• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If a new thief is announced, what gameplay mechanics would you like to see?

samoilaaa

What would you like to see from a new Thief game ?

Open world or hub based ?

Single player or optional co op ?

Any magica or keep it simple ?

Should it have a skill tree /rpg elements like most games these days ?

Would it be a problem if Garret wouldnt be the protagonist ?

RagnarokIV

No open world, no objective marker, no detective vision, no marking enemies, no minimap.

Freedom in medium-large levels, underlying spookiness and horror in at least 1 mission.

90s design sensibilities but with modern QOL.

Stephen Russell

No skill tree shit

The general atmosphere and ambience that you only felt with Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock etc.

Synthesized ambient soundtrack that's a callback to the SoundBlaster days with plenty of creepy atmosphere (no modern atonal drone crap or hollywood on a budget sounds) - think Thief, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell 1, Hitman: Codename 47 etc.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Souls like of course.

JK. I want to see an openeorld Victorian setting, but certain areas gated off metroidvania style.
Highly dense world where every building is enterable/stealable.
As player earns more money and experience from stealing, he can buy newer equipment that makes it possible to acces gated off areas.
story progression that takes into account the open world metroid vania nature. No sidequests. Everything you do is in service to the main progression.
Certain building are large, like castles and mansions that tie much more into the main story and are essential to progress.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

No open world, no objective marker, no detective vision, no marking enemies, no minimap.

Freedom in medium-large levels, underlying spookiness and horror in at least 1 mission.

90s design sensibilities but with modern QOL.

Stephen Russell

No skill tree shit

The general atmosphere and ambience that you only felt with Deus Ex, Thief, System Shock etc.

Synthesized ambient soundtrack that's a callback to the SoundBlaster days with plenty of creepy atmosphere (no modern atonal drone crap or hollywood on a budget sounds) - think Thief, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell 1, Hitman: Codename 47 etc.
a game like that would be very hard to sell these days , how do you expect modern gamers to find out where to go and what do do without any markers :messenger_tears_of_joy:

To be honest, I'd just want them to stick to the old formula for the most part.
  • Garret as the protagonist. He talks during missions, but only if it's relevant. No stupid quips or lame remarks every time you dodge an arrow or knock someone out.
  • Discrete missions instead of an open world. Maybe add a hub level or something, but keep it separate from the mission areas.
  • Higher difficulty = additional objectives and loot requirements.
  • No markers or minimap. Bring back the old, incomplete hand-drawn maps with question marks and shit.
  • Seamless stealth takedowns that don't take you out of first person view or lock you into micro-cutscenes like in the newer Deus Ex and Doom games. You club someone over the head and they go down. That's it.
I have zero trust AAA devs or publishers would get this right, though. If Thief were to make a comeback, I'd want a smaller studio at the helm, ideally one that has a few people on staff that both made missions of their own and played a shitton of missions made by other fans.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I have no nostalgia for Theif because I never played it as a kid. Deadly Shadows was probably the most of what I played of that series, followed by the 2014 reboot, so I would like it to be like Deadly Shadows, but with the level of interactivity and first-person animations that the 2014 reboot had.

samoilaaa

I have no nostalgia for Theif because I never played it as a kid. Deadly Shadows was probably the most of what I played of that series, followed by the 2014 reboot, so I would like it to be like Deadly Shadows, but with the level of interactivity and first-person animations that the 2014 reboot had.
there wasnt alot of interactivity in 2014 one

Verchod

Just mimic, or even remaster the first two games. I'd like Full Ray Tracing, with AI that can respond to any Shadows or reflections created by the player. It would look cool and also be useful.

Wildebeest

I would say, don't go down the path of having x-ray vision and crazy abilities that teleport you or latch onto things for canned animations. What it should have is really dark places and a realistic sound propagation model, so you are always trying to work out what sounds mean. Then you should have gadgets that synergise with systems like lighting and sound propagation. But the effects should not be so subtle that you are left guessing if they are doing anything at all.

Last edited:
As some have already touched upon in this thread. I want an entirely rebuilt experience of Thief: The Dark Project from the ground up and the same with Thief: The Metal Age & Deadly Shadows. The first game is my favourite though due to the occult and paranormal elements, though I've personally never been interested in the fusion of technology in a medieval setting.

Check out this video to see one of the more unnerving enemies in the game:

GrayFoxPL

Thief GIF

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

brian0057

Banned
I don't trust anyone these days to do this masterpiece of a trilogy any justice.
So I'll just keep playing The Dark Mod for my modern day Thief fix.

Cyberpunkd

a game like that would be very hard to sell these days , how do you expect modern gamers to find out where to go and what do do without any markers :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The same way modern gamers did 20 years ago.

But this is the only answer - no markers, no hyper detailed maps of a century old crypt (who made this map?), no hiding coins in plain sight to pat the gamer on the head for 30 seconds of exploration.

Basically just remake original games with better graphics.

Last edited:

Hudo

What would you like to see from a new Thief game ?

Open world or hub based ?

Single player or optional co op ?

Any magica or keep it simple ?

Should it have a skill tree /rpg elements like most games these days ?

Would it be a problem if Garret wouldnt be the protagonist ?
No open-world, for god's sake. Thief and Deus Ex games work best when they are hub-based with purposefully designed open-ended levels. Focus on single-player and continue with the setting as it was in Thief 2, magic-steampunk stuff. No skill-tree; make it item-based and like in Thief 1 and 2. And rely on the player's skill to deduce situations, read patterns (of guards, environmental stuff and architectural clues, etc.) and generally to have common sense. But I am not sure if the new generation of ADHD-ridden retards can actually stomach a slow, methodical stealth game. So what they actually will do is to make some sort of Splinter Cell: Conviction equivalent. Style and spectacle over substance.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Souls like of course.

JK. I want to see an openeorld Victorian setting, but certain areas gated off metroidvania style.
Highly dense world where every building is enterable/stealable.
As player earns more money and experience from stealing, he can buy newer equipment that makes it possible to acces gated off areas.
story progression that takes into account the open world metroid vania nature. No sidequests. Everything you do is in service to the main progression.
Certain building are large, like castles and mansions that tie much more into the main story and are essential to progress.

I like this pitch.

Especially the idea of all of the potential targets being available from the beginning, just with a wide range of difficulty. Where you need to level up your capabilities to have a real shot at pulling off the different tiers. With maybe certain equipment being required for access, like you suggested.

hyperbertha

I like this pitch.

Especially the idea of all of the potential targets being available from the beginning, just with a wide range of difficulty. Where you need to level up your capabilities to have a real shot at pulling off the different tiers. With maybe certain equipment being required for access, like you suggested.
With much more game design effort, you can elevate it to open world immersive sim status, by making all areas accessible multiple ways rather than a fixed equipment, so whichever ability you level up will get you in. But this is MUCH harder to design as an open world.

Zannegan

Regardless of whether they go open world or hub, I just want to see the world react to your actions, a sort of city-wide nemesis system.

In that vein, death aside, I'd love to see a Thief that has no game over screens. Set that reactive world up in such a way that it makes it possible to fail a heist (or succeed mightily) and have the story continue with repercussions from your actions playing out in real time.

I'd gladly trade scope of the world or size of the map in exchange for replayability. I know procedural generation has become a dirty word, and hand crafted environments and encounters are elevated (for good reason). However, a certain amount of randomization--more in terms of guards, traps, and treasures and their locations than the actual layout of the city or structures--could not only keep the replayability high, but maintain that all important tension as you will have to manage risk v. reward while deciding to delve deeper into a patrolled house in search of a treasure that might not, after all, even be there.

Again, there has to be more to it than simple randomization every time you enter the house, as it would have to make sense within the context of the particular house owners at that moment in the story, and players would need to be able to research/case their targets so they aren't just blundering around in hopes of stumbling across a treasure.

In sum, a shorter, tighter experience in which the player can make meaningful choices and mistakes that actually impact the world and the story is my ideal Thief revival. Or, in Warren Spector's terms, make sure "playstyle matters." It's a big ask in the age of bloat, but it would be something special.

Last edited:

SCB3

Either give it to:

Arkane and make it like Dishonored

or

The devs of Gloomwood and make it like the first 3

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Dishonored 1/2 scrath that Thief itch perfectly, to be honest. Including Russel.

New Thief? At the bare minimum: No Rhianna Pratchett in sight, Colantonio as lead, tight gameplay that is wrapped around the in-game lighting and rope arrows. That would be a good start even with a modest budget.

Red5

The search mechanic in Thief 4 was one of the few good additions to the franchise from that game. They could have a fast but noisy search action vs a slow but stealth search action.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
You know how Thief 1 and 2 played? Like that. Hell, just make a new campaign using the mod tools. I don't even need fancy new graphics. Just don't fuck it up like they fucked up THI4F.

Top Bottom