• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independent: New climate study finds higher expected temperature rise (up to 7C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsp

Before panic: remember this is one study about a new conclusion so it needs much, much, much more research before this becomes the new expected result. Models of the future are hard. Regardless, the current consensus of 4C is also horrendous.

Instead of a 4C increase by 2100 this study found a new range of 4.78C to 7.36C. Summary is that the climate is maybe more susceptible to greenhouse gasses than originally thought. Journal here.

According to the current best estimate, by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), if humans carry on with a “business as usual” approach using large amounts of fossil fuels, the Earth’s average temperature will rise by between 2.6 and 4.8 degrees above pre-industrial levels by 2100.

However new research by an international team of experts who looked into how the Earth’s climate has reacted over nearly 800,000 years warns this could be a major under-estimate.

Because, they believe, the climate is more sensitive to greenhouse gases when it is warmer.

In a paper in the journal Science Advances, they said the actual range could be between 4.78C to 7.36C by 2100, based on one set of calculations.

Some have dismissed the idea that the world would continue to burn fossil fuels despite obvious global warming, but emissions are still increasing despite a 1C rise in average thermometer readings since the 1880s.

And US President-elect Donald Trump has said he will rip up America’s commitments to the fight against climate change.

Professor Michael Mann, of Penn State University in the US, who led research that produced the famous “hockey stick” graph showing how humans were dramatically increasing the Earth’s temperature, told The Independent the new paper appeared "sound and the conclusions quite defensible".

“And it does indeed provide support for the notion that a Donald Trump presidency could be game over for the climate,” he wrote in an email. “By ‘game over for the climate’, I mean game over for stabilizing warming below dangerous (ie greater than 2C) levels.

“If Trump makes good on his promises, and the US pulls out of the Paris [climate] treaty, it is difficult to see a path forward to keeping warming below those levels.”
Independent. Please read the full thing.

Toxi

Banned
post-64231-this-is-fine-dog-fire-comic-Im-N7mp.png

Davide

As absolutely terrifying as this is it is one theory by one group at this point. Most scientists have predicted 2-3* by 2100.

If it is true, which I really hope it's not, we were probably doomed without Trump anyway.

We basically have to start getting on new technologies to reduce green house gasses now. Not just preventing further greenhouse gasses but also removing it from the atmosphere. If we don't start doubling down now things are going to end very very badly

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
“If Trump makes good on his promises, and the US pulls out of the Paris [climate] treaty, it is difficult to see a path forward to keeping warming below those levels.”

"you guys overestimate how much power a president really has!"

bsp

We basically have to start getting on new technologies to reduce green house gasses now. Not just preventing further greenhouse gasses but also removing it from the atmosphere. If we don't start doubling down now things are going to end very very badly

This is a very large motivator in my life right now. I originally had my sights on the aerospace industry with my engineering degree but environmental solutions seem like the more immediate need. Getting some human seed to Mars is still up there, though.

Feel like I could never have the respect of any future human if I don't get involved somehow. Personal measures like cutting meat and driving aren't enough.

MUnited83

For you.
Thanks to Trump supporters, is about to be even faster.

Thanks a lot idiots, you doomed us all. All the wars and deaths it will result are all on you. I hope you can sleep at night knowing this.

Davide

Thank God for people like Elon Musk.

Can someone make a ClimateChange twitter account and make fun of Trump constantly?

Seems like the only shot to stop the US from quickening the pace of climate change by 2 or 3 decades from one election

mackaveli

Won't the States just contribute that much more to climate change going forward with all the shit Trump will do. Won't we be greatly increasing our carbon emissions probably faster in the next 4 years then the last 8 years under Trump.

Fuck we are doomed.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
No one in REAL power gives a real fuck.

We have know about how fucked we're many decades ago yet government's did very little & let corporations stick their dicks down the throat of earth 🌏. Fucking hell look how much of a talking point climate change really is around the world. World leaders sign some bullshit every few years pat & wank each but very little gets done.

Sad sad TRUTH.

Prepare for nature to correct the human epidemic.

Davide

I am more appalled by this impact on climate change than any one I personally know.

But emissions will still be lower under Trump than in 2006 and many years before.

Hopefully renewable energy will become cheaper without the government during his term.

Thanks alot Trump supporters.

Please stop this. The blame first and foremost falls on all the democrats that decided to stay home because their preferred candidate wasn't nominated. We're getting catastrophe because of their childish and selfish bullsh!t.

kess

We have know about how fucked we're many decades ago yet government's did very little & let corporations stick their dicks down the throat of earth 🌏. Fucking hell look how much of a talking point climate change really is around the world. World leaders sign some bullshit every few years pat & wank each but very little gets done.

Sad sad TRUTH.

American energy usage was beginning to level off and decline. That was a big fucking deal and now no one knows what is going to happen.

Just imagine how many jobs could be created if a president starts a large scale renewable energy program.

Building and installing wind power stations and solar panels, modernizing energy grids, improving the building standards and other infrastructure building projects etc...

MUnited83

For you.
Please stop this. The blame first and foremost falls on all the democrats that decided to stay home because their preferred candidate wasn't nominated. We're getting catastrophe because of their childish and selfish bullsh!t.

Nope. The blame falls on the idiots that voted for the fucking climate denier. The ones that put a fucking proto-fascist in power.

Davide

Just imagine how many jobs could be created if a president starts a large scale renewable energy program.

Building and installing wind power stations and solar panels, modernizing energy grids, improving the building standards and other infrastructure building projects etc...

Hillary didn't talk enough about this, I think.

Too much of the talk was about Trump's character when people had made up their minds whether or not they could ignore that.

Well some joe from WV needs his coal job.

Sad sad TRUTH.

The amount of fossil energy in the energy mix is shrinking all over the world. What are you talking?

sazzy

Its going to trend higher and higher.

We're in runaway global warming.

By the time, one set of data is collected, sorted, calculated, analyzed and reported on, we're already behind the 'now' status.

Buy land for your kids and grandkids in deserts.

Well, I mean, Florida had that one chance.

I wonder what will happen when the sea levels rise and temperatures are clearly hotter.
You think they'll still be saying "it wasn't our fault, it wasn't real?" Of course they will.

I do like to think there are the people building monuments to the stupidity of the current generation in the future.

bsp

Musk's business models can't continue to work without government subsidies that will almost certainly be removed. So we're not even good on that front.

Hopefully their internet project and Mars missions will be tangible before this happens. SpaceX has a good plan to getting off government assistance but not in the immediate.

mackaveli

Hillary didn't talk enough about this, I think.

Too much of the talk was about Trump's character when people had made up their minds whether or not they could ignore that.

Even if she tried to the media wouldn't pay any attention to it. How else was she suppose to get the message out? Trump got tonnes of free air time on the media to spread his hateful message to all the viewers every day. Literally brain washed them with the same rhetoric every day and just casual viewers joined in on the hateful shit.

And all Clinton coverage was negative and emails. Anytime Clinton gave a policy speech they covered it for that one hour and jumped back to Trump's speech. I honestly think that was his strategy with the media. I will just give a campaign speech 3 times a day and they will just cover it for free.

Clinton wrote a whole book of her policies hoping people would read it. Probably no one read it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom