• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN’s Top 100 RPGs

Anustart

Really? I just found it unbalanced. I enjoyed it, but really, it wasn't as well designed as the first.

I mean it had multiple party members, but they were basically useless by the end game.

EDIT: Wait, did you first play it on the GBC? They fixed the issues on that version, but made it too easy.

Nah, I've only played on the nes. It was tougher than the first, but that's what actually made me enjoy it more. That, and actually having a party rather than just the hero.

jeremy1456

Nah, I've only played on the nes. It was tougher than the first, but that's what actually made me enjoy it more. That, and actually having a party rather than just the hero.

When one of the characters receives their best weapon a few hours into the game I couldn't help but regard the game as poorly designed.

I did like the dungeons though!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The snub of Dragon Age: Origins is amazing. They rated the PC version a 9 out of 10 and called it a masterpiece. For it to not even chart is just bizarre. I bet it was simply left off by accident, and someone is kicking their self.

jeremy1456

The snub of Dragon Age: Origins is amazing. They rated the PC version a 9 out of 10 and called it a masterpiece. For it to not even chart is just bizarre. I bet it was simply left off by accident, and someone is kicking their self.

The PC reviewers at IGN are kinda like those that reviewed games for the original Xbox.

sp3ctr3

2 - Chrono Trigger
1 - Final Fantasy VI

FF6 over CT??!?!?!!?

2971540_o.gif

Veezy

que?
10 Fallout 3
9 Mass Effect 1
8 World of Warcraft
7 Skyrim
6 Diablo 2
5 FF IV
4 Pokemon Red/Blue
3 Baldurs Gate 2
2 chrono Trigger
1 FF VI

How is Fallout 3 above New Vegas, Fallout 2, and Fallout 1. That.... doesn't register.
How is Skyrim better than Morrowind? Fuckin' A, how is Oblivion better than Morrowind?

Lists are lists so it's nothing serious, but I just don't see the logic in that type of decision.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I really don't have a problem with CT and FF6 as #1 and 2, even if they aren't my two top RPGs ever.

The only games that actually allow you to role-play are too low on this list. You know which ones I'm talking about...and they ain't no JPRG nonsense.

Ahh, how quaint. A bitter old computer/P&P RPG player who hasn't come to terms that the definition of "RPG" has changed ever since the Japanese got to it.

Chrono Trigger #2 behind FFVI? First sign that this list is stupid.

Also FFVII not in the top 10? C'mon now. You can hate on it all you want, but that's just stupid.

Yes, it's so insanely popular that its fans can get pretty annoying, but not including the JRPG that single-handedly made console JRPGs uber popular in most countries is just insane.

EDIT: Also Pokemon G/S > R/B. Gold and Silver improved the formula so much it made the originals almost unplayable. Not to mention it has way more content.

First sign, huh.
Considering how long this thread is, I think people started finding signs long ago!

I'm actually not sure why CT being #2 instead of #1 is that big of a deal.
Sorry, I completely managed to miss this thread. I guess I'm spending too much time in the OT forum :p

I played FFVI after CT and it honestly felt insipid in comparison. Way too many characters, some overpowered (like Edgar at the very beginning), most of which I had trouble giving a f about (I think think Locke would have been a much more interesting main character than Terra). Random battles, a villain out of a Saturday morning cartoon, complete with corny "bwahahahaha" laugh, and a lack luster second half.

Is Panzer Dragoon Saga seriously not on that list?
WTF!!?!?! You're right, it's not -_-

Grief.exe

I can more or less agree with the top 10, make some minor changes here and there but it is fairly solid yet still debatable.

The only thing I really can't agree with is Skyrim.

Game has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator so much its hardly an RPG at all anymore.

What a horrible list. One of the worst games of all time (FF VI) behind the greatest game ever made (Chrono Trigger). IGN should be ashamed of themselves!

Sorry, I completely managed to miss this thread. I guess I'm spending too much time in the OT forum :p

I played FFVI after CT and it honestly felt insipid in comparison. Way too many characters, some overpowered (like Edgar at the very beginning), most of which I had trouble giving a f about (I think think Locke would have been a much more interesting main character than Terra). Random battles, a villain out of a Saturday morning cartoon, complete with corny "bwahahahaha" laugh, and a lack luster second half.

WTF!!?!?! You're right, it's not -_-
As opposed to Chrono Trigger's non-villain and bare bones character development? FFVI felt way more epic and diverse than CT. Saturday morning cartoon fits CT a lot more than it does FFVI. The 2nd half of FFVI is one of the best things about the game IMO. I love CT but I absolutely have no problem ranking VI above it.

As opposed to Chrono Trigger's non-villain and bare bones character development? FFVI felt way more epic and diverse than CT. Saturday morning cartoon fits CT a lot more than it does FFVI. The 2nd half of FFVI is one of the best things about the game IMO. I love CT but I absolutely have no problem ranking VI above it.
Um,what?

You also make it sound like stories can't be epic or deep unless they have an in-your-face main villain (TLotR laughs at you). Kefka might as well be Gargamel or <insert random cartoon villain from 20 years ago> during the first half of the game. Saying "Dood Kefka is so great because he's just evil! No lame explanation needed, he just is!" sounds like trying to make a mediocre character sound good. I'll gladly take Lavos or Magus over Dick Dastardly Kefka any day.

EDIT:

Oh Jeebus, just noticed Ultima VII @ #53 -_________- I almost feel vindicated that I haven't been to IGN in years.

Razek

Banned
FF6 is an awesome game! ....

... if you like step battle step battle step battle step battle step battle. I enjoyed 13 more, and that game was mediocre at best. Who wants to play with a 40%+ encounter ratio?

FF6 is an awesome game! ....

... if you like step battle step battle step battle step battle step battle. I enjoyed 13 more, and that game was mediocre at best. Who wants to play with an 40%+ encounter ratio?
This specifically is one of the things that made FFVI feel outdated after playing Chrono Trigger. I just love the way CT handles encounters (also dat beautiful battle system). The game was truly ahead of its time <3

Razek

Banned
This specifically is one of the things that make FFVI feel outdated after playing Chrono Trigger. I just love the way CT handles encounters (also dat beautiful battle system). The game was truly ahead of its time <3

No kidding. I don't know how in the world I got through half of FF6 in my childhood. The world of ruin did in fact, ruin me. I couldn't handle the absolute insane encounter rates and had to quit.

A recent replay? Made it 10 minutes out of the starting town. Just too much battling.

On the flip side, I have beaten Chronic Trigger 3 times now with one of these playthroughs being less than a year ago. That's a game with a pseudo random battle system done right.

Nickoten

Neo Member
I like the Dragon Quest series and all, but I'm not sure that the original deserves a spot on this list outside of historical importance. I mean Dragon Quest III didn't make the list at all.

Aeana

No kidding. I don't know how in the world I got through half of FF6 in my childhood. The world of ruin did in fact, ruin me. I couldn't handle the absolute insane encounter rates and had to quit.

A recent replay? Made it 10 minutes out of the starting town. Just too much battling.

On the flip side, I have beaten Chronic Trigger 3 times now with one of these playthroughs being less than a year ago. That's a game with a pseudo random battle system done right.
The encounter rate in FF6 is below average, so it sounds like you're just tired of random battles. I usually get into 3-4 battles between Narshe and Figaro Castle at that point, and I don't know how that could be considered too many considering how many steps it is.

randomkid

A pitched battle between FF6 and Chrono Trigger fans is not what I expected to see when this thread resurfaced. I had to check post history to make sure GrumpyAlien's post wasn't real.

Razek

Banned
The encounter rate in FF6 is below average, so it sounds like you're just tired of random battles. I usually get into 3-4 battles between Narshe and Figaro Castle at that point, and I don't know how that could be considered too many considering how many steps it is.

Doesn't sound like anything I played. Admittedly, I don't remember much about my recent play and I'm sure other factors were at play when I quit.

I do remember specifics about my first game on it though. The factory, golgo/zolzo or whatever, and that floating sky thingy; I was not a fan. When you don't know where to go or what to do sometimes in a dungeon it is just brutal. One mistake down a corridor and I may as well just reload from the save point, it's faster that fighting 5 battles in and 5 battles back.

To be fair to your point though, yes, I absolutely hate random battles and avoid games with them now at all costs (except for replays and nostalgia digging)

Um,what?

You also make it sound like stories can't be epic or deep unless they have an in-your-face main villain (TLotR laughs at you). Kefka might as well be Gargamel or <insert random cartoon villain from 20 years ago> during the first half of the game. Saying "Dood Kefka is so great because he's just evil! No lame explanation needed, he just is!" sounds like trying to make a mediocre character sound good. I'll gladly take Lavos or Magus over Dick Dastardly Kefka any day.

Ummm nah, I'm more fascinated with Kefka because of how he rose to the role of main villain. In FFVI, things aren't quite as obvious, or as it seems initially...the main character isn't defined, Kefka isn't until that major event and things take a massive twist and the second half is completely different in tone and pacing and character advancements/development. These are things that were a big deal to me then, and still is now because it's still not very common with jRPGs. Lavos is not very interesting to me in comparison because the tone was set very, very early with little detours.

A pitched battle between FF6 and Chrono Trigger fans is not what I expected to see when this thread resurfaced. I had to check post history to make sure GrumpyAlien's post wasn't real.
I didn't expect it either. I think I would have had no problem if CT was #1 but it's nice to see FFVI take it too. The list is still a mess to me in many other ways, but the Top 2 (Top 10 actually, even) is fine.

