• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Im too soft

manfestival

These are good lessons and life experiences. I think we all need to experience something like this to some degree to have our eyes opened. No need to become hardened by it but it is good to be informed through it.

QSD

One homeless guy asked me if i can buy him something to eat and i did.I just grabbed few buns and sliced cheese from the market.He was very grateful but i don't think he noticed that i didn't drove off and was still sitting in my car because i had to check few emails.He went behind the market and he came back like 2 minutes later without the food right to his begging spot.I checked where he went and i saw half of the bun and like half of the pack of cheese on the ground between two cars.Motherfucker just wasted food probably because i didnt give him money for booze (but he didn't ask for money just that if i can buy him some food).Red flags were all around but im just a fucking retard apparently.He was fat and had this gay purse like Galifianakis in The Hangover and he said in sweet voice "im homeless".Fuck it next motherfucker that will come to my car and will ask for food will get headbutt.He probably gets more money from begging than me from working anyway.Someone had similar experience?

Don't beat yourself up about it man ... it still beats being a completely cynical bastard. Also, LOL no at that last remark, being homeless is not that lucrative. I work with a lot of ex-homeless people. There are a couple of common threads: mental illness, lack of impulse control and lower-than-average intelligence being the most important ones. If a guy like in your story was actually well, he would not repay your kindness with indifference.

OneBigPuss

Don't beat yourself up about it man ... it still beats being a completely cynical bastard. Also, LOL no at that last remark, being homeless is not that lucrative. I work with a lot of ex-homeless people. There are a couple of common threads: mental illness, lack of impulse control and lower-than-average intelligence being the most important ones. If a guy like in your story was actually well, he would not repay your kindness with indifference.
It was more of a joke. I think he wasn't homeless. He was just a con artist.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yea, I just feel horrible for the 5% I’ve given up looking for.

Even for those 5%, giving them a few bucks isn't going to change their lives.

There's just no point to give a bum money, ever. There are resources to help those who actually do want to change their lives, but there aren't many.

notseqi

I prefer being asked directly, better if it's actual items they need. I deny carrying cash then ask what they need.
There were a lot of african immigrants in Italy standing in front of supermarkets, went up to them and asked what they needed and got that with a little extra, sweets/candy n shit. I knew they were poor and often ashamed.

Wouldn't be happy if they had thrown stuff away, but it's not mine anymore. Thankfully I never saw such a thing.

TindalosPup

In the city I grew up we had panhandlers who asked for money for booze and money for weed on two separate occasions. It was a strange phenomenon how many people appreciated the honesty; the booze guy got a spot on the local news and the weed guy got a good sized bag for free.

Top Bottom