• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Stellar Blade Drama Part III - Korean fashion magazine Maxim responds: "Eve's body type is indeed realistic and exists in reality."

CGNoire

I get what you are trying to say, but these folks are not changing society for progress, they want control of the narrative and for people to live by their rules and ways of thinking.

They are not changing society in any manner to help anyone, but to enrich themselves. They are using the power of words to nullify any opposition to their own value as people.

Most folks do not care for traditional values, they care that they have to put up with these mentally unhealthy people constantly telling them they are this or that and folks at this point are pushing back.

Western countries are easily manipulated through virtue of wanting to be welcoming and listening to other people’s opinions and having empathy for them.

I think the empathy went out the window at the millionth “you’re a racist”. There is nothing wrong with pointing out hypocrisy and idiocracy.
Yep the west is suffering from a Toxic-Level of Empathy Now.

Buggy Loop

I predict huge success to Korean dev studios in the future with that attitude

Well Done Yes GIF by The Swoon

I would buy into your argument if it were really the norm, but a character as UGLY as the one in Fable is clearly an exception. This forum is exaggerating too much on this issue, to the point that even the protagonist of Horizon Forbidden West is being called ugly.

What was the norm, the pattern, was that in the past 99.9% of women in video games were very beautiful and very sexy by default. That was the unreal thing that wasn't normal. Why was that? Just because.

Oh, and that's only talking about women. Because if men are ugly, we don't say anything. Which says a lot about the issue at hand...
Not really I've seen a bunch of ugly ass characters especially in Western games. I'm not about to list them all because frankly I don't care enough to.

I don't think Aloy is ugly and I have zero problems with realistic looking characters like Ellie from TLOU that fit into the theme and setting they belong to. Some people on the forum definitely overreact too on the opposite side just like you're saying but I definitely see the agenda western game devs are pushing with androgynous and downright ugly female characters in their games. I don't think we should go back to the 90s where every single female characters was sexy and gorgeous but there's a healthy balance and I think we have definitely strayed from that over the years as western gaming devs and journalists have pushed too far against what they think is the patriarchy's conditioning.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
She looks great but yes, she's not very 'real' at all.
She is very real... body type, hair, face, skin, just because she has implants dosent make all other parts of her unreal.. take her inplants off and put on some ugly fat chick and see what you get.

And as I already posted given the shape and size of her breasts she most probably already had beautiful natural good sized breasts that were merely size enhanced, which dosent make it artificial... look for Pamela Anderson baywatch to see what big/artificial looks like (basically two balls)

Yonyx

Not really I've seen a bunch of ugly ass characters especially in Western games. I'm not about to list them all because frankly I don't care enough to.

I don't think Aloy is ugly and I have zero problems with realistic looking characters like Ellie from TLOU that fit into the theme and setting they belong to. Some people on the forum definitely overreact too on the opposite side just like you're saying but I definitely see the agenda western game devs are pushing with androgynous and downright ugly female characters in their games. I don't think we should go back to the 90s where every single female characters was sexy and gorgeous but there's a healthy balance and I think we have definitely strayed from that over the years as western gaming devs and journalists have pushed too far against what they think is the patriarchy's conditioning.
We are nowhere near a balanced situation yet. Because for every unattractive woman you mention, I can tell you about two or three who are beautiful/sexy.

And the question is this: Why is there no mention or exaggerated complaints about the many unattractive male characters in video games? Because there are FAR MORE unattractive male characters than female ones, I believe we can all agree on that if we think about it for a moment.

Just by considering that question, you realize what's happening here. You only need to read this thread to understand it, but there are hundreds of threads on this forum about the same tiresome topic.

We are nowhere near a balanced situation yet. Because for every unattractive woman you mention, I can tell you about two or three who are beautiful/sexy.

And the question is this: Why is there no mention or exaggerated complaints about the many unattractive male characters in video games? Because there are FAR MORE unattractive male characters than female ones, I believe we can all agree on that if we think about it for a moment.

Just by considering that question, you realize what's happening here. You only need to read this thread to understand it, but there are hundreds of threads on this forum about the same tiresome topic.
In gaming overall I agree that there are far more sexy/beautiful female characters than ugly ones. I think where the imbalance lies is with AAA western games. I think there's been a push for more homely characters in western AAA games as of late and that's why some people are angered and overreacting. It might also be the reason IGN France is overreacting because they probably aren't used to seeing very attractive female protagonists in a AAA game being this publicized.

peish

My man, no need to be so defensive, we are here to have good discussion, claim a win? I'm not that childish.

Back in topic, I'm glad you know good about Kim Hyung Tae's past work and guy's signature is indeed exaggerated body ratio. 🤝🤝

But I'd say that Eve's figure is way closer to the Shin Jae-eun rather than the illustrations. We have the video of her doing the scanning and I wouldn't say her body is a far cry from the in game model.

This is our next triple AAA game from MS & main female protagonist :messenger_ok:
cFHsgbFUqKXk5FuvZnie8Z.jpg

I don’t get western culture now, i prefer to gaze at eve model, the other woman looks unattractive with her weight and all that chemical bleaching and piercing. She’s also too “loud” for me

Why times have changed and im a bad person for preferring eve model?

I don’t get western culture now, i prefer to gaze at eve model, the other woman looks unattractive with her weight and all that chemical bleaching and piercing. She’s also too “loud” for me

Why times have changed and im a bad person for preferring eve model?
No, you are most reasonable and it is the western culture that is fucked up. And we need bring it back to normal.

Why can't more companies push back like this? What the fuck is IGN France going to do to effect your sales? Fuck these journalists and push back when they act like unhinged, puritan assholes that make insane statements.

Seriously, if companies just fucking pushed back over and over again, these outlets will either change their tune (like IGN did) or fade into further irrelevance. You don't even have to go hard into mockery. Just respond rationally and firmly push back.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would buy into your argument if it were really the norm, but a character as UGLY as the one in Fable is clearly an exception. This forum is exaggerating too much on this issue, to the point that even the protagonist of Horizon Forbidden West is being called ugly.

What was the norm, the pattern, was that in the past 99.9% of women in video games were very beautiful and very sexy by default. That was the unreal thing that wasn't normal. Why was that? Just because.

Oh, and that's only talking about women. Because if men are ugly, we don't say anything. Which says a lot about the issue at hand...
The issue isn't why western devs makes ugly characters or not, the issue is why western gaming media is so against attractive character in games? If western devs are free to make any type of character they want ugly or not then Asian devs should also be free to make attractive character if they want.

Thats entire controversy behind Stellar Blade.....according to western gaming media attractive characters shouldn't exist in games because its not "realistic".

First attractive female with healthy body do exist and second this game is about Eve fighting alien creatures with exaggerated fighting style who the hell expecting realism in this game?

Last edited:
Seriously, the entire Stellar Blade controversy over Eve is getting ridiculous and tiresome. The creators of the game should NOT have to explain themselves and their designs every other day because these weirdos are offended by an attractive character. They refuse to acknowledge that women come in all different shapes, looks, sizes, etc and only want to see things that conform to their ideologies and standards.

I’m honestly ready for Stellar Blade to finally come and go so these individuals can go find something else to be offended and complain about.

Last edited:

Yonyx

The issue isn't why western devs makes ugly characters or not, the issue is why western gaming media is so against attractive character in games? If western devs are free to make any type of character they want ugly or not then Asian devs should also be free to make attractive character if they want.

Thats entire controversy behind Stellar Blade.....according to western gaming media attractive characters shouldn't exist in games because its not "realistic".
First attractive female with healthy body do exist and second this game is about Eve fighting alien creatures with exaggerated fighting style who the hell expecting realism in this game?

I'm talking about the subject in general. Specifically regarding Stellar Blade, what IGN did seems like utter foolishness to me.

Nobody has wanted to answer the question that I have already raised twice: Why is there no mention or exaggerated complaints about the many unattractive male characters in video games?

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

As a French man I just want to say: fuck you too.

Wtf is this hate, you know there is stupid people everywhere right? Yes even in your country. Fuck that IGN guy, I like my women to be sexy too.
Chill. I was talking about this crazy tard. That's why I said purple frenchie or something like that.

Wasn't talking about French people in general bud loll

Danjin44

I'm talking about the subject in general. Specifically regarding Stellar Blade, what IGN did seems like utter foolishness to me.

Nobody has wanted to answer the question that I have already raised twice: Why is there no mention or exaggerated complaints about the many unattractive male characters in video games?
In most games I personally played most male character were also attractive.

Yonyx

In most games I personally played most male character were also attractive.
There are far more unattractive male characters than unattractive female characters (also in proportion and in any way you want to measure it). The difference in this regard is abysmal and very noticeable the moment you think about it for a bit. Think, for example, about the list of fighters in fighting video games.

Last edited:
To be fair to the IGN France guy, he's surrounded by fat ugly westerners at Mcdonalds eating Royales with Cheese. Also, he works in gaming, so half his female coworkers will have face piercings, weird hair and major attitude. When youre surrounded by fuglies, it gets to a point you dont believe there's good looking women anymore.
On the other hand, French women sit at the apex of Western women for beauty.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Why does this all smack of manufactured outrage in order to rile up both sides in order to drive clicks and views...

There are far more unattractive male characters than unattractive female characters (also in proportion and in any way you want to measure it). The difference in this regard is abysmal and very noticeable the moment you think about it for a bit. Think, for example, about the list of fighters in fighting video games.
It isn't about "how many" attractive men vs women.

it is about "attractive women isn't allowed". Especially as the main lead. And the point here is that this is the customers wanting one thing and the people who don't play games wanting something different.

it doesn't matter how badly you want to sell me a steak made of broccoli, i am not paying for it. This is about consumer right to get what we want, what we are willing to pay for. We order things we like off the menu, and if your menu sucks we are walking out to go to a different restaurant. You don't get to argue about how rightious your menu choices are. You get clients when you serve your clients.

Consumers want what consumers want. Give it to us.

Majukun

it is about "attractive women isn't allowed". Especially as the main lead. And the point here is that this is the customers wanting one thing and the people who don't play games wanting something different.

it doesn't matter how badly you want to sell me a steak made of broccoli, i am not paying for it. This is about consumer right to get what we want, what we are willing to pay for. We order things we like off the menu, and if your menu sucks we are walking out to go to a different restaurant. You don't get to argue about how rightious your menu choices are. You get clients when you serve your clients.

considering they are still in business seems like they are giving consumers what vthey ewant, you are not just one of them in this specific case

Toots

Gold Member
I'd like to point out that the operating words to understand this messy situation are "IGN" "journalist", not "France". The dude "game journalismness" far outperformed his frenchness and he should not be taken as a french anymore.
We're actually in the process of stripping him of his nationality, but just can't find anyone in the french public administration who understands how to do it.

GymWolf

Hot French girls always have this really specific French look to them that I can't pin down and explain. All I know is it exists and it drives me crazy.
I vastly prefer italians or spanish women, french girls do almost nothing to me, i take a monica bellucci over a sophie marceau or lea seydoux any day of the week.

But then again, you probably have french girls that look italians and italian girls that look french, it's hard to pinpoint.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This is our next triple AAA game from MS & main female protagonist :messenger_ok:
cFHsgbFUqKXk5FuvZnie8Z.jpg

What’s really unrealistic here is how those game boxes were arranged. Phil’s maid must have some weird kind of OCD.

She is Tess from TLOU PS5 version.
what-do-you-think-of-the-new-tess-model-v0-ixsh45l4c5l91.jpg

This must be a joke. Please tell me it’s not really the same character :messenger_fearful:

Tess is 51, the PS5 model is way more in line with the looks of a 51 year old

They must have retconned her age in the remaster then, because the one on the left doesn’t look a day past 35 (even accounting for makeup that should be scarce and unnecessary in that setting), and even with the tech available 10 years ago they surely could have made her look older it they wanted to.

They must have retconned her age in the remaster then, because the one on the left doesn’t look a day past 35 (even accounting for makeup that should be scarce and unnecessary in that setting), and even with the tech available 10 years ago they surely could have made her look older it they wanted to.
The left is what Asia expect the average 35 year old to be. The right is what the Average 35 year old look like in the West.

Seriously, Western women age so fast. Bilibili is filled with comments on how fast Scarlett Johansson aged in the Black Widow film.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The left is what Asia expect the average 35 year old to be. The right is what the Average 35 year old look like in the West.

Seriously, Western women age so fast. Bilibili is filled with comments on how fast Scarlett Johansson aged in the Black Widow film.
Bilibili is filled with bs.

A 35yo as gaunt and wrinkled as the one on the right has a shit life, or she’s sick, or both. The last time people that age looked that wasted in the industrialized West was probably around the baby boom.

35 may be pushing it for the original Tess, but there’s lots of women nearing their 30s with that kind of complexion and young look in the streets.

BTW, the Tess on the right may be more appropriate for the setting, but if we’re to handwave away Abby’s build, I guess there was no compelling reason to make Tess more “realistic” in the remaster either.

Pelao

Tess is about late 30, early 40 in the game, not sure from where that 51 comes out?
I looked it up and it comes from the remake, not the original game.
Apparently you can see Tess's birth date if you inspect the asset of her papers in the PC version.
3ykJbwr.jpg

It looks like a retcon they added to justify what they did to her design, which is complete bullshit because not even in the concept arts of the original game was there any intention for Tess to look that old, only that her appearance had to be "rough."
gTr3Et7.png

Three

Yonyx

Let's not deceive ourselves; we've been playing video games for many years now. There are thousands of video games with attractive women out there. What many people on this forum find unacceptable is the notion that some women are appearing who are not beautiful/sexy.

With Stellar Blade the case of that IGN journalist is absolutely reprehensible. The reaction on this forum, evident from the comments on the picture of the Fable protagonist (and others), highlights that unattractive women are often not accepted in this medium. This is reprehensible as well because it turns us into the very thing we criticize hypocritically.

Danjin44

With Stellar Blade the case of that IGN journalist is absolutely reprehensible. The reaction on this forum, evident from the comments on the picture of the Fable protagonist (and others), highlights that unattractive women are often not accepted in this medium. This is reprehensible as well because it turns us into the very thing we criticize hypocritically.
I can only speak for myself but in video game I like to play as attractive characters male or female and most of time Asian/JP gives me that.

Top Bottom