• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm a republican, I'm a CEO, I'm a small biz owner, I'm a soldier... I'm voting kerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, TPO knows that this board has a pretty large number of anti-Bush advocates. He knows that posting any type of reasoning on why he thinks Bush is a good candidate to be re-elected is going to erupt in a large amount of people dissecting his post in every way trying to show that his reasoning is unsound. Not only that, but then he would have to defend his posts from said attacks and the cycle would continue to a point where he'd probably stop responding anyways because there are would just be too many people willing to tear his opinions apart. I've read multiple threads dealing with these types of discussions on this board to know exactly what will happen. Now, maybe stating your opinion without expressing why you believe said opinion isn't the best action to take on a message board, but the only reasons he's being questioned on his opinion on the first place is because he is an advocate of Bush. If he just replied with a, "Bush sucks my big fat hairy cock", I'm sure noone would be asking why he made such a statement in the first place.

Zaptruder

Banned
cvkpaladin said:
Thing is, TPO knows that this board has a pretty large number of anti-Bush advocates. He knows that posting any type of reasoning on why he thinks Bush is a good candidate to be re-elected is going to erupt in a large amount of people dissecting his post in every way trying to show that his reasoning is unsound. Not only that, but then he would have to defend his posts from said attacks and the cycle would continue to a point where he'd probably stop responding anyways because there are would just be too many people willing to tear his opinions apart. I've read multiple threads dealing with these types of discussions on this board to know exactly what will happen. Now, maybe stating your opinion without expressing why you believe said opinion isn't the best action to take on a message board, but the only reasons he's being questioned on his opinion on the first place is because he is an advocate of Bush. If he just replied with a, "Bush sucks my big fat hairy cock", I'm sure noone would be asking why he made such a statement in the first place.

Because that would be patently inefficient.

firex

I'm not sure about that. I think it's more that he can't resist the cheap shot, then doesn't want to respond to the counter-attacks.

Quite frankly, I am open to well-reasoned, intelligent conservatism. The vast majority of the forum's conservatives (at least the more open ones) completely go against this, though.

If it's because they feel arguing on the internet is pointless; well, what forum posting on the internet ISN'T pointless? Debating your political viewpoint is no more a waste of a post than every single "IAWTP" post or arguing over which game you like/hate.

The frequent attacks, insults, and general trollish behavior of the forum's more outspoken conservatives is annoying. Annoying behavior tends to get people banned. As a suggestion to the forum conservatives: Spend more time defending Bush, and less time attacking the forum's liberals.

I really feel something needs to be done about all the politics ruining what could be otherwise good forum discussions. If it gets any worse as the election draws closer, I don't think people will be able to have a post about music, movies, sports, etc. without those threads also becoming political battlegrounds. Then again, I haven't posted here in an election year, so who knows.

cvkpaladin said:

Pretty much. But also, the amount of time that it would take to defend a 20 to 1 "discussion", is something that I'm not willing to do since it would be pointless, because as you said, the majority of people in here wouldn't have a problem with me saying "Bush sucks my big fat hairy cock".

firex said:
If it's because they feel arguing on the internet is pointless; well, what forum posting on the internet ISN'T pointless? Debating your political viewpoint is no more a waste of a post than every single "IAWTP" post or arguing over which game you like/hate.

True. I'm not saying that he should be excused because he figures that it is pointless to post his reasonings; its just that I understand where he is coming from as to why he won't post them.

firex said:
The frequent attacks, insults, and general trollish behavior of the forum's more outspoken conservatives is annoying. Annoying behavior tends to get people banned. As a suggestion to the forum conservatives: Spend more time defending Bush, and less time attacking the forum's liberals.

Oh, I completely agree with that. I don't think its right for someone to attack another person when they fail to bring out any thoughtful claims to back-up what they believe. What I was saying is that sometimes its hard to back up your claims with a well-thought out response when you know that you're going to get mobbed as soon as you post them. Its more of a feeling of, "why bother?"

firex said:
I really feel something needs to be done about all the politics ruining what could be otherwise good forum discussions. If it gets any worse as the election draws closer, I don't think people will be able to have a post about music, movies, sports, etc. without those threads also becoming political battlegrounds. Then again, I haven't posted here in an election year, so who knows.

This is true too. Politics and religion are subjects I think bring out too much emotion sometimes. I know how heated these types of discussions can get. And I think that one line posts that are just trying to incite flamewars should not be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom