• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Evolution of Assassin's Creed

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
SX0FsgC.jpg

iorek21

AC Origins style should’ve been kept exclusive to the said title. It made sense to be the way it was seeing that Egypt is a place of exploration and mystery.

Odyssey and Valhalla’s settings got none of that. Greece was all about “muh dEMoCrAcY” and mythology, whilst England will be “hurr durr viking gud people”, “IS THAT A MOTHERFUCKING WITCHER REFERENCE” and overall a Last Kingdom/Vikings copycat.

Assassin’s Creed should keep to the streamlined open-world focused on stealth/story formula that made its name

Rikkori

It's always funny to see so many forum goers hate on the new formula even though more people than ever love it & buy it.

I say keep at it. Origins & Odyssey were dream games I never thought would get made. I wished for them ever since I was wasting all my youth's summers with Age of Mythology and imaging what a 3rd person game in that world would be like. In a way that came early with Warcraft -> WoW, but I wanted the mythology teams and historical background. Happy to say Ubisoft more than delivered!

Keep going Ubi, you got this. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Zeypher

They should ditch the modern story-line and just go full fantasy. For odyssey I found the modern story-line to actively ruin the game.

Man what happened to Ubisoft? I want ps3 Ubisoft back. They used to make treasures. Now I don’t know if they are even capable of making games as good as ac2 or chaos theory.I’ve sunk more money into them this gen purely based on fun I had last gen. Disappointment after disappointment.

Tschumi

I respect some of the more recent AC titles to a point, but my overridingly memorable experience of AC was a time in the early 10s when i completed 1, 2 and brotherhood ((edit: maybe revelations too?)) (if i remember rightly) in a row on my.. Xbox 360... That was a special time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andodalf

Banned
AC Origins style should’ve been kept exclusive to the said title. It made sense to be the way it was seeing that Egypt is a place of exploration and mystery.

Odyssey and Valhalla’s settings got none of that. Greece was all about “muh dEMoCrAcY” and mythology, whilst England will be “hurr durr viking gud people”, “IS THAT A MOTHERFUCKING WITCHER REFERENCE” and overall a Last Kingdom/Vikings copycat.

Assassin’s Creed should keep to the streamlined open-world focused on stealth/story formula that made its name

Dude you got to play Valhalla early????? How???

I respect some of the more recent AC titles to a point, but my overridingly memorable experience of AC was a time in the early 10s when i completed 1, 2 and brotherhood ((edit: maybe revelations too?)) (if i remember rightly) in a row on my.. Xbox 360... That was a special time.
Carnival in Rome dawg? Idk if they can recreate that lol fun times

Last three ACs counting Valhalla. All they’ve done is made a worse version of Witcher 3. 3 separate games and they still couldn’t reach that goal. Smh

tsumake

I’ve only played through the first AC. Being a big fan of PoP, I wanted more of that platforming goodness (AC started off as a PoP sequel). I liked the initial moral ambiguity of the Templars, until the story forced a Templars Good, Assassins Good dichotomy at the end. I tried AC2 but I couldn’t get into the story because I found the writing to be snarky.

I’d like to jump back in but I’m a stickler for following through the story. I feel it’s a little daunting now, like jumping into Doctor Who. I know the first games up to 3 (maybe 4) are considered to be a contained story, but what about after that?

Also, is it still about platforming and stealth or is it really a Witcher clone?

Nico_D

I just finished Unity for the first time like a week ago. It's a shame they changed it all after that, I think Unity was everything AC is about, minus the modern day story but that has always been the worst part of the series anyway.

I wish they would have put together and refined what they had in Brotherhood and Unity. I can't say I've been enjoying these new games with super powers and level gating.

Andodalf

Banned
Leaked gameplay and dev interviews already showed that

If you can glean enough to make a full review from one mission in VHS quality from a rough state of development, I think you probably went in with some pre conceived notions

Last edited:
I just finished Unity for the first time like a week ago. It's a shame they changed it all after that, I think Unity was everything AC is about, minus the modern day story but that has always been the worst part of the series anyway.

I wish they would have put together and refined what they had in Brotherhood and Unity. I can't say I've been enjoying these new games with super powers and level gating.
But Unity literally removed modern day from its gameplay

Playing Unity was like sitting through a high quality TV series. Will never forgive Ubi for rushing the game. The gameplay is awesome

iorek21

If you can glean enough to make a full review from one mission in VHS quality from a rough state of development, I think you probably went in with some pre conceived notions

And? My criticism was towards the setting and overall tone of Vallhalla, being alpha footage or release footage won't really matter

Andodalf

Banned
And? My criticism was towards the setting and overall tone of Vallhalla, being alpha footage or release footage won't really matter

Basing setting and ton of a 100 hour game on a mission that should take 15 missions is insane.

By that logic I could say that cyberpunk has a shit setting, it's just a crappy open world racing game and the cars don't even seem to handle well.

Nico_D

The gameplay is awesome

It really was. Stealth had the best parts of Brotherhood and rifts, which gave you an opportunity to see Paris in different timr were a really good idea. Shame only that the rifts were basically collectibles.

I like AC far more like this than Origins/Odyssey. Those both had a pretty good main character but the gameplay felt too far removed from what it used to be.

Lol the stealth and story always sucked.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I have been extremely pleased with Assassin's Creed this generation. Started the franchise with Black Flag (9.5/10) and loved it. Still my favorite AC game. Completed Unity (7.0/10) and it was good but coming off of Black Flag, so disappointing. Syndicate was great (8.0/10) and I really enjoyed it after Unity. Origins and Odyssey were both excellent (9.0/10) for me and I can't wait for Valhalla. Expecting another easy 9.0/10 for me.

Wish it was November already. Oh well. Will be here soon enough. And tomorrow, UBISOFT FORWARD BABY!!! Let's go, let's go!!!

My evolution with Assassin's Creed:

Played a few hours of the first one and realized that it was one of the worst games I'd ever played. Never played another one. I'm sure they've improved, but I'll probably never know.

diffusionx

Gold Member
"Evolution"

I went back and played Brotherhood a few months ago. The game has lots of problems but it honestly feels like a more advanced game than Odyssey. The older games also made attempts to marry the lore of the game and the history of the setting to the actual gameplay, as opposed to using these amazing places as window dressing.

Last edited:

knguyen

Unless there's nothing else to play. One should never pay full price for any ubisoft game. They have been copy and paste the hell out of their games. $80 of hard earned money for a game like assassin's creed valhalla is a very bad decision IMO.

T-Cake

Really looking forward to playing every single one of these on XBox Series X. I hope it has built in Twitch streaming to show it all off.

Top Bottom