• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN France issues an apology for its ignorant fun poking at Black Myth Wukong

Pelta88

mitch1971 mitch1971 Coming from you or I? Sure. Coming from a journalist who refused to put minimal effort before making fun of another culture’s religious / folklore is disingenuous at best.

A “Journalists” basic directive is to gather the facts first and foremost. A basic google search would have told ign France that that post was problematic.

Last edited:
mitch1971 mitch1971 Coming from you or I? Sure. Coming from a journalist who refused to put minimal effort before making fun of another culture’s religious / folklore is disingenuous at best.

A “Journalists” basic directive is to gather the facts first and foremost. A basic google search would have told ign France that that post was problematic.
There was nothing problematic about it. It was a stupid joke. Jokes make fun of things, people and culture. That's the whole point of them.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Even if he did research, it's still not harsh to make fun of it. It's a guy pulling a stick out of his ear like an ear bud. Even I laughed when Monkey did the same in the 80's series on tv.

Last edited:

Pelta88

There was nothing problematic about it. It was a stupid joke. Jokes make fun of things, people and culture. That's the whole point of them.

Your stance is about whether or not the post is a joke. My point is that a “journalist” should be making fun of another cultures religious / folklore.

Your stance is about whether or not the post is a joke. My point is that a “journalist” should be making fun of another cultures religious / folklore.
Growing up, some of the funniest stuff I read was in CVG and Amiga Power. Gaming culture was fun and colourful and took the piss out of things. You can continue to live in post-2015 year-zero if you wish, but that's off-trend and the rest of us are taking our culture back. Even IGN France can sniff the change in the wind, apology excepted.

mitch1971

Gold Member
You are assuming a journalist has morals... or you know, maybe like most people, they have a funny bone.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
kgifKX1.jpeg

It's beyond me those half assed amateurs really think they were doing journalism.

Off topic, but how the hell can there be a montage of all the different versions of Journey To The West without the absolute most famous one of all?

XdubQtu.jpeg

QyTOQSe.jpeg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Soodanim

mitch1971 Coming from you or I? Sure. Coming from a journalist who refused to put minimal effort before making fun of another culture’s religious / folklore is disingenuous at best.

"Problematic"? Research before tweets? People offended about a fictional game based on folklore of a monkey? Come on now. Step back for a second and take a look at what happened here:

IGN France made a health and safety joke about putting a stick that grows in size in your ear after seeing it in a game's trailer.

That's it. There was no ill intent, they didn't make fun of anything real, they didn't attempt to rewrite history, they didn't disparage a people. They made a joke.

I invite everyone to take the piss out of King Arthur, Merlin, or St George and see how much of a fuck any English person gives.

CosmicComet

It's was an extremely stupid joke that shouldn't be necessary to apologize for but this is exactly the type of climate game journalists cultivated for themselves, so fuck them, no sympathy.

Senhua

Ah, one more case about: "White man pretend to know more about China than locals itself".
Multipolar world cannot be more soon enough. Cmon China, majority of 6 bln global south will behind you....

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can't we do a Johnny Silverhand and nuke Twitter? World would be a better place.

DonF

Gold Member
Taste of your own medicine, ign France. Posting problematic and ignorant stuff, no no.
It's not that they should apologize, it's because it's ign France and they like to point fingers at others.

LordOfChaos

I remember on vacation once I was talking to a French couple and the girl goes "We're French, but we're not racist against you"

Um...I wouldn't have thought about it if you hadn't said anything? 🤣

StereoVsn

Ah, one more case about: "White man pretend to know more about China than locals itself".
Multipolar world cannot be more soon enough. Cmon China, majority of 6 bln global south will behind you....
You are stanning for a brutal dictatorship, but sure, it’s the evil Westerners.

As far as the global South, India and Philippines don’t seem particularly enamored with China. Even Indonesia and Vietnam are very cautious due to CCP’s “amazing” South Sea maps.

Toons

am i missing something here? it's just a lighthearted joke? why does everyone feel the need to make a big deal out of everything?

In these days people are more concerned about virtue signaling on the internet than being willing to accept and bear our foibles

BlackTron

Gold Member
They have a point. If I had a magic staff like that there's no way I'd put it in my ear. I don't care if some monkey think it's okay.

Also, this really doesn't seem like the sort of thing you should have to apologize for. Sun Wukong using his staff as a Q-tip might be "basically common sense in Chinese speaking community" but this is IGN France, not IGN China. Yeah, the joke might be lame from a Chinese perspective, but is it offensive enough to warrant a fucking apology? I highly doubt it. It's not exactly surprising, though. China and its army of online defenders love crying over having their feelings hurt.

It's like overhearing someone talking about Achilles and interrupting with "LOL who aims at a persons foot in battle?"

Yeah it doesn't usually make any sense, but by pointing it out you just revealed you have no clue what you're talking about.

simpatico

Calling them paid game bloggers instead of journalism would be a first step. They are at best cosplaying as journalists.
Gaming is not a subject that requires "journalism" in the serious sense. Give me game reviewers and previewers. Reporters. There are no hard hitting stories that requires a scarf clad, self important "journalist". Vintage Game Informer is as serious as it ever needs to get. Bring back GamePro review scores.

Last edited:
Agreed. This was a harmless joke. There was no need for IGN France to apologise.
I would agree there is no need to apologize, as it's just ignorance, not mean spirited or anything.

But it does betray a level a ignorance and unwillingness to understand the material they are covering. This would be the equivalent of making fun of Link for having pointy ears, or Mario for being a plumber.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The issue I have here is the fact that they still think you should put cotton swabs in your ear. Those just push the earwax further in. If you have earwax problems see a doctor!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not unexpected.

In all of Canada, if you guys want to see the most bigoted, self absorbed province head over the Quebec.

French first laws, and they got a real hate boner for other religions. If a teacher wants to wear a headscarf it’s a big no no by law. Take it off. Yet you’ll never hear about a French Christian wearing a cross needing to do the same.

Then drive over the border to Ontario and nobody gives a shit who you are or what you believe in or what langauge you speak. As long as you don’t cause trouble everyone is welcome. Even if your shop has signs and menus in another language nobody cares.

Last edited:

Soodanim

What does that white man pretend to know more about?

Also, can you explain that second sentence please?

Last edited:

Killer8

IGN France have a history of cringe what with the Stellar Blade drama. But this is pretty obviously a joke and Chinese netizens are some of the world's most fragile people. Get over it.

Top Bottom