• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN’s Top 100 RPGs

IGN posted 21-30:

30) Jade Empire
29) Dragon Quest I
28) Fallout 2
27) Dragon Quest VIII
26) Ultima IV
25) Deus Ex
24) Baldur's Gate
23) Phantasy Star Online
22) Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
21) Super Mario RPG

EDIT: Going to be a lot of Bioware in that top 20. Baldur's Gate 2. KOTOR. At least one more Mass Effect. Probably Dragon Age Origins. Possibly Neverwinter Nights.

Neverwinter Nights is in 31

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was 40-31 posted?

40. Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
39. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
38. Phantasy Star II
37. Guild Wars
36. Shining Force II
35. Pokemon Black & White
34. Fallout
33. Ultima Online
32. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
31. Neverwinter Nights

Edit: Yeah, they post these in batches of 20.

kswiston

I am surprised they included Dragon Quest 1. Especially if DQ3 and 4 don't make the list.

Was 40-31 posted?

38. Phantasy Star II
37. Guild Wars
36. Shining Force II
34. Fallout
33. Ultima Online
31. Neverwinter Nights

I thought we had 31-40 already for some reason :/

antitrop

Phantasy Star Online? C'mon. I loved that game as a kid, but give me a break.

It was only good because it was the only type of game like that available for consoles, it's pretty mediocre taken objectively.

kswiston

Wait for the meltdowns tomorrow when Fallout 3 gets the highest rank of the series. Because the chances of that happening are 100%

EDIT: Oblivion and Skyrim both topped Morrowind as well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
38. Phantasy Star II
37. Guild Wars
36. Shining Force II
34. Fallout
33. Ultima Online
31. Neverwinter Nights
30) Jade Empire
29) Dragon Quest I
28) Fallout 2
27) Dragon Quest VIII
26) Ultima IV
25) Deus Ex
24) Baldur's Gate
23) Phantasy Star Online
21) Super Mario RPG

MayFail.gif

Coxy

Was 40-31 posted?

38. Phantasy Star II
37. Guild Wars
36. Shining Force II
34. Fallout
33. Ultima Online
31. Neverwinter Nights

wow, if shining force 2 is #36 then shining force 3 must be in the top 10!
It wont be listed at all because no-one on IGN owned a saturn :(

oh boy!

30) Jade Empire
29) Dragon Quest I
28) Fallout 2
27) Dragon Quest VIII
26) Ultima IV
25) Deus Ex
24) Baldur's Gate
23) Phantasy Star Online
21) Super Mario RPG

list continues to confuse me...but these three stick out.

Why is Dragon Quest I where it is? The game gets points for being innovative and basically popularizing the console RPG (in japan at least...it wasn't as influential in the west). I get this. But it's no longer really what I'd call "playable."

Dragon Quest VIII wasn't innovative, but polished the formula as well as it's likely to get. the game did everything right, and if not for FFXII, Persona 3/4 or Nocturne might have been the definitive RPG on the PS2.

so two ends of that spectrum there. That being said...why the hell is jade empire ranked along with it? It's not innovative by any stretch- it was KOTOR with kung fu and mildly offensive asian stereotypes shoehorned in. It wasn't polished either- the combat was so broken you could literally button mash one skill (paralyzing palm) into anything else and win the game. it doesn't deserve to be ranked anywhere near where it is, much less RIGHT NEXT to either dragon quest.

antitrop

I do have to give them props for remembering Ogre Battle. Easily one of the best games on the SNES, it never received the attention it deserved back in the day.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea

KOTOR
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age Origins
Fallout 3
Skyrim
FFVI
FFVII
Vesperia
Pokemon Red/Blue
Pokemon Gold/Silver
WOW
Guild Wars 2
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 3
Baldur's Gate 2
Planetscape Torment
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy Tactics

These are all pretty much locks.

Bioware owns your souls.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yea

KOTOR
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age Origins
Fallout 3
Skyrim
FFVI
FFVII
Vesperia
Pokemon Red/Blue
Pokemon Gold/Silver
WOW
Guild Wars 2
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 3
Baldur's Gate 2
Planetscape Torment

Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy Tactics.

I'd be surprised if Pokemon G/S and R/B make it though. 3 Pokemon games in the bottom half?

I do have to give them props for remembering Ogre Battle. Easily one of the best games on the SNES, it never received the attention it deserved back in the day.

hugely limited print run though.

I only ever saw it for rental (not purchase) and with no instructions, to boot. Let me tell you how hopelessly lost I was at WTF was going on.

I'd be surprised if Pokemon G/S and R/B make it though. 3 Pokemon games in the bottom half?

