• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN’s Top 100 RPGs

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
EVE Online isn't really an RPG. It's a social experiment. :/

Davey Cakes

Hmmm. Four years ago I played FFVI but only made it about half way through (stopped shortly after getting to the World of Ruin). If I wanted to beat it I'd have to download it and play through the first half again. It's been a while, though.

Worth it?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon Red/Blue may have been extremely influential, but every Pokemon game after it improved upon what was there in too many fashions for it to be placed that much higher than the games it spawned.

Raxus

Really wish they nominated Gold and Silver over Red and Blue.

While Red and Blue started the phenomena Gold and Silver solidified it. It is a far superior game and introduced so many concepts that clicked.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Placing Phantasy Star at 96 meant I don't give a shit about this list.

Should be top 10, top 20 minimum.

Number one for me obviously, it was the game that introduced me to RPGs (Ok so maybe I am bias)

eXistor

I swear to God if Skyrim is in the top 20 I'm gonna cut someone. Hell if it's even in the top 100 I'm gonna cut someone.

I'm gonna have to sharpen my knife aren't I?

/ serious edit: Holy shit, number 7? I guess I should have expected as much. Oh well, peeps are getting cut!

*looks at the list, ctrl-f "nier"* -> laughs

I love Nier and played through it many times. But, I think it is a rather shitty game tbh. Outside of it's cult following it isn't a very well-known game either. Just a freaky mediocre game that tries to do a bunch of things (none of which particularly well), has an amazing soundtrack, and an interesting storyline and premise. But as a game it just doesn't deserve the insane amount of praise it gets imo.

Cosmozone

So Ultima IV is the best Ultima eh? Seems to be true that they meant most influential than best, also explains the Pokemon weirdness.

And where's Etrian Odyssey, grumble.

Negator

World of Warcraft should easily be top 3. There probably is no other game at all more widely appreciated and played than it so consistently and by so many. Hate on it all you want, but it is fun before you hit 300 days played and its sales and activity prove it.

I don't think any of those FF games should be top 10 (or even 50). FF games do not stand the test of time particularly well. Their mechanics are simple and boring. People play them and still say they are best due to two factors: nostalgia and hype. There are other games which are far better designed and far more fun than them. They just happen to be a part of a long list of copycats that at some point become more of the same and not as special. There's simply no way that the games of olde could stand up to today's gameplay mechanics. There's a reason no one produces big budget 2d RPGs anymore. It's because those games aren't better than what we have today.

The main point I try to make is that the list of top 10 RPGs should probably come from this console generation and last generation. Before that, consoles were incapable of making gameplay that is even remotely compelling by today's standards. At least not as anything other than XBLA games and the like. I'm sure some of you will disagree with that, and a few of you may actually feel what you purport to feel, but most of you don't play old RPGs because....they suck.

tumblr_m8e15xLuoM1rn5aoo.gif

flyover

So Ultima IV is the best Ultima eh? Seems to be true that they meant most influential than best...

You're probably right as to why it ranked highest of the Ultimas. But I honestly find it the most replayable of the series, to this day. Because of when it was released, its graphics are rudimentary, but the world, character growth, and gameplay still hold up. It's just fun -- so long as you wait until near the end before recruiting any other party members. The only time it gets cumbersome is when you have to manage all your compatriots in battle.

Woffls

Hmm okay, respect for putting Mass Effect 1 in the top 10. I loved that game and I believe it's the best in the series, not least the best RPG.

Pokemon RBGY should have been BW though... I mean, its just better. I guess there's something to be said for simplicity in a handheld RPG, so that might have a lot of weight.

TheContact

Hmm okay, respect for putting Mass Effect 1 in the top 10. I loved that game and I believe it's the best in the series, not least the best RPG.

Pokemon RBGY should have been BW though... I mean, its just better. I guess there's something to be said for simplicity in a handheld RPG, so that might have a lot of weight.

I don't think it's about what the more advanced game in. Pokemon R/B, when it came out (were you old enough) was an INCREDIBLE game. It certainly had more an an influence than black,white,purple,neon yellow or whatever million color versions they have already

Pokemon RGBY brought more new to the table than any Pokemon game. As much as the new games have added it really is just the same formula tweaked but with less appealing pokemon (to most people).

Little surprised DA: O is not on that list (or am I blind)? Not sure if its Top 25, but it should be Top 100.

Oh and DA 2 could be on the top 100 worst!

CaptNink

The only games that actually allow you to role-play are too low on this list. You know which ones I'm talking about...and they ain't no JPRG nonsense.

VARIA

No Dragon Warrior 3 ?

Ah well, these lists have always been meant to spark controversy and increase page views so whatever.

dude

dude
Did they just... put Fallout 3, higher than Fallout 2? And FF6 higher than BG2? And Mass Effect higher than PS:T?

Welp, screw this.

squidyj

Awful list. Morrowind and Deus-Ex should be #1 and #2 respectively.

nope.

Wow, people really dislike FF6 that much? kinda sad really.

Wow, did you really say old rpgs suck? Graphics are not the only important thing about rpgs. A game like FF6 got me emotionally more involved than any rpg released this gen.

Btw, didn't know FF4 had such a following but still, discussions are dominated by FF6-FF10 and everything inbetween.

I love FF6 but I don't think that unprecedented investment was because of the greatness of the game.

jeremy1456

Final Fantasy VI is the only ff game I would call stupidly easy.

The fact that it's at the top and Lunar Eternal Blue is so low is just... Well..

Anustart

These lists really need to take the nostalgia goggles off. Dragon Warrior / Quest beating out Xenoblade? Sure, Dragon Warrior was a hell of a game back in the day, and it got me into rpgs, but come on. There's no reason for it's high spot in this day.

jeremy1456

These lists really need to take the nostalgia goggles off. Dragon Warrior / Quest beating out Xenoblade? Sure, Dragon Warrior was a hell of a game back in the day, and it got me into rpgs, but come on. There's no reason for it's high spot in this day.

I disagree.

While myself not having played xenoblade yet I really have to say that Dragon Quest is really well made.

Are you talking about just in a tech sense?

WTF is this shit!
Panzer Dragoon Saga is not anywhere to be found in the entire list!

are you kidding me?

Seriously, better than the entire Top 5 combined.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is pretty hard to get hold of.

It's IGN, how is that an excuse?

Mass effect 1 being at 9 is a joke.

Deserves to be higher. Best RPG this gen.

Placing Phantasy Star at 96 meant I don't give a shit about this list.

Should be top 10, top 20 minimum.

Number one for me obviously, it was the game that introduced me to RPGs (Ok so maybe I am bias)

Phantasy Star also introduced SquareSoft to how to make good RPGs.

Anustart

I disagree.

While myself not having played xenoblade yet I really have to say that Dragon Quest is really well made.

Are you talking about just in a tech sense?

Not in a tech sense, but rather these lists should be comprised of what games are actually top, and not games that were at the peak in their era.

I won't argue that DW wasn't great when it was released, because it was and I played it for countless hours. It's just that if you stack DW up against more modern rpgs, In my opinion it no longer comes close to standing out.

jeremy1456

Not in a tech sense, but rather these lists should be comprised of what games are actually top, and not games that were at the peak in their era.

I won't argue that DW wasn't great when it was released, because it was and I played it for countless hours. It's just that if you stack DW up against more modern rpgs, In my opinion it no longer comes close to standing out.

It still stands out to me.

I played Dragon Quest II for the first time well after the likes of FFVI, Chrono Trigger, etc. had been released and still enjoyed it.

I think the original Dragon Warrior is still crazy fun. I actually managed to get a friend into it that had never played classic RPGs, but was a fan of the modern genre. It's high up on his list now.

It's really well designed, and has its own charms.

EDIT: I'm just saying, you shouldn't be so quick to blame the nostalgia glasses. I'm playing Parasite Eve for the very first time via my Vita, and I do have to say that it's a lot of fun despite being a game that I've seen many blame the nostalgia goggles on as well.

Anustart

It still stands out to me.

I played Dragon Quest II for the first time well after the likes of FFVI, Chrono Trigger, etc. had been released and still enjoyed it.

I think the original Dragon Warrior is still crazy fun. I actually managed to get a friend into it that had never played classic RPGs, but was a fan of the modern genre. It's high up on his list now.

It's really well designed, and has its own charms.

That one actually is much more enjoyable than the first. It brought a lot of improvements to the genre, and yes, is still quite fun today. In fact I just played through and beat it again about a year ago. I'd place it much higher on a list than part 1, if the first even made the cut onto my list :)

jeremy1456

That one actually is much more enjoyable than the first. It brought a lot of improvements to the genre, and yes, is still quite fun today. In fact I just played through and beat it again about a year ago. I'd place it much higher on a list than part 1, if the first even made the cut onto my list :)

Really? I just found it unbalanced. I enjoyed it, but really, it wasn't as well designed as the first.

I mean it had multiple party members, but they were basically useless by the end game.

EDIT: Wait, did you first play it on the GBC? They fixed the issues on that version, but made it too easy.

Top Bottom