• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Id's new game......might well be Hexen.

We know that apparently Id was working on a redo of an older game, and most thought it was Quake due to it being an older id IP, and owned by Bethesda, but they could well be working in Hexan. Jez said that he would put money on it that their game is Hexan, and Phil wouldn't have been wearing that Tshirt for shits and giggles.

Apparently Bethesda owns the publishing rights for PC, and Activision owns the rights for console?
A re-imagining of Hexan in idtech? Sign me up.

Buggy Loop

car sliding GIF

Don’t need to know more than that for day 1

I dunno, you totally sure about that?

I'm pretty sure he knows "Phil's Shelf" has become stuff of internet memes and legends and he purposely puts stuff up there just to make people wonder about it.
He is the king of cake crumbs.
I think he has adopted that reputation and is running with it.

Robb

Gold Member
Never played Hexen. I’d be intrigued to try it out though.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Seems a no-brainer at this point. You don't send an intern to the mall to laminate a fucking Hexen picture on a t-shirt right before your mayor event for nothing.

mrmustard

Banned
Seems a no-brainer at this point. You don't send an intern to the mall to laminate a fucking Hexen picture on a t-shirt right before your mayor event for nothing.
In theory he could just love retro games or want to show the world he is a nerd and gamer to collect some bonus points. But i hope we'll see something new from Hexen soon.

niilokin

Doesn't Activision / Raven still hold the license...? I would think it's still Quake or something Doom universe related, Marty said during Doom Eternal development that they aren't building just another Doom game, they are building the Doom universe. If they acquired Hexen rights would they try to integrate the lore into Doom somehow?

Hudo

We know that apparently Id was working on a redo of an older game, and most thought it was Quake due to it being an older id IP, and owned by Bethesda, but they could well be working in Hexan. Jez said that he would put money on it that their game is Hexan, and Phil wouldn't have been wearing that Tshirt for shits and giggles.

Apparently Bethesda owns the publishing rights for PC, and Activision owns the rights for console?
A re-imagining of Hexan in idtech? Sign me up.
My heart skipped a beat.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’d take an updated Hexen remaster, which it’d likely be.

Better be free on PC for people that own it, Phil. Do it right.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Honest question, Activision seems to own the overarching rights to the Heretic/Hexen IP, so how is this supposed to work?

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hexen wasn't very good.

Edit: i'm not sure what the empathy reactions are for. I'd hardly call this game series beloved. It was okay at best. I don't see how many people could be hyped for this game. If this happens instead of Quake that'd be a shame since that's a much better game series.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

This reminds me that I still haven't played Black Crypt. EA should have used that name instead if they wanted to make a Hexen spoiler game, much better sounding than "Immortals of Aveum" which sounds like the sort of wet fart of a name that Bioware would come up with.

Last edited:
The question is, is the IP considered profitable enough in the current market? There is too much at stake for failures nowadays.
Personally I wouldn't mind a modern but faithful take on Hexen, but I don't think there is a large enough market for it. Then again they pulled off Doom succesfully and big budget marketing can help a lot.

Holammer

While I'd love to see a Hexen game, I fear a new game would include all sorts of annoying modern stuff like constant cut-scenes interrupting the flow, bombastic setpieces, glory kill mechanic (yay, watching the same canned animations 100's of times for health and ammo), tutorials, huge super diverse cast of characters to keep track of, an overly complex story. Roguelike elements for replayability (hey, that could work!).

Just keep it simple and let the player dive into hordes of enemies with axe in hand.

diffusionx

Gold Member
a lot of stretching in OP's "analysis" but the shirt is a dead giveaway they are doing something with the franchise. That said it could be a while - IIRC Phil was wearing a Battletoad shirt years before that crappy sequel was announced

Hexen was cool, though I would like it if they dont turn it into an arena shooter like they did with doom. I loved 2016 and liked eternal, but prefer the old school level design ethos over the more modern arena level design ethos.

Riky

$MSFT
I still think it will be Quake myself and we'll hear about it at Quakecon. I wouldn't mind Hexen and Heretic coming back if they purchase Activision though.

simpatico

I'd much rather get Quake, but id is tooled up for single player games, and Quake has too much expectations for multiplayer. This news does make some slightly depressing sense.

StueyDuck

Hexen was one of those games I played like once on my friends PC when I was a kid, I don't remember it clicking with me.

I am very curious to see what modern ID can do with it.

MiguelItUp

I honestly think it'd be Quake over anything else because it'd feel odd to see Wolfenstein and DOOM get love, but not Quake. Quake Champions doesn't count, lol. I know Phil has mentioned he'd love seeing Hexen revisited. Hell, I'd love it too. A Heretic/Hexen remake, a reboot/sequel, I don't care. I'd love them either way.

Top Bottom