• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If the Hello Games kept all their promises, would No Man's Sky have been any good?

Maloney

I really enjoyed the game personally, but I mainly stayed out of the hype threads so I could just discover things myself.

However, I do feel that at some point over the last couple of years the games scope and scale was massively cut back.

The whole beacon thing saying it has found a distant signal out in the cosmos, only to be pointed to something on the same planet.

The portals, that don't work.

And also, forgive me if I'm wrong, but aren't we all in the Euclid galaxy?

I believe early on in the game development the players would have been placed in different galaxies across the universe. That signals would have given you locations to planets in different star systems. That we were intended to jump much further distances. That portals would have pushed you to another galaxy, who knows where in the universe. I believe the point was originally to make it to the centre of the universe.

At some point that changed. We were all dumped in one galaxy. We only had to make to the centre of the galaxy. Portals disabled and black holes introduced in their place to jump lesser distances. The distant locations of beacons switched to a location on the same planet.

And that is what I find saddest about this game. Maybe their servers couldn't handle a whole universe of random locations. Maybe the developer deemed the scale was too big and was too boring. Maybe Sony didn't get it and wanted the rewards for travelling to be more immediate.

Who knows?

One thing I would have liked is to see another player, much in the same way as Journey. Where you could follow them, maybe have simple language we could share. That would have been nice.

Overall though, I enjoyed it and spent many hours playing it - so thanks Hello Games

border

That depends entirely on the individual. I can give one example: Journey. By all accounts the one defining moment in that game would be the first player I have engaged with. It is, until today is what makes the experience worth playing. Now let us imagine the scenario where the online feature did not exist, I would not be so positive throughout the experience despite the fact the 99.9% of the core content would be available to the player.

People tend to be quite reductive when it comes to consuming game media as a means to justify the lack of promised context. Changes happen, yes but there is a reasonable expectation behind it.

Journey is a game that is designed for multiplayer and is made to match up other players and send them on an adventure together.

In No Man's Sky you would have been more likely to win the lottery than to ever encounter another player, and the game was not at all designed around co-op activity. To compare the two strikes me as disingenuous.

OnPoint

Same here, 100% snow surface, crazy storms, the water planet was like 70-80% water though. But the sentinels and alien outposts are always there and I think that's a bummer, I want to be the FIRST person ever on some planets.

Oh man, this is a good point. I didn't even think of this, but literally EVERY single planet is colonized in some way already.

Ugh. That sucks.

Peltz

Honestly no. I always assumed they were 100% truthful but believed the game would be no fun. Due to their passion, I was rooting for them on a personal note, but I never had plans to buy the game, myself because it sounded like there was nothing to do in the game and no fun gameplay hook even with all they promised.

Now that I see how much it sold and how many failed promises there were, I feel like they have ruined their credibility and reputation in the industry.

Top Bottom