• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the US, PS5 is now trending 5% above PS4 and 87% ahead of PS3, while Xbox Series trails Xbox One by 10% yet leads Xbox 360 by 6%

gokurho

US LTD

July 2023

PS5 14.86 m (YTD 2.94 m)
X/S 11.16 m (YTD 1.48 m)

July 2016
PS4 14.15 m (YTD 1.74 m)
XBO 12.40 m (YTD 1.28 m)

July 2009
360 15.68 m (YTD 1.82 m)
PS3 8.03 m (YTD 1.24 m)

YTD 2023 (US+UK+JAP+SPA)
PS5 5.41 m
X/S 1.86 m

YTD 2023 Germany
PS5 10
X/S 1

36oKdiu.jpg

YTD 2023 Italy
PS5 +283% yoy
X|S -23% yoy
This is nonsense.
How about "engagement"?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
There is this pipe dream that all these units are going to sell due to starfield is going to leave a lot of people disappointed. The most sales of this game are going to be on PC where it isn't locked to 30 fps and has easier access to the modding community.

It isn't going to sell more than the X1... And it won't be close. 2024 is going to be a very difficult year for Xbox, more so than 2023.

Why would 2024 be worse for Microsoft?

say, if they do get a banger game out every quarter. Why would it be worse than this year? they will grab the momentum of Starfield and could carry it into next year? If they did that they will absolutely sell better than this year where theyve sold very little for 9 months of the year.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Tried what last gen? The xbox one was a mess from the start. The series X is actually a great console with no kinect bullshit and TV, TV, TV. We've had covid mess up a lot of stuff. I mean we haven't heard anything about new games from quite a lot of studios for a while. Microsoft COULD start hitting their stride now and turn it around, or they wont and they will be worse of than xbox one. Which would be catastrophic for them.
So you don't think the gen where they introduced Game Pass, their BC initiative, the One X was them trying?

Last edited:
Tried what last gen? The xbox one was a mess from the start. The series X is actually a great console with no kinect bullshit and TV, TV, TV. We've had covid mess up a lot of stuff. I mean we haven't heard anything about new games from quite a lot of studios for a while. Microsoft COULD start hitting their stride now and turn it around, or they wont and they will be worse of than xbox one. Which would be catastrophic for them.
Xbox One imo had a better exclusive line-up in the first few years than PS4. Just look at these 1st and 2nd party games: Forza Horizon 2, Forza Motorsport 5, Son of Rome, Ori and the Blind Forest, Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Motorsport 6, Gears of War 4, Halo 5 Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider (console exclusive for a period of time), Quantum Break. I'm probably missing a few here, but these were all in the first 3 years of the system on the market.

Why would 2024 be worse for Microsoft?

say, if they do get a banger game out every quarter. Why would it be worse than this year? they will grab the momentum of Starfield and could carry it into next year? If they did that they will absolutely sell better than this year where theyve sold very little for 9 months of the year.

Depends if sales are on a downward trend or not.

Pelta88

Xbox One was absolutely not a catastrophe in the US. It sold very well and was competitive with the PS4 for a long time.
Wait... What?

From roughly 86 million 360's to 52 million XB1s is a catastrophe. Tracking an additional 10% below the 32 million fall in instal in your current gen, is also a catastrophe. Don't believe me? Listen to Phil Spencer talk about how, in addition, the XBOX one Gen was the "Worst possible generation to lose."

Numbers do not lie. But just in case you need additional receipts...

Online/Print.

Audio/Visual

The point is the Xbox brand is dead as a console.

Even if they release great games in the next 2 years, people don't need an Xbox console to play them: it's all on GamePass Ultimate Day 1 so on PC/cloud as well

Why do Nintendo and Sony sell so much? Simple, you won't find their games anywhere else on Day 1 and they don't give a fuck about subscriptions

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That’s rough.

This pretty much feels like Xbox going in to this gen:
SelfishGargantuanDalmatian-max-1mb.gif
I'd argue that they actually started really well this generation. At least they had lots of positive vibes (with Game Pass and Bethesda's acquisition announced a day before XBS preorders went live), and excellent PR and marketing.

They got super lucky because of COVID and the subsequent PS5 shortages.

They just failed to capitalize on a golden chance.

Mr Moose

Wait... What?

From roughly 86 million 360's to 52 million XB1s is a catastrophe. Tracking an additional 10% below the 32 million fall in instal in your current gen, is also a catastrophe. Don't believe me? Listen to Phil Spencer talk about how, in addition, the XBOX one Gen was the "Worst possible generation to lose."

Numbers do not lie.
But just in case you need additional receipts...

Online/Print.

Audio/Visual

This is US only for the first 3 years, it's Xbox's largest market and One did well against PS4. Half of their WW sales were from US (or something like that).
It's bad for the Series consoles.

Woopah

Wait... What?

Numbers do not lie.

Online/Print.

Audio/Visual

All those numbers are for worldwide, not the US.

As this very thread shows, the Xbox One sold better in its first 2.5 years in the US than the 360 did.

And in the 2nd half of its third year (2016) the Xbox One outsold the PS4 in the US.

The numbers do not lie, and those US numbers are not catastrophic.

gokurho

Wait... What?

Numbers do not lie.

Online/Print.

Audio/Visual

MS does not focus on the number of units sold.
Phil doesn't care about that:messenger_tears_of_joy:

H-I-M

US LTD

July 2023

PS5 14.86 m (YTD 2.94 m)
X/S 11.16 m (YTD 1.48 m)

July 2016
PS4 14.15 m (YTD 1.74 m)
XBO 12.40 m (YTD 1.28 m)

July 2009
360 15.68 m (YTD 1.82 m)
PS3 8.03 m (YTD 1.24 m)

YTD 2023 (US+UK+JAP+SPA)
PS5 5.41 m
X/S 1.86 m

YTD 2023 Germany
PS5 10
X/S 1

36oKdiu.jpg

YTD 2023 Italy
PS5 +283% yoy
X|S -23% yoy

Thanks God Messiah/Game Of A Generation Starfield is right around the corner and will give the Xbox that 200000% boost it desperately needs, cause..
zMloped.gif

Sethbacca

Wait... What?

Numbers do not lie.

Online/Print.

Audio/Visual

I feel like all of this doesn't even take into account that the size of the market to sell into is increasing exponentially as we 80s kids that grew up gamers had kids that are now also having kids of their own (repeat ad infinitum). So the share of market went down while the size of market went up massively.

Last edited:
And with an entry console that costs 300$.

If someone told me this 3 years ago i wouldn’t believe it tbh

Yeah having the cheapest console and the most powerful one plus gamepass seemed like a winning strategy at the time. People expected them to do much better than with the One possible even be close to PlayStation in terms of sales.

I know people say games are the problem but I'm wondering if the issue is much deeper than that.

Hudo

Want me to list out the new IPs Sony has brought to market since then?
I mean I won't stop you (not that it would take that long tbh). Microsoft and (maybe to a lesser degree Nintendo) also brought new shit to the market as well. My point is that Microsoft seem more invested in at least attempting to do something with their legacy shit than Sony are.

I keep saying: I will genuinely consider buying a PS5 and getting into Sony's shitty ecosystem if they bring back Motorstorm.

StereoVsn

Personally I think overall MS is bad at studio management. Hence the current situation and constant delays. Well, and Redfall.

I mean I won't stop you (not that it would take that long tbh). Microsoft and (maybe to a lesser degree Nintendo) also brought new shit to the market as well. My point is that Microsoft seem more invested in at least attempting to do something with their legacy shit than Sony are.

I keep saying: I will genuinely consider buying a PS5 and getting into Sony's shitty ecosystem if they bring back Motorstorm.

I'm not sure but it seems like Sony is handling the PS5 correctly. Doesn't seem like their ecosystem or their BC system is the problem here.

Pelta88

I feel like all of this doesn't even take into account that the size of the market to sell into is increasing exponentially as we 80s kids that grew up gamers had kids that are now also having kids of their own (repeat ad infinitum). So the share of market went down while the size of market went up massively.

Crucially, it also sides steps the pandemic lockdowns.

A period where consoles/platform literally had a captive audience. A period Nintendo and PS capitalized on to build / spin extra momentum & mindshare and then slingshot into pent-up demand once the proverbial and literal lockdown gates were opened... But to ask why Microsoft is down quarter after quarter is way too much for some. They'd rather cling onto caveats like "These specific stats are USA only."

Personally, I haven't got the heart to explain to them what's happening to XBOX beyond the US, Especially here in Europe...

monique-precious.gif

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Some context...

PS5 = 57%, XS = 43% after under 3 years.

PS4 = 54%, XB1 = 46%

This is great data. MS needs to pull back 1.26 million. The Xbox one started to nose dive from this point, I believe. With some great games they can do it I believe and still have all the additional growth from PC and gamepass.
Xbox One imo had a better exclusive line-up in the first few years than PS4. Just look at these 1st and 2nd party games: Forza Horizon 2, Forza Motorsport 5, Son of Rome, Ori and the Blind Forest, Halo MCC, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Motorsport 6, Gears of War 4, Halo 5 Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider (console exclusive for a period of time), Quantum Break. I'm probably missing a few here, but these were all in the first 3 years of the system on the market.

It definitely had a better line up than ps4 even, but the 720p talk and weaker hardware plus the TV,TV,TV stuff completely tarnished the consoles chances.
Btw, this tweet from Chris just shows how big of a monster the 360 was back then in the US.

360 was a behemoth in the US and absolutely decimated the PS3. It will take Sony to do a royal fuck up for them with PS6 or whatever to have that happen again.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm remembering the right report, but I think, launch aligned, it was:
  1. PS5 (42 million)
  2. Nintendo Switch (~40.5 million)
  3. Xbox (~21-22 million)

That's pretty interesting to see. I kind of knew the PS5 and Switch were close launch aligned. No idea what Microsoft is doing with the Series. It really puzzles me on why it isn't much closer to the other two.

Dcr1d3r

Can't quite believe how much traction MS has lost since 360...but fair play to Sony.

It's not impossible but MS has to pull a fair few rabbits out the hat to claw their way back to where they once we're!

Top Bottom