• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Ex-Rockstar Dev Sheds Light on Long Lost Game Agent's Development Troubles

Topher

Gold Member
Former Rockstar Games technical director Obbe Vermeij has shed light on the developer's long lost spy thriller Agent, which was announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive in 2009 but has since disappeared.

In a blog post detailing his 1995 to 2009 tenure at Rockstar North, the studio where Agent originated, Vermeij said pressure from Grand Theft Auto 5's development contributed to the game eventually switching studios before seemingly being scrapped altogether.

"We really got going on this one and worked on it for over a year. I remember working on a downhill skiing chase scene with guns for instance," Vermeij said of Agent.

"The game wasn't progressing as well as we'd hoped. It was inevitable that eventually the whole company would have to get behind the next Grand Theft Auto. We tried to cut the game down in an attempt the get the bulk of it done before the inevitable call from New York would come. We cut out an entire level (I think Cairo) and maybe even the space section.

"It became clear that [Agent] was going to be too much of a distraction for us and we ditched it. I think it was handed over to another company within Rockstar but never got completed." Half of the Rockstar North team was working on Grand Theft Auto 4 DLC and Grand Theft Auto 5, while half was set to work on Agent before the importance of its premiere franchise took over.

The game is presumed to be a dead project at Rockstar but has never been officially cancelled. Little else suggests it's still being worked on though. Images leaked in 2015 that showed some of its levels, and while some hope remained due to renewed trademarks, this was eventually scrapped in 2018 and its website shut down in 2021.

Agent was developed as a spy thriller akin to James Bond, earning it the codename "Jimmy" within the Scotland-based Rockstar North studio, with Jimmy being a Scottish nickname for James.

"The game was to be set in the 70s, be more linear than Grand Theft Auto with a number of locations," Vermeij said. "There was a French Mediterranean city, a Swiss ski resort, Cairo, and at the end there would be a big shootout with lasers in space. Classic James Bond. The vibe was very cool."

Rockstar was kept busy otherwise with smash hits GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2, releasing in 2013 and 2018 respectively. The entire video game industry is currently waiting with bated breath too, as the developer has announced the reveal trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 will arrive in early December 2023.

Those lamenting the James Bond game that never aren't completely out of luck though, as Hitman developer IO Interactive is currently working on a video game set in the 007 universe.

Interesting, sounds like it would have.....

squirrel GIF

Sorry, I got "distracted" so I "ditched it".

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Oh wow, that just happened within a few hours then, Rockstar really are assholes. How dare he talk about how he made a game 20 years ago.

Yeah, it seems so. I clicked on the link in the article and that's what I saw. I agree with you though......go to the source first if possible.

graywolf323

I loved Alpha Protocol so thinking about what Agent could have been makes me sad, it’s a shame they didn’t prioritize it but basically since GTA V released all they’ve done is RDR2

I doubt the Bond game from IO is going to be anything like what Agent would have been

Last edited:

Three

The fact that it still hasn't officially been cancelled leads me to believe it's a Skull and Bones and Singapore situation except Singapore is probably Sony.

Last edited:

LordCBH

I was looking forward to this game for years until I gave up hope…..reading what they envisioned for it makes it sting even more that we will never get it

From the description this dev was giving of the game, it sounded like it would play like a less gritty version of Max Payne, but in much more varied locales. Sounds intriguing, but it makes sense that GTA takes priority over a new IP exclusive to one platform. What reason though does Rockstar have for not just coming out publicly and stating officially for the record that the game is dead?

bitbydeath

From the description this dev was giving of the game, it sounded like it would play like a less gritty version of Max Payne, but in much more varied locales. Sounds intriguing, but it makes sense that GTA takes priority over a new IP exclusive to one platform. What reason though does Rockstar have for not just coming out publicly and stating officially for the record that the game is dead?
Maybe then they’d have to pay Sony back. 🤣

CamHostage

Interesting.

rockstar doesn’t want anyone talking about the internals of their company.

Rockstar was always an incredibly controlling company, so I'm not surprised.

Also, it'd be just like them to not want anybody to build a rep off of "Rockstar" being on their resume. We know the names of the Housers and Lazlow, but aside from that, nobody has launched a big business offshooting from Rockstar. Leslie Benzies is finally trying to do it now with his Everything game (after suing his former employer for royalty failures,) and David Jones will always put "creator of GTA" in his CV, but you'd think there would be a number of these little studios out there formed by former R* North Scotland / Angel / SD / Toronto / Vancouver / Leeds staffers. (How many companies have been born out of people leaving CDProjekt Red already?) It just didn't seem to happen. Did people really love it there so much that they just never left and/or never wanted to use that credit in their new startups? Or did Rockstar just tell everybody who left to keep their names out your #$%& mouth?

Last edited:

HL3.exe

I looked forward to this for years, hoping it would've been a open-ended political thriller build around stealth gameplay with R*'s trademark style. Splinter Cell Double Agent, but good.

But the more I've read leaks over the years, it being more goofy and linear, i'm less sad it got internally canned. But, who knows, could've been fun and refreshing.

It's still a bummer though that R* seems to be only working on GTA and RDR, instead of investing in new IP development like before.

Last edited:
I genuinely did not know this wasn’t cancelled. This was one of those on my list of games never coming out like FFVersusXIII (RIP) back in the day.

Oh wow, that just happened within a few hours then, Rockstar really are assholes. How dare he talk about how he made a game 20 years ago.
Yeah, it seems so. I clicked on the link in the article and that's what I saw. I agree with you though......go to the source first if possible.
Here's an alternative source for you with additional info besides Agent (link).

Last edited:

Three

I genuinely did not know this wasn’t cancelled. This was one of those on my list of games never coming out like FFVersusXIII (RIP) back in the day.
The fact that it hasn't officially been cancelled doesn’t necessarily mean it's ever coming out.

I wonder if Sony and Rockstar ever planned to make a James Bond game out of this when Sony pictures had the rights to the movies before they lost them in 2015.

elmos-acc

This is beyond fucked up. Sure it is a R* project, but it is a YEAR of his and the teams life. He should be able to talk about it.

The worst part of cancelled projects is that all those people and their blood, sweat and tears were essentially for nothing (except paycheck, of course). They created the levels that no one got to explore, wrote the story twists that no one got to react to designed the set pieces that no one got to experience.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Remember when R* actually produced games other than GTA ?

Nowadays, the norm is to get a new GTA every...10 years , or, if we're lucky, another RDR somewhere in-between...

Listen, i get it, they make gazillions out of GTA, still, turning a whole company into a literal GTA factory just to keep selling "Shark cards" to the 12-year olds...yeah

Last edited:

Hudo

Remember when R* actually produced games other than GTA ?

Nowadays, the norm is to get a new GTA every...10 years , or, if we're lucky, another RDR somewhere in-between...

Listen, i get it, they make gazillions out of GTA, still, turning a whole company into a literal GTA factory just to keep selling "Shark cards" to the 12-year olds...yeah
I lamented the same thing on this very forum and got shit for that.

Perrott

Gold Member
Hmmm, did ya check out that link you posted?

msyWFOM.png

DI8BlyL.png
Thank god for the Internet Archive:

After San Andreas we REALLY wanted to do something that wasn't gta. Rockstar San Diego were working on a James Bond style game. Leslie Benzies was keen to do something along those lines. We did a demo doing some spy stuff in San Andreas. I think there was a hang glider and a car turning into a submarine or something.
It impressed R*SD and NY and we started working on it. The idea was that the team in North would roughly be split down the middle. Half of us would work on the next gta (4) and the other half on Agent.
Internally the project was known as Jimmy. It was a James Bond game and Jimmy is the Scottish version of James.
The game was to be set in the 70s, be more linear than gta with a number of locations. There was a French Mediterranean city, A Swiss ski resort, Cairo and at the end there would be a big shootout with lasers in space.
Classic James Bond. The vibe was very cool.
We really got going on this one and worked on it for over a year. I remember working on a downhill skiing chase scene with guns for instance.
The game wasn't progressing as well as we'd hoped. It was inevitable that eventually the whole company would have to get behind gta4. We tried to cut the game down in an attempt the get the bulk of it done before the inevitable call from NY would come. We cut out an entire level (I think Cairo) and maybe even the space section.
It became clear that Jimmy was going to be too much of a distraction for us and we ditched it. I think it was handed over to another company within R* but never got completed.

StueyDuck

Former Rockstar Games technical director Obbe Vermeij has shed light on the developer's long lost spy thriller Agent, which was announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive in 2009 but has since disappeared.

In a blog post detailing his 1995 to 2009 tenure at Rockstar North, the studio where Agent originated, Vermeij said pressure from Grand Theft Auto 5's development contributed to the game eventually switching studios before seemingly being scrapped altogether.

"We really got going on this one and worked on it for over a year. I remember working on a downhill skiing chase scene with guns for instance," Vermeij said of Agent.

"The game wasn't progressing as well as we'd hoped. It was inevitable that eventually the whole company would have to get behind the next Grand Theft Auto. We tried to cut the game down in an attempt the get the bulk of it done before the inevitable call from New York would come. We cut out an entire level (I think Cairo) and maybe even the space section.

"It became clear that [Agent] was going to be too much of a distraction for us and we ditched it. I think it was handed over to another company within Rockstar but never got completed." Half of the Rockstar North team was working on Grand Theft Auto 4 DLC and Grand Theft Auto 5, while half was set to work on Agent before the importance of its premiere franchise took over.

The game is presumed to be a dead project at Rockstar but has never been officially cancelled. Little else suggests it's still being worked on though. Images leaked in 2015 that showed some of its levels, and while some hope remained due to renewed trademarks, this was eventually scrapped in 2018 and its website shut down in 2021.

Agent was developed as a spy thriller akin to James Bond, earning it the codename "Jimmy" within the Scotland-based Rockstar North studio, with Jimmy being a Scottish nickname for James.

"The game was to be set in the 70s, be more linear than Grand Theft Auto with a number of locations," Vermeij said. "There was a French Mediterranean city, a Swiss ski resort, Cairo, and at the end there would be a big shootout with lasers in space. Classic James Bond. The vibe was very cool."

Rockstar was kept busy otherwise with smash hits GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2, releasing in 2013 and 2018 respectively. The entire video game industry is currently waiting with bated breath too, as the developer has announced the reveal trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 will arrive in early December 2023.

Those lamenting the James Bond game that never aren't completely out of luck though, as Hitman developer IO Interactive is currently working on a video game set in the 007 universe.

Interesting, sounds like it would have.....

squirrel GIF

Sorry, I got "distracted" so I "ditched it".
Even at that time, fun spy games basically didn't exist outside of splintercell (mgs to me isn't a spy game).

Would've been cool to see what a Rockstar James bond would have been, this is the Rockstar during the era of gta4-5 so that's la noire/red dead/max Payne 3 time gap.

hopefully Perfect Dark isn't a complete trainwreck when/if it releases. Until then we luckily have IOI 007... and let's be honest, could you think of a better studio than IO to head up a James bond game

Let's hope the baby fiddlers aren't fucking it up somehow

Last edited:
Top Bottom