Soul_Pie

Final fantasy VI really falls apart dreadfully at the World of Ruin which is probably the only thing stopping it from becoming my favourite RPG. It essentially becomes a fetch quest for characters you already had and the plot just really slows down to a crawl after being incredibly well paced up until that point. Still a great game no doubt but I really dislike the way it finishes and the somewhat overwrought characters and melodramatic side to the story which grate with me. That opera scene is utter crap in my view but that's probably an unpopular opinion. The soundtrack is stunning however and the visual design is top notch. The varied cast really works well too, with each character given their due.

Chrono Trigger is easily my favourite RPG. That battle system is phenomenal and encounters never feel like a chore as opposed to so many RPGs of the time, it's a perfect length, the game lends itself to plenty of replays as well with the varied endings/scenarios combined with new game plus. The time travelling is perfectly done and the way that the locations vary so greatly amakes it feel like such an amazing adventure. It's such a tightly constructed experience, as opposed to so so many RPGs which feel so unrefined and so frustratingly and detrimentally story focused. This is one of the few RPGs I feel which actually knows how great the combat is and plays to that strength. Once again the soundtrack is one of the greatest of all time.

Final fantasy VI really falls apart dreadfully at the World of Ruin which is probably the only thing stopping it from becoming my favourite RPG. It essentially becomes a fetch quest for characters you already had and the plot just really slows down to a crawl after being incredibly well paced up until that point.

Well considering what happened at the end, I wouldn't expect much of a plot since everything is literally in ruins. I think the pacing and style of the WoR perfectly reflects the predicament and I wouldn't have it any other way. It really opens the game and its world up and tests the resolve of the player imo.

urfe

I prefer FFVI to CT, but if CT was #1 and FFVI #2, I don't think I'd be that stressed about it, and I'd be more glad that the obvious two choices made the top, as opposed to some oddball choice from left field.

Also, my favourite RPG (well, SRPG) is Final Fantasy Tactics, and I'm happy where it placed.

Also, question: people complaining about FFVI's encounter rate... what year did you first start playing RPGs? Thanks. I think people have a different view of what the genre is depending on when they got into it.

Gold Silver is missing. Red Blue on 4 (It should be 10-20). No Torchlight 2 and Nier. Pool of Radiance is even on the list. EVE Online is there. Dark Souls not in the Top 10. Monster Hunter Tri a RPG? Persona is a low tier game on this list.

Aww i just stop counting these dump choices from a stupid website.

Rad-

They gave FFXII 9.5 and then don't even include that in the list. This is why we laugh at you IGN. Your scores are meaningless, even to yourself.

But well at least BG2 is in top 3 so that's close enough.

First sign, huh.
Considering how long this thread is, I think people started finding signs long ago!

I'm actually not sure why CT being #2 instead of #1 is that big of a deal.

It isn't a big deal, but I think that CT is pretty far ahead of FFVI. FFVI is fantastic, and perhaps I'm just forgetting how much I like it - I do that sometimes - but to me, CT just does a lot more, and is farther ahead of its time, doing all of what it does just as well.

Lothar

Banned
Also FFVII not in the top 10? C'mon now. You can hate on it all you want, but that's just stupid.

Yes, it's so insanely popular that its fans can get pretty annoying, but not including the JRPG that single-handedly made console JRPGs uber popular in most countries is just insane.

Please don't tell me you think FF7's popularity has anything to do with the game's quality. Like even 1% to do with it. There can't be someone that really thinks that. It is insanely popular because it was most people's first foray into RPGs, which was due to no other reason than the massive amount of hype and commercials consisting entirely of FMV scenes that blew everyone away. Half the people I knew that bought FF7 on it's launch date didn't even know what a RPG was.

Just because something has hype and FMV commercials doesn't mean it should be top ten.

Eidan

Fallout 3 being the highest in the series simply doesn't feel right. And I'm actually a fan of FO 3.

I'm a fan of Fallout 3 as well, and it feels incredibly appropriate. Sure "fan" is the right word to describe your feelings toward the game?

All I can say is:
1) Panzer Dragoon Saga: My favorite RPG of all time, also critically praised
2.) Shining Force II but no Shining Force 3 /extremely puzzled
3.) Dragon Force?

If I had to guess, no Sega Saturn were used in the making of this list.

Eidan

All I can say is:
1) Panzer Dragoon Saga: My favorite RPG of all time, also critically praised
2.) Shining Force II but no Shining Force 3 /extremely puzzled
3.) Dragon Force?

If I had to guess, no Sega Saturn were used in the making of this list.

Seems like no Sega Saturn was necessary in making the list.

Top Bottom