• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Im too soft

OneBigPuss

One homeless guy asked me if i can buy him something to eat and i did.I just grabbed few buns and sliced cheese from the market.He was very grateful but i don't think he noticed that i didn't drove off and was still sitting in my car because i had to check few emails.He went behind the market and he came back like 2 minutes later without the food right to his begging spot.I checked where he went and i saw half of the bun and like half of the pack of cheese on the ground between two cars.Motherfucker just wasted food probably because i didnt give him money for booze (but he didn't ask for money just that if i can buy him some food).Red flags were all around but im just a fucking retard apparently.He was fat and had this gay purse like Galifianakis in The Hangover and he said in sweet voice "im homeless".Fuck it next motherfucker that will come to my car and will ask for food will get headbutt.He probably gets more money from begging than me from working anyway.Someone had similar experience?

Pejo

Gold Member
It's funny, I moved from a place with nearly no homeless people (Rural Northeast) to California. I was totally bamboozled and soft on the homeless for like the first year I moved here, even went out and joined a group that assisted them in the city and provided life necessities and a path for them to get back on their feet. Nothing will turn you off to the plights of homeless people like helping homeless people.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Agreed, bums usually only want cash for their next high. There's a program in my area (Denver) that I donate to which provides meals, a bed, training, and job placement. But you know why it's never full? They require people to be sober. This place also used to hand out meal tickets. I tried giving a few bums some of those coupons for a free meal and they actually tore them up in front of me, got angry and demanded money. That might have been the exception, but it was the last time I bothered to interact with those people.

Denver is becoming San Fran or Seattle when it comes to bums. And of course the local news has started referring to them as "those experiencing homelessness" because political correctness.

Oh, and spacebar after a period is not just common courtesy, it's the law.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
One homeless guy asked me if i can buy him something to eat and i did.I just grabbed few buns and sliced cheese from the market.He was very grateful but i don't think he noticed that i didn't drove off and was still sitting in my car because i had to check few emails.He went behind the market and he came back like 2 minutes later without the food right to his begging spot.I checked where he went and i saw half of the bun and like half of the pack of cheese on the ground between two cars.Motherfucker just wasted food probably because i didnt give him money for booze (but he didn't ask for money just that if i can buy him some food).Red flags were all around but im just a fucking retard apparently.He was fat and had this gay purse like Galifianakis in The Hangover and he said in sweet voice "im homeless".Fuck it next motherfucker that will come to my car and will ask for food will get headbutt.He probably gets more money from begging than me from working anyway.Someone had similar experience?
About 11-years ago I saw this guy peddling "homeless...hungry...need money." Ironically, he did all this outside a row of fast food chains. I bought him some Taco Bell and McDonalds. When I gave him the food and not the booze money he scoffed and said, "I can't eat that stuff...gives me diarrhea." Live and learn. They're hungry but not for food but it will be on the sign. Also saw a "homeless guy" peddling and went back to check his phone at his car far off; came back and picked up his sign. This was like a newer Chevy Colorado.

T8SC

Gold Member
6f6.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I honestly give them a lil change when it’s available not an insult to the homeless

GAMETA

Banned
You did nothing wrong, man. I never give money to beggars but I have given them food...

What they'll do with it is their problem, they'll be the ones reaping what they sowed.

Mossybrew

Bread and cheese? You from the depression or something. Holy fuck. Buy the man some real food next time.

Yeah I thought that was pretty funny, his go-to to feed a stranger is a pack of buns and what was surely a generic package of american processed sliced dairy product "cheese" - who wouldn't be grateful?

Banned
Bread and cheese? You from the depression or something. Holy fuck. Buy the man some real food next time.

I thought that was funny as well. At least go with bread and sliced meat or a cheap already made sandwich.

epicnemesis

It’s unfortunately why I almost always say no to hobos. The only ones I actually get stuff for are the ones hanging out in the front of a drive thru. If you are begging at the end of a drive thru I know what you are really after. No one is dumb enough to ask for food AFTER the person has already ordered. They want money and they want it to look like they want food.

It sucks because I would love to help these people get back on their feet.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I live in New York City and when I was a teenager, I'd often give money to pan-handlers. However, I wised up and realized that most of them are swindlers.

Most of them live in New York City shelters and therefore have access to food and other resources that they need; however, they choose to panhandle during the day rather than search for employment or fulfill whatever obligations that are required in exchange for their stay at the shelters.

As for the ones that don't live in shelters, they are aware of the shelters but choose to live on the streets and panhandle.

There was a man whom I was aware lived in a shelter and would literally rub dirt on himself and panhandle in the subway.

Hence, I don't give money to homeless people anymore, apart from a couple of months ago in order to see if the homeless person would use the money as he stated he would. I gave him a dollar because he said that he needed it to get coffee; I watched him enter a McDonald's and I then crossed the street and entered a subway station but quickly came back out; I saw him come out of the McDonald's without coffee.

Some things don't change.

99% of the time homeless people are either drug addicts or mentally ill drug addicts. These are people lost beyond help, and there's nothing you can do to integrate them back into being normal functioning people, no matter how hard you try. Maybe 1 out of a thousand might bounce back, but often if they're on the streets it's a lost cause.

I stopped paying attention to them because when I have given food, they get upset because they want money. Or I would see them THROW AWAY THE FOOD.

When I gave them money, they would COMPLAIN to me that it's not enough.

Unfortunately you're not going to save the world, so let nature take its course.

Last edited:

Ikutachi

Hence, I don't give money to homeless people anymore, apart from a couple of months ago in order to see if the homeless person would use the money as he stated he would. I gave him a dollar because he said that he needed it to get coffee; I watched him enter a McDonald's and I then crossed the street and entered a subway station but quickly came back out; I saw him come out of the McDonald's without coffee.
He could not pay for the tax.

Romulus

My trick is simple, as soon as they start to ask me for money I interrupt them and ask them for money. "You got a dollar man?" I only do that the guys that overextend themselves though and walk up on me.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Agreed, bums usually only want cash for their next high. There's a program in my area (Denver) that I donate to which provides meals, a bed, training, and job placement. But you know why it's never full? They require people to be sober. This place also used to hand out meal tickets. I tried giving a few bums some of those coupons for a free meal and they actually tore them up in front of me, got angry and demanded money. That might have been the exception, but it was the last time I bothered to interact with those people.

Denver is becoming San Fran or Seattle when it comes to bums. And of course the local news has started referring to them as "those experiencing homelessness" because political correctness.

Oh, and spacebar after a period is not just common courtesy, it's the law.

LOL @ how you unapologetically call them "bums."

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I was in a CA hippy beach town and some high as a kite fat hippy was walking the street asking for change. She asked me more than once, then when she asked my bleeding heart teenage daughter I lost it. I said "Please don't ask my child for money, you already ask me more than once, get lost". She mumbled some shit and stammered off. I had to explain to my daughter that this woman is not hungry, she is fat. She wants money for drugs/booze and you should never encourage beggars, it just teaches them that it works. If they need food, hit a food bank or other charites.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I know the line is kinda blurry between panhandlers and street performers but I'll give the latter money far more often because at least I was entertained.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It’s unfortunately why I almost always say no to hobos. The only ones I actually get stuff for are the ones hanging out in the front of a drive thru. If you are begging at the end of a drive thru I know what you are really after. No one is dumb enough to ask for food AFTER the person has already ordered. They want money and they want it to look like they want food.

It sucks because I would love to help these people get back on their feet.
Most bums (>95%) are absolutely irredeemable. There is no hope for them, they are essentially the living dead.

I guess everybody needs to learn that the hard way.

OneBigPuss

But what do you do if a beggar tells you "I'll be honest with you, I need money for booze".
Had one situation like this last year. I was packing my groceries inside my car and dude approached me and said "Hey man. I wanted to buy a beer but im missing like a dollar. Can you help me with that?" and i did. He was chill and normal about it and i saw him in the store few minutes before that. He probably was checking prices and then went outside. No bullshit, straight to the point.
Edit: Thinking about it now i don't think he was homeless. It was just an older guy with broken hand. Maybe that's why he was honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom