• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Blizzard created a Pride Event for Overwatch during Pride Month...

Was pride month made official before or after the shooting in Orlando?

Should pride month be celebrated in a game were we shoot each other with guns with the intent of killing other people?

Optics

Wow, no trans love.

Platy, you slacking on me :p

Honestly while I like the overall idea, a lot of those costumes are more garish than fun or whimsical.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
"Where's my event. . ." for starters. And then there's the idea that you can reduce a lifestyle or group of people to skin swaps and not get blowback for it.
I mean it's really more about gay celebrities than anything. I'm not saying OP's version is the right thing to do, but a Gay Pride event could work.

Was pride month made official before or after the shooting in Orlando?

Should pride month be celebrated in a game were we shoot each other with guns with the intent of killing other people?

Optics
It was before...
Mercy: "Yeah, I'm straight but Rupaul is dope as fuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkk"

also, probably give the Rupaul skin to someone else MERCY HAS TOO MANY SKINS
There shouldn't be a RuPaul skin since he kind of sucks tbh

Saganator

Would be a good way to get rid of some of the shit stains in the community, but unfortunately they have $$ that Blizzard wants. Very cool idea, though!

Gradon

Wow, no trans love.

Honestly while I like the overall idea, a lot of those costumes are more garish than fun or whimsical.

Laverne Cox - Orange is the New Black skin? :p

Also I've been told before my tastes are rather garish so I'm amused you used that word.

Piers

I like the characters depth in LGBT and fhat promotes a wider spectrum of sexuality to me. Gay Pride event feels like it'd be pushing a little too hard on the acceptance agenda, though I can see why it'd be fun.

Drackhorn

Concern trolls and homophobes don't want you to have this either, FWIW. Anything remotely gay is 'political' to them.
I know. Some people will always complain about dateable same sex possibilities in games but I'm sure studios as Bioware and Bethesda will never buckle under that pressure.

Brannon

Wow, no trans love.

See, this could go one of two ways.

1. One of the characters is trans, FtM or MtF. And the MtF is gonna cause the internet to die a ball of hateful rage because OverWaifu is just that powerful and you know the baser elements can't handle it. It will be horrible and glorious.

2. One of the characters is trans, HtO or OtH (Human to Omnic/Omnic to Human). The greatest twist in game because some of the Human characters HATE Omnics so that would cause a lore bomb of epic proportions. Omnics among us in a way previously unprecedented. They could be a friend, a lover, a leader of the world, ANYBODY.

Blizzard has a great opportunity here.

See, this could go one of two ways.

1. One of the characters is trans, FtM or MtF. And the MtF is gonna cause the internet to die a ball of hateful rage because OverWaifu is just that powerful and you know the baser elements can't handle it. It will be horrible and glorious.

2. One of the characters is trans, HtO or OtH (Human to Omnic/Omnic to Human). The greatest twist in game because some of the Human characters HATE Omnics so that would cause a lore bomb of epic proportions.

Blizzard has a great opportunity here.

Eh, I don't like the old "FtM/MtF" terms.

Honestly any of the current female character could be trans, even D.Va has that whole Shinji/D.Va meme. I could see a really interesting thing arise from Sombra or even Symmetra being revealed as trans. At the same time, trans dudes tend to be forgotten a lot when it comes to representation so...

If they did a Pride month would Blizzard have to create a separate server for Russia to block it?
I know that in Heroes of the Storm, a particular skin for Abathur (where he's basically a giant skull) is blocked in China. Apparently skulls and skeletons give off bad vibes in China. Chinese players cannot purchase that skin in the store, and if someone from another country were to play with that skin in an Asian server, Chinese players would simply see the standard skin for that character. They would likely do something similair if there were to be a pride event. The entire event would probably be absent from those regions.

I don't know. It's a nice thought but feels a bit too political? If something that's meant to be a fun event splits the fan base (as wrong as it is, it shouldn't be the case - people should be better than this) then it's probably a bad idea.

ITT i learned LGBTQ+ people's existence is political, and so should be avoided from gaming events because muh evasion of reality and muh alienation of bigot fanbase.

Things will never change i guess...

Phu

Banned
ITT i learned LGBTQ+ people's existence is political, and so should be avoided from gaming events because muh evasion of reality and muh alienation of bigot fanbase.

Things will never change i guess...

Plenty of things are political that don't need to be. If they weren't political, we wouldn't have to say they weren't. The existence of LGBTQ+ shouldn't be political, but it is. ffs, US just elected Trump and neo-Nazis are speaking up, for the time being, it's political. Step 1: Take power away from people who think they can electroshock the gay out of people.

DrArchon

Even if Blizzard had a Pride event in Overwatch that was in literally every country on the planet except for Russia somehow, it'd still probably get banned in Russia. Hell, they might ban every Blizzard game.

I'd love for them to go whole hog on LGBTQ+ stuff to stick it to the bigots out there, but I completely understand why they're keeping that kind of diversity on the down low. It sucks, but that's how the business world works unfortunately. At least Tracer is allowed to be gay outside of the game.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Blizzard is a business, and wouldn't risk having their games permanently banned in Russia.

Some kind of pacific brawl/event like the Lucio rocket-league-rip-off of the summer games would be better than what the OP is suggesting for a new game mode.

I'm in for the meltdown. The community is more toxic than ever these past weeks, it's a nice way to get the trolls to leave!

Nev

Banned
I know that in Heroes of the Storm, a particular skin for Abathur (where he's basically a giant skull) is blocked in China. Apparently skulls and skeletons give off bad vibes in China. Chinese players cannot purchase that skin in the store, and if someone from another country were to play with that skin in an Asian server, Chinese players would simply see the standard skin for that character.

If you think that's bad take a look at League of Legends. When Tencent bought Riot whole characters and skins were altered so they didn't show any bones. Everything remotely related to skeletons is just zombified now. It sucks because before they just had different versions of the characters where they covered up their faces or something, but now the whole worldwide population of League of Legends is essentially deprived of spooky skeletons or anything bone related because chinese people can't... look at bones? I don't even think people, let alone the people who play Lol in China actually care about that. Whatever tho.

Anyways, I'd love this to happen if only to see the meltdowns of triggered straight 16-yo Reaper/Hanzo/Genji tryhards. You can already get a taste of it here with the Gaga haters.

.JayZii

Banned
Is that the actual heterosexual flag? What a bummer.

Maybe some Shuji Terayama imagery or Yukio Mishima for Hanzo or Genji? *shrug*
oCRa9kZ.jpg

gh9ZV4R.jpg

Kenai

Are we...not allowed to not like an artist or something???

Who said you couldn't? It's about the why. I'm not a fan of most of Gaga's music but i certainly love her activism.

On the OP, I would like it to just be another holiday event with relevant skins, voice lines, sprays and player icons.

I think it'd be cool, and fuck the people who would rage over it. Unfortunately Blizzard isn't allowed to think that way because they are a business.

I think a Valentine's event would have been a great way to expand on the LGBT aspects of the game, without pissing a bunch of people off. But they confirmed that they won't be having one of those. So to do a pride event now would piss people off even more.

Again, it sucks that Blizz has to listen to these people, but they are kind of forced to.

Nev

Banned
Are we...not allowed to not like an artist or something???

You can, but most people who "hate" her think she's a shallow autotuned Pokerface singer. Truth is, she is an awesome person that has done a whole lot for minorities, especially LGTB, and turns out she's actually a truly talented artist too, so hating on her is the kind of thing I'd expect an edgelord Reaper main to do.

Top Bottom