• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm bored this summer. I need some good anime. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inarius

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
I've seen all of Tri-Gun, Hellsing, Dragonball Z, Ghost in the Shell, and most of Gungrave. I know these are very mainstream animes, and I really like the hack and slash animes and Hellsing was one of my favorites. I'm not really into the whole robot/mech kinda stuff, but I would definitely take time to see them. I really enjoy the samurai type stuff. I have all of Berserk on my computer, but I haven't watched it yet. Please give me any ideas on what animes I might enjoy AND find on bit torrent.

*Please no Sailor Moon*

Trevelyon

onepiece%20001.jpg

All you need.

NotMSRP

Great long series:
One Piece (currently 102 fansub eps)
Naruto (currently 92 fansub eps)
Hunter x Hunter (currently 88 fansub eps)

GDGF

Soothsayer
If you like giant robots, go find Giant Robo.

If you want a good laugh about anime culture (and want to see a tongue-in-cheek tale of how Gainax, the makers of Evangelion started up) go find Otaku no Video.

=W=

I have to give a +1 for One Piece

and a -1 for Hikaru no Go - one of the most horrible animes I've ever seen. The premise and game itself were decent enough, but the characters were lame and the show was completely boring and melodramatic (which can be said for many animes that I've enjoyed before, but this being the worst offender, by far).
At the second tournament when Hikaru plays Akira for the first time as himself, and then they all lose and everybody starts crying, I laughed at first, then I got angry and wanted to punch the screen because of how stupid how utterly ridiculous it was.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
dem said:
[zips up flame suit]

Go and do something other than watch anime all summer?

[runs]
IAWTP. Don't waste your summers watching japanese cartoons [/runs alongside dem]

Chrono

Banned
ONE PIECE!!!

Naruto

Hikaru no Go

Monster

Full Metal Alchemist

Cowboy Bebop

Fruits Basket

Now and Then, Here and There

The last three are out on DVD. :)

Belfast

I'm just going to have to disagree. HnG a little melodramatic? Maybe. But they pretty much tell you what Go is about and, yes, quite simply, it serves as a metaphor for something a bit more human than a board game. Besides, you also have to understand who seriously Go is taken in Asia and that goes a long way to making it more important. That, plus the "if you're not good, you're dishonoring your family/school/etc." kind of mentality, and well, there you go. But seriously, I don't see how you can think the characters are lame, because HnG seriously has some of the BEST character development/growth I've ever seen. I mean, Go is interesting and all, but this anime would've failed from the get-go if the characters weren't top-notch.

Chrono

Banned
bjork said:
When you watch One Piece, you need to go into it knowing that Sanji is the best character ever. :)

Sanji is Nami's pussy-whipped bitch.

Chopper >> Sanji.

he's more useful as he's the doctor AND he can wipe the floor with Sanji in a fight. :p

J2 Cool

Watch Berserk now! The first episode is far different from what follows though so watch a few episodes and see how you like it. It only gets better and better. My favorite anime ever. Other than that, watch Cowboy Bebop. Episode 5 is one of the best. At least watch up until that. Amazing series. Samurai Champloo is great too

Chrono

Banned
I'd also like to add Hajime no Ippo.

It's licensed, but since you're asking for anime recommendations I doubt you're really into anime enought to buy the 12-16 DVDs that will make up the (75-episode) series anyway.

(note to miyuro: yes it's still wrong. :p)

bjork

Chrono said:
Sanji is Nami's pussy-whipped bitch.

Chopper >> Sanji.

he's more useful as he's the doctor AND he can wipe the floor with Sanji in a fight. :p

Sanji knows how to treat the ladies. He's also the best dresser, is useful to the crew (he cooks), and can kick huge amounts of ass in fights.

And he doesn't train. Every time you see that lazy whore Zoro, he's training or sleeping. Sanji's busy cooking and stuff, and he can hang with Zoro in terms of fighting ability.

Sanji = <3

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
There are many to recommend...but I'll just tell you about my most recent favorite because I'm lazy:

I've been watching Hunter X Hunter lately, and it's surprisingly good and not at all as shallow and simple as I thought it would be. There's always something interesting happening in every episode, and it feels like it's almost completely free from fillers (with 2 or 3 exceptions). It does slow down a bit during the OVA's, but it's still a damn good series.

=W=

Kiriku said:
There are many to recommend...but I'll just tell you about my most recent favorite because I'm lazy:

I've been watching Hunter X Hunter lately, and it's surprisingly good and not at all as shallow and simple as I thought it would be. There's always something interesting happening in every episode, and it feels like it's almost completely free from fillers (with 2 or 3 exceptions). It does slow down a bit during the OVA's, but it's still a damn good series.
I've been wondering about this show. It gets a lot of recommendations but I can't seem to find a good place to get eps from. Any help?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
dem said:
[zips up flame suit]

Go and do something other than watch anime all summer?

[runs]
I know you're just trying to ignite some people, but I'll bite. You realize that people can fill their summers with jobs, friends, and hey, there's still free time because I'm working a part time job and my friends do to so hey I'll fill in some dull time with some anime. I fucking hate you people with your lame ass assumptions to my core.

Anyway, One Piece. Its fucking awesome. Of course I now have no more to watch, so I'm sad, but I've got Jungle ha Itsumo Hale nochi Guu to finish off, and that's another one I recommend. Its just 26 eps, but its great.
I'll need some smaller series to fill in the lack of OP time though.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
RevenantKioku said:
but I've got Jungle ha Itsumo Hale nochi Guu to finish off, and that's another one I recommend. Its just 26 eps, but its great.

Yes, only 26 eps IF you ignore Guu Deluxe. Which you shouldn't.

GG-Duo

Is the HxH anime still going, or has it ended?

The manga has been having a lot of hiccups in the last couple of months, but is starting to pick up again.

<--------

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Kiriku said:
Yes, only 26 eps IF you ignore Guu Deluxe. Which you shouldn't.
[attempts to save face]
Well, Guu Deluxe is technically another series..ehehe..yeah..uh..
Okay, I forgot it.

Mugen

Banned
=W= said:
I've been wondering about this show. It gets a lot of recommendations but I can't seem to find a good place to get eps from. Any help?

Your best bet is that site with the u know ;)

oh and you can also find it in irc.

RevenantKioku said:
[attempts to save face]
Well, Guu Deluxe is technically another series..ehehe..yeah..uh..
Okay, I forgot it.

Guu (26 episodes) directly leads into...
Guu Deluxe (12 episodes) which creates a single story twist that directly leads into...
Guu Deluxe Final (12 episodes? dunno)

Thankfully, the series has been licensed by AnimeNation, which has a short but solid release reputation.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
GG-Duo said:
Is the HxH anime still going, or has it ended?

The manga has been having a lot of hiccups in the last couple of months, but is starting to pick up again.

<--------
It's still going in OVA form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom