• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN’s Top 100 RPGs

Honestly, after IGN didn't include Demon's Souls in the PS3 list and responded to this by basically saying that DS sucked, it's pretty clear that these are not opinions.

Didn't see Mass Effect 2 on number #57 coming. It makes sense, but I didn't see it coming. :lol

Rating Morrowind lower than Oblivion... For its gameplay mechanics, perhaps, but it should've been rated a lot higher than 32.

Honestly, after IGN didn't include Demon's Souls in the PS3 list and responded to this by basically saying that DS sucked, it's pretty clear that these are not opinions.
This bugged me too, mainly the way the editors involved in the list dismissed demon's souls like it was nothing, rather than providing an argument as to why it wasnt on their list. Plenty of people would argue it's the best game on PS3. Kind of disappointing that two paid professionals didnt see fit to recognise it. I guess most of IGN's staff (and audience) are a little "slow" for the souls games.

I guess most of IGN's staff (and audience) are a little "slow" for the souls games.

B-but its so hard I got killed by a skeleton right by the start of the game. Then I found a giant rat; who then poisoned me and I died again. Then I ran off a cliff. Why wouldn't a free roaming game have invisible walls so you won't run backwards while fighting cheap enemies? Then someone told me to attack this guy in a corner and I will make alot of free money and then I read a message he was a store and he wont come back since i hit him.

Just kidding, loved what I played of the game. I need to buy the PC version.

This bugged me too, mainly the way the editors involved in the list dismissed demon's souls like it was nothing, rather than providing an argument as to why it wasnt on their list. Plenty of people would argue it's the best game on PS3. Kind of disappointing that two paid professionals didnt see fit to recognise it. I guess most of IGN's staff (and audience) are a little "slow" for the souls games.

Hell, even if they just legitimately didn't care for it enough to rank it; they flat-out used the most basic of trolling on Twitter. They knew what they were doing. I guess whatever gets people talking about IGN.

Like right now.

Why do we even talk about them seriously

They kinda had to rank it high given their 9.9 review.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/20/the-top-25-playstation-3-games-2

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/06/12/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-review

http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/10/god-hand-review

http://www.ign.com/top/ps2-games

Never stopped them before

And I just gave them like six hits just to be cleverish

dude

dude
28 - Fallout 2
22 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

tumblr_m6d9hswZvu1rwbl7wo1_500.gif

kswiston

Super Mario RPG is a fine game and is still pretty fun nowadays. What do you think is wrong with it?

Nothing. I just think that most of the Mario rpgs that followed were better.

I sort of feel the same way about Final Fantasy IV. I appreciate that Final Fantasy IV was ground breaking at the time, and that it was the first rpg a lot of gamers played. However, I'd rather play most of the games that followed. The characters, scenario, and music in FFIV are all good-great (especially for a 16 bit game), but I am not a fan of extremely linear character progression in my rpgs. No choice in party members and no variation in what skills my characters could learn (or even when they learn them since everything is level based) really stifled the rpg aspect. The advances that FFIV DID make (active time battle, much stronger focus on story and characterization) are present in almost all of the sequels. Still a number of people point Final Fantasy IV out as the best rpg of all time on our annual rpg list.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Are we going to get 1-10 and 11-20 today? Can't wait to see the meltdown when something like Skyrim appears in the top 3. Or if they even dare to put ME3 in the top 10, that will be like the ultimate trolling after all those gamers that were outraged by the ending.

Jade Empire was sooooo disappointing. I remember being hyped for it; even got the Collector's Edition and all, and then I actually took IGN reviews semi-seriously.

kswiston

Are we going to get 1-10 and 11-20 today? Can't wait to see the meltdown when something like Skyrim appears in the top 3. Or if they even dare to put ME3 in the top 10, that will be like the ultimate trolling after all those gamers that were outraged by the ending.

In their August 2012 revision of IGN's Top 25 Xbox 360 titles, they chose Mass Effect 1 to represent the entire series, and gave it the #1 spot. I am pretty sure that Mass Effect titles have been #1 on all of those 360 lists. Skyrim was ranked 8th on that same 360 list and Fallout 3 was ranked 6th. I am going to go ahead and predict that A) Mass Effect 1 will be the highest ranking current gen game on the list, and that B) it will be somewhere in the top 5.

I can see them leaving off Mass Effect 3, but would not be the least bit surprised if both 1 and 3 make the top 20 list.

World Exclusive First Review

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
In their August 2012 revision of IGN's Top 25 Xbox 360 titles, they chose Mass Effect 1 to represent the entire series, and gave it the #1 spot. I am pretty sure that Mass Effect titles have been #1 on all of those 360 lists. Skyrim was ranked 8th on that same 360 list and Fallout 3 was ranked 6th. I am going to go ahead and predict that A) Mass Effect 1 will be the highest ranking current gen game on the list, and that B) it will be somewhere in the top 5.

I can see them leaving off Mass Effect 3, but would not be the least bit surprised if both 1 and 3 make the top 20 list.

World Exclusive First Review

I dunno, they did put ME2 already and according to them, isn't ME3 better? Although seeing ME3 in a top 20 while ME2 is, what 52...? If i would put both of them on a RPG list, they would be pretty close in quality, shitty ME3 original ending aside. Not 30-40 ranks of difference.

Oh well, i will enjoy seeing the results no matter how bad they are, but mostly for GAF "WTF IS THIS SHIT" typical comments when something doesn't make them happy.

kitzkozan

IGN really loves Jade Empire.

IGN really loves Bioware you mean. :)

Watch and see Mass Effect being the highest ranked modern game, Dragon age: origins, KOTOR, Baldur's Gate 2 and Mass Effect 3 being in that top 20. Hmm, perhaps ME3 won't make the list since it's so controversial although it would generate ton of hits and whining. :p

kswiston

Hopefully everyone complaining about this list will participate in the next NeoGAF Essential RPG thread in a couple of months. Especially the Pre-2000 PC GAF.

I really liked the first Mass Effect for its detailed universe but the shooting is kind of shoddy compared to its sequels and the mako levels are clumsy and barebones. I’m not sure it deserves to be high in one of these lists. It’s still a fun game but that’s less to do with the actual game play.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I really liked the first Mass Effect for its detailed universe but the shooting is kind of shoddy compared to its sequels and the mako levels are clumsy and barebones. I’m not sure it deserves to be high in one of these lists. It’s still a fun game but that’s less to do with the actual game play.

Mass Effect is weird for me. There's a lot I love about it, but at the same time it can be so laborious to play. Especially the first game, it has some great moments but some parts are a total drag.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
list is pretty good so far all things considered. I suspect when you narrow a list to just 100 games of all time the difference between 17 and 97 is actually very small and therfore more subjective. Its just a list guys, remain calm.

kswiston

Mass Effect is weird for me. There's a lot I love about it, but at the same time it can be so laborious to play. Especially the first game, it has some great moments but some parts are a total drag.

Mass Effect 1 had one of the better realized original game universes. Just talking to random NPCs around the Citadel and reading various codex entries gave you a ton of cool info on the culture and history of each of the game's various species. I must have spent hours just exploring the non-combat sections of that game. Encountering the Elcor or Hanar were definitely some of my more memorable experiences this gen. You could tell a lot of thought went into the world-building, and having such a rich setting made up for a lot of the gameplay flaws on that first playthrough. Mass Effect 2 and 3 never really added that much to the world. They recycled most of the Codex entries, and severely cut back your NPC interactions. The gameplay improved, but that sense of immersion and discovery was lost.

randomkid

Hopefully everyone complaining about this list will participate in the next NeoGAF Essential RPG thread in a couple of months. Especially the Pre-2000 PC GAF.

Not trying to be aggressive, but what's the point of having the thread be annual? If voting threads are frowned upon and supposed to be rare, wouldn't it be better to do a brand new topic like Best Videogame Composer or something?

No Valkyrie Profile, but they have Tales of Phantasia, Destiny and Shitphonia. One of the only mature, adult-themed JRPGs versus Elementary Schooler JRPGs.

What?

Tanolen

Well that pretty much guarantees arcanum and bloodlines didnt make the top 100.

I do agree witht them that Fallout 2 > Fallout 1 though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was the Tales of Destiny they added to the list the Tales of Destiny R Director's Cut version or was it the mehtastic vanilla version on the PS1?

Additionally, was it the crappy Phantasia GBA version or was it the superior Tales of Phantasia X version? Because they've mostly alluded to localized efforts so far (and thus I don't think Mother 3 is going to be anywhere on this list at all which is a big fat shame).

These questions must be answered.

Top Bottom