• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Playstation & co agree to pay the new runtime fee to Unity, will they pass the cost to the players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Thread. Imagine a scenario where if the console makers agree to pay the new runtime fee to Unity, do you think they will absorb the fee, or pass the cost to the players by increasing the game price or charge a small sum of money for additional install?

Virex

Banned
Thread. Imagine a scenario where if the console makers agree to pay the new runtime fee to Unity, do you think they will absorb the fee, or pass the cost to the players by increasing the game price or charge a small sum of money for additional install?
jim-ryan-laughing.gif

Last edited:

Three

There is no such thing as a free lunch so I doubt they would absorb the fee. They're more likely to increase the percentage cut payable by the publisher by some miniscule amount to reach $0.20 if they agree to it at all.

What you should be more concerned with is subs like gamepass/PS+ where you have many more installs and no actual game sale to boost by $0.20. Would they absorb the fee then?

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
If I've understood this correctly, installs through sub services like Game Pass & PS Plus would mean PlayStation and Xbox would incur the fee. If that is the case, we would eventually feel the weight of those fees.

They would definitely. But then again, they shouldn’t accept this extortion tactics in the first place. They get to pay for something that’s not even their creation. Also, they should charge the unity games engine company for the storage of every game on the server and costs per GB downloaded using said servers.

Stuart360

Very few AAA games use Unity anyway, and AAA is all people care about on here anyway so. Its something thats going to effect AA and Indie games way more.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Still not sure how it would work with nintendo as i don't know if games really install on that console. There's no installation process you can see at all like with the other 2 but going on past history theres no way any of the 3 would pass a oppeprtunity to pass on the costs to the users.

brian0057

Banned
I mean, why wouldn't they? It's literally how economics works.
At some point, someone has to pay the bill. It's be nice if they took that burden but I'm not holding my breath.

Filben

Of course. Companies always do that. Increased taxes or fees for them? Straight onto the customers, "because we're facing increasing costs we must sadly increase our prices". No way companies like these will abstain their profit margins.

Portugeezer

Or developers increase the prices themselves to offset. If they expect platform holders to pay then maybe they just work out a percentage and increase the royalties they take.

The fee is less than 0.3% of a $70 game.

They could increase the royalties to 30.3% rather than 30% on a full priced Unity game. Most are cheaper indies, so slightly higher percentage would be needed.

Fbh

Honestly I don't see why Sony/MS/NIntendo would agree to pay the fee. It would also set a terrible precedent for other engines to start doing the same.

But if they do, yeah it will be passed on to the consumer.

El Muerto

Not at first, but Japanese gaming companies are greedy and will most likely start charging shortly after. Sony will probably be first, then Nintendo. And when the customers get upset over the fees Microsoft will weigh their options to either start charging too or just buy Unity.

Will the Subscription serivces like Gamepass use it as a negotiating item? Put you game on Gamepass exclusive and we will pay the Unity costs.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly I don't see why Sony/MS/NIntendo would agree to pay the fee. It would also set a terrible precedent for other engines to start doing the same.

But if they do, yeah it will be passed on to the consumer.

More likely it'll be deducted at source as part of the procurement costs and royalty payments. Why would any distributor pay twice for the same product?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They won't pass the cost onto the consumer, are you crazy?

They will pass  more than the cost to the consumer. If it costs them an extra dollar for each sub per month, then they will increase prices two dollars per month and Unity will take all the flack.

Gojiira

Simple facts, Unity is charging platform holders, shit rolls down hill, so platform holders will charge us.
So expect Unity games to cost slightly more on average.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Platform holders are not going to pay. They just aren't. I don't think you realize how incensed they are about this.

tommycronin

Sony just raised the price of ps+ by 20-30% out of nowhere with no changes in its subscription for the player. What do you think they'll do if this goes through?

Here OP. This just came in from the PlayStation Twitter account.

troll.png

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Sony just raised the price of ps+ by 20-30% out of nowhere with no changes in its subscription for the player. What do you think they'll do if this goes through?

it wasn’t out of nowhere. It followed shortly after Gamepass changes.

In an amazing coincidence, after bath sets of increases, the PlayStation plus prices look remarkably similar to Gamepass.

Definitely not. They’re stopgapping the transition because they recognize that subscription options are contrary to the revenue model the engine makers deployed. But eventually they’ll stop paying.

Think ppl just need to go ahead and shut down and delete any game they have that run unity. Cause last thing I need to start being charge, to redownload a game I already bought or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom