• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Kirby Canvas Curse Review (DS)

Tiktaalik

I usually find kirby games very easy, and I don't buy them, but I've been despirate for new non-minigame/arcade style games on the DS. I'll probably pick this one up.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Zaxxon said:
I usually find kirby games very easy, and I don't buy them, but I've been despirate for new non-minigame/arcade style games on the DS. I'll probably pick this one up.

WHAT
...mm freudian slip.

Tiktaalik

Kiriku said:
WHAT
...mm freudian slip.

spelling :\

I got the original Kirby's Dreamland for gameboy when I was a kid. It was super easy and I later gave it to my cousin. I played an SNES Kirby game a while ago at a friends house and it was really simple too. I've heard lots of good things about Kirby's Tilt and Tumble, and I've wanted to try that, but doesn't it play backwards on the GBA?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
first game I've ever preordered right there.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I'll pick this up along with the DS itself once I'm done with this quarter of classes and the final projects I have to complete.

Its gonna be tough to decide on a color though, the typical platinum or the newer blue.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
buuuuuuuuuuuuuying iiiiiiiiiit

best DS purchase so far: Yoshi Touch & Go
(personally, i think its the best handheld game ive ever played, but i know thats crazy. i had a gba, never used it)

and Pac-pIx? ehhh, not a big fan, a little disspapointed in the money i spent

kirby looks great though, can't wait to play it on the bus ride to work in nyc every day

ps sorry been drinking

Ark-AMN

Banned
Here are the games I'm looking at post Kirby:

Meteos - 6/27/2005
Nanostray - 7/19/2005
Lunar Genesis - 7/26/2005
Advance Wars - 8/22/2005
Trace Memory - 9/26/2005
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - 10/3/2005
Sonic Rush
Lost In Blue
New Super Mario Bros
Mario & Luigi 2

This game looks totally amazing. We're going to start seeing some killer DS software released within the next few months, and it all starts with Kirby. Next up is Meteos. :)

TheDiave

Banned
Ark-AMN said:
Here are the games I'm looking at post Kirby:

Meteos - 6/27/2005
Nanostray - 7/19/2005
Lunar Genesis - 7/26/2005
Advance Wars - 8/22/2005
Trace Memory - 9/26/2005
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - 10/3/2005
Sonic Rush
Lost In Blue
New Super Mario Bros
Mario & Luigi 2
No Nintendogs? You commie bastard!

...but yeah, Kirby sounds sweet. I'll be picking it up.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wait, another code is coming out in europe this month? anyone know of a site that'll ship european games to the us? i was thinking of buying kirby, but forget that now!

sammy

9.0 sounds about on-par (for as far as not being able to read it in Japanese goes)

The whole experience really is 'new' --- and solid on top of that ... the DS really needed this game.
It's like all those cool/fun little mini-games from launch-DS titles get realized into a cohesive platformer.

I can't wait to get it again : P

sammy said:
9.0 sounds about on-par (for as far as not being able to read it in Japanese goes)

The whole experience really is 'new' --- and solid on top of that ... the DS really needed this game.
It's like all those cool/fun little mini-games from launch-DS titles get realized into a cohesive platformer.

I can't wait to get it again : P

Why couldnt this of happened to Yoshi's touch and go as well.

I really wish they would of bothered turning that into a game rather than just releasing an extended version of the tech demo. :-/

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i just preordered another code from gameplay.co.uk. came out to just over $50 shipped. which is too much to pay for a ds game, yeah, but...i really need a ds game! all i've currently got is electroplankton, and there's nothing domestic i'm jazzed about until fall.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what's another code?

Also , game has 'brain games' and 'card games' listed as coming in July and June, respectively. Is that confirmed that brain games is getting a European release so soon?

amodf

I think they underrated it. But it's IGN!! Go IGN!

Kirby really is excellent. Trying to beat the game with the second playable character is a huge challenge, and will teach you how great the game actually is.

I thought the game was probably the best platformer in years and years. It's a shame there's unlockable characters because they ruin the balance that the time trials provide. Oh well! Marvelous game, that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
amodf said:
I think they underrated it. But it's IGN!! Go IGN!

Kirby really is excellent. Trying to beat the game with the second playable character is a huge challenge, and will teach you how great the game actually is.

I thought the game was probably the best platformer in years and years. It's a shame there's unlockable characters because they ruin the balance that the time trials provide. Oh well! Marvelous game, that.

eh? Wha? I've completed the main game but don't see a new character to play through with. Is there something specific you have to do? I really enjoyed playing it through, but have no intention of doing the time trials so its currently gathering dust - unless I can replay it with another character (and presumably different mechanics/physics)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
mrklaw said:
eh? Wha? I've completed the main game but don't see a new character to play through with. Is there something specific you have to do? I really enjoyed playing it through, but have no intention of doing the time trials so its currently gathering dust - unless I can replay it with another character (and presumably different mechanics/physics)
There's five characters you can play through the game as, in total.

Kirby
Waddle Dee
Waddle Doo
King Dee Dee Dee
Metaknight.

Each one's records are kept separately, I believe, and have their own medals to collect.

:)

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
olimario said:
If you haven't played a kirby before I suggest you do. Some of them are fantastic.

What do you reccomend?
*Has never played a Kirby Game*

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GaimeGuy said:
There's five characters you can play through the game as, in total.

Kirby
Waddle Dee
Waddle Doo
King Dee Dee Dee
Metaknight.

Each one's records are kept separately, I believe, and have their own medals to collect.

:)

Damn!

bobble

So this comes out this week? I guess I better not eat for the next 2 days so I can buy it ASAP otherwise I'll have to wait a few extra days....

Screw it, I'll starve.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SnowWolf said:
Same here. I think I played a Kirby game for the N64 for about 5 minutes? (Did one exist on N64? It might have been GameCube)
Yeah.

If you want a good kirby game, I'd recommend Kirby Super Star for the SNES. It's the best Kirby game out there (dunno how Canvas Curse stacks up against it). Or if you don't have access to any of the old systems, try getting Kirby & The Amazing Mirror for the GBA.

btw: I'M GAY FOR KIRBY!

explodet said:
I just saw the commercial.

It's wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

But amusing. I just saw it this morning.

It features a Kirby and a finger (people in suits) walking along... they come to a manhole, the finger lays over it so Kirby can walk over. Something else I can't remember, and then they come to a fork in the road (very Big Fish-esque in my mind, but I just saw the movie about two weeks ago), one with a rainbow path, and the finger nudges Kirby in that direction. It basically talks about protecting Kirby and keeping him out of of trouble.

Sounds lame the way I describe it, but the commercial is amusing enough when you watch it.

Can't wait to pick the game up, myself.

Top Bottom