• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN/NXGamer: Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 Performance Review (Original vs. PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Volume 1 has a plethora of issues that put some of the games in a worse state than their original release. We dive into where this port fails to meet expectations and why you're better off waiting for it to be patched, or simply buying the older versions of this collection instead.

Last edited:

adamsapple

TL-DR:

- It's shit.
- MGS1 runs worse than original game on native PS1 hardware
- No emulation enhancement, no higher resolution, not even the texture wobbling gets fixed
- MGS2 and 3 suffer from gamma blowout issue, they look overly bright
- MGS2/3 have WORSE texture filtering than PS2 / HD Collection
- MGS2/3 run at 720p/60 FPS
- MGS2/3 have some issues like skipping sound cues, subtitles being out of sync and appearing misaligned in some places.
- The only redeeming value of this package is the extra collector shit it includes, otherwise the *games* are worse conversions than other versions.
+ At least the load times are fast.

Example of really low texture filtering versus decade old 360 version (texture filtering is the same across PS5/SX/SS)

image.png

Last edited:

Pelao

At least all this motivated me to do a Metal Gear marathon, something I used to do annually until a few years ago.
I played through MGS1 on my PS3 and now I'm on the Bluepoint remaster of MGS2 on my Series X, and it runs flawlessly. I can't wait to get to MGS3, which I only opened to play through MG1 and MG2 when I started this.
I'm glad I didn't waste my money on this "Master" collection" bullshit.
I will also very carefully see what state the MGS3 remake is released in before I buy it.

Antwix

They couldn't add a UI to view the manuals in? It just opens the konami website for the manual in the console web browser lmao

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Konami has really gone down the drain.. Why do they even keep all their IP if they’re not going to bother making anything worthwhile? Sell them to someone who cares enough to at least not put out something like this.

adamsapple

MFW the PS3/X360 version looks better than the Series S|X and PS5 version.

What a fucking shitshow.

This is right up there with SH HD Collection. The only saving grace is that it comes packed in with some bonus goodies and MGS1. Otherwise this is a much inferior product than the Bluepoint 360/PS3 conversion.

image.png

adamsapple

True,I'm enjoying my PS3 one,with Peace Maker as well,still an amazing collection to this day.

Same. Picked up both of these a few years back.

MGS 2/3 have been delisted digitally so Konami can sell this piece of shit (and archival stuff of course), but PW is still there.

I would recommend fans to pick up Peace Walker before that also gets delisted. And I have little faith they'll do the game justice in the Vol 2 collection.

Not to mention, another reason the backwards version is superior, is that the series x emulation automatically adds 16x isotropic filtering, which is sorely lacking from the new version.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Same. Picked up both of these a few years back.

MGS 2/3 have been delisted digitally so Konami can sell this piece of shit (and archival stuff of course), but PW is still there.

I would recommend fans to pick up Peace Walker before that also gets delisted. And I have little faith they'll do the game justice in the Vol 2 collection.
I know,I wanted to get 2 and 3 on Xbox as well since 3 is one of my fav games of all time and 2 is incredible as well but only saw Peace Maker there and it's a bit of a steep price for just one game.I hate that these companies keep delisting games....like If its not a racing,movie or superhero game with licensing issues why delist it?

Crayon

Well that sounds like garbage.

I fear for the snake eater remake now. Konami seems like they could wreck it. I got a bad vibe from the trailer.

Garibaldi

I really want this as the MC menu and extra bits (digital manuals/history/soundtracks etc) looks amazing for a collector and fan of the series, but if this is how they treat one of my favourite series, they can fuck right off.

The amount of coin and good will Konami could have garnered if they just put a little effort into the actual games and making sure they were perfect. This is the shite they give us.

I've got physical copies of just about every version sat in my cupboard. So disappointed.

Wow, even worse than I thought. If it worked on Steam Deck though I'd probably still buy it because I love these games. Apparently it's fucked though so no chance.

I wish I could understand how to get Emu Deck working properly. Would get the PS3 collection and just play that on there instead.

Best way to play those games are still the impeccable Bluepoint collections on PS3 and X360. If you have a PS3 you also play natively MGS there.

The only good thing is the framerate of MGS2/MGS3 seems improved compared to the aformentionned collections. But they look so much worse that I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited:
Seems like the collection is a bigger disappointment than learning you play as Raiden in MGS2.
I’m gonna be honest; I ended up liking Raiden. He’s endearing in a psychotic nerd sort of way. They really patched him up after 2.
87lfWDZ.gif

Let’s wait and see if they patch up this collection though. If they do I’ll be waiting until the physical copies are cheap myself.

Top Bottom