• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impossible Port Possible? Streetfighter 2 - Commodore Amiga!

RAIDEN1

Streetfighter 2 ported to the Amiga 500 was never going to be arcade perfect.....1985 hardware for a 1991 game, wasn't a great match....for more than 20 odd years, the thinking was that the Amiga be it the CD32/1200 just couldn't cut it when it came to the Capcom classic. However as this analysis shows, the AMIGA 1200 could certainly do the job, and hell it would have been the best port (potentially) of the game, ahead of the SNES, GENESIS and PC!

If only the developers really took advantage of the Amiga 1200, we may have even have got an awesome port of Super Streetfighter 2 (which was another debacle of a port..)

Last edited:

nkarafo

The OP is confusing. You say "i thought it was impossible on the Amiga 500" and then "I was wrong, it's possible on the Amiga 1200".

You do realize the Amiga 1200 is a different and far more powerful hardware, right? It doesn't change the fact that it's impossible on the regular 500.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

The OP is confusing. You say "you thought it was impossible on the Amiga 500" and then you say "I was wrong, it's possible on the Amiga 1200".

You do realize the Amiga 1200 is a far more powerful hardware, right? It doesn't change the fact that it's impossible on the regular 500.
True, I'll edit accordingly...!

nkarafo

Well, i would never doubt a good port of SF2 could exist on the 1200. It's a capable enough machine. Certainly more capable than the 16bit consoles and these got some pretty decent ports. So i wouldn't call this an impossible port. Heck, if it was anything less than arcade perfect i would be disappointed.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I mean, an Amiga 500 can run something similar looking to Doom taking a trick from the SNES version of Doom which is to say, it uses a custom engine:

Doom.jpg

nkarafo

The Motorola CPU is only a small part of the equation. The Genesis/Mega Drive, Amiga 500 and X68000 all use the same CPU. Even Arcades used it.

It's the video hardware that makes the most difference.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
The one-button controller and the lack of 8-channel FM sound are two other things that hold the Amiga back for me.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Very clever l like his copper tricks but what a pain in the butt for the developer/artist.
AGA blitter was unfortunately very slow no wonder all the tricks needed.

Last edited:

DinoD

Ah Amiga. How spectacularly Commodore failed her. From cutting edge desktop hardware in 1985 to last minute half-assed attempt to catch up with PC 256 VGA graphics in 1993. I will never forgive execs at Commodore who run it into the ground.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

SF2 on Amiga is one of the worst games ever made, and made me weep. It was THE game I wanted at home. I knew I wanted to go console from there.

Its atrocious because Capcom didn't borrow source code. The development team had to use an arcade cab, and essentially try to rebuild what they saw on screen on Amiga. The result is this piece of shit. The A1200? I thought it was trash. The upgrade was very minimal considering a 5 year gap.

And then there are the lol worthy controls.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Motorola CPU is only a small part of the equation. The Genesis/Mega Drive, Amiga 500 and X68000 all use the same CPU. Even Arcades used it.

Yep, specifically its about the display format. The tragedy of the 1200 was that it was a cut-down half step up. The engineers knew how beneficial a BPP display mode would have been but management nixed it.

Redlancet

Banned
SF2 on Amiga is one of the worst games ever made, and made me weep. It was THE game I wanted at home. I knew I wanted to go console from there.

Its atrocious because Capcom didn't borrow source code. The development team had to use an arcade cab, and essentially try to rebuild what they saw on screen on Amiga. The result is this piece of shit. The A1200? I thought it was trash. The upgrade was very minimal considering a 5 year gap.

And then there are the lol worthy controls.
i have worked in that shit befove,in the very old old days devs have to go with a camera to a pub to record the game XD man fuck me if things were hard on those times and simple at the same time ,u churn a speccy version on weeks

SkylineRKR

Sf2 amiga port was shit. Ssf2t aga port was also shit. Ssf2 for ecs and aga dev by Freestyle, even if not graphically outstanding, was very very good and arcade perfect from a gameplay perspective.

I thought it was crap, but its the most playable version. Looks like a Master System port almost. No scrolling, small sprites.. And long ass loading times on 4 discs.

Every SF game is awful on the amiga.

nkarafo

The one-button controller and the lack of 8-channel FM sound are two other things that hold the Amiga back for me.
Yeah, the 1 button controller was the biggest WTF for me. Someone thought the evolution of gaming on 16bit tech will only be about graphics and sound (even though 8bit games still used 2 buttons as standard). "Just press UP for jump and we will be fine" That idea aged like a fine milk. Even the Mega Drive/Genesis had to release a 6 button pad because 3 buttons were not enough. Let alone 1! Even games on the Atari 5200 used 2 buttons but no, the mighty Amiga was fine with just 1. Who even decides about those things?

The floppy disks were also a problem after a while. It was fine until the early 90's (though still incredibly slow to load). But when 16bit consoles had so many 2/4 MB carts for more advanced games, the Amiga ports would have to have gutted graphics/animation frames/content and/or multiple disks to swap frequently. And the hard disk was too expensive and not all games would support it either. WHDLoad wasn't a thing back then.

Wanna hear an impossible port? Super Metroid. Now that game would simply not work on the Amiga 500. Not only the game uses all 8 buttons on a SNES controller, it's non-linear nature and open map would mean swapping and loading 2 or 3 disks every few seconds. Imagine the cuts and gameplay changes they would have to make in order to fit a game like this to the Amiga 500.

Thankfully, the machine was pretty dead in 1994 so it's users didn't have to go through that because let me tell you, there were some very hard core Amiga users in my country (Greece) who wouldn't accept games being evolved and even preferred playing with 1 button if they had the choice (i heard one saying "it's simpler" with 1 button). Some even liked the disk loading/swapping because for them it was like a rite or something. Crazy stuff.

Redlancet

Banned
Yeah, the 1 button controller was the biggest WTF for me. Someone thought the evolution of gaming on 16bit tech will only be about graphics and sound (even though 8bit games still used 2 buttons as standard). "Just press UP for jump and we will be fine" That idea aged like a fine milk. Even the Mega Drive/Genesis had to release a 6 button pad because 3 buttons were not enough. Let alone 1! Even games on the Atari 5200 used 2 buttons but no, the mighty Amiga was fine with just 1. Who even decides about those things?

The floppy disks were also a problem after a while. It was fine until the early 90's (though still incredibly slow to load). But when 16bit consoles had so many 2/4 MB carts for more advanced games, the Amiga ports would have to have gutted graphics/animation frames/content and/or multiple disks to swap frequently. And the hard disk was too expensive and not all games would support it either. WHDLoad wasn't a thing back then.

Wanna hear an impossible port? Super Metroid. Now that game would simply not work on the Amiga 500. Not only the game uses all 8 buttons on a SNES controller, it's non-linear nature and open map would mean swapping and loading 2 or 3 disks every few seconds. Imagine the cuts and gameplay changes they would have to make in order to fit a game like this to the Amiga 500.

Thankfully, the machine was pretty dead in 1994 so it's users didn't have to go through that because let me tell you, there were some very hard core Amiga users in my country (Greece) who wouldn't accept games being evolved and even preferred playing with 1 button if they had the choice (i heard one saying "it's simpler" with 1 button). Some even liked the disk loading/swapping because for them it was like a rite or something. Crazy stuff.
Let put this clear, i love the amiga, the best computer i have work with, the scene, the partys etc, but it was a sinking ship, and the hardcore amiga fanboys were crazy and pretty delusional, it remember me of some sega fans and a lot of xbox fanboys, the less relevante their system Gets, the more crazy and rabid they become

But you post its a bit misleading, amiga wasnt a console, yes she got a lot of bad ports but the Strenght of the amiga was the original games and the use of Mouse and keyboard too, it was a computer with games console players doesnt get at the time, and yes, amiga más mighty, on his day it was the Ferrari of home computers

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Let put this clear, i love the amiga, the best computer i have work with, the scene, the partys etc, but it was a sinking ship, and the hardcore amiga fanboys were crazy and pretty delusional, it remember me of some sega fans and a lot of xbox fanboys, the less relevante their system Gets, the more crazy and rabid they become

But you post its a bit misleading, amiga wasnt a console, yes she got a lot of bad ports but the Strenght of the amiga was the original games and the use of Mouse and keyboard too, it was a computer with games console players doesnt get at the time, and yes, amiga más mighty, on his day it was the Ferrari of home computers

The MSX2 was an 8-bit micro-computer, had mouse and keyboard, some of the best Konami games ever made, ànd a 2 button controller.

Last edited:
Every time an Amiga thread pops up I get a little misty eyed. When I was a little kid my late father used to take me to Amiga user group meetings and he eventually bought me an Amiga 2000 with a Toaster that I used to learn all kinds of cool stuff on. I sold that Amiga 2000 to my cousin who also used it to learn coding.

About 5 years ago I picked up a mint condition Amiga 1200 with a 68040 upgrade installed and a few other cool additions to the package. I put it in storage when life got busy. I really need to pull her out and fire her up someday....

Last edited:

nkarafo

Well, i know it's not a console but Amiga users in some of my native forums insist comparing it to 16bit consoles. And not only that, they would compare arcade/action games that use a lot of speed/smooth scrolling/tons of sprites, etc, things that consoles are much more capable of.

I've seen Amiga users defending the SF2 and Mortal kombat ports (native Amiga magazines even wrote SF2 is arcade perfect) because it's "simpler/easier to play with 1 button". I've seen posts like "having 100 pirated (low budget) games for free is better than 10 good expensive cart games" or "loading/swapping is a part of the gaming experience". Of all forum/fanboy wars that i witnessed, 40+ year old Amiga users are the most unhinged IMO, at least in my country. Because home computing was huge in Greece and the Amiga was the "dream machine" in the minds of users who were stuck with a ZX Spectrum for a long, long time.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
i think the amiga 500 was a great machine but it was not mainstream like the consoles of the time , it had mostly european/uk developer support.
commodore just released to many variations of the amiga , which confused a lot of customers.

Redlancet

Banned
Well, i know it's not a console but Amiga users in some of my native forums insist comparing it to 16bit consoles. And not only that, they would compare arcade/action games that use a lot of speed/smooth scrolling/tons of sprites, etc, things that consoles are much more capable of.

I've seen Amiga users defending the SF2 and Mortal kombat ports (native Amiga magazines even wrote SF2 is arcade perfect) because it's "simpler/easier to play with 1 button". I've seen posts like "having 100 pirated (low budget) games for free is better than 10 good expensive cart games" or "loading/swapping is a part of the gaming experience". Of all forum/fanboy wars that i witnessed, 40+ year old Amiga users are the most unhinged IMO, at least in my country. Because home computing was huge in Greece and the Amiga was the "dream machine" in the minds of users who were stuck with a ZX Spectrum for a long, long time.
as i said before,ports werent the strenght of the amiga,i still will have the entire amiga cataloge than any 16 console

Last edited:
Ssf2t aga port was also shit.
I would love to know if there's an insider documentary on Super Turbo development and subsequent ports.

The game was initially released on CPS2 in 1994, and the first home release with no major issues was the Dreamcast release 6 years later, in 2000. (Which, I believe, is funnily enough the version that all subsequent home versions -- including HD Remix -- are based on.) Of course there were releases that were acceptable -- I'm thinking the 3DO one and the one included in "Street Fighter Collection" for PlayStation.

I was just playing the import Saturn version from Street Fighter Collection two days ago, and remembered: "man, what a mess this is." Slowdowns on many stages, loading up the wazoo, vertical cropping at the edges, OG Sagat's special moves not coming out half the time -- da fuk.

So yea, I'd love to learn just how difficult it was to port this game to home consoles. Because based on home ports before the Dreamcast, it seemed very difficult, LOL.

that is far superior to the amiga version
Ecs version = standard amiga 500. Maybe Capcom provide assets for this porting, so Freestyle made a good job. Especially on aga hardware.
Just to confirm that a good playable sf2 porting on Amiga would have been possible. Maybe Creative Materials devs did not received any help from Capcom. Even for the Final Fight port.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

They were delusional. My brother and his friends were hardcore amiga fans, also going to meetings etc. They would say consoles are shit, consoles are this, and that... who cares about consoles.

One guy kind of defected though, and suspiciously enough right after SF2 came out. He was a huge fan of the coin op (then wtf do you settle with 1 button to begin with lol?) but started to talk about a SNES. Probably saw the game running on that system.

I was less of a fan. I liked it, but I guess I always had a preference for console games. As a kid I thought the likes of Sonic and Mario were much better platform games than most trash you could play on Amiga. They would be like, Zool is faster and better than Sonic. And I just thought no it isn't. I hated Zool in fact. I always wanted a console and eventually saved up for a Megadrive, and pretty much ignored the Amiga since then. I didn't understand why my parents gave in to pleads and bought the A1200, I personally didn't give much shits about it, I usually talked it down. And they should've listened, I think it was perhaps a year before it collected dust on the attic. Come to think of it, I barely played on the A1200.

But, Amiga had some memorable games. Though some of them are also on console. Like Cannon fodder, Chaos Engine, Brutal Sports football, Alien Breed, Turrican. They're fun, though lots of them were also unbalanced (I in fact did beat Chaos Engine, but Alien Breed and those Team 17 games hell no).

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
One day ill own an Amiga. Doing everything that windows could and more but in 1985? Well hell yeah.

Indeed. Let me show you what an Amiga 500 can do, slightly expanded (1 MB Chip, 2 MB FAST)

00051161.png

It runs like a slideshow on real hardware but it is in terms of 3D the single most impressive thing on Amiga 500.

Useless triva: Futuremark used to make demo's for the Amiga aswell.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I don't find it so impossible
Streetfighter 2 ported to the Amiga 500 was never going to be arcade perfect.....1985 hardware for a 1991 game, wasn't a great match....for more than 20 odd years, the thinking was that the Amiga be it the CD32/1200 just couldn't cut it when it came to the Capcom classic. However as this analysis shows, the AMIGA 1200 could certainly do the job, and hell it would have been the best port (potentially) of the game, ahead of the SNES, GENESIS and PC!

If only the developers really took advantage of the Amiga 1200, we may have even have got an awesome port of Super Streetfighter 2 (which was another debacle of a port..)

Redlancet

Banned
They were delusional. My brother and his friends were hardcore amiga fans, also going to meetings etc. They would say consoles are shit, consoles are this, and that... who cares about consoles.

One guy kind of defected though, and suspiciously enough right after SF2 came out. He was a huge fan of the coin op (then wtf do you settle with 1 button to begin with lol?) but started to talk about a SNES. Probably saw the game running on that system.

I was less of a fan. I liked it, but I guess I always had a preference for console games. As a kid I thought the likes of Sonic and Mario were much better platform games than most trash you could play on Amiga. They would be like, Zool is faster and better than Sonic. And I just thought no it isn't. I hated Zool in fact. I always wanted a console and eventually saved up for a Megadrive, and pretty much ignored the Amiga since then. I didn't understand why my parents gave in to pleads and bought the A1200, I personally didn't give much shits about it, I usually talked it down. And they should've listened, I think it was perhaps a year before it collected dust on the attic. Come to think of it, I barely played on the A1200.

But, Amiga had some memorable games. Though some of them are also on console. Like Cannon fodder, Chaos Engine, Brutal Sports football, Alien Breed, Turrican. They're fun, though lots of them were also unbalanced (I in fact did beat Chaos Engine, but Alien Breed and those Team 17 games hell no).
I still will choose the amiga over any console of the time, amiga was a different beast, console was way basic gaming to me

And no hard feelings but the way you talk about amiga, u dont know shit about amiga gaming

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
SF2 on Amiga 500 was atrocious, but at least it was good when it stood still, in movement however was a slideshow.
But SSF2 (A500) was really really bad with those shitty colors.

The only responsabile or this tragedy was USGold, Amiga was powerful, also Blitter was very flexible, Amiga wouldn't have had issues to port a good Street Fighter.

RAIDEN1

I mean even Team 17 showed that a decent fighter could be made for the Amiga if you were willing to make it so:

SkylineRKR

I played Body Blows and Galactic. I liked the music but come on, the animations, hitboxes, controls and AI were shit even for 1993.

SF2 was probably the most famous shit show arcade port on the system. TMNT was another woeful experience. Final Fight and Golden Axe were rather lame too.

I still will choose the amiga over any console of the time, amiga was a different beast, console was way basic gaming to me

And no hard feelings but the way you talk about amiga, u dont know shit about amiga gaming

I just explained we had a 500 for years and then a 1200 and listed some classics lol. But its okay, not everyone appreciates something the other does. I didn't enjoy many of its games. And I hated the 1 button controls.

Last edited:
Top Bottom