• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN France issues an apology for its ignorant fun poking at Black Myth Wukong

LectureMaster

Gold Member

The original post that only embarrassed themselves: (now deleted)
io6O0R7.png

Isn't it a little dangerous to put your magic stick that grows in your ear? It's not a cotton swab.

The ignorance in full display, as this is a faithful represent of the source material. Wukong stowing his staff in the ear is so well-known that it is basically common sense in Chinese speaking community.

kgifKX1.jpeg

It's beyond me those half assed amateurs really think they were doing journalism.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The original post that only embarrassed themselves: (now deleted)
io6O0R7.png

The ignorance in full display, as this is a faithful represent of the source material. Wukong stowing his staff in the ear is so well-known that it is basically common sense in Chinese speaking community.

kgifKX1.jpeg

It's beyond me those half assed amateurs really think they were doing journalism.

Calling them paid game bloggers instead of journalists would be a first step. They are at best cosplaying as journalists.

Last edited:
They have a point. If I had a magic staff like that there's no way I'd put it in my ear. I don't care if some monkey think it's okay.

Also, this really doesn't seem like the sort of thing you should have to apologize for. Sun Wukong using his staff as a Q-tip might be "basically common sense in Chinese speaking community" but this is IGN France, not IGN China. Yeah, the joke might be lame from a Chinese perspective, but is it offensive enough to warrant a fucking apology? I highly doubt it. It's not exactly surprising, though. China and its army of online defenders love crying over having their feelings hurt.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
Who gives a shit? Shitposting on the internet is one of its primary use cases. Just because some Twitters feel offended by it (and 100% of them aren't Chinese, I reckon) is no reason to apologize. In fact, just call these people retards and move on.

mdkirby

Bit of a mountain from a molehill. They weren’t familiar with the lore of the character. It was just a funny thought they had, which when thinking about it, yeah that does seem dangerous. It’s like wondering, if you know Jesus can turn water into wine or bread into fish, that he should have obviously turned the cross into jello. It’s not offensive, it’s just silly.

geary

Jesus it's just a joke but you're acting like they insulted your entire bloodline.

Fuck IGN but this isn't it, chief.
No one would have had any problem with it if it was from a personal account, but that account represents the company. They need at least to fake some professionalism, otherwise any official account from any company can become a parody if is not required some common sense from it.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
Not even 1% funny

Its exactly the kind of attempt you find on Reddit when you sort the comments on "best".

Last edited:

Filben

So, it's more a harmless joke that also applies to the source material. I don't see anything that needs to be apologized for. Even if it's something close to the source material, it's still quite silly to begin with it. It's not like they were ripping the whole thing apart and wrote a whole paragraph on how utterly ridicilous this "storage solution" is... it was just a little joke. I wonder what Chinese people find funny about Western culture and I'm fine with that.

Embearded

They have a point. If I had a magic staff like that there's no way I'd put it in my ear. I don't care if some monkey think it's okay.

Also, this really doesn't seem like the sort of thing you should have to apologize for. Sun Wukong using his staff as a Q-tip might be "basically common sense in Chinese speaking community" but this is IGN France, not IGN China. Yeah, the joke might be lame from a Chinese perspective, but is it offensive enough to warrant a fucking apology? I highly doubt it. It's not exactly surprising, though. China and its army of online defenders love crying over having their feelings hurt.

The thing is, IGN France has been crying about offensive material in games and now they are making "offensive" comments on foreign material.

They are tasting their own poison.
I am pretty sure the article writer said something in the lines of "how the hell should i know" which would never be accepted as an excuse by IGN if someone else said that.

They made a passing joke that was harmless. Yet they had to apologise.

But then again, we live in a world where people are constantly getting offended. I am pretty sure my words have offended someone, somewhere now too.

cormack12

Gold Member
.....but is it offensive enough to warrant a fucking apology? I highly doubt it. It's not exactly surprising, though.

It isn't. But this is the landscape they've cultivated over the last 4/5 years. They are now just on the receiving end.

The reality is 99% of all this virtue signalling crap, or disingenuous race baiting is not offensive but the court of social media demands sacrifice and fealty.

The sooner everyone just tunes this out and ignores it the better.

Jesus it's just a joke but you're acting like they insulted your entire bloodline.

Fuck IGN but this isn't it, chief.

This. The actual apology is what makes them look like clowns. But the joke itself is completely whatever. Like if a Chinese person made fun of Robin Hood for wearing tights. Who cares? People bashing IGN for that thing in particular look like desperate contrarians. If your hailbringer Colian Moriarty made this joke and was critiziced for it, you'd all be stanning for him now.

Last edited:

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
Its a joke...I see absolutely no problem with It .... BUT the problem is that IGN and its blue hair writers wouldnt never accept some joke they didnt find "PC" and would cry endless about it.

So if you cant take the joke you cant make them .. fuck you

So many people in this thread are missing the context. For IGN France a "joke" like this IS an issue. In a normal world, it would never be, but we are talking about a company that has a track record of offensive comments against Asians and their cultures. So, if they apologize is because they know full well the intent behind the comment. We must judge these people according to the standards that they impose on others.

Besides, even if the comment is not offensive, it's definitely ignorant. The very minimum of people who write about something is being knowledgeable about it, which is not the case either.

The thing is, IGN France has been crying about offensive material in games and now they are making "offensive" comments on foreign material.

They are tasting their own poison.
I am pretty sure the article writer said something in the lines of "how the hell should i know" which would never be accepted as an excuse by IGN if someone else said that.
Well, yeah. I'm assuming that's why they apologized.

The hypocrisy goes both ways, though. You've literally got people in this thread asking for the site to be shut down over what is essentially a non-event that hardly merits the creation of a thread. I'm aware that IGN in general and IGN France in particular have previously done shit that definitely warrants criticism. But this? It's literally fucking nothing, yet people are happy to take the side of the snowflakes who issued the complaint in the first place because dunking on IGN apparently trumps ideological consistency.

The sooner people start ignoring pointless drama like this, the better.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean unlike the first one where they just insulted the director of stella blade for well... like beatiful women, this just seems like a bit of a joke at the expense of something ridiculous in old stories given modern context.

Not at the same level in my book.

ahtlas7

If it wasn’t for IGN FR’s horrible take on recent things I wouldn’t care… mob, burn them down. I’m peacing out.

Mr.Phoenix

Seems they are doing more apologies than anything else.

They are on track to be involved in some sort of sex scandal next.

Bit of a mountain from a molehill. They weren’t familiar with the lore of the character. It was just a funny thought they had, which when thinking about it, yeah that does seem dangerous. It’s like wondering, if you know Jesus can turn water into wine or bread into fish, that he should have obviously turned the cross into jello. It’s not offensive, it’s just silly.
There had been countless comical gags in Asia showing the staff expanding by accident while still in his ear. It's been more than 400 years, all the jokes you can come up with had already been told.

GHound

Gold Member
IGN France: Has melties over dumb shit
Everyone:
who-killed-hannibal-shooting.gif

IGN France: Makes a stupid joke
Everyone:
V1gY.gif

Top Bottom