• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: How Hidden Nazi Symbols Were the Tip of a Toxic Iceberg at Life Is Strange Developer Deck Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Deck Nine when the Metacritic of the next Life is Strange comes out:

jAtobpZ.jpg

1i8j7u.jpg

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
What? IGN is evolving!

Congratulations! Your IGN evolved into Kotaku!
Definition of "evolving" is adapting to the place... They're doing the exact opposite, so they're not evolving into Kotaku, they're regressing

Not gonna bother reading any stupid shit from IGN.

I'm just surprised that the number 18 is now racist.

That's my birthdate. I guess I have to be cancelled now.
everyone that liked your comment is super smart unlike IGN, even tho youre doing the same shit you accuse them off. useless sensationalism.

It’s not that the number 18 is “racist”. It’s in combination with these other Nazi icons, that clearly 18 is a reference to Adolf Hitler. Someone in the team is clearly obsessed with adding constant AH references all over their games. That is mental.

But oh no someone is gonna cancel ur birthday. LOLZ. LMAO. HEHE.

skyfall

People are having a gaf at retards who think the number 18 is a Nazi number.

The fact that you can't seem to understand that and are trying to twist this around on others is very telling.

These era types are attached to the 24/7 political news cycle and social media, so they are constantly seeing propaganda and fear mongering, which will 100% effect your mental health negatively, and influence how you see things.

Nazi takeover should not be a daily concern of any normal person

Last edited:
No one buys the Life is Strange games. Branding the series as the "gay" "woke" series is poison and burning money away. Square-Enix gets it, but not the woke. HILARIOUS.

Nydius

Oh no, not two common numbers!
The horror!

The people claiming the numbers themselves are indicative of hate speech remind me of the morons 20-25 years ago who legitimately believed the band “311” were members of the Klan (because the 11th letter of the alphabet is K, and 3 of them = KKK).

People looking to be victims can find any meaning they want in anything to perform their mental gymnastics.

Last edited:

Griffon

So wrong-speak also includes random numbers now?

Man this is so hard to follow, last time I paid attention to the insane asylum we couldn't do the okay sign anymore :messenger_ok:
What's next?

Last edited:
And someone in another topic was having pity for this psycho bitch, smh.
I mean, i guess you could have some small, minute, amount of pity in the sense that her ideas were probably not always her own. They were probably taught to her at a young age and, for whatever reason, she wasn't able to see those ideas play out to their logical conclusion. That if you hate men you're probably gonna spend the vast majority of your life alone with all the misery that comes along with that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Realistically what did they expect management to do? They find the guy who made the art, say, "hey did you use the number 18 because you love Adolf Hitler?" "No". "OK you're fired"
Oh no, not two common numbers!
The horror!

The people claiming the numbers themselves are indicative of hate speech remind me of the morons 20-25 years ago who legitimately believed the band “311” were members of the Klan (because the 11th letter of the alphabet is K, and 3 of them = KKK).

People looking to be victims can find any meaning they want in anything to perform their mental gymnastics.
I think this is a good post, let me signal that with a common hand gesture.
Kqzvuq5.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
I still can't believe how /b/ trolled literally the entire planet with this shit. Incredible.
My favourite was when they tried to rebrand fashtags

Sho_Gunn

Banned
People are having a gaf at retards who think the number 18 is a Nazi number.

The fact that you can't seem to understand that and are trying to twist this around on others is very telling.
Don't worry brother I understand how this works seeing how i'm not upset over this story like you . The irony in calling people retards while also thinking the issue is the literal numbers "1" "8" lmfao.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Don't worry brother I understand how this works seeing how i'm not upset over this story like you . The irony in calling people retards while also thinking the issue is the literal numbers "1" "8" lmfao.

Then what is the issue? The *vast* majority of folks here are just having fun mocking the mentally deranged folks who immediately assume 18 is a nazi number. But no, you are right. Clearly all the people having a gaf are just actually upset.

I get that reading can be hard. But I trust that you can learn how to do it eventually.

SHA

Not gonna bother reading any stupid shit from IGN.

I'm just surprised that the number 18 is now racist.

That's my birthdate. I guess I have to be cancelled now.
They aren't real gamers, they just get paid cause it's ign.

SHA

WTF is wrong with this game? I liked it actually till the last part, it has 10,000 players so I shouldn't expect much from the series, counting the positives what matters actually and the are many in this game.

kyussman

Years ago if you read of someone feeling unsafe in their workplace you would think something pretty serious was going on that needed action......these days it could just mean someone wore the wrong coloured pair off socks to work and it offended a work mate......some people are so insane these days,I just take no notice of this stuff.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hidden hate symbols are real: the problem is that they’re created specifically to blend in society to hide individuals true affiliation and as society at large discovers them they stop serving it’s purpose so they get renewed and the cycle begins but at the same time the older ones are still used - it’s a complicated cultural process and interpretation, specifically by people not part of the subculture tends to be error prone. Context matters, experience in dealing with individual from these cultures matter.

For example: 1-11 is used as a gang call sign on some Idaho prisons. Are you a cop looking for a member of that gang and you find and individual with a prison record in Idaho with a 1-11 tattooed? You’re in the ballpark. Some random dev scribbles a 1-11 in a road sign in a game? Who the fuck knows.

At the minimum you should have a list of what you don’t want in the game and if someone breaks the rules to put in known nazi symbols well, you know. But a simple accumulation? Is it nazi or is it someone’s inner Cartman? Or truely honest mistakes? Who knows.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
At the minimum you should have a list of what you don’t want in the game and if someone breaks the rules to put in known nazi symbols well, you know. But a simple accumulation? Is it nazi or is it someone’s inner Cartman? Or truely honest mistakes? Who knows.

Objectively speaking, its extremely dubious to attach a political motivation to what might be a simple case of pranksterism without evidence.

I can easily imagine someone at the studio who pays lip-service to the demands of a highly ideological minority but inwardly finds them insufferable hiding stuff like this in assets just to stick it to them!

As per usual with woke-types and their supporters/enablers there's a complete absence (or perhaps avoidance) of consideration that they may be disliked on a multitude of grounds other than political ones. Personal conflict is never factored in, its always on an ideological plane - this is unequivocally improbable.

Hidden hate symbols are real: the problem is that they’re created specifically to blend in society to hide individuals true affiliation and as society at large discovers them they stop serving it’s purpose so they get renewed and the cycle begins but at the same time the older ones are still used - it’s a complicated cultural process and interpretation, specifically by people not part of the subculture tends to be error prone. Context matters, experience in dealing with individual from these cultures matter.

For example: 1-11 is used as a gang call sign on some Idaho prisons. Are you a cop looking for a member of that gang and you find and individual with a prison record in Idaho with a 1-11 tattooed? You’re in the ballpark. Some random dev scribbles a 1-11 in a road sign in a game? Who the fuck knows.

Thats reasonable and everything but when you start using these new terms like "hate symbols" you begin creating that paradigm that evil is lurking on your doorstep. Just call it descriptive terms like gang affiliation, neo nazi, nambla, slenderman, etc. Nothing discredits an effort to raise awareness more than fear mongering. And as I hinted at earlier in the thread, many times when these symbols get found out and sensationalized, it turns out to be a hoax.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It must be tiring trying to find new ways to be offended every other day. To the point you have to try and associate numbers like 18 and 88 to have a reason to justify your hate and anger.

Last edited:

DryvBy

The article has almost every red flag in the full-retard album: Nazis, racism, white supremacists, crunch, toxic culture, "people feeling unsafe".

I'm just missing it wasn't Jason Schreier the one to write this piece.

These extreme loon terms instantly makes me not care. Dog whistle is another stupid term they think is brilliant.

Can we get a complete list on which numbers aren't neo-Nazi?

It must be tiring trying to find new ways to be offended every other day. To the point you have to try and associate numbers like 18 and 88 to have a reason to justify your hate and anger.
These extreme loon terms instantly makes me not care. Dog whistle is another stupid term they think is brilliant.

Can we get a complete list on which numbers aren't neo-Nazi?
Yeah guys, 88 being associated with neo-nazis is totally insane! I bet if I searched for “88 nazi tattoo” I wouldn’t get a single hit!
Oh…wait….pages and pages and pages of them.
main-qimg-00e141dd127156675328825a53294ae2.webp

Just numbers and symbols guys! They could mean anything! Like sports numbers or like the year you were born! Everybody uses Germanic runes all the time, surely nothing to do with nazis.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah guys, 88 being associated with neo-nazis is totally insane! I bet if I searched for “88 nazi tattoo” I wouldn’t get a single hit!

Just numbers and symbols guys! They could mean anything! Like sports numbers or like the year you were born! Everybody uses Germanic runes all the time, surely nothing to do with nazis.
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Well shit, you convinced me. I couldn’t tell the man was a NeoNazi without that 88 in there. The other tattoos were just too subtle, but that 88? That was the clear confirmation I needed.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Good alternative reading of the article:

Basic points:
1. Narrative director was nice to his subordinates and tried to help them in their careers.
2. SJWs on staff were triggered that he didn't immediately kowtow to their demands and accept their ideas
3. Instead he chose to collaborate, discuss, get input, and then do his job and make a decision on the narrative.
4. SJWs retaliated by trying to get him fired and ruining his career.
5. The SJWs had no real evidence of his wrongdoing so they built their accusations around their feelings about him ("he didn't say or do anything inappropriate, but we were uncomfortable").
6. In spite of this they put out a well-regarded game.
7. Eventually the SJWs got their way and he left.
8. Company started to fall apart immediately after, while he is doing fine.

Closing point of op-ed (why people put these on X these days I do not know).

For all the effort these disgruntled former employees and the hack journalist have gone through to destroy Garriss’s reputation, the only concrete allegations present in the article are that he was very nice to people who behaved appropriately in the office, that he did not respond favorably to the employees who made his writers room a hostile space, and that he did not immediately take every note and incorporate every change suggested by people who were higher than him on the progressive stack.

I don't know how you run a company these days built around telling stories, while also trying to make money.

TransTrender

Gold Member

OH FUCK THEY GOT 14!
NOT 14!!!!!
yHdC3F2.gif

You know, I try my best to be really empathetic towards these issues but man they make it so hard to take them seriously when I see comments like these:

Like, what kind of pussy shit is this lmao? You feel unsafe because of a couple of symbols in a video game? The west has raised a generation of sheltered cowards. Can't imagine how "unsafe" those people would feel in a place like Colombia or Haiti.
Exactly. These people are pussies. So afraid and so offended by anything and everything. I would put more numbers and other things deemed offensive by them so they would piss off and leave. People like that are a plague and why everything is so screwed up in society today. Meet them head on and don’t ever let up or cave to their bullshit. That is how you will eventually rid society of them. You have to be pretty weak minded and pathetic to let a number make you feel ‘unsafe’. Pathetic.

jason10mm

Gold Member
everyone that liked your comment is super smart unlike IGN, even tho youre doing the same shit you accuse them off. useless sensationalism.

It’s not that the number 18 is “racist”. It’s in combination with these other Nazi icons, that clearly 18 is a reference to Adolf Hitler. Someone in the team is clearly obsessed with adding constant AH references all over their games. That is mental.

But oh no someone is gonna cancel ur birthday. LOLZ. LMAO. HEHE.
But isn't it in HEBREW where letters/words also have numeric value?

Damn nazis are culturally appropriating!!! Now THAT'S where I draw the line!!!

But seriously, the "88" thing I have seen before, not so much "18". Or the swirly thing for pedo stuff, seems like just an easy to add abstract design for a bit of texture on a model, but apparently it's a pretty legit thing.

I just bought a door hanger that looks like a pineapple to use when I'm on vacation in hotels , I hear it means "housekeeping come back tomorrow" :p

th4tguy

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Well shit, you convinced me. I couldn’t tell the man was a NeoNazi without that 88 in there. The other tattoos were just too subtle, but that 88? That was the clear confirmation I needed.
True. You needed other context to make that connection. The number 88 by itself is not enough.
The studio found other nazi symbolism hidden in the code and art as well though. That’s what is being communicated. That’s why it’s so dumb that everyone in this thread is just focused on a number and not the bigger picture.
It’s the equivalent of looking at the tattoos on this guys arm and making the same comments about 88 or 18.

OH FUCK THEY GOT 14!
NOT 14!!!!!
yHdC3F2.gif
don’t be wilfully stupid and ignorant. It’s not complicated. There were a couple of trolls on the team checking in shit that was white power shit and snickering about it and it was getting deleted.
There is such a thing as context. You know that. Don’t play an idiot. If someone said their kid was 14, that’s one thing. If someone has 14/88, a swastika and fucking lightning bolts, they’re Nazis.

simpatico

Imagine the absolute hell this developer must have been in making this game at that studio. We need to make sure he’s even OK.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
don’t be wilfully stupid and ignorant. It’s not complicated. There were a couple of trolls on the team checking in shit that was white power shit and snickering about it and it was getting deleted.
There is such a thing as context. You know that. Don’t play an idiot. If someone said their kid was 14, that’s one thing. If someone has 14/88, a swastika and fucking lightning bolts, they’re Nazis.
Nah. If people have a swastika and SS imagery, they are Nazis. Simple as.

You seriously need to lay off the drugs and conspiracy theories, mate. Or are you going to tell me that apple juice is secretly a nazi symbol as well?

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
True. You needed other context to make that connection. The number 88 by itself is not enough.
The studio found other nazi symbolism hidden in the code and art as well though. That’s what is being communicated. That’s why it’s so dumb that everyone in this thread is just focused on a number and not the bigger picture.
It’s the equivalent of looking at the tattoos on this guys arm and making the same comments about 88 or 18.

Nah what's dumb is the context that OF COURSE that dev would be the ones crying about such things and that a place like ign is covering this fantasy story. It's completely ridiculous all around even if there was a shred of truth to it there is no " OMG !! We are unsafe! Poor us! " aspect to it. It's akin to high schoolers drawing penises in the girls bathroom. Even less so.

Last edited:

May I see footage of the game with those symbols in it so we get the context?

Someone replied with statements from the studio but still no evidence of such allegations. And no, I am not believing those till I see them with my own eyes.

What is dumb is to discuss something nobody has seen and give these people the benefit of the doubt. It's crazy to presume that this is real and nobody took a pic or print screen.

May I see footage of the game with those symbols in it so we get the context?

Someone replied with statements from the studio but still no evidence of such allegations. And no, I am not believing those till I see them with my own eyes.

What is dumb is to discuss something nobody has seen and give these people the benefit of the doubt. It's crazy to presume that this is real and nobody took a pic or print screen.
So I agree about not having seen anything. There’s no public evidence, and the push on the lead writer for certain things seems silly.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

If you swapped hidden hate symbols for hidden Illuminati symbols, everyone would scoff at this and dismiss all of this as conspiracy theory drivel. Except for, you know, people into conspiracy theories. Or, in this case, people who feel unsafe if they dream that someone stepped on their shadow, and try to sue and cancel that someone in real life for “microaggressions” or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom