though.
It certainly seems as though Capcom had multiple concepts for various games, yet they ultimately combined and integrated these ideas as to release it as a mainline, numbered entry, things are way too wacky even for an RE game since the constant tone switching gets jarring.

- In general, the gameplay lacks a satisfying feel, the enemies are excessively fast, there's an absence of hit stun and their reactions are underwhelming compared to thee remakes and RE5.It often feels like one is striking cardboard cutouts. This issue becomes even more noticeable after playing the RE4 Remake, where the enemies' reactions are impressively dynamic and vary depending on the hit location.

...fast-forward to today :
I needed my survival horror fix and found the Gold edition on sale for 20 Eurodollars (it ends tomorrow in case you're interested, base game goes for 15) and thought of giving it another chance since i don't have my xbox anymore and AND because i also wanted to try the 3rd person camera which got introduced/patched in with the Winter's expansion DLC and...i'm actually enjoying more ?
The graphics have aged gracefully; although the RE Engine may be considered outdated/long in the tooth nowadays, RE8 still boasts a very polished and clean appearance/visuals. In contrast, the subsequent RE4 remake exhibits considerable shimmering and the character models, for some reason, appear more "cartoonish" and less photorealistic than those in RE8 - don't know how they managed that but, here we are (i suspect it had to do with optimization due to the denser/higher enemy numbers in RE4RE).
Atmosphere is still very good and the 3rd person camera, while obviously not RE2/3/4 Remake- level of attention and polish, is good enough to make the game feel different - not to mention "fresh".
There's still some apparent pop-up here 'n' there and the enemies are still bullet sponges (obviously).

Don't know if it's due to the 3rd person camera or just 'cause i'm in the right mood for a game of this nature but, all in all, even with all its faults, it's definitely a good and atmospheric game and i'm enjoying this way more now compared to my 1st playthrough.

So, after 3 years, what's your take on RE8 Village gentlemen ?

Cheers
I just replayed it recently too. And I still really liked it. Didnt go much on the dlc though, but maybe I was just ready to move on after the main campaign. Looking forward to another run at some point. Personally I loved the first person perspective and exploring the castle was probably my favourite part.

PSA for those that don't want to read all that :

The base game goes for 15 Eurodollars while the Gold edition (Base game + Rose story DLC + new characters/stages for The Mercenaries+3rd person camera mode) for 20 on PSN - deals end in 12 hours

Cheers

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Guess I really should play 7 and 8.

Any worthy DLC? I already own the base games.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I like RE8 as a higher mid tier RE game. RE7 is kinda just OK but anything after 6 was gonna be praised all it had to do was not be garbage.

Three years have really passed since it launched? Wtf... Great game, but like RE7, the first half was more interesting to play than the second (apart from the end which I was not expecting at all).

I know right ? We were still early gen, how time flies by ...😉
Also : agreed, although on 2nd thought, the Factory level wasn't actually bad and it's where the game truly became RE.

And yeah, I didn't see that ending coming either.

It's a game with stellar production values but...it still remains "weird" for a lack of a better word.

Last edited:

Aion002

Just like 7, I finished once and it was ok, but I will never play it again, the opposite of RE0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, which I finished multiple times each.

Also, 8 has the worst mercenaries mode made so far... It's just unfun.

MDSLKTR

Proud of having over 100 hours on it, memorable but a bit too anime for my tastes. RE7 is better and so is RE4 (VR).

Švejk

I've owned the game for almost 2 years now, but refuse to play it until I can get my hands on (afford) a PSVR2. RE7 on PSVR1 reached a unheard of level of fucking awesome.

Neff

Apart from the fact that the opening Lycan siege is an absolute lottery of shit on hardcore which practically begs you to resort to cheap exploits, the game is absolutely incredible, and by far the best RE Engine title until the RE4 remake came along. I went through it again last month and absolutely loved it. Skip the DLC though.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Frankly, every RE game since 7 has been somewhere between good and incredible. Not a single dud. Let’s not take that for granted.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Because it was in first person I was not interested in it. But after RE4( and the DLC) I got a need for re games and replayed 3 and 2 remakes. It got so bad that I decided to play it. Not bad. But honestly I prefer the remakes. I hope that RE 9 is not first person.

Alebrije

I just killed a lady vampire..so I Guess I am just begining the Game...but compared to 7 this Game still no gives me the fear/scary factor 7 has. Maybe the more I advance this Will change but the classic wolf/vampire Setup gives little surprise factor.

After RE 4 all games have been good to average, no one WoW!!? And 5 is a joke. At least 7 is good and 8 seems Will be a good one too.

Matt_Fox

Really good game, but if pushed I'd say I preferred the action-packed RE4 and RE5 over the more atmospheric RE7 and RE8. I guess I like the gunplay more than the exploring.

The slow tension ratchet in RE8 leading to the bit with the mutant baby was brilliant though!

NickFire

I never played 7 but absolutely loved 8.

For reference, I played 8 as a standalone experience. I never played a RE game since the original. I cannot comment on how it compares to the other entries. As a standalone experience I think its a great game for horror fans.

Muffdraul

I enjoyed RE8 3 years ago. I remember virtually nothing about it, and about a year ago I tried to re-play it on PS5 but quit after about an hour out of boredom. But I enjoyed it when it was new.

stn

How comparable is it to 4 if I play it in third-person? Have been meaning to finally buy this, and RE3: R.

SkylineRKR

Time goes fast.

But I liked it a ton when it came out. There were secret areas and fights, and overall I felt the payoff was good. I also beat the DLC which was decent (when the combat actually gets fun it ends), but pales in comparison to Seperate Ways. I think VII hit higher highs, but Village is more consistent throughout. VII really goes down hard after the first 2 areas, Village sort of does not.

The problem with first person is that the melee etc takes a hit, which makes the fights less enjoyable and especially mercs. I played RE5 Mercs a fuckton, I played RE4R a ton, and Village I dropped after a few tries. It just doesn't work.

So Village, and VII, lack replay value found in the likes of RE2R, 3R and 4R to me. Therefore I hope Village was the end of the Winters Saga.

RE2 Remake > RE4 Remake > RE7 > RE8.
How comparable is it to 4 if I play it in third-person? Have been meaning to finally buy this, and RE3: R.
RE8 shows it's age for sure in comparison to RE4. To me, the combat in RE8 works best in first-person. Doesn't feel great in third-person, most notably in Shadow of Rose. Whereas in RE4 Remake the third-person combat is extremely polished and fluid.

Apart from the fact that the opening Lycan siege is an absolute lottery of shit on hardcore which practically begs you to resort to cheap exploits, the game is absolutely incredible, and by far the best RE Engine title until the RE4 remake came along. I went through it again last month and absolutely loved it. Skip the DLC though.
Heck, how did i forget to mention this ? Man, that is some grade A bullshit and an absolute mood/atmosphere killer since A) you don't know what to do (game doesnt exactly tell you) B) it's no fun and C) it destroys any kind of flow the game has up to that point since restarting/dying for an hour straight on Hard isn't what i'd call a good opening/intro
I just killed a lady vampire..so I Guess I am just begining the Game...but compared to 7 this Game still no gives me the fear/scary factor 7 has. Maybe the more I advance this Will change but the classic wolf/vampire Setup gives little surprise factor.

After RE 4 all games have been good to average, no one WoW!!? And 5 is a joke. At least 7 is good and 8 seems Will be a good one too.
Yeah, besides the dungeon encounters early game and another part which you'll reach later on it's not exactly "scary".
Atmospheric ? sure, Scary though ? nope, besides, game's too wacky for its own good most of the time which makes most encounters non-scary.

I mean, it works but it obviously isn't as good as RE4RE's since the game was obviously made with 1st person in mind.
Animations aren't as good but, again, it works ;)

liked it more than i thought i would
castle was cool but super short, and the main lady boss fight was embarrassingly bad.

felt like RE lite, but have to admit, had a good time.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Much better than 7. I had a great time with it. I liked that it tried different things.
Agreed. I thought it was miles beyond RE7, and I loved 7. RE7, 8, 2make, and 4make are some of the best games in the series. Definitely the best bunch of RE games we've gotten in quick succession. All of them could be argued to be RE1make and OG RE4 quality level games with love and care put into them. We're living in a series renaissance and so many people take it for granted. It blows my mind.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
7b68b519912dd66f9b6a3c5081735642fdf997e7.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally will never be in to first person Resident Evil, I honestly much prefer they go back to fix camera in original RERemake over FPS.

coffinbirth

JFC! Three years already? Really?!? Goddamn. Father Time is indeed a motherfucker.

My copy is still sealed on a shelf in the mancave due to the insanity of my backlog coupled with GamePass. I played through RE7 and enjoyed it at launch...but then a bunch of DLC and VR got added, so I waited for the dust to settle there, got a PSVR and just never made it back to RE7, largely bc the PSVR experience was...not great for actual gaming experiences for me in the migraine/nausea department, so there it all sat. Time moved on and RE8 releases...I had rewards points about to expire, so I got it at launch. I then sat with two sealed RE games, RE7 Gold for PS4, and RE8 for Xbox. For whatever reason, (my OCD bullshit reasoning) I refused to play RE8 until I finished off the DLC and possibly VR mode for RE7...and that brings us to today, where 3 damned years later, I still haven't touched any of it.

Anyone else do this? Not play a sequel because you didn't play or finish it's predecessor? Or DLC, haha. I've done it since like, Shenmue II. Never played Skyrim because I got lost in The Shivering Isles. Probably dozens more, ugh.
It's logical for narrative driven games or obviously connected story-wise, etc. But I feel like this might be taking it to the extreme.

Honestly, the entire gaming industry could pack it all in and close up shop tomorrow and I could retire and devote every waking hour to my backlog and it still wouldn't be enough time to get through it all before this meat sack erodes to nothingness.

Top Bottom