• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm worried I might have COVID-19

Shantae

Banned
For the past 24 hours, I've been noticing I've had chills and been having aches and pains through my muscles. It's hard to say, because when I too my temperature earlier, it was only 97.5 degrees, yet I still feel cold. Normally I'm sweating my ass off in this house, even with the AC on. I don't know for sure, because I think I fucked up by cleaning my thermometer water that was too warm, and now it won't cool off. Giving it some time now.

I've been hoping I would get by this whole situation unscathed because I live with my disabled father whose at high risk for COVID, and if I get it, I don't know to avoid giving it to him.

I work in a hospital, and know how serious COVID is from seeing it what it can do to people, especially in dad's age demographic. This just makes me even more pissed off because only about 20% of people I see in my area are ever wearing masks. These idiots are only thinking "I don't care if I get sick" when it's not about them! Wearing a mask protects others around you, but no one gives a shit.

I really hope I don't have it, and maybe it's just a small case of the flu, but how likely is that with what's going on.

Stouffers

Banned
For the past 24 hours, I've been noticing I've had chills and been having aches and pains through my muscles. It's hard to say, because when I too my temperature earlier, it was only 97.5 degrees, yet I still feel cold. Normally I'm sweating my ass off in this house, even with the AC on. I don't know for sure, because I think I fucked up by cleaning my thermometer water that was too warm, and now it won't cool off. Giving it some time now.

I've been hoping I would get by this whole situation unscathed because I live with my disabled father whose at high risk for COVID, and if I get it, I don't know to avoid giving it to him.

I work in a hospital, and know how serious COVID is from seeing it what it can do to people, especially in dad's age demographic. This just makes me even more pissed off because only about 20% of people I see in my area are ever wearing masks. These idiots are only thinking "I don't care if I get sick" when it's not about them! Wearing a mask protects others around you, but no one gives a shit.

I really hope I don't have it, and maybe it's just a small case of the flu, but how likely is that with what's going on.
Well, flu and other ailments didn’t just go away. It could be any number of things.

Shantae

Banned
How do your lungs feel and can you hold your breath for 30 seconds without it hurting?
At the moment yes, but I do feel like my aches are getting worse. I'm also way more fatigued than usual. I slept 8 hours last night, and today I slept for another 2 in the middle of the day, and I could easily do more if I laid down again.
Well, flu and other ailments didn’t just go away. It could be any number of things.
I know, and I REALLY hope that's all it is. It's hard to know that though unless I get tested.

Shantae

Banned
Theres a very good chance i have covid(haven't seen my test results yet) and my symptons are
fever
coughing
shortness of breath
back pain
loss of smell/taste

Were you experiencing anything like that, OP? You should get tested ASAP. Covid sucks. :(
I would, but with the weekend, I can't reach anybody to get tested at the moment. I'm gonna just keep an eye on my temperature.

I hope you are alright, stay safe :messenger_crying:

Breathing exercises are a good tell if you have it. Take a deep breath through your mouth, hold it in for 5 seconds and exhale. If you can't hold it in without coughing or your chest hurting then you probably have it.

REE Machine

Banned
At the moment yes, but I do feel like my aches are getting worse. I'm also way more fatigued than usual. I slept 8 hours last night, and today I slept for another 2 in the middle of the day, and I could easily do more if I laid down again.

I know, and I REALLY hope that's all it is. It's hard to know that though unless I get tested.
If you do have it, tylonol or advil for fevers whatever works, keep hydrated and look up breathing exercises and keep active/moving. Im not saying go exercise i mean walk around the house, breathe in slow and out slow and look up some breathing exercises to keep your lungs and core engaged so its doesnt get worse and spread more than it needs to, keep your body engaged

The minute you feel you no longer you can handle it and breathe properly without gasping for aor call and ambulance and they may put you on a ventilator to cause less stress on your body.

Shantae

Banned
Breathing exercises are a good tell if you have it. Take a deep breath through your mouth, hold it in for 5 seconds and exhale. If you can't hold it in without coughing or your chest hurting then you probably have it.
If you do have it, tylonol or advil for fevers whatever works, keep hydrated and look up breathing exercises and keep active/moving. Im not saying go exercise i mean walk around the house, breathe in slow and out slow and look up some breathing exercises to keep your lungs and core engaged so its doesnt get worse and spread more than it needs to, keep your body engaged

The minute you feel you no longer you can handle it and breathe properly without gasping for aor call and ambulance and they may put you on a ventilator to cause less stress on your body.
Thank you! I didn't know about this. I may work in a hospital, but not in a medical field ^_^

REE Machine

Banned
Thank you! I didn't know about this. I may work in a hospital, but not in a medical field ^_^
If your young and generally healthy you'll be fine. Just remember with this illness dont stop moving and keep doing breathing exercises. It may hurt like hell, you'll porbably be sweating bullets and may only get 2-3 hours of sleep at night due to high fever but remember to move and breathe and then rest when you can, also stay hydrated.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The OP has me on ignore so can someone else pass this on to him?

When I had it, the first symptoms I felt were aches and pain in my sinuses. Followed by a fever, cough, runny nose, and finally my sense of taste and smell being messed up. The latter of which were the ones that lingered the longest . If you start to feel any of those, please get tested immediately.

If your young and generally healthy you'll be fine. Just remember with this illness dont stop moving and keep doing breathing exercises. It may hurt like hell, you'll porbably be sweating bullets and may only get 2-3 hours of sleep at night due to high fever but remember to move and breathe and then rest when you can, also stay hydrated.

I had it back in late April but the worst of it was chest pains with some flash fevers. It was like having flash sweats. Worst part was the chest pains. Felt like the time I broke one of my ribs at work.

REE Machine

Banned
I had it back in late April but the worst of it was chest pains with some flash fevers. It was like having flash sweats. Worst part was the chest pains. Felt like the time I broke one of my ribs at work.
Yep that's thee importance of testing and if you know you have it early on take a shit ton of medicine for th rflash fevers because itll hit you hard and that is what drains you minus the pain, that why you need to do those exercises and early so the lungs dont flare up to much

When I had it, the first symptoms I felt were aches and pain in my sinuses. Followed by a fever, cough, runny nose, and finally my sense of taste and smell being messed up. The latter of which were the ones that lingered the longest . If you start to feel any of those, please get tested immediately.

Testing sites and labs are closed on the weekend though in most places.

Shantae

Banned

I saw it, thanks for the info my fellow gaffer.

Is there any vomiting associated with this thing? One thing I HATE when I get the flu, is I get uncontrollable vomiting sometimes, and I really don't want that to happen.

HarryKS

You sure it wasn't pneumonia? I had the same thing 2 weeks ago and couldn't move or sleep. Whole ribcage felt like it was tearing apart and couldn't breathe properly. Didn't get tested for COVID but the scans showed my lungs were damaged.

TaySan

Banned
I saw it, thanks for the info my fellow gaffer.

Is there any vomiting associated with this thing? One thing I HATE when I get the flu, is I get uncontrollable vomiting sometimes, and I really don't want that to happen.
It's one of the symptons, yes. Though i havent experienced any vomiting yet.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Watch for symptoms
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:

• Fever or chills
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle or body aches
  • Headache
  • New loss of taste or smell
  • Sore throat
  • Congestion or runny nose
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea
This list does not include all possible symptoms. CDC will continue to update this list as we learn more about COVID-19.

They also have a self checker on the same page. I wish you the best of luck OP. I know two people who recovered - one who only felt like they had the flu, and another who unfortunately suffered some lung damage and was even vomiting so hard they tore something and were throwing up blood - needing a precautionary transfusion. This disease is no joke.

Shantae

Banned

They also have a self checker on the same page. I wish you the best of luck OP. I know two people who recovered - one who only felt like they had the flu, and another who unfortunately suffered some lung damage and was even vomiting so hard they tore something and were throwing up blood - needing a precautionary transfusion. This disease is no joke.
Thanks. I just hope I'm self quarantining early enough that my dad might be okay....

Even if I call on monday to schedule a testing, don't results take days for them to get?

Last edited:

Ichabod

Banned
I dont know where you live, but the hospital I work at has a station set up for drive up rapid screening for people who suspect they might be positive. I suspect most big hospitals have something similar.

Take heart, though. One of my best mates popped positive earlier in the week (who's not in the best physical shape, mind you) and he said so far it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as the flu.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thanks. I just hope I'm self quarantining early enough that my dad might be okay....

Even if I call on monday to schedule a testing, don't results take days for them to get?

The swab tests take days, yes, and with labs getting backed up with the latest flash points they could take longer. Some private labs are already overwhelmed. Depending upon where you live local hospitals may have provisioned / repurposed some of their own labs - so it might not take that long. My last test took four days for the results. It will vary.

I should also mention, a dry cough is one of the more telling factors. All of the above symptoms could just be the flu or even the common cold, but rarely are those accompanied by a dry cough (a cough with no mucous, no phlegm - like asthma).

Last edited:

Shantae

Banned
The swab tests take days, yes, and with labs getting backed up with the latest flash points they could take longer. Some private labs are already overwhelmed. Depending upon where you live local hospitals may have provisioned / repurposed some of their own labs - so it might not take that long. My last test took four days for the results. It will vary.

I should also mention, a dry cough is one of the more telling factors. All of the above symptoms could just be the flu or even the common cold, but rarely are those accompanied by a dry cough (a cough with no mucous, no phlegm - like asthma).
I feel like as I'm sitting here, I'm experiencing more symptoms lol Still nothing really related to coughing, and sneezing. Just that high temp, and aching. Starting to get a headache now too.

A LITTLE shortness of breath, but that could be because im out of shape, I dunno.

You sure it wasn't pneumonia? I had the same thing 2 weeks ago and couldn't move or sleep. Whole ribcage felt like it was tearing apart and couldn't breathe properly. Didn't get tested for COVID but the scans showed my lungs were damaged.

I never had it that bad comparable to what other people have said and this felt completely different from getting pneumonia from a regular chest infection or cold. I had the dry cough but it was sporadic.

I mean it did hurt and at one point I thought I might need to go to the hospital but the worst of it lasted 3-4 days maybe.

nush

Gold Member
A LITTLE shortness of breath, but that could be because im out of shape, I dunno.

You need to own it not downplay it. Yes, more than likely this is the cause of your problems.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Shantae Shantae

I know one of the ways they save lives in the hospital with pneumonia and Covid-19 patients, in part, is simply having them lay down on their stomach for 17-18 hours out of the day I think it was. It’s called prone positioning, I just looked it up

Go to 19:39 seconds about in that video to see it. Studies found that it actually decreases the mortality rate from 33% to 16% as the doctor states in the video

Shantae

Banned
So I woke up today with a 99.5 temperature, but I still felt really cold when I was in bed. I'm still so uncertain what's going on. I am noticing my throat feels a little sore now. The thing that bothers me the most is I'm feeling a headache come on. I hate headaches because it makes just sitting in front of the tv or computer harder.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Do you still can smell or taste stuff? Covid makes you lose your sense of smell or taste

Shantae

Banned
Do you still can smell or taste stuff? Covid makes you lose your sense of smell or taste
I think so? I dunno, last night we had some chicken that was marinated in a way I wasn't crazy about, but the stuffing was still good. I've munched on some M&Ms, and I can still taste the delicious chocolate, lol

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Get tested, but don’t rely on a negative test result. 30% of the time people who have CoVID19 (upto 60%) come back with a negative test result. Keep isolating until your local public health guidelines give you the all clear and in the meantime try to be assessed by a medical professional to ensure you aren’t missing an alternative diagnosis.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I Suggest go to the hospital to emergency room if the temperature is 39.0° C or more and you still have the symptoms to emergency room.

Did you check your 02% Levels by pulse oximeter? if you have 90% or less of O2 go immediately to emergency room.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
I think so? I dunno, last night we had some chicken that was marinated in a way I wasn't crazy about, but the stuffing was still good. I've munched on some M&Ms, and I can still taste the delicious chocolate, lol

Then you should just have a normal illness

Get tested, but don’t rely on a negative test result. 30% of the time people who have CoVID19 (upto 60%) come back with a negative test result. Keep isolating until your local public health guidelines give you the all clear and in the meantime try to be assessed by a medical professional to ensure you aren’t missing an alternative diagnosis.

I think the self administer tests are kind of bullshit. Why the hell does one test require someone poke your brain through your nose with a Q tip and others you just barely stick it up your nose?

Cutty Flam

Banned
How does this work? I got tested and it came back negative but I wondered if my my immune system was just strong and I was fortunate. Had the exact same bout of symptoms two weeks in a row (I relapsed)

Top Bottom