Calling it now, they'll both lose out to yellow. pikachu, mang.

edit: eh, i don't think mana will make it tbh. It was a good entry but has absolutely no legacy. the Mana series has been trash for generations now.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea I completely forgot those, you're right.

If Black/White made it then R/B and G/S both should. R/B is a lock without a doubt, the question is whether they'll consider G/S different enough.

If we mean the Sega CD Lunar, I agree. Neither game would exist without Lunar setting the bar.

WOW...no. Lunar was a nice game, but it's impact was next to zero. i mean..sega CD? five people owned that.

And Nocturne is the best PS2 RPG, IMO.

This at least is a solid position. weak on the storyline, but the world, combat, and customization were omgwtfamazing

cj_iwakura

WOW...no. Lunar was a nice game, but it's impact was next to zero. i mean..sega CD? five people owned that.

You'd be wrong. Ask vireland sometime. Lunar: Sega CD was a mammoth success.

Lunar: The Silver Star was well received in Japan, selling an estimated 100,000 copies, its entire production run, in its first year after release, nearly as much as the Mega CD itself.[35] It is considered the Mega-CD's first hit game, which Sega credits solely for pushing the system's sales in that region.[2] The game remains the best-selling Sega CD title of all time in Japan, and second highest selling worldwide behind Sonic the Hedgehog CD. Readers of Japanese magazine Megadrive Beep voted it the number one Mega Drive role-playing game for seventeen straight months before being trumped by Shining Force II.[35]

It released at a time when animated FMVs and voice in an RPG was unheard of.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I certainly don't mind Partners in Time, but considering we're in the Top 20 now, Bowser's Inside Story and Superstar Saga have yet to chart.

Hmmmm...

You'd be wrong. Ask vireland sometime. Lunar: Sega CD was a mammoth success.

It released at a time when animated FMVs and voice in an RPG was unheard of.

i'd disagree. FFVII was a "mammoth" success. RPGs were still very much niche throughout the early 90s before and after Lunar came out. Lunar is the definition of cult hit on a niche system.

and animated FMV and voice were on almost EVERY sega CD game. This also goes for about half the games on the 3DO. one might say both used them to excess with games like 7th guest or Sherlock holmes and showed sega and sony what NOT to do with a CD based system.

it didn't make the sega CD a success, and RPGs didn't really attempt to emulate the formula until after FFVII (and it's ad campaign) took off. and even then it was less "anime" cutscenes and more elaborate CGI.

cj_iwakura

i'd disagree. FFVII was a "mammoth" success. RPGs were still very much niche throughout the early 90s before and after Lunar came out. Lunar is the definition of cult hit on a niche system.

and animated FMV and voice were on almost EVERY sega CD game. This also goes for about half the games on the 3DO. one might say both used them to excess with games like 7th guest or Sherlock holmes and showed sega and sony what NOT to do with a CD based system.

it didn't make the sega CD a success, and RPGs didn't really attempt to emulate the formula until after FFVII (and it's ad campaign) took off. and even then it was less "anime" cutscenes and more elaborate CGI.

It was still an innovator, even if it didn't kick down the doors for RPGs like FF7 did. It's probably my favorite traditional RPG ever. (Well, technically Eternal Blue is, but wouldn't exist without TSS.)

That said, Complete is garbage compared to the original.

oh boy!

list continues to confuse me...but these three stick out.

Why is Dragon Quest I where it is? The game gets points for being innovative and basically popularizing the console RPG (in japan at least...it wasn't as influential in the west). I get this. But it's no longer really what I'd call "playable."

It's enjoyable enough in remake form at the very least.

Yea

KOTOR
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age Origins
Fallout 3
Skyrim
FFVI
FFVII
Vesperia
Pokemon Red/Blue
Pokemon Gold/Silver
WOW
Guild Wars 2
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 3
Baldur's Gate 2
Planetscape Torment
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy Tactics
Valkyrie Profile

Bioware owns your souls.

Fixed.

Sandfox

How is Vesperia a lock? It's pretty niche. Also there's a good chance FF IV maybe there for introducing the Active Time Battle system, FF XII is a wild-card though.

There is no way that IV isn't on this list list but I can see XII missing it. I kinda want Radiant Historia to be on the list but I doubt it would be this high.

It was still an innovator, even if it didn't kick down the doors for RPGs like FF7 did. It's probably my favorite traditional RPG ever. (Well, technically Eternal Blue is, but wouldn't exist without TSS.)

That said, Complete is garbage compared to the original.

sure, why not. I'll give you that.

My money's still on "no."

i'm willing to bet it still makes an appearance

at least they remembered shining force II.

i'd vote devil summoner 2 higher than nocture. i don't care if nocturne is on the list at all, scratch it.

lunar is good, it deserves a high rank.

Top Bottom