• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN’s Top 100 RPGs

pablito

They should never mix Tactics and MMORPGs in a top RPG list.

mmos i can see why since they're a very different experience. i don't see why tactical games need to be omitted, though. it's just a gameplay style. FFT is every bit of an RPG that FFVII is, if not more so.

Never been much of an Everquest or Pokemon guy and Jade Empire is pure garbage, but other than that, I can't argue with a lot of that top 30.

FSLink

Banned
Even as much as I like Tales, Destiny really doesn't deserve to be on the top 100 list of RPGs, or even a top 200.

The PS2 remake however...god damn. So amazing. Sad that they weren't referring to this version.

As for that person whining about Tales having cliche anime plots, they definitely do. The battle systems and subsystems is where the series shine. (Destiny PS2 and Graces show this extremely well)

Glad to see Phantasia on the list too. Phantasia SFC does deserve to be on the list for its technical feats for the time, the great graphics and music, and fun battle system...even if dated today.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The battle systems and subsystems is where the series shine. (Destiny PS2 and Graces show this extremely well)
Throw in Rebirth and we've got a perfect deal. Because Rebirth's plot is hilariously bad, but it's definitely one of my favourite Tales games gameplay-wise.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Chrono Trigger has great pacing and music, but I don't get what else about it is that special that it's constantly talked about as the best RPG ever.
I wrote this up in the RPG Essentials Thread:

Chrono Trigger is one of those games that you can easily recommend to both newcomers and veterans alike. I’ll talk about the battle system in a moment, but let’s look at how utterly beautiful this game is. The Honne background art is so colourful and detailed. The Toriyama art, is essentially an excuse for—and this is truly the case, actually—Sakaguchi and co. to play with the whimsical nature of Toriyama’s universe, with characters that stand out, and still look rather unique in terms of the colour palettes used for them, the designs, and the characters’ identities (ex: humans, robots, animals, etc). The spritework is detailed, the animations are wonderful to watch, and it’s just a joy to watch. The Mitsuda/Uematsu/Matsueda soundtrack demonstrates so much compositional synergy, catchiness and beauty throughout. And the story is just utterly delightful and tragic at the same time. Everyone who worked on this game should be proud.

But the battle system is truly what shines in this game. Dubbed “ATB 2.0”, Hiroyuki Ito & co. amped up the familiar ATB system found in previous Final Fantasy games (starting with FFIV) and developed it into a system that takes into account party synergy, combo attacks, timing (helping make the speed stat being one of the most important stats in the game rather than sheer power), the importance of healing, both difficulty and ease, and enemy positioning for linear, group or single attacks. It’s a beautiful system. There is never any “right” or “wrong” party because each party member brings their own special abilities (everyone but Magus has a healing spell, for instance), and players can customize their parties for efficiency, favouritism, etc.

The beauty of Chrono Trigger truly lies in its accessibility to newcomers and veterans alike. People can play through it without any problems to get through the story, but veterans can play through it to amp up the difficulty to test themselves.
Part of it is also because you had so many powerhouses working on it: three principal creative staff (Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yuji Horii, Akira Toriyama) and a bunch of other staff members (Yasuyuki Honne, Hiroyuki Ito, Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu, Masato Kato, Yoshinori Kitase, Yusuke Naora, Yasuhika Kamata, etc).

Theoretically, if you wanted to see what a Square/Enix collab in those days might have looked like, some people might consider Chrono Trigger to be that game (though Enix was a publisher, not a dev studio).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Man, these guys really don't like Dragon Quest. Also, I'm surprised there's anyone who seriously would like Fallout 3 over New Vegas.
I'm less surprised people like Dark Souls over Demon's Souls, but equally disappointed with it.

*search "Persona 4"*

90th.

90TH.

And Skyrim is 7th.

At least they got 1 and 2 right in that order.

P4 should be in the top 50 along with Tales of Symphonia.

Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, FF7, and Secret of Mana should be 7-10. And I am a noted FF7 detractor (6 is better by miles).

Malvingt2

Chrono Trigger is the most overrated RPG of all time.. in the Snes era they were more than 10 rpg's games equal or better to such game.. People just love it because of the mass exposure on the west.. Is not in my top 20 personal list..

Sanctuary

Man, these guys really don't like Dragon Quest. Also, I'm surprised there's anyone who seriously would like Fallout 3 over New Vegas.
I'm less surprised people like Dark Souls over Demon's Souls, but equally disappointed with it.

Heh. I actually liked both Demon's and Dark almost the same--and just don't get why so many people rate the second so much higher. Probably a multiplatform thing. As for the Fallout games, I'm of a similar mindset as with the Souls games. I think the first Fallout had superior (more memorable) locations and quests, but the second had far and away better writing overall and more interesting NPCs.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think there should really be a separate list for WPRGs and JRPGs.

Kokonoe

Banned
mmos i can see why since they're a very different experience. i don't see why tactical games need to be omitted, though. it's just a gameplay style. FFT is every bit of an RPG that FFVII is, if not more so.

I suppose I was looking at it a bit differently due it's nature, but you are correct.

Chrono Trigger is the most overrated RPG of all time.. in the Snes era they were more than 10 rpg's games equal or better to such game.. People just love it because of the mass exposure on the west.. Is not in my top 20 personal list..

I think Chrono Cross was the better game, and it was listed too low. I am not a huge fan of their list.

Could also split it up by old and new, srpg and arpg.

Either way I think lists are always fun. If it gets people talking about RPG games, it can't be a bad thing. I'm playing Phantasy Star 4 again now.

Malvingt2

I think Chrono Cross was the better game, and it was listed too low. I am not a huge fan of their list.

The list is a joke.. another thing Illusion of Gaia is on the List and is not even the best game in the Soul Blazer series.. Where is Terrningma? this is IGN UK correct? they forgot the game got released there, because they made this list without including Rpg's that never left Japan reason why Seiken Densetsu 3 is not in it. A game which is top 10 rpg of all time right out the bat.. My point is the list has a lot of holes.

mind listing them?

To jump in, I think CT is an awesome game, but he could make an argument for something like:

FF4
FF5
FF6
Super mario rpg
Secret of Mana
Earthbound
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Lufia 2
Shadowrun

I think that argument is dead wrong, except for FF6, but that is all opinion.

Malvingt2

To jump in, I think CT is an awesome game, but he could make an argument for something like:

FF4
FF5
FF6
Super mario rpg
Secret of Mana
Earthbound
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Lufia 2
Shadowrun

I think that argument is dead wrong, except for FF6, but that is all opinion.
You just got two of my games.. but ok....Seiken Densetsu 3 is way better than 2 [Secret of Mana] and of course better than CT

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nah, both areas had similar origins so I don't see the need to separate them at all.

Dragon Quest was influenced by Ultima and Wizardry (and arguably Falcom's Dragon Slayer now that I think about it...) which were influenced by Akalabeth which was influenced by Dungeons and Dragons (and LotR).

Plus then you have some of the Japanese CRPGs being influenced by the likes of the D&D-inspired CRPG called The Black Onyx (developed by Henk Rogers, and it was the first RPG in Japan, I think?). TBO ended up influencing a bunch of other devs and programmers to launch their careers in the Japanese games industry.

IMO, it's extremely hard to separate the two because of their roots in general. They're different beasts now, but before, they weren't that much different outside of artstyle and lore influences.

kunonabi

They might be talking about the PS2 remake which I heard is supposed to be MUCH better.

Wishful thinking, I know.

I like Persona 2 the most because it allows you to actually change the Personas of other party members. I didn't like being stuck with the same skills for all my chars in P3 and 4.

Yeah I never liked that either. Old system had far more depth and customization. Most fights could be handled quite easily in 3/4 by just making your MC strong against the enemy and just picking party members who could take advantage of the enemies weakness.

spirity

Also, I'm surprised there's anyone who seriously would like Fallout 3 over New Vegas.

It -generally- goes like this: Fallout 3 for the world and atmosphere, New Vegas for the choices and writing. I have my preference, but both games are excellent, and nobody would really be wrong in picking one over the other. At least, I don't think so anyway. The Obsidian faithful will likely vehemently disagree with me :)

I got a lot more fun out of Fallout 3 then New Vegas.

Of course this is because I played NV for 5 minutes, hit a bug and thought "not this shit again" and stopped playing.

vic2020

Neo Member

Its not nearly overrated as Xenoblade is, probably due in part to the "i have it and you dont!" effect of that game's localization

Chrono Trigger really wasnt that popular at release anyway

spirity

Nah, both areas had similar origins so I don't see the need to separate them at all.

I agree, but its very apparent that all the posters here have separated them. Look at the nominations people are making, I just see blocks of either jrpgs or wrpgs (rounded off with a dig at Skyrim usually lol). Not much crossover, very interesting.

Uthred

I agree, but its very apparent that all the posters here have separated them. Look at the nominations people are making, I just see blocks of either jrpgs or wrpgs (rounded off with a dig at Skyrim usually lol). Not much crossover, very interesting.

That could just be down to personal preference rather than any distinct seperation. If you enjoy JRPG's over WRPG's its hardly surprising that your top nominations will reflect that. This in no way indicates that they generally regard them as two distinct things.

That could just be down to personal preference rather than any distinct seperation. If you enjoy JRPG's over WRPG's its hardly surprising that your top nominations will reflect that. This in no way indicates that they generally regard them as two distinct things.

Yep, RPGs are very personal.

IGN have 30 games in their top 50 that I don't have. Most of them are online games that I have no interest in playing.

You know the real sad thing? In ten years I bet the list will be 99% still the same.

inner-G

Banned
Not as bad as I expected.

Sad that a game as influential as DQ III was overlooked.

*modern WRPGs are ranked surprisingly high, but it's IGN.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yep, RPGs are very personal.

IGN have 30 games in their top 50 that I don't have. Most of them are online games that I have no interest in playing.

You know the real sad thing? In ten years I bet the list will be 99% still the same.

In 10 years I feel like they'll just make the list more modern, considering they've already added a game that has been out less than a year to the top 10 of all time.

Top Bottom