• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In theory, could a modern PlayStation survive with just first party support?

Jubenhimer

Sony's PlayStation brand was built on developers, not just ones owned by Sony, but also those of third party publishers, dating all the way back to the original PlayStation. Some of the industry's biggest names, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater were all made famous by PlayStation. Even today, Sony continues to receive top-tier support from third parties big and small.

live0618.jpg

That said, developers won't just blindly support PlayStation, and there have been times when Sony struggled with securing third party support. The PlayStation 3's early years are best left forgotten, as the system was initially plagued with crappy versions of games that ran better on the much less powerful Xbox 360, and many of the best third party games early in the generation such as Dead Rising and Bioshock being made 360 and PC exclusive, with PS3 versions often coming late or not at all. Then there's the PlayStation Vita, which while started off strong, was largely ignored by most everyone except a small following of indie developers.

ps3-6.jpg

vita_all_alone.jpg

Let's say at any moment, third parties decide to abandon the PlayStation 5 en mass, with all the big AAA, mid-range, and indie titles going to Xbox and Nintendo Switch, and it was up to Sony and its PlayStation Studios to prop up the console. Could Sony theoretically survive with just its own titles? Of course, if you asked this in the PlayStation 2 days, you'd be laughed out of the room, but these days? It's debatable.

Sony has always had good first party support, but it wasn't until the PS2 generation where they began taking it more seriously (SCE published games were moreso complimentary in the PS1 era). It officially became the top priority for Sony with the initial PS3 struggles, as the initial lack of third party support drove them to use its own games to prove the worth of the console. Now with the PS4 and PS5, SIE published titles have become one of the biggest selling points of PlayStation.

PlayStation_Studios_LOGO.jpeg

PlayStation Studios itself, is quite a large production house. 17 worldwide development teams, internal and external development, and a total staff count in the thousands. Combined with strong sales, critical acclaim, and many GotY wins and nominations. Even without third party support, PlayStation would still have fantastic games. The main thing Sony would need to keep in mind in this scenario would be pace of releases and motivation of its studios. If Sony were to support a console effectively on their own, they would need to have a release for it almost every month in order to avoid lengthy software droughts some Nintendo consoles have suffered from. They would also need a large variety of titles releasing for it. During the PS3 days, Sony threw anything and everything at the wall not only to try and incubate new PlayStation characters, but also to help disguise the lack of variety from third parties on the system compared to its predecessors at first. Today, while Sony still has varied titles, most of its output consists of a smaller selection of AAA third person action games that push the capabilities of the hardware, leaving any blank spots open to other publishers. But without third party support, Sony is going to need to produce a larger number of varied titles, while securing whatever publishing deals with third parties they could manage.

The biggest thing Sony would need to do, is to rally all of its teams behind the system. A large part of the reason the PS Vita failed was because Sony didn't do enough to get most of its studios to believe in it. Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica Studio, Gurella proper, none of these teams made anything for Vita, at least not internally. As such, it was up to Sony's lower tier teams such as Bend Studio, Media Molecule, Big Big, Gurella Cambridge, XDev and JAPAN Studio to prop up PS Vita, and while all these devs made some cult hits, most of them weren't exactly known for system sellers, and even they abandoned the system after the first year as a result. In this case, it at least made sense, PlayStation 4 was Sony's top priority at the time, and thus it eventually became WWS' top priority as well. But if a big home console is struggling to meet expectations, the Sony needs to effectively direct its teams to support it as much as they can. This was how Nintendo was able to salvage consoles like the equally struggling Nintendo 3DS early on. When third party wasn't as strong as it should've been, Nintendo rallied its EAD and SPD divisions behind it to ensure the system had a steady stream of varied and high quality releases that demonstrated its unique features. Sony would need to do the same in a scenario like this, rallying all of PS Studios to release as many games as possible, at the highest quality possible to showcase the unique features of the hardware. They were able to do it in the early PS3 days, and I think they could easily do the same with a theoretical third party-less PlayStation console.

Star-Lord

None of them could, Sega failed because EA didn't support them.
EA, and many others. There was a serious lack of third-party support for Dreamcast, which is a shame because it had a ton of potential. I think had EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc given either any or more support, we’d still see Dreamcast as a recognised brand.

Jubenhimer

EA, and many others. There was a serious lack of third-party support for Dreamcast, which is a shame because it had a ton of potential. I think had EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc given either any or more support, we’d still see Dreamcast as a recognised brand.
Another problem was also that Sega themselves really had no easily recognizable IP or brand to carry a console besides Sonic. Dreamcast was the peak of Sega's creativity, but most of its games were simply too niche to carry the system. And they put too many eggs into Shenmue's basket to try and save it. But its massive development costs and the Dreamcast's low user-base wasn't enough to turn a profit.

PlayStation on the other hand, has enough recognizable characters and on-going series at this point to help prop up a console in case third party support goes south. It probably wouldn't let Sony do 100+ million console sales, but it'd be enough support to keep the system somewhat relevant.

Last edited:
Maybe two decades ago when games could be developed within a 2-year cycle it would have been feasible, but not now. Games these days are just too expensive undertakings that require hundreds of people working together and a good 3-5 years. The gap between releases would be too large and the consoles would fail without 3rd party support to fill the empty calendar months.

Jubenhimer

Maybe two decades ago when games could be developed within a 2-year cycle it would have been feasible, but not now. Games these days are just too expensive undertakings that require hundreds of people working together and a good 3-5 years. The gap between releases would be too large and the consoles would fail without 3rd party support to fill the empty calendar months.
Which means Sony would have to try and find lower budget and smaller scale projects to fill in the gaps.

EDMIX

Horizon at 20 million
Spiderman at 20 million
God Of war at 20 million
The Last Of Us 1 at 20 plus million.

I think without 3rd party, they'd actually do just fine, clearly not move the same units of hardware, but they have more then enough of a solid base that buys PS for those titles to do very, very well for many generations. With the right purchases, Square and Capcom, they literally could go one with no 3rd party titles and still move a massive amount of units.

If anything, Nintendo has proven such a thing is feasible as the majority of what they move is their own software, Sony is the closest to that type of set up as 3rd party titles to many PS fans are a massive plus, they are simply not hte sole reason for anyone to worry of such a situation would be a doom type thing for Sony. I would have argued that for MS the start of last gen, but even MS RIGHT NOW, could go on with no 3rd party and likely do quite well lol

MS for many generations was the only first party that was even so fucking weak in the first place, now it seems all 3 have a very healthy base instead of it just being Sony and Nintendo, but I digress..

Jubenhimer

Basically Wii U levels of software releases, good stuff but 1-2 titles a month from Nintendo at best.
The Wii U didn't even have that, lol. It often went upwards of 7 months without a single Nintendo release. A first party release or two every month (which is what the Switch more or less gets) would be rather healthy

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Not a chance, third party game is where they take the cut without much risk. Contrary to what people might believe, first party games are very risky.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Not even Nintendo could survive with the WiiU, even if their games have insane attach rate.
Too funny and then you just fucking ignored the Switch....

Sooo those who keep citing Wii U, I have no clue why some of you are silent about 3DS or DS record sales, yet fucking cite Wii U as some magical thing to prove a point. . Just stop man.

Wii U's shortcoming with 3rd party support is moot, that is how its been on Nintendo platforms for generations btw, Gamecube literally was the last platform by them to get strong wide spread support and anything after as been extremely small compared to those Gamecube, N64 days.

Wii U vs Switch has everything to do with home console vs portable, as clearly 3DS didn't fucking suffer the same fate as Wii U and even those Wii U Games went on to move record units on Switch proving that its not like the install base didn't like the games or the games were of bad quality or anything like that.

be like "wii U da failz cuz da 3rd partiez"

damn look at all those 3rd party games, no wonder Switch did betterz /s

1. Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl * – Nintendo
2. Mario Kart 8 * – Nintendo
3. Super Mario 3D World * – Nintendo
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons * – Nintendo
5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate * – Nintendo
6. Monster Hunter Rise * – Capcom
7. Zelda: Breath of the Wild * – Nintendo
8. Mario Party Superstars * – Nintendo
9. Pokemon Sword / Shield * – Nintendo
10. Zelda: Skyward Sword * – Nintendo
11. Metroid Dread * – Nintendo
12. New Super Mario Bros. * – Nintendo
13. New Pokemon Snap * – Nintendo
14. Minecraft * – Nintendo
15. Super Mario 3D All-Stars * – Nintendo
16. Super Mario Party * – Nintendo
17. Super Mario Odyssey * – Nintendo
18. Ring Fit Adventure * – Nintendo
19. Mario Golf: Super Rush * – Nintendo
20. Luigi’s Mansion 3 * – Nintendo

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
At this point they haven't produced much. And Activision pretty much still being 3rd party doesn't help with your statement

Surely the only way to judge game output is to look at the history of the devs. I dont know why anyone would think Microsoft being the owner would change there developers trajectory for the worse any more or less so then sony.

They would need to innovate on hardware and introduce new gimmicks each gen that is marketable a la Nintendo. Marketing failure would result in Wii U like results where only core fanbase bought it.

yurinka

Sony has the biggest console userbase (111 MAU), so 3rd parties will continue supporting them. These players are also paying around 50M game subscriptions, and over half a dozen games they sold this gen sold over 15M copies, plus they have more that superlikely will be there. So more than Nintendo. Their exclusives also earn more awards than the Nintendo ones, last night in DICE awards was another example.

If Nintendo can survive without getting most of the main games of most 3rd party publishers, Sony would survive too.

It would lose 95% of its software sales. No way.
Can't remember the % now, but Sony recently shared which portion from their software sales comes from games they publish. It was way higher than 5%, I'd bet it was around 20% or something like that.

Last edited:

Paasei

Don’t think any console can. I only buy them for exclusives, but that’s a personal thing within a huuuuge amount of people playing games.

I only have 2 third party games in total for the PS4/PS5: Elden Ring, which technically I don’t have until a little later today, and RDR2. The last one was a big mistake to get on console.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
This will be kind of long, so apologies. It’s an interesting question.

Doubtful. Sony has a few strong first party IP’s but they would have to scramble to fill the void that 3rd party games filled and invest even more in their own studios. They would lose a significant money source from software sales and MTX sales(CoD’s, Fortnite, FIFA, Madden, etc) are huge MTX income machines.

Their first party games would need to sell a a lot more copies(yes I know they already sell a lot as it is)or increase the price on games(more than the new price this gen)even more and develop games that can drive people to spend a lot on MTX. I will say that the purchase of Bungie will help in the MTX department because of the Destiny IP, but I don’t think it would be enough.

For comparison sake, Xbox would also be in a bad area, Gamepass probably wouldn’t be where it’s at right now, or even exist. but the Zenimax acquisition should help their first party output compare to Xbox One era, if the Activision deal passes, it would help some as well, especially the MTX income from games like CoD, but their first party games as of now do not sell as well as Sony’s first parties games.

specifically speaking pre-Zenimax and pre-Activision acquisition since it’s still relatively unknown how these acquisitions are going to improve the Xbox eco-system but so far the current gen is pretty strong currently with anticipation and excitement with what these newly acquired studios are developing.

Neither of them had to adapt like Nintendo had to with their monstrous first party output. I think Nintendo would struggle some as well, if they were left with just first party games but I think they would be much better off compared to Playstation or Xbox in this kind of situation.

Tl;dr No, PlayStation could not survive on first party alone without major adjustments
and changing their approach, sorry for the wall of text.

gow3isben

Nah they would do ok but not really that well.

They need to buy From and either Capcom or Square, also CDPR for western RPG, and a couple mid levels like Remedy and multiple smaller studios like Deviation or Ember and then they would thrive.

This would then ensure consistent output of at least 12 solid games a year and that is more than enough if it isn't available elsewhere.

Last edited:
Technically yes but they've have to cut a lot of costs and change so much they'd be unrecognizable. So no. But yes.
Right answer.
The existing lineup of first party games are made with the assumption that third party games exist. If they knew they wouldn't have third party support, the lineup would be VERY different.

kingfey

Banned
I think so, yes. Have you seen sales of PS first party recently? 1 big game a quarter would be enough.
Not really. Their 1st party output is super low, which makes the sales higher.

1 game per quarter isnt enough for engagement. Since you are dividing the players.

Top Bottom