• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Blizzard created a Pride Event for Overwatch during Pride Month...

Shaanyboi

Banned
I support pride and I think a skin for tracer would be awesome and some sprays but a full on event? No thanks. Just like I wouldn't want a Canada day event, July 4th event, any other event like that. Stick to the classics.
The classics like... Year of the Rooster?

overwatch-rooster1.jpg

Dreavus

The classics like... Year of the Rooster?

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/insertcoin/files/2017/01/overwatch-rooster1.jpg?width=960[img][/QUOTE]

If Dota is anything to go by it's approaching classic status if not already there. These games are all huge in Asia.

Black_Red

I like the idea but most of those skins themes are ugly (well, that would fit overwatch) and most people wouldn't understand those references.

That Hetero spray sounds like a bad idea. Trolls are going to place that everywhere.

I'm pretty all of the other sprays would be used on dead bodies and then teabagged.

I think my statement that you quoted came off sounding a bit harsher than I intended it to. But I kind of appreciate that Overwatch is a game where I can have a cool, diverse selection of characters, and then escape from reality into its fantasy world where the most important part of a person's character is if they know how to push a payload or not.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. I mean, by having a diverse cast and inclusive group of characters, the game kind of is accomplishing the message it wants to send. It doesn't need to overtly talk these themes because, well, it's an online multiplayer game, which is not really the best avenue for this type of discussion.

As with most things in the game, whether it's a character's sexuality or mental health or socioeconomic background - it really only matters if you're interested in enough in that to actually read the comics or watch the cinematics and keep up with the lore.

On the topic of the actual OP, I think a full on pride event could come off as a little garish or even tacky. Maybe just 1-2 skins and/or an acknowledgement of Pride - a whole event would be cool, but I'm just not sure there's enough source material to make a full event's worth of stuff. The things in the first post are hilarious, though.

THIS IS A REALLY BAD IDEA

D.VA'S MEKA CLEARLY SHOULD BE A GIANT TOTO INSTEAD

(real talk, I'd be into the Elton John and Dorothy costumes, and also the Boy George one except I think most people wouldn't get the reference)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Has almost no chance of happening. And if you think only homophobes or bigots are the only ones who would have issue with this you've got another thing coming.

As much as I don't get the craze for the overwatch characters and 'story' if you can call it that (not against it- just don't understand it) - this would be awesome. Go for it blizz!

SoulUnison

Banned
Maybe it's because I'm straight, but none of those skins really appeal to me. I like the Dorothy idea, but more because it's a classic image.

I'm gay and this all sounds tacky and flamboyant as hell.
Especially all the different "flag" sprays. When did sexuality and gender politics get so confusing and circle-jerky?

Dorothy skin for D-Va would be ace, though, and that Mercy idea is actually pretty cool.

Making your entire identity revolve around your sexual preference is cringy on its own, but I really hate when people look at drag shows and all these over-the-top reality TV personalities chewing scenery for the camera and think: "Yeah, that's a good representation of gay people."
I think my ideal "Pride Event" would be a bunch of skins of characters in casual everyday wear with tiny fine print that says "Also, he/she/it(omnics) might be gay, maybe! It's not really any of your business!"

Maybe it's because I'm straight that I don't really jump for joy at this (plus the fact that I wouldn't recognize 90% of the costumes for the characters oops...). But if it helps bring more acceptance to people who for too long have been attacked for even just existing then hopefully this kind of event brings more harmony for sure. People shouldn't be persecuted for what they believe in.

And yet I don't see this going so well for some reason if it actually happened.

If this event does happen then it would be nice to see events for other things as well then.

EDIT: Wait I'm sorry but what is the connection between Dorothy and D.VA? Was Dorothy a lesbian? I'm actually really lost on this sorry!

sibarraz

Banned
It will be good if the skins have a message supporting gay rights or things like that, but using flamboyant skins feels like something that will backfire badly

Makki

I dont really think Overwatch is a beacon of light for LBGT exposure considering its just a shooter with no in-game exposure of the character's story outside of the "pew pew pews" in matches. If anything, it feels like the community has fueled the gay stuff through fanfic and fan art, so Blizzard including any of these ideas (in-game) would be really unlikely.

