• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Stellar Blade has racist artwork which will be removed with the day one patch

GymWolf

Yeah, journalist need to choose a lane.

They call out this sort of thing as being racist, but then they themselves have/had said racist comments (mainly, if not exclusively, targeting white male gamers).
Are you stupid or something?

GIA7npSbAAAxvaO.jpg

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I think removing it is the right call. If I were a dev and included artwork that would be construed as racism without realizing it then I would certainly want to remove it too.

Rejecting censorship does not mean you must offend people needlessly.
I mean chances that a Korean dev knowingly put in a racial slur just because is very very very remote.

Hell, I didn’t know what this meant and I have been living in US for over 30 years….

Hugare

This is hilarious

For certain, this is something carefuly placed there by racist koreans, and not something that went over their heads 'cause they aren't aware of western's bullshit

Zelduh

Next up, people will see a face on Mars and think it looks like a racist charicature and demand a space mission expedition to go remove it. Some people's pattern recognition has been broken by terminally online Western views and they project it on everything they see

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah. It’s an unintentional coincidence.

Perfectly valid to call for it to be edited, and removing it doesn’t compromise the intentions of the artist or diminish the material in any way.

Agree. Wasn't really even a call for the change. Sony and Shift Up took it upon themselves in this situation. I can imagine folks at Shift Up were as surprised to find out how the reference could be taken as some in this thread have been. But people need to make something controversial out of something, I guess.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Read the articles. That is in response to the Japanese ratings board.

"Developer Shift Up has confirmed that PS5 exclusive Stellar Blade will not be censored in any region, including Japan. Japan was specifically mentioned because the country’s rating board CERO is known for being strict. Last year, CERO banned Dead Space remake because of its gore."

Independently making changes to one's own work is not censorship.

Dude, I’m just being sarcastic.

Aenima

I think they should make a new graffiti saying "You cant be racist against white ppl", that would at lest make someone at Kotaku happy.

Last edited:

Three

I legit thought it was Hard Retard Shop
You're not the only one. I thought the same back when I first heard about it in this thread about somebody else (some developer) not knowing the meaning:

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It shouldnt even be called "racist artwork." It was a fucking accident. They had no idea. They dont live here. Outright calling it racist makes it sound like it was deliberate.

Also way to put the word in everyone's heads. Hey IGN, how about you take responsibility for the shitty words you want to use for a "story?" Get fucked.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
It shouldnt even be called "racist artwork." It was a fucking accident. They had no idea. They dont live here. Outright calling it racist makes it sound like it was deliberate.

Also way to put the word in everyone's heads. Hey IGN, how about you take responsibility for the shitty words you want to use for a "story?" Get fucked.
Another case of America=the world

GymWolf

The Hard R forum just locked their thread about it, that was record timing lmao
And they banned that absolute cunt of zeovgm, it's a fucking miracle.

This would be a good day to play the lottery or bingo.

The seething is wonderful

Sexist and racist. You really picked a winner of a developer to partner with, Sony.

Embarrassing on every level.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Titanic is an R.
RoboCop is a "hard R."

It's a movie thing but in the west it's also about describing how certain people say the N-Word.

This game is getting a lot of free publicity these days with all the edginess. XD

In America, not "the west". I'd never heard it before today (Swedish).

But this is clearly just an unfortunate confidence. It being there is no big deal unless you're looking for ways to be offended, and them removing it is also no big deal. Shrug.

Was just about to buy this, I’m glad I didn’t as I will never support censorship.

One of the attractive things about this game was that it seamed to go against the trend of bending the knee to the woke mob, I guess that’s not the case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more things get censored post release similar to tomb raider.
Sony is publishing this yes, there is no reality where they would not remove it.

clem84

Gold Member
Now you've gone too far!

We weren't updating our games 20 years ago.
You're intentionally missing the point here. It's just not something that would be seen as problematic back then. If someone would've noticed it during development, they would have shrugged it off... most likely.

rm082e

Since "Hard R" makes people say the N-word in their mind, and that's offensive, does that mean we also need to ban "the N-word" as well?

(Yes, this is just the Louis C.K. bit.)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is one of those "If no one said or reported anything, no one would have even noticed." kind of things. Barbara Streisand effect? I would have been too focused on that booty to notice anything else.

Or it's one of those "Oh shit, its reviewing and being received better than we expected. Time to really go out of our way to continue to smear it in the most ridiculous ways possible."

killatopak

Unfortunate. I doubt Koreans intentionally did this.

For some reason everybody just seems out for blood for Stellar Blade. I try to avoid reading anything about it outside gaf but it just sucks ass when it does reach here.

Top Bottom