• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In his 50s, 'Unknown' star Liam Neeson became an action hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't have to be a carbon copy but movies like Taken is a far cry from the likes of the older Rambo, Commando, or even Red Heat simply because the presence of the main character due to Liam Neeson's archtype looks and feels nothing like them at all. He's more in line with an older Jason Bourne or Daniel Criag's James Bond than an 80's action hero.

Luc Bessons characters like Leon the Professional and La Femme Nikita aren't like the classical 80s heroes.

The only other archtype was a genre into his self, 80s Jackie Chan in his prime, and he was a goddamn machine who made Western action stars look like pussies in comparison.

Draft

Yeah, cause 80s action movies like Commando didn't have old retired special forces guys rescuing their daughters from evil scumbags.

OH WAIT.

Draft said:
Yeah, cause 80s action movies like Commando didn't have old retired special forces guys rescuing their daughters from evil scumbags.

OH WAIT.

I said nothing of pretense of the story, but the actual execution of the film. Luc Bessons french productions are more distinctive.

Revenge films is a standard delivery for a film doesn't mean they pull it all off the same way in practice. A classical presence but to dismiss what makes it's production difference isn't fair.

Kapura

Banned
Neeson is awesome. His voice is just fuck fucking good, and then he just doles out the ass kicking. Fucking great. I watched schindler's list the other night; neeson crying over how he could have helped more people was the most emotionally touching moment of that entire film.

antonz

Kapura said:
Neeson is awesome. His voice is just fuck fucking good, and then he just doles out the ass kicking. Fucking great. I watched schindler's list the other night; neeson crying over how he could have helped more people was the most emotionally touching moment of that entire film.
Indeed the guy is a great actor. I wish the Lincoln movie would have happened. Spielberg and his ADHD

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Liam Neeson is badass, but Taken is a mess of a movie. I will never understand all the love it gets.

Rob Roy is his best movie imo.

Loxley

It's funny (sad?) to think that some actor's go 20-30 years into their professional careers before they really take off and become megastars outside of the film-buff audience. I'm not saying that's entirely true for Neeson's career (Schindler's List is a classic after all), but he really has a had serious boom in popularity since The Phantom Menace.

I could nit-pick Liam Neeson's American accent to death, but I just can't bring myself to do it because the guy is so awesome. +1 for the Liam Neeson fan-club.

WillyFive

antonz said:
Indeed the guy is a great actor. I wish the Lincoln movie would have happened. Spielberg and his ADHD

Yeah. Now he's doing some movie about a horse, makes me think what the heck is he doing.

It will probably be something really sad that will make the Oscar people love him again though.

An excellent actor indeed. I believe the first movie I saw him starring in was none other than Rob Roy.
143gmk7.jpg

It still rates up the among the very top few of my favourite movies of all time. Fantastic acting all round, an amazing duel scene (major spoilers) and one of the best villains in cinema.
70yhir.jpg

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Neeson has been kicking fucking ass for decades. He really is the man. When I'm reaching my 60's I hope I'm that damn good.

LQX

I dunno I have always seen him as kind of a semi well known big star. Figured many would remember him from Schindler's List and Star Wars if anything.

He's alright. He has had some cool roles but I'm not too big into him as an action star. Not really interested in seeing Unknown. Taken was enough.

Grisby

The guy just has class. If I ever would have had a mentor I would of wanted it to be him.

Him and Morgan Freeman need to star in something together.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Grisby said:
The guy just has class. If I ever would have had a mentor I would of wanted it to be him.

liam-neeson-beat-that.jpg

You would have a lot to live up to.

Grisby said:

Him and Morgan Freeman need to star in something together.

Even better: Him and Jeremy Irons. And it's been done. Kingdom of Heaven ftw. I personally think Irons is cooler.

Saw Unknown recently. He wasn't as badass as he was in Taken, but the movie is still a solid thriller if you just let it take you.

Platy

NinjaFridge said:
Liam Neeson is just awesome. I will not hear a bad word said against Liam Neeson.

Ask George Lucas ....

IMDB's trivia for Phantom Menace said:
Sets were built only as high as the tops of the actors' heads and computer graphics filled in the rest. But Liam Neeson was so tall that he cost the set crew an extra $150,000 in construction

edit :
richiek said:
Agreed. If Lucas adds Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon in the Revenge of the Sith Blu ray as originally intended, I'll be a happy man.

Well .. the extra money he made then expend in phantom menace explain this =P

NomarTyme

Ignis Fatuus said:
There is nothing unlikeable about Liam Neeson.

If you take away one thing from his movies, it should be "don't mess with his daughter."

ponyo-image-1_288x288.jpg

[IG]http://www.timeoutsydney.com.au/film/newsinterviews/large-QA-liamneeson-taken.jpg[/IMG]
I do not like his VA in this one. It didn't sound right to me.

Grisby

Discotheque said:
Even better: Him and Jeremy Irons. And it's been done. Kingdom of Heaven ftw. I personally think Irons is cooler.

Oh man that movie got so butchered in the theaters. Saw the DC a while back and completely changed my view on the movie.

I'd say Jeremy Irons stole the show on that one, with Neeson and Edward Norton coming in a close second.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
NinjaFridge said:
Best thing about the entire prequel trilogy. If he had been in all of them, they would get more praise.
Agreed. If Lucas adds Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon in the Revenge of the Sith Blu ray as originally intended, I'll be a happy man.

lucius

Unknown is pretty good, definitely better than the less than 60% on tomatoes. Liam makes the movie better like he usually does. Who would have thought that Liam Neeson would be making better more exciting action movies than Tom Cruise.

mokeyjoe

brianjones said:
this

totally generic

Agreed. Average at best. It's a ridiculous premise trying to be an edgy thriller. It's like an 80s Arnie movie with the fun sucked out of it. But it's fairly watchable nonetheless.

-Pyromaniac- said:
man on fire is some underrated shit.

Also Neeson is awesome. <3 him in batman begins.

Agreed. Denzel another person who can elevate movies by being in them.

Time for Neeson and Denzel action movie together me thinks

Enk

makes good threads.
LCfiner said:
Sam Neill and Liam Neeson had been my version of Bill Pullman/ Paxton for years. I was testing to see if I was alone in thinking that.

Not for me but when I was younger I would occassionally get him mixed up with Jeremy Irons. Had the same problem too with Nick Nolte and Gary Busey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom