• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN’s Top 100 RPGs

Bigdrbingo

Neo Member
There's so much wrong with this list, I don't even know where to start.

They didn't put Tales of Vesperia on the list, but they put Tales of Destiny on the list?
Persona 4 at only #90 and Tales of Symphonia at only #77?
And why is Fable 2 even on this list?
I'm also surprised IGN didn't put Dragon Age Origins on the list at all, especially since they tend to favor WRPGs a bit more.

Some great games on this list, but the list is very out of order and many don't deserve to be on the list considering there are much more justified games for the top 100.

zinder

I know that there is probably not a single person in this universe who agrees with this list and complaining about won't change anything, but some of the stuff makes absolutely no sense. Like, how the hell is Fallout: New Vegas #89 where a game near identical to it in almost every aspect (Fallout 3) is at #10? Shit makes zero sense.

I wonder if the IGN staff actually give a minute of thinking time before putting this list out.

kswiston

I know that there is probably not a single person in this universe who agrees with this list and complaining about won't change anything, but some of the stuff makes absolutely no sense. Like, how the hell is Fallout: New Vegas #89 where a game near identical to it in almost every aspect (Fallout 3) is at #10? Shit makes zero sense.

I wonder if the IGN staff actually give a minute of thinking time before putting this list out.

I think the IGN review for New Vegas mentioned that it felt like a big expansion pack rather than a new game. I wouldn't go that far, but New Vegas does do a lot of recycling. I like some of the changes that Obsidian made to the conventions in Fallout 3, but think that some people go overboard with their praise of New Vegas and condemnation of Fallout 3. IGN went in the opposite direction, faulting New Vegas for things they overlooked in Fallout 3. Like you said, they are pretty similar. New Vegas had better balance and story, but I liked the exploration in Fallout 3 more.

b3b0p

No way these guys played any of the older RPGs recently, like in the last decade.

Nostalgia speaks highly and it's hard to ignore. I think this list shows it.

I don't agree with their placements of some games, but that's my opinion, and they have theirs.

Lists are always fun and easy to get clicks with.

b3b0p

Easy to answer.

When they played Fallout 3, it felt some what magical and great. Then New Vegas comes. They are excited, but it didn't provide that same magic. Why? Because they were already prepared ahead of time with Fallout 3. Thus, it doesn't have that same instant gratification that is memorable when you first play a game.

Agree with the top 2 at least. Hmmm, Demon's Souls is 70, but Dark Souls is 18? Very similiar games, but worlds apart on the list. Dragon Warrior at 29? It was revolutionary for its time, but I wouldn't recommend it to people now.
Don't agree with a lot of their picks.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I hate top whatever list

They rarely go by playablity and other factors and always have some hint of past memories tuned into them. Pokemon red and blue are fucking garbage compared to every single pokemon game that came after.

Why cant people just do a top list of shit that holds up today THATS what a real top game is

Edit: where the fuck is nocturne?

Chrono Trigger > Final Fantasy VI but honestly was anyone not expecting them to take top 2?

I was hoping Chrono Trigger would appear outside the top 5/10/20 for the mass amount of rage that would spark

Coxy

Did they seriously not include Grandia? what. the. fuck.

I expected no Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force or Shining Force 3 because IGNs entire staff probably never played a saturn between them but no Grandia? fucking hell lol

Zekes!

Final Fantasy XII should be on that list

but still, what the fuck at Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time being on there? It's like literally the worst of the three. And Odin Sphere shouldn't be on there at all, the hell?

Did they seriously not include Grandia? what. the. fuck.

I expected no Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force or Shining Force 3 because IGNs entire staff probably never played a saturn between them but no Grandia? fucking hell lol

yea, this list is getting worse by the minute.

I hate top whatever list

They rarely go by playablity and other factors and always have some hint of past memories tuned into them. Pokemon red and blue are fucking garbage compared to every single pokemon game that came after.

Why cant people just do a top list of shit that holds up today THATS what a real top game is

Edit: where the fuck is nocturne?
I'll admit here that I didn't read their criteria if it's posted, but part of the decision-making might be about how innovative titles are. That's in response to you talking about R/B, not Nocturne.

Final Fantasy XII should be on that list

but still, what the fuck at Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time being on there? It's like literally the worst of the three. And Odin Sphere shouldn't be on there at all, the hell?
I thought Odin Sphere was an amazing experience on multiple levels. It looks like IGN was really impressed with its storytelling, and I honestly can't think of another RPG that does such a great job of making you want to see what happens next.

I thought Odin Sphere was an amazing experience on multiple levels. It looks like IGN was really impressed with its storytelling, and I honestly can't think of another RPG that does such a great job of making you want to see what happens next.

It was an amazing looking game, and the first character or so was very good. But then it is just the same thing over and over again only harder and much less fun or interesting.

I can't really see it as a good game, or a rpg for that matter. It certainly has style though, and I don't mind seeing it recognised. I respect any game that is interesting enough to go from 'omg this is amazing' to 'wow this is terrible' without changing a whole heap.

Parasite eve, ff 12, dragon age and valkyrie chronicles, wonder how they didn't make it in.

Valkyria Chronicles did...No Dragon age is a surprise (PC version was really quite good) and FF12 deserve to be on the list above plenty of other games. Parasite Eve was a decent game, but I think 2 was better, and not really a RPG as such (not that that matters). I'd be satisfied if it was just outside their top 100.

YoungOne

It was an amazing look game, and the first character or so was very good. But then it is just the same thing over and over again only harder and much less fun or interesting.

I can't really see it as a good game, or a rpg for that matter. It certainly has style though, and I don't mind seeing it recognised. I respect any game that is interesting enough to go from 'omg this is amazing' to 'wow this is terrible' without changing a whole heap.

Valkyria Chronicles did...No Dragon age is a surprise (PC version was really quite good) and FF12 deserve to be on the list above plenty of other games. Parasite Eve was a decent game, but I think 2 was better, and not really a RPG as such (not that that matters). I'd be satisfied if it was just outside their top 100.
Sorry, I meant Valkyrie Profile my fingers were typing faster than my brain was thinking.

It was an amazing look game, and the first character or so was very good. But then it is just the same thing over and over again only harder and much less fun or interesting.

I really liked the gameplay. Yeah, there was a bit too much rinse and repeat as time went on, but each character was interesting and different to use.

I also loved the inventory management.

I really liked the gameplay. Yeah, there was a bit too much rinse and repeat as time went on, but each character was interesting and different to use.

I also loved the inventory management.

More than fair enough. I think the problem for me was I was really into the ... girl dressed in red character (whose name escapes me). So once she was done and dusted... there just wasn't anything left to hold my attention.

Always the way with such games.

Upon second glance... While no. 1 and no. 2 are correct, there's loads wrong with this list.

Mass Effect is WAY too high. It should be in the 90s.

Baldur's Gate 2 over WoW is hilarious.

Fire Emblem at #83 is a travesty.

And WHY IS OGRE BATTLE NOT IN THE TOP 10

Old republic shouldn't even be on the list, and certainly not over FF Tactics.

Why are some of the new games up there so high??

randomkid

Both were released nearly at the same time and was constantly compared a lot. People always preferred one or the other.

They were released a whole year apart though.

My memories of the reception at the time: FF6, unrivaled masterpiece. Chrono Trigger, great, but a little too short. I even remember Nick Rox calling Chrono Trigger "disappointing" in a Bahamut Lagoon preview. CT's reputation kept growing though until it achieved master class status a few years later.

That's the way it was in my circle of friends at least, other people have told me their experiences were different. That Gamefan thing is definitely 100% true though!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You know, for how silly the list was in general, the fact that the top 3 are in fact my 3 favorite RPG's of all time kind of makes me not bothered by the whole thing.

alazz

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is an egregious omission. Simply one of the best rpgs ever. Great writing, battle system, out-of-battle gameplay, and environments. There's no way it's not objectively better than Super Mario RPG. What, do they get off on withholding or something?

Is there anywhere I can buy Wizardry 8 cheap? I really want to play it, but amazon's and ebay's listings are absurd.

imjust1n

Banned
You guys do realize this is IGNs top 100 this doesn't mean these are the top 100. Everyone has their opinion. There are some games that in my opinion were better but I don't work for ign so people calm down make your own top 100 and put it on here. Lol

Clydefrog

I hereby request a Sunhilegend GIF (if he is an Ultima fan) renouncing this list.

cVagw.jpg

Flakster99

You know, for how silly the list was in general, the fact that the top 3 are in fact my 3 favorite RPG's of all time kind of makes me not bothered by the whole thing.

Likewise. Happy to see Everquest make the top 20 as I am for Earthbound as well as for Planescape: Torment. Nailed the top three imo.

UberTag

When IGN puts out their Top 100 Interactive Movie games, they'd better not snub the Xenosaga series again. Granted, it'll still fall behind all of Metal Gear and it doesn't boast numerous QTE sequences but it still made its mark in the annals of gaming history.

Yes, Grandia and FFXII are colossal snubs. To a lesser extent - Tales of Vesperia, Nocturne... surprised to not see the Lost Odyssey fanboys raving like lunatics in here.

As for me, I'll take a moment to shed a tear for the game all JRPG enthusiasts need to experience and few have (especially at western media outlets)... The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

cj_iwakura

When IGN puts out their Top 100 Interactive Movie games, they'd better not snub the Xenosaga series again. Granted, it'll still fall behind all of Metal Gear and it doesn't boast numerous QTE sequences but it still made its mark in the annals of gaming history.

Night Trap deserves #1 on that list.

Esura

Banned
For some irrational reason, I'm kind of annoyed that FFVI is number one and Chrono Trigger is #2. Maybe its because I predicted this from 10 miles away and I don't think these games should be rated higher than later FFs and other RPGs. But like all top lists, not everyone is going to agree I guess.

Top Bottom