I support pride and I think a skin for tracer would be awesome and some sprays but a full on event? No thanks. Just like I wouldn't want a Canada day event, July 4th event, any other event like that. Stick to the classics.
Canada Day Event, where the exchange rate makes legendary items cost 5000 credits instead of 3000.

Wait, is Dorothy gay?

Also, I'd be cool with this. None of the costumes are interesting to me, but they may be exciting to others.

Why doesn't the heterosexual spray get any color? That seems unfair. :(
It's for the our "a fan of Dorthy" to refer to someone who's gay
also the character in Once Upon A Time is gay

I'm expecting Blizzard to do something to show their support.
I will be really disappointed in them if they do not.

A stealth spray or player icon would be presumably easy to due with minimal backlash (but screw the backlash, I like this general idea more the longer it sits with me). Disney has Gay Pride Mickey Mouse pins but they just call them 'rainbow' pins and happen to display them promanantly during Gay Days.

komplanen

I was a little sleepy so for a brief moment I thought this had happened and that's what the thread was about.

It would be great!

Platy

One lesbian/bi character is incredibly inclusive? My god the bar is low.

The 3 more well known trans characters is a dinosaur drag queen, a generic hot s&m prostitute that everyone denies that she is trans and a cool dinner waitress ... in a game whose god thinks she is a man

Yeah some bars are ridiculously low

I wouldnt like this because what made Tracer stand out was how they didnt make a big deal out of her sexuality. Making it a big deal would detract from the normalizing affect she has on the audience imo

That is not a free pass for neither homophobia, sexism or transphobia. Everyone can reproduce prejudices, not mattering how they look, feel or like.

Yeah, we had a black guy who used to dress up like a Confederate soldier here in town, with signs calling black people lazy and shit. Basically Uncle Ruckus.

I'm gay and this all sounds tacky and flamboyant as hell.
Especially all the different "flag" sprays. When did sexuality and gender politics get so confusing and circle-jerky?

Dorothy skin for D-Va would be ace, though, and that Mercy idea is actually pretty cool.

Making your entire identity revolve around your sexual preference is cringy on its own, but I really hate when people look at drag shows and all these over-the-top reality TV personalities chewing scenery for the camera and think: "Yeah, that's a good representation of gay people."
I think my ideal "Pride Event" would be a bunch of skins of characters in casual everyday wear with tiny fine print that says "Also, he/she/it(omnics) might be gay, maybe! It's not really any of your business!"

The bolded part is incredibly unnecessary. The typical Pride stuff isn't your aesthetic, and that's cool. But for some people, it is. So try to actually accept other people instead of just accepting the ones you associate with.

Totally indifferent either way, as all I want are more skins- but aside from Elton and the cute Emily idea those costumes are fucking atrocious. Like, the Gaga one is a crime against the blizzard design team. And they have us the Widow Legendary skins.

Do something neat: Tracer's blink leaves a rainbow dash for example. Mercy's wings, each "feather" being a different color. And that's all I go cause I'm not creative at all.

Oh, and totes down for Freddy Mercury Rein.

Platy

The bolded part is incredibly unnecessary. The typical Pride stuff isn't your aesthetic, and that's cool. But for some people, it is. So try to actually accept other people instead of just accepting the ones you associate with.

Not all need to be as tacky ... Dykes on Bikes are pretty stylish and neutral

finowns

Really cool idea. It would be amazing if they actually did it. Also.. there are flags for each sexual orientation?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Has almost no chance of happening. And if you think only homophobes or bigots are the only ones who would have issue with this you've got another thing coming.
If you weren't an homophobic or bigot why would you have a problem with it?

No . If anything related to lady Gaga finds its way into the game I'm deleting it .
What the fuck does this even mean? Sounds kind of homophobic which means you are not a good person.

coughlanio

The one game that comes to mind, that absolutely nails the idea of representing homosexuality in games is Rogue Legacy. Falling into these stereotypes isn't the best idea IMO, as there is a large proportion of the LGBT community who don't give a shit about any of the artists highlighted in the OP. Being gay or lesbian, or transgender or whatever doesn't by default make you a fan of Madonna, or Elton John.

Why not have a 'Gay Pride' skin for each character, but have it be exactly the same as the standard skin?

Spinluck

Pretty neat idea.

Wonder what those homophobes who called me a dick sucking faggot for picking Hanzo on defense would think of this.

Top Bottom