• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the event that PS5 Pro does release in 2024 but there is no new Xbox Series console because there is already Series S & X

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People are opposed because its been fed to sites like Digital Foundry its dumb this time and not needed

Wonder who fed them that
In my opinion, it is definitely needed. From the very 1st day of Gen 9, we had to choose between Fidelity and Performance. There may not be a need for that on a Pro console.

There is a market for those who want the best of the best and can spare an additional $100-$200 for that.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In my opinion, it is definitely needed. From the very 1st day of Gen 9, we had to choose between Fidelity and Performance. There may not be a need for that on a Pro console.

There is a market for those who want the best of the best and can spare an additional $100-$200 for that.
And possibly launch with a fully PS5 Pro optimized Wolverine?

aroused ryan GIF

Bond007

I could see a PS PRO next year.

Xbox pseudo counter is this new digital console/ cause technically the X is already the second SKU. Following year we see an Xbox Elite(2025)
Pro's one year apart.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
It'll still be a good thing though, especially for game preservation and forward compatibility. Games with PS5 Pro patches will lead to better BC versions on PS6 -- just like so PS4 Pro versions run significantly better on PS5 than games that never got the PS4 Pro patch.

And, in terms of timing, PS4 was launched in 2013, and PS4 Pro was launched in 2016. That was just 3 years. PS5 Pro will be launching after 4 years of PS5's launch, so I think it's a bit delayed if anything.

Is there website that lists games that received a Pro patch after that system launched as well as the benefits to games once the system did launch?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is there website that lists games that received a Pro patch after that system launched as well as the benefits to games once the system did launch?
This one does not get too much into the finder details, but does list what improvements usually.

Last edited:

Montauk

The level and intensity of Pro model obsession here blows my mind.

Do you guys even like playing games? Do you really think your PS5 or Series X sucks?

The PS5 Pro or Series X PRO+ isn’t going to fill the gaping void inside you, sorry.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
This one does not get too much into the finder details, but does list what improvements usually.

Thanks. I went from PS4 to PS4Pro day one so I'm just wondering if it was "worth it" so to speak and I really don't know any better. I'm pretty sure I'll be skipping the PS5 Pro this time around.

Crayon

I still think sony would be inclined to not release it when xb is not going to do it and they are beating the pants off them as it is. There is some truth to that old statement that they are thinking about players who get enticed away to pc for better performance. At least some thinking about making the switch would be comparing their desired performance to a ps5. Once a pro is out, they have to spec a pc to beat that and it gets a lot more expensive. They want more performance and they can get it for less that the price of the required gpu alone. So if it's true that it has an effect on pc flight in any significant way, xbox would not be the only considerition in releasing the pro or not.

Do you guys even like playing games? Do you really think your PS5 or Series X sucks?

The PS5 Pro or Series X PRO+ isn’t going to fill the gaping void inside you, sorry.

Why are you so anti.

Many of us want fidelity and performance and have 4KTVs with 120hz refresh and VRR.

Why can't you support your fellow gamer.

Who hurt you?

I still think sony would be inclined to not release it when xb is not going to do it and they are beating the pants off them as it is. There is some truth to that old statement that they are thinking about players who get enticed away to pc for better performance. At least some thinking about making the switch would be comparing their desired performance to a ps5. Once a pro is out, they have to spec a pc to beat that and it gets a lot more expensive. They want more performance and they can get it for less that the price of the required gpu alone. So if it's true that it has an effect on pc flight in any significant way, xbox would not be the only considerition in releasing the pro or not.

PC is way more competitive with Sony right now than Xbox and will be more so as the generation progresses. Those arguing against a Pro PS5 don't have much to stand on.

Whether Microsoft releases one or not has nothing to do with Sony.

onQ123

There will always be a need for it because you will always get better performance when you lower the fidelity lol

Montauk

Yeah, sure. I’ll see you in one of the inevitable 1,367 “Why the PS5 Pro is disappointing to me” threads.

Then the next day after that launches one of the cult members can start the first of countless “when is the PS6 coming” threads.

Last edited:
Back in the Arcade vs Console days, the console ports were always significantly behind.

You really didn't have much space to configure a pro version of consoles, we can do that today with how games are made.

There is no argument to be had against this. Those of us who want to throw in a little extra cash should be able to do so.

I guess I'm sorry if you're poor or struggling or something....?

I do not think there will be a PS5 Pro personally. Everyone seems to think it is coming but all the rumours so far seem to suggest to me that it will be a PS5 Slim, a smaller model using a lower cost manufacturing node which is what happens with every generation of PlayStation hardware.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, that followed later,. were released to cash in on the 4K TV boom but there isn't the same level of excitement surrounding 8K TVs (understandably because you need a 70"+ screen to really benefit from that resolution) so there is no real demand for more powerful consoles. Games running at 30 fps are developer choices; any game can run at 60 fps if the developer chooses to design it that way. We had a boom of 60 fps games on PS5 and Xbox Series X only because of the extended cross-gen period but now developers are focusing on current-gen they are pushing the hardware harder so not every game will have a 60 fps mode, or if they do, a stable 60 fps mode.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I do not think there will be a PS5 Pro personally. Everyone seems to think it is coming but all the rumours so far seem to suggest to me that it will be a PS5 Slim, a smaller model using a lower cost manufacturing node which is what happens with every generation of PlayStation hardware.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, that followed later,. were released to cash in on the 4K TV boom but there isn't the same level of excitement surrounding 8K TVs (understandably because you need a 70"+ screen to really benefit from that resolution) so there is no real demand for more powerful consoles. Games running at 30 fps are developer choices; any game can run at 60 fps if the developer chooses to design it that way. We had a boom of 60 fps games on PS5 and Xbox Series X only because of the extended cross-gen period but now developers are focusing on current-gen they are pushing the hardware harder so not every game will have a 60 fps mode, or if they do, a stable 60 fps mode.
The PS4 Pro was not released to cash in on the 4k tv trend. Sony themselves stated they had internal data that suggested about mid generation people left PlayStation for PC and the Pro was made to keep them in the ecosystem.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

If pushing the hardware harder means that a 60 fps is not possible on the base consoles, maybe a Pro version could help? Sony and Xbox tried their hands and made Pro versions, so they have hard data about consumer demand. We have rumors so strong about the PS5 Pro that even Digital Foundry are talking about it. But nothing from Xbox. Maybe both had diferent expectations and results when they did it and it impacted their choices in their next gen plans?
The PS4 Pro was not released to cash in on the 4k tv trend. Sony themselves stated they had internal data that suggested about mid generation people left PlayStation for PC and the Pro was made to keep them in the ecosystem.
You can repeat it as many times as you can, if people have been told that PS5 Pro is bad because there is no 8K TVs to the point that Digital Foundry said it too it will sadly not work. Maybe we can ask the mods to consider it console warring? At least the one that are still misinformed about it will lean of it that way?

onQ123

You're clearly lost lol both a PS5 V2 & PS5 Pro is coming the V2 will launch any day now while the PS5 Pro is coming next year

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If pushing the hardware harder means that a 60 fps is not possible on the base consoles, maybe a Pro version could help? Sony and Xbox tried their hands and made Pro versions, so they have hard data about consumer demand. We have rumors so strong about the PS5 Pro that even Digital Foundry are talking about it. But nothing from Xbox. Maybe both had diferent expectations and results when they did it and it impacted their choices in their next gen plans?

You can repeat it as many times as you can, if people have been told that PS5 Pro is bad because there is no 8K TVs to the point that Digital Foundry said it too it will sadly not work. Maybe we can ask the mods to consider it console warring? At least the one that are still misinformed about it will lean of it that way?
I do believe people push that 4k thing as some for of console warring because it’s been repeated so many times that’s not true and proven wrong

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I do believe people push that 4k thing as some for of console warring because it’s been repeated so many times that’s not true and proven wrong
I believe it too. When Sony will finally reveal their plans and will market the Pro, those who will still said so will at least be obviously against it. But this will be probably next year, if they did not changed their plans of course.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And DF unironically push into the ether, the 8K FUD campaign. In a fucking world where they also champion DLSS and other upscaling tech. You can't all of a sudden forget about those upscaling features because you want to sow the seeds of 8K doubt, ya stooge ass posers.

Last edited:
I'm opposed to a Pro console because I simply do not believe that €599 right now will actually get you something that warrants it. And lol at 4k. A €1000 Nvidia GPU can't even get you that without DLSS.

The reason why generations last 7 years is because YES it takes that long for technology to get cheap enough for consoles (and without giant power bricks and fans that you seen on a gaming PC).

Zuzu

I'm opposed to a Pro console because I simply do not believe that €599 right now will actually get you something that warrants it. And lol at 4k. A €1000 Nvidia GPU can't even get you that without DLSS.

The reason why generations last 7 years is because YES it takes that long for technology to get cheap enough for consoles (and without giant power bricks and fans that you seen on a gaming PC).

If it offer 2x the performance and ray tracing of the PS5 then that’s good enough for me. I’d even buy it if only offered 1.5x the performance of the PS5. I think they can get there with a release date at the end of 2024.

NickFire

The reason I want a PS5 Pro is to merge Fidelity and Performance in my games. Nothing more, nothing less.

And no, I don't think my PS5 sucks at all. Literally just want the best of both worlds - fidelity and performance.

Montauk

If it offer 2x the performance and ray tracing of the PS5 then that’s good enough for me. I’d even buy it if only offered 1.5x the performance of the PS5. I think they can get there with a release date at the end of 2024.

There’s absolutely zero chance it will offer twice the performance. And I doubt 1.5 too. Also lol at “only” a 1.5x performance increase.

You guys are living in a fantasy world.

Last edited:

Zuzu

There’s absolutely zero chance it will offer twice the performance. And I doubt 1.5 too. Also lol at “only” a 1.5x performance increase.

The following leak from reliable leaker Tom Henderson says that it will have 30 work group processors which should get it to around double the performance:

PLAYSTATION 5 PRO ‘PROJECT TRINITY’ DETAILS AND RELEASE DATE

If you wish to read more there’s been a large conversation on all this in the dedicated PS5 Pro thread.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

Are you saying that a PS5 Pro being 2x better than the PS5 would need more RAM and a way better CPU that would not be reasonable to put on a console right now? Or that the 20tf rumors are impossible? I can understand the first case. But the second should not be that hard?

Last edited:

Crayon

Iirc, Rdna 3 offers a meager 20% IPC gain over rdna 2. The rdna three stuff also clocks higher, though. Aside from that, they doubled the compute units on the PS4 pro. And it's likely that this SOC would come on chiplet packaging and the newer process node, so that die with twice the compute units doesn't even get all that big and yield is effectively improved by a great amount. That's because any flaw on the cash or memory controller is actually on the separate cheap little 6 NM dies, sparing the graphic die.They could do 1.5 easy, and 2 is not a stretch. Keep in mind, the gain in Ray tracing performance will be disproportionately high to the gain in theoretical computing performance.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I have tried to warn people they are not getting 2x the performance but likely 2x RT performance

Early talks had the pro between 15 to high end 18 Tfs and those would not be the real buzzwords this time, they will hammer home ray tracing performance

It feels like the people who don't want a Pro don't want anyone else to have one either 😕 that's kinda weird...anyway we're getting close to October I'm hoping for the flood gates to open

damidu

if you think they are massacred right now,
this will be a genocide
potato vs ps5
trashcan vs ps5pro right around gta6 release
don’t think xbox hw division will survive it

Perrott

Gold Member
And possibly launch with a fully PS5 Pro optimized Wolverine?

aroused ryan GIF
Unfortunately, I don't think Wolverine is on the table for the PS5 Pro launch anymore given the recent actors strike, which is going to have an impact on the development schedule of Sony's cinematic singleplayer catalogue. Even Death Stranding 2 could be affected and slip out of 2024 unless the whole thing is resolved rapidly, at least when it comes to the videogame industry.

I think Grand Theft Auto VI, which is currently feature & content complete and in polishing phase, will be the biggest narrative-heavy game to debut alongside the Pro.

Last edited:
It feels like the people who don't want a Pro don't want anyone else to have one either 😕 that's kinda weird...anyway we're getting close to October I'm hoping for the flood gates to open

What's really shameful is Digital Foundry going all in with voicing their anti mid gen refresh sentiments. Imagine that, a TECH CHANNEL of nerds who no doubt upgrade their PC's whenever the newest gpus and cpu's come out and they have the nerve to try to dissuade people! Even worse is they actually seem to have some influence with gamers, devs, and publishers these days AND they were CRUCIAL in helping MS and Sony market the ps4 pro and series x!

Fuck you to DF

I still think people holding out for a PS5 Pro are going to be so disappointed when the new model just turns out to be the model with the detachable disc drive, which has still not being officially announced yet despite the leaked video a while back that looked legit.

Microsoft's leak suggests that they have no plans for a more powerful Xbox console and I would imagine that if a PS5 Pro was in development that they would not want to be the one with the least powerful console of that generation because ever since the Xbox One lost to the PS4 they seem to have got it into their heads that 'most powerful' means 'most hardware sales' when it is the games themselves that sell consoles. A console is just a pointless box without games. And don't tell me that Microsoft don't know what Sony are planning or vice versa because it is almost impossible to keep anything secret these days.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
What's really shameful is Digital Foundry going all in with voicing their anti mid gen refresh sentiments. Imagine that, a TECH CHANNEL of nerds who no doubt upgrade their PC's whenever the newest gpus and cpu's come out and they have the nerve to try to dissuade people! Even worse is they actually seem to have some influence with gamers, devs, and publishers these days AND they were CRUCIAL in helping MS and Sony market the ps4 pro and series x!

Fuck you to DF
DF listened to you!

They are mostly talking about the leaks but there is a segment about the PS5 Pro. Their opinion is a lot more positive this time. Alex find himself saying that if Xbox got great games they do not need to have a Pro version 🤣
It is just a few minutes so I advise all gaffers to see it.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
moving-goalpost.gif

Thanks "tech site."
So you have yet to see it. The other two are this time a lot more for it. The man in the right say that he got PS4->PS4 Pro-> One X and that if there is only a PS5 Pro his next move is obvious. He still stay that he is against Pro systems of course. I will still give you the chance to see it yourself. It is worth it.

Top Bottom