• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm New To The New Final Fantasy

I love Final Fantasy but the last one I played was probably Final Fantasy XIII-2. I've never played any of the MMO games or anything past the 13th installment.

From what I'm noticing about Final Fantasy now, it seems they favor lots of action as compared to turn based. Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XV seems to feature an all new type of gameplay.

So are they basically like Devil May Cry meets role playing? I know it looks like the remake has lots of action that would be more in style to DMC.

I love action melee games like DMC and I think mixing it with role playing sounds very interesting. Not having played any of these newer Final Fantasy games, do you think I would enjoy the way combat is involved? Are there any old school Final Fantasy fans here that don't like the direction it's going?

x1
In response to your last question, I'm an old school Final Fantasy fan and while I don't particularly enjoy direction the series is going I still enjoy the game.

That is pertaining to not just the action elements but streamlining of a lot of the more RPG components of the games. Final Fantasy to me never had massive depth or anything but it always had (to some extent whether it be jobs, EQ to learn skills) some flexibility in terms of character equipment or how you learn abilities and whatnot though it varied from game to game.

In terms of combat I think that the Remake recently released is a much better direction because it retains the party element and it feels more strategic to me to try to combine the value of three distinct members, though I don't have any problem with the way it's done in XVI. It's still fun it's just not what I would have wanted if I were asked.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Not having played any of these newer Final Fantasy games, do you think I would enjoy the way combat is involved? Are there any old school Final Fantasy fans here that don't like the direction it's going?

Most old school fans dont like the new action rpg feel and would prefer the turn based combat.

Modern Final Fantasy still have the turn based combat option but they happen in real time.

But i personally think the combination of turn based and real time action was a good decision, Dragon Age does the same thing and the gameplay is delicious.

Last edited:
In response to your last question, I'm an old school Final Fantasy fan and while I don't particularly enjoy direction the series is going I still enjoy the game.

That is pertaining to not just the action elements but streamlining of a lot of the more RPG components of the games. Final Fantasy to me never had massive depth or anything but it always had (to some extent whether it be jobs, EQ to learn skills) some flexibility in terms of character equipment or how you learn abilities and whatnot though it varied from game to game.

In terms of combat I think that the Remake recently released is a much better direction because it retains the party element and it feels more strategic to me to try to combine the value of three distinct members, though I don't have any problem with the way it's done in XVI. It's still fun it's just not what I would have wanted if I were asked.

Most old school fans dont like the new action rpg feel and would prefer the turn based combat.

Modern Final Fantasy still have the turn based combat option but they happen in real time.

But i personally think the combination of turn based and real time action was a good decision, Dragon Age does the same thing and the gameplay is delicious.
The thing is with me, I love Devil May Cry type of combat and mix that with role playing and I could really get into this.

I still like turn-based but I think this sounds a lot of fun the way they're going now. Sounds like I would enjoy it a lot. What about that new Crisis Core game? Does it play a lot like that too?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I love action melee games like DMC and I think mixing it with role playing sounds very interesting. Not having played any of these newer Final Fantasy games, do you think I would enjoy the way combat is involved? Are there any old school Final Fantasy fans here that don't like the direction it's going?

Yea, me. I would love a proper turn-based RPG. FFVI, IX, X, etc. just hit right. I really didn't like FF7R's combat system and I am baffled as to how it was so praised. FFXV was just random nonsense. I haven't played XVI yet but am willing to go into it with an open mind.

Yea, me. I would love a proper turn-based RPG. FFVI, IX, X, etc. just hit right. I really didn't like FF7R's combat system and I am baffled as to how it was so praised. FFXV was just random nonsense. I haven't played XVI yet but am willing to go into it with an open mind.
Oh I hear you and I definitely sympathize. My first Final Fantasy game was on the NES when it was just Final Fantasy.

I grew up on Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy and Ultima so have always been used to turn based gameplay. At the same time I do like DMC kind of action so that part of it has me interested.

I know one game I have in mind is Crisis Core Reunion for the Nintendo Switch. I certainly like to see what direction they're going in.

The thing is with me, I love Devil May Cry type of combat and mix that with role playing and I could really get into this.

I still like turn-based but I think this sounds a lot of fun the way they're going now. Sounds like I would enjoy it a lot. What about that new Crisis Core game? Does it play a lot like that too?
Personally I don't think it plays much like Crisis Core but they could be compared. Crisis Core is also a single character action driven game though it has some of the elements carried over from VII such as the way in which materia works. I actually liked Crisis Core when it came out and I still like it now but it is a little dated so keep that in mind if you go to play it it just depends on what your tolerance is for that kind of thing but I recommend it personally. The action tone of that game didn't bother me as much because it was a side story though in general I'm not a big fan of offshoots like Crisis Core, X-2, etc. I don't like expanded universe and think each FF should be contained and that's the end of that.

But as far as which one you might like better based on what you said I think you would like XVI. And I would also look to give Crisis Core a try if you can get it for a cheaper price maybe less than $20.

Last edited:
That's why I was looking at the new Crisis Core remake called Crisis Core Reunion. In fact I didn't even know that existed until recently.
I'll be honest in a lot of the dated aspects to which I refer still carry over in this remake/remaster / whatever it is.

Visually it has a better coat of paint but a lot of the animations are still somewhat stiff and the dialogue is reflective of it being a 15 plus year old handheld game give or take.

But the core gameplay loop I think is pretty fun.

So don't get me wrong I liked it I bought it just recently and enjoyed it all over again but like I say that depends on your tolerance for older games. I love older games so it's a no-brainer for me and easy for me to enjoy something like that. But I could see how someone might buy it pick it up and say WTF.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying the new game, but I feel if you strip it from every "RPG" element it would still be the same game.
I would still prefer 100% that the same budget that went into this game was spent into RPG gameplay mechanics. As of now they are borderline inexistent.

Examples:
  1. Weapons do not mean anything. They don't have custom abilities or anything they just have attached a number to them. Probably (haven't tested) you can just play with your initial weapon and mostly nothing would change other than the length of the fights
  2. Loot has no meaning either, every good upgrade or new crafting is gated to story transitions so you can easily fill up with items that don't do anything. Same as gil.
  3. Levels also don't mean a thing, they are mostly gated so that you cannot "over level" to get more powerful early on.

Etc, but you get the point. Just go with the mindset that this is a bare bones action game and you will enjoy it for what it is.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Speak for yourself. Many old school fans love the new direction just as many dislike it. There is no "most" on either side.

I am really enjoying the new game, but I feel if you strip it from every "RPG" element it would still be the same game.
I would still prefer 100% that the same budget that went into this game was spent into RPG gameplay mechanics. As of now they are borderline inexistent.

Examples:
  1. Weapons do not mean anything. They don't have custom abilities or anything they just have attached a number to them. Probably (haven't tested) you can just play with your initial weapon and mostly nothing would change other than the length of the fights
They rarely have ever meant much in most of the games. They have mostly been stat sticks throughout the franchise. Got a new weapon? You equipped it. This applies to spinoffs and other JRPGs as well. Rarely you got a weapon that would do something like increased damage to a particular enemy - but even when those kinds of weapons existed, you rarely used them because A.) They barely mattered given how limited that enemy type is and B.) They just outright didn't function correctly due to NES coding.

1. Loot has no meaning either, every good upgrade or new crafting is gated to story transitions so you can easily fill up with items that don't do anything. Same as gil.
Good loot can be acquired through exploration if you don't want to do side quests to unlock recipes for the strongest gear/weapons. Gil, much like previous entries, is used to buy potions and elixirs.

1. Levels also don't mean a thing, they are mostly gated so that you cannot "over level" to get more powerful early on.
This is absolutely true. Levels are essentially meaningless and you can, if you know how to use abiities, knock out an enemy 15-20 levels higher than you with little issue. This is what I did for a particular S Rank. That same S Rank in FF mode though (NG+) royally kicked my ass. I wish levels meant more. Or at least offered something like Kingdom Heart's AP system where you level up, you can choose a few bonuses out of a list of unlockable skills, like improved dashing, double dashes, half a second off of CD, etc. It would go a long way in improving the RPG feel of the game while keeping the focus on the action combat.

Etc, but you get the point. Just go with the mindset that this is a bare bones action game and you will enjoy it for what it is.
But yea, people should go into this expecting an RPG-Lite DMC game with an engrossing story and slow burn side quests that culminate in wonderful character moments and emotional payoffs. Even if those side quests do not hide the generic "Collect x, go to y, kill b" requirements.

Just try the demo, but the last Final Fantasy game that had turn-based gameplay was Final Fantasy X, in 2001.

This game has a mix of a lot of other games into it, Asura's Wrath, GOW 2018 and Ragnarok, DMC, Bayonetta, and a few more, it's more action-oriented.

If you want something more turn-based traditional, you can try Octopath Traveler II.

If you love the games described in your OP, you will love FF16, is a great game.

How is it in FFVII Remake? Is that also similar to DMC?
No, not like XVI is - the combat director of XVI worked on Devil May Cry 5.

The combat of Remake is really, really good though, a fantastic blend of JRPG and action - just not quite DMC style action. It might get close enough for what you are looking for though because there is a lot of movement and skill use.

Also, the combat of the Crisis Core remaster was redone from the original and is FFVII Remake-lite so to speak. More simple but still fun for what it is.

Rykan

This is exactly how I feel about the game. The RPG elements feel tacked on and, therefore, meaningless. Even if you remove them all, you still have a highly competent action game.

I dislike the direction this franchise has taken, not because I don't enjoy what it is; I think the game is fantastic. However, it has very little to do with Final Fantasy, as its main characteristics have either been removed or used as mere cameos.

If this had been an entirely new franchise or even a spin-off, it would have been great. Right now, it's a very enjoyable gaming experience that struggles to shake off the feeling that we've replaced something equally great, instead of simply embracing this new experience alongside it.

How is it in FFVII Remake? Is that also similar to DMC?
It is quite different. It is still action based combat, but it's more of a blend. This is how it works: You have a party of three, and you control one character at a time. While you fight and hit enemies, you build up a bar called ATB. Once your ATB bar is full, you can pause the combat, and you can select a typical RPG ability: A special attack, magic, item, ability, etc. You do the same for your party members, although their ATB builds up slower. You can switch to your party members at any time and take control of them. This will speed up their ATB, and since each character have a unique blend of attacks and magic (that you assign yourself), the game becomes this fun mix between action and strategy where you're constantly switching between your three party members, depending on the situation.

It is a lot of fun and my favorite combat system in the entire series and pretty much of any RPG.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is exactly how I feel about the game. The RPG elements feel tacked on and, therefore, meaningless. Even if you remove them all, you still have a highly competent action game.

I dislike the direction this franchise has taken, not because I don't enjoy what it is; I think the game is fantastic. However, it has very little to do with Final Fantasy, as its main characteristics have either been removed or used as mere cameos.

If this had been an entirely new franchise or even a spin-off, it would have been great. Right now, it's a very enjoyable gaming experience that struggles to shake off the feeling that we've replaced something equally great, instead of simply embracing this new experience alongside it.

It is quite different. It is still action based combat, but it's more of a blend. This is how it works: You have a party of three, and you control one character at a time. While you fight and hit enemies, you build up a bar called ATB. Once your ATB bar is full, you can pause the combat, and you can select a typical RPG ability: A special attack, magic, item, ability, etc. You do the same for your party members, although their ATB builds up slower. You can switch to your party members at any time and take control of them. This will speed up their ATB, and since each character have a unique blend of attacks and magic (that you assign yourself), the game becomes this fun mix between action and strategy where you're constantly switching between your three party members, depending on the situation.

It is a lot of fun and my favorite combat system in the entire series and pretty much of any RPG.

It has everything to do with Final Fantasy. Don't be silly.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They're Sonic the Hedgehog Clones, OP. That's why there's such backlash against the character action in certain corners of the internet against XVI - Because it's definitely not a timed platformer like literally the other seven games in the series (it's a noob mistake thinking there are sixteen games because it has the number 16 in it, they are 8, because Ultimecia broke the time continuum when she stole the Disorder Diamond from Yang in FFIII, it makes sense if you play them)

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Old school Final Fantasy person here…been with it heavy since FF1 on NES. I’m past having a conversation about this dumb shit at this point. I know you Dark. Stop trolling acting like you are making an educated thread. Shit is getting old with the 4x a day “not Final Fantasy” bullshit.

And y’all clowns still trying to disguise it as a legitimate thread. Get the fuck over it 😠

I know you Dark. Stop trolling acting like you are making an educated thread. Shit is getting old with the 4x a day “not Final Fantasy” bullshit.
Well, I can't say I recognize you and I don't know what you're talking about but I'm not trolling at all. It was a legitimate question and I think you really need to calm down and stop making accusations.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Well, I can't say I recognize you and I don't know what you're talking about but I'm not trolling at all. It was a legitimate question and I think you really need to calm down and stop making accusations.
You know what…this was actually my mistake. I apologize. There was another user about a year ago or so that legitimately just tried to come on all the rpg and jrpg threads and talk trash about any new releases just because. I stand corrected, and I’m sorry for coming at you. It def wasn’t you looking back into it further.

You know what…this was actually my mistake. I apologize. There was another user about a year ago or so that legitimately just tried to come on all the rpg and jrpg threads and talk trash about any new releases just because. I stand corrected, and I’m sorry for coming at you. It def wasn’t you looking back into it further.
No problem. I actually really appreciate the apology.

I've been around here since 2008 and one thing I try not to do is troll or insult people. I'm too old for that and I'm in good standing here and would like to keep it that way.

Again so, I appreciate the apology. That shows you're of good character. You'd be surprised how many people would not admit they're wrong.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
No problem. I actually really appreciate the apology.

I've been around here since 2008 and one thing I try not to do is troll or insult people. I'm too old for that and I'm in good standing here and would like to keep it that way.

Again so, I appreciate the apology. That shows you're of good character. You'd be surprised how many people would not admit they're wrong.
For sure! I’m mature enough (kind of lol) to admit a mistake. And I know how many folks on here won’t admit they are wrong or made a mistake…it’s a cesspool truthfully. That’s why I keep coming back, keeps the conversation interesting at least!

Popup

I was a long time fan of FF, but have found myself going off them as they moved away from turn based. I'm happy the new games are finding a new audience, I just wish they had started a different series for this new direction. It was Persona 5 that finally showed me what we could have been getting with the newer FF's

(...) Are there any old school Final Fantasy fans here that don't like the direction it's going?
I haven't since XIII and what's being coming after. FFXV, and by extension FFXVI, was way too much of a radical change in its foundation. I was already sceptical how the mainline series would fare after FFX and Sakaguchi's departure.

I have nothing against the aesthetics and language in the FFXVI, but I largely echo this sentiment.

But, hey, if some people enjoy it that then that's good for them though.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
FF16 kicks ass. We need more games like it - games that evolve their respective genres and prevent it from going stale, but also staying true to those classic principles that used to make video games so awesome back in the golden years of the medium.

As a long time Final Fantasy fan, I love gameplay in FF12 and FF7R. Don't like 15. Don't know about 16 cause haven't played it.

That said, only 16's combat can be called DMC with RPG elements. Others are RPGs cause your actions don't have 1:1 response on screen, there is a math going on behind the scenes.

That video is so good, they went all in for the conclusion with the FF anthem, beautiful

Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura if you are into DMC, FFXVI is a must buy

I would also recommend VIIR, it has one of the best battle system IMO
Okay that is awesome to hear. I would love to play a Final Fantasy game that has combat like DMC. But is the combat a little bit similar to that in Final Fantasy VII Remake? Because not one probably interests me a little more than FFXVI.

You don’t own a PS5 at the moment?
Unfortunately not at this time.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My first was 7 remake ps5. Then xv. Then 7 original but only Midgar since I stopped before 16.
I fell in love at first sight. I even think xv is amazing. 7 remake is so incredible. I remember 7 as it released when I was a kid but never played it.
16 now is blowing my mind.
Crazy I always avoided ff. I gotta get through some games!

Top Bottom