• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Actors you will gladly watch a movie for?

Walton goggins, he is just fucking great in everything he does and he can cover all the roles with equal success, from cruel villain to hilarious protagonist and everything in between.

6b28e7eab00885ad025faa9d44953da80e0d2749.jpg
Y'ever seen The Righteous Gemstones? That stuff cracked me up. Also with Kenny Powers.

Ontopic:

Robert Duvall

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I actually by far prefer "unknown" actors.
I do like this sometimes, also. I watched a movie called The Platform recently. I didn't know any of the actors, and it was really immersive. If you want to get really immersed in a film, not knowing any actors helps a lot.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Actors are a draw but I've been burnt write a few times to just watch a movie for the actor.

Made a mistake of watching Extraction cause Hemsworth... damn it was mediocre af.
I honestly thought that movie was a fun ride, what didn't you like about it? Definitely not anything super original, but I've seen worse Netflix films.

I don't go out of my way to watch Chris Hemsworth films, but thought he was a decent action star.

sobaka770

Banned
I honestly thought that movie was a fun ride, what didn't you like about it? Definitely not anything super original, but I've seen worse Netflix films.

I don't go out of my way to watch Chris Hemsworth films, but thought he was a decent action star.

Action - wise it may be good, but I don't watch movies for action or special effects. I want at least something from the story and this movie gives me nothing but cliches and tropes.
I'm not even asking for much but it felt like everything that was done before and much better. I mean I guess we agree I didn't say it was outright bad (I'm looking at another Netflix darling - Enola Holmes for aggressively stupid) but mediocre fits it well.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Action - wise it may be good, but I don't watch movies for action or special effects. I want at least something from the story and this movie gives me nothing but cliches and tropes.
I'm not even asking for much but it felt like everything that was done before and much better. I mean I guess we agree I didn't say it was outright bad (I'm looking at another Netflix darling - Enola Holmes for aggressively stupid) but mediocre fits it well.
Fair enough. I think I personally go in to action movies expecting clichés and special effects as they don't tend to have the best storylines. I'll opt to watch other movies for that fill. It's just nice to have an adrenaline filled movie at times.

I agree on Enola Holmes. I didn't enjoy it too much.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Steven Seagal is the best actor but can't deny his older action movies are entertaining as hell. He really nails the action scenes, which is what matters most. Always a good watch.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Matthew McConaughey
Will Smith
McConaughey has come a long way. There was a time when all he did was romance films and he was essentially typecasted because of it. He did a great job to break away from that and approach more serious roles. Nothing wrong with him doing those films, but he definitely proved he had a lot more to give. I think True Detective was the first big time people were like "Wow, this guy is good."

Its Arnold Schwarzenegger, his charisma always puts a smile on my face

EDIT: sorry for double post I though my first message didn't go through

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It used to be Schwarzenegger but since the 00s came he made a lot of crap, especially now since he's out of politics.

Today it's Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise. They both usually do decent movies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Clive Owen was in a bunch of good movies in the 2000s. Children of Men is an excellent movie. I remember watching it 3-4 times in a month when I had cable movie channels back then and they kept playing the movie every week.

As other said, Arnie is awesome too. But only in his prime 80s and 90s stuff. End of Days and Eraser are underrated. And Vanessa Williams looks phenomenal in Eraser.

I think everything he's done the past 20 years is junk. T3 wasn't horrible, but not great either.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Maybe Harrison ford, tom hanks, robert Redford, jack Nicholson, I'm happy with a fair few of the flicks julia Roberts made, though not all.. uhm gene Hackman... Judi dench... Maybe Daniel day Lewis... David bowie? Muhah~

Relativ9

I honestly can't think of many actors perhaps Viggo Mortensen. I'm more of a director and screenwriter follower; Guy Richie and Aaron Sorkin for example.

John2290

I'll leave out the actors who went full on household name and just mention Ethan Hawk. He always does something enjoyable and often it's better than most of the trash that hit the cinema before the Pandemic.

eg. Predestination, Good kill, Regression

Last edited:
The movie Locke, right? That was a good movie.

He carried so much just with dialogue. I honestly love movies that manage to be good in one isolated setting. It is certainly not an easy task.
I remember watching Locke with the ex-missus. For some reason, I thought from the poster it was going to be some Drive style gangster car flick.

30 mins in the missus chimes in.

"is this going to be 2 hours of some Welsh cunt talking about concrete?"

tom hardy GIF by Maudit

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Matt Damon you could make a case he hasn’t made anything on Bourne level but there’s worse out there.

Rickyiez

Christian Bale for me too. And James McAvoy

Also Daniel Craig. I used to think he's one dimensional in Bonds movies but watching him in Knives Out shows me another perspective. Definitely interested in his upcoming non-Bond movies if there's any.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Ryan Gosling hasn't done me wrong yet. Even when it looks like a movie I wouldn't be interested in.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Scott Adkins - He's been in tons of mediocre movies, but it's always enjoyable to watch him kick ass.
Gemma Arterton - she pretty

spawn

1. Henry Cavill- Possibly the best Superman. I'm excited for Witcher season 2.

man of steel superman GIF

Henry Cavill Witcher GIF by NETFLIX

2. Gerard Butler. He was in 300, Gamer, law abiding citizen
gerard butler love GIF

3. Robert De Niro. Any movie related to the mafia is good. He was even funny in Meet the Parents which is comedy. The guy is just good.

robert de niro goodfellas GIF

4. Leonardo has had so many iconic roles. Django Unchained, Titanic, Wolf of Wall Street, The Revenant
oh my god omg GIF by WE tv

5. Brad Pitt. Inglorious Basterds, Fury, Mr. and Mrs Smith, Fight Club

inglourious basterds tarantino GIF

Christian Bale for me too. And James McAvoy

Also Daniel Craig. I used to think he's one dimensional in Bonds movies but watching him in Knives Out shows me another perspective. Definitely interested in his upcoming non-Bond movies if there's any.

Craig is not bad in Logan Lucky

Top Bottom