• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN/NXGamer: Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1 Performance Review (Original vs. PS5 & Xbox Series X|S)

Senua

Gold Member
Not to be the devil's advocate here, but my only issue is the audio mix.
Using some mods I'm playing at 3440x1440/60FPS just fine.
I didn't test the others.

V9XGVBE.jpg

Oyp0P8t.jpg

K1PIxd9.jpg

N0cPfMB.jpg
M6D2BWx.png

RaduN

Best way to play those games are still the impeccable Bluepoint collections on PS3 and X360.
No fucking way.
The ps360 remasters are just almoat as shit as the ps5 ones, missing tons of graphical effects, bad framerates (especially on ps3) and missing extras.

If the lower ps2 resolution turns you off, use ps2 emulation and experience the games in all their true glory.

RaduN

Not to be the devil's advocate here, but my only issue is the audio mix.
Using some mods I'm playing at 3440x1440/60FPS just fine.
I didn't test the others.

V9XGVBE.jpg

Oyp0P8t.jpg

K1PIxd9.jpg

N0cPfMB.jpg
It's so sad that people think this is how MGS3 actually looked.
No, it looked much better due to the (apparently impossible to reproduce in either HD remaster) ps2 post processing effects.

Play it on a ps2 on a good crt or in ps2 emulator with proper settings, and come back then.

fatmarco

I somehow guessed before release they'd fuck up anisotropic filtering and yet I'm still surprised that they actually did.

I don't know how stuff like this happens.

GametimeUK

Metroid Prime came out around the same time as these games did, and their remaster came out this year, and look at the respect Nintendo treated their game versus what Konami did.
Metroid Prime remastered was great, but their Mario All Stars Collection was a barebones effort too. I wish they applied their effort consistently to their legacy titles.

Roxkis_ii

snake-salute.gif

It's a travesty how Konami are treating such awesome series. Sony really should try to buy the IP off them. It deserves so much better then this.

Bluepoint + Kojima = God like remake.

Last edited:

radewagon

In regard to the treatment of MGS1, I'll play a little bit of devil's advocate. I'm in no way excusing the awful effort that Konami put in to get this on current gen systems. It's an insult to one of the most influential games ever released.

That said, I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY 3d title that started its life on the PSOne that has been properly remastered. Crash Bandicoot? Remake. Spyro? Remake. Resident Evil? Remake. Heck, even MGS got a remake. It's almost like the entire gaming industry is collectively dumbfounded by what to do with the PSOne's low poly, dithered, texture warped glory. In my head, it should be as simple at checking out duckstation but a lot of people seem to think that any uprezzed psx games are somehow worse because the games weren't designed to be seen in high res. Makes sense. I get that. Honestly, though, that needs to be the move going forward. Increase the resolution, fix the texture warp, and add a bunch of good filters (like, retrotink 5x and not just a lazy scanline overlay) so that everyone can choose their poison.

So, yeah. Konami, bad. But also, every other publisher too. That low poly look is beautiful. They need to figure it out already.

EDIT: I thought of a few since posting. FFVII and FFVIII's remasters are pretty great looking though I haven't been able to devote much time to them. Also, the Switch Tomb Raider games (another series that got a remake instead of a remaster) that are in development look interesting if not promising.

Last edited:
TL-DR:

- It's shit.
- MGS1 runs worse than original game on native PS1 hardware
- No emulation enhancement, no higher resolution, not even the texture wobbling gets fixed
- MGS2 and 3 suffer from gamma blowout issue, they look overly bright
- MGS2/3 have WORSE texture filtering than PS2 / HD Collection
- MGS2/3 run at 720p/60 FPS
- MGS2/3 have some issues like skipping sound cues, subtitles being out of sync and appearing misaligned in some places.
- The only redeeming value of this package is the extra collector shit it includes, otherwise the *games* are worse conversions than other versions.
+ At least the load times are fast.

Example of really low texture filtering versus decade old 360 version (texture filtering is the same across PS5/SX/SS)

image.png

What the serious fuck??!!

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Seems like a faithful conversion of the original MGS.

None of this matters. I can finally own all 3 mgs games on one disc on ps5

No it's not as bad.
Hyperbolic bullshit like this belong to another forum.

It’s not that bad. The games are faithful to originals

I agree it's weird that mgs 2 and 3 didn't get a higher resolution but besides that this offer is totally fine.

The notion that these are 'bad ports' is slowly eroding in the face of more and more evidence that Konami have fixed numerous longstanding issues with the last HD Collection.

These 'terrible ports' - the Bluepoint ports, which everyone adored before the narrative change, broke a lot of visual effects. Konami have actually gone in and fixed these.

I have the other console versions and yeah I agree - it's slickly packaged with everything you could want or need. The Switch version is disappointing but the others are great.
Yet people are shitting all over this because they have a personal dislike for a faceless corporation.

The amount of manufactured rage here over some decent ports is a little ridiculous. It feels comparable in quality to the DMC remastered trilogy to me.

Issues with the PC and Switch ports aside, the XSX and PS5 versions don’t seem nearly as bad as people want them to be.

We can all hate on Konami. This is the first time I have played Metal Gear Solid since 1998. (I never got far). Regardless if it is a perfect port (it isn’t). It is HIGHLY playable and currently the best way to play the game.

I can’t be bothered to go fishing for more quotes, but I think that’s enough.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Metroid Prime remastered was great, but their Mario All Stars Collection was a barebones effort too. I wish they applied their effort consistently to their legacy titles.
Well, the collection wasn't peddled as a remaster after all. The games looked fine on modern TVs and apart from some visible cubes in some platforming levels in Sunshine, there were no egregious flaws at release. Konami makes it look like the bare minimum effort is something we should be grateful for, and wait for a patch or two to get.

tommib

Well that sounds like garbage.

I fear for the snake eater remake now. Konami seems like they could wreck it. I got a bad vibe from the trailer.
I fear even more for the SH2 remake. It’s going to be a shitshow.

Last edited:

fersnake

i know its not like just copy/paste the hd collection from bluepoint but cmon konami how this even possible to screw?

GametimeUK

Well, the collection wasn't peddled as a remaster after all. The games looked fine on modern TVs and apart from some visible cubes in some platforming levels in Sunshine, there were no egregious flaws at release. Konami makes it look like the bare minimum effort is something we should be grateful for, and wait for a patch or two to get.
Well this MGS Collection wasn't peddled as a remaster either as far as I'm aware. I thought it was just a collection like the Mario All Stars which makes it more of an even comparison. Yes Mario is a better effort than MGS, but that's not saying much. Mario All Stars was still extremely underwhelming nomatter how you slice it. Nintendo aren't immune to doing lazy jobs either.

Killer8

I can’t be bothered to go fishing for more quotes, but I think that’s enough.

The majority of the criticism of this Master Collection, pre-release, was that Konami were not going far enough in enhancing these games beyond what was already in the HD Collection (ie. making them 4K/120fps/whatever). Mods released now on PC show that yes, it's fairly easy to hex edit an executable to make the games 4K:

... but with the catch of breaking numerous things, like cutscene pillarboxing, animation speed and further reducing post-effects like the depth-of-field in MGS3. The mod author even acknowledges it's not perfect in the video description (and who knows if they will even be able to fix these issues). To me that doesn't sound optimal at all, even if the mod ticks the boxes everyone wanted ("Konami totally could've just hired this guy bro!").

In the run up to release there was of evidence that Konami were fixing numerous longstanding issues with the HD Collection versions. If Konami had basically just did exactly that, people would still be upset because it wasn't enough, but at the very least it would be a better version of the HD Collection in our hands. However, it now looks like on the whole, Konami couldn't even deliver an experience on par with it. You only find that out after the release and analysis is done and dusted.

So in this case i'll readily admit that the gut reaction turned out to ultimately be the correct one, but the discourse surrounding this collection was still extremely retarded.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

In regard to the treatment of MGS1, I'll play a little bit of devil's advocate. I'm in no way excusing the awful effort that Konami put in to get this on current gen systems. It's an insult to one of the most influential games ever released.

That said, I'm having a hard time thinking of ANY 3d title that started its life on the PSOne that has been properly remastered. Crash Bandicoot? Remake. Spyro? Remake. Resident Evil? Remake. Heck, even MGS got a remake. It's almost like the entire gaming industry is collectively dumbfounded by what to do with the PSOne's low poly, dithered, texture warped glory. In my head, it should be as simple at checking out duckstation but a lot of people seem to think that any uprezzed psx games are somehow worse because the games weren't designed to be seen in high res. Makes sense. I get that. Honestly, though, that needs to be the move going forward. Increase the resolution, fix the texture warp, and add a bunch of good filters (like, retrotink 5x and not just a lazy scanline overlay) so that everyone can choose their poison.

So, yeah. Konami, bad. But also, every other publisher too. That low poly look is beautiful. They need to figure it out already.

EDIT: I thought of a few since posting. FFVII and FFVIII's remasters are pretty great looking though I haven't been able to devote much time to them. Also, the Switch Tomb Raider games (another series that got a remake instead of a remaster) that are in development look interesting if not promising.

The PS1 title is the most mind boggling one for me here. To have worse performance than the original hardware with hardware as powerful as they are releasing on, I just don't see how it happens. I used to emulate PS1 games on an old AMD K6-2 with whatever the flavor of the day integrated graphics were at the time, I could often even do 60fps in 30fps games (though it would generally make the characters walk too fast).

Last edited:

Kerotan

I'm really enjoying Metal Gear (1987) and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake (1990). Hopefully they patch the others. I'll be playing MGS1 in the next couple of month's but wasn't planning on MGS2/3 for a long time so hopefully a few patches by then.

Killer8

c5SL7jb.jpg

I’m playing on ps5 and my bridge texture looks fine and the game isn’t blown out like those series s shots

I suspect this might be a bug that only affects the Xbox version and PC (if no driver level AF is forced), as all the videos i've seen of the PS5 version have been fine:

ZUzHJhl.png

PS5:

n5TLOIQ.png

Fairly poor of IGN to miss this in the analysis.

Flabagast

Best way to play those games are still the impeccable Bluepoint collections on PS3 and X360. If you have a PS3 you also play natively MGS there.

The only good thing is the framerate of MGS2/MGS3 seems improved compared to the aformentionned collections. But they look so much worse that I don't think it's worth it.
Lmao who are you ?

Bluepoint conversions are horrible

radewagon

I suspect this might be a bug that only affects the Xbox version and PC (if no driver level AF is forced), as all the videos i've seen of the PS5 version have been fine:

ZUzHJhl.png

PS5:

n5TLOIQ.png

Fairly poor of IGN to miss this in the analysis.

That's flippin' weird. The Series X version looks like an N64 port of MGS2.

Calverz

TL-DR:

- It's shit.
- MGS1 runs worse than original game on native PS1 hardware
- No emulation enhancement, no higher resolution, not even the texture wobbling gets fixed
- MGS2 and 3 suffer from gamma blowout issue, they look overly bright
- MGS2/3 have WORSE texture filtering than PS2 / HD Collection
- MGS2/3 run at 720p/60 FPS
- MGS2/3 have some issues like skipping sound cues, subtitles being out of sync and appearing misaligned in some places.
- The only redeeming value of this package is the extra collector shit it includes, otherwise the *games* are worse conversions than other versions.
+ At least the load times are fast.

Example of really low texture filtering versus decade old 360 version (texture filtering is the same across PS5/SX/SS)

image.png
Looks like my original concerns were proved correct then. A shitty port of hd collection.

Top Bottom