• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Stellar Blade has racist artwork which will be removed with the day one patch

Tsaki

That's how I read it, too. I don't know how that's racist.
7WJNj03.jpeg

mortal

Gold Member
Could be an edgy joke name for the shop inserted by someone on the art team who familiar with that term.
It's also possible there could be some ‘lost in translation’ going on here due to cultural differences. Happens all the time in Asian countries when using English terms.
When I hear "hard R" the first thing that comes to mind is the racial slur, followed by the film Rating.

I don't particularly care if they keep or remove it tbh, it's inconsequential to the game.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Not to get hung up on semantics, but this isn’t racist artwork. It could be perceived as racist though.

This isn’t a Halo Infinite bonobo incident though.

Alebrije

Sony says it will remove Stellar Blade artwork that appears to reference racist slurs, claiming that the phrase's inclusion was "unintentional."

screenshot-2024-04-23-13-49-43-1713905553711.png

Via IGN
As a non English / U.S. speaker and not knowing the context.of Hard R. Thought the "Bad/rscist" issue was about the shadow Tha looks like a hard penis on the right, the red arrow points to it.

Saber

Gold Member
Now even the word hard means racism...when we keep asking themselves if theres a new low, media proves us wrong. Theres no limits for this, its just an endeless bottom.

Last edited:

skyfall

Was just about to buy this, I’m glad I didn’t as I will never support censorship.

One of the attractive things about this game was that it seamed to go against the trend of bending the knee to the woke mob, I guess that’s not the case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more things get censored post release similar to tomb raider.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
TIL that “hard R” was a racist slur.

Makes sense that a) they had no idea and b) they made this change after someone pointed it out. I don’t see this as some egregious censorship or anything,

S0ULZB0URNE

Was just about to buy this, I’m glad I didn’t as I will never support censorship.

One of the attractive things about this game was that it seamed to go against the trend of bending the knee to the woke mob, I guess that’s not the case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more things get censored post release similar to tomb raider.
Buy it physical and don't patch it... Value could go up for the launch copies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Unfortunate accidental, but kind of funny placing for the graffiti.
It obviously wasn't intentional, but it's good that they are being cautious about it.

100% agree here. What would be funny is if the shop owner was black lol

This is not censorship.

Thank you. This needs to be said 100x times.

Last edited:

tommib

You’re not buying this because it’s going to be patched? It totally looks unintentional but I get the potential of a clusterfuck if it stays there. You’re broken man. They made a mistake. It’s not censorship. Jfc. I don’t know who’s worse at this point.

Lunarorbit

When you see sexism everywhere in this game than it's not a leap to think that they must be racist too.

I imagine the Hard is just a random art asset that was procedurally generated and got put next to the R. What would they gain from putting a dog whistle in the game?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It is about the "N word". "N*gga please" is an example of something black people say to each other. A racist who calls someone a "n*gger" with the R sound at the end instead of the A sound......that's the "Hard R". Usually referenced by comedians and such.

Bill Burr's standpoint routine has a great example:

Ahhh ok ... I know about the racist use of the N word... didnt know thar Hard R was a somewhat reference to that.. thanks

I just got what this means. haha. I listen to nxtgen720's podcast at times, he uses that phrase.

imo everyone should quit using every variation of the word, then eventually it'll be so rare it'll be like calling someone a harlot.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
This would not have been removed 20 years ago. These are the times we live in. Something completely random and can offend the sensitivities of a certain group of people.

I understand why they're removing it. It's not worth the trouble of dealing with the nonsense for potentially months or years to come. Doesn't make it any less clown world worthy.

Last edited:

skyfall

This is not censorship.
They are removing the artwork due to the typical mob being offended. It’s literally the definition of censorship

You’re not buying this because it’s going to be patched? It totally looks unintentional but I get the potential of a clusterfuck if it stays there. You’re broken man. They made a mistake. It’s not censorship. Jfc. I don’t know who’s worse at this point.

Yes, I made a promise that I wouldn’t support censorship, even if it was small like this just as a personal principle.
It’s no big deal, just a personal thing. I’ll move on to one of many other game creators

Last edited:

darrylgorn

I had no idea about this.

Shouldn't it be important to have context about a message before assuming it's discrimination?

Filben

It is about the "N word". "N*gga please" is an example of something black people say to each other. A racist who calls someone a "n*gger" with the R sound at the end instead of the A sound......that's the "Hard R". Usually referenced by comedians and such.

Bill Burr's standpoint routine has a great example:

Bill Burr is why I even know about the hard R. Never knew before. But I still wouldn't come to that conclusion in a dystopian sci-fi game.

Also, not a single person in my country who hasn't heavily exchanged with American people, wouldn't know this. This kind of slang you aren't teached in school here. Even black facing is something I only learned at University. It's simply not a thing in my country. Guess it's like that in Korea, too. They have probably, too, different issues than artworks that could offend someone on the other side of the globe.

Last edited:

Aenima

Lol thats funny, not really bothered if gets removed or not, just show how fragily western culture became. This store is more my thing.

MUH7bUF.jpeg

But if you want to play the game with the way the artists intended, just get a physical copy.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Bill Burr is why I even know about the hard R. Never knew before. But I still wouldn't come to that conclusion in a dystopian sci-fi game.

Made in 2024?

Me and my mates "Celebrate" Black History Month by keeping an eye on what racist thing company XYZ will do for the month.
Or which black person are they killing this time and what ridiculous reasoning will they have for doing it.

skyfall

Bullshit. They are removing it before the game is even released so no, there is no "mob" involved here at all. Censorship is forced suppression of speech or expression. This ain't that.

Sony found it during their review process and told the devs to censor it out, which the devs did.

If you don’t agree with the dictionary definition of censorship then I don’t know what else to say

Last edited:
Top Bottom