• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Independent: New climate study finds higher expected temperature rise (up to 7C)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. The blame falls on the idiots that voted for the fucking climate denier. The ones that put a fucking proto-fascist in power.

Both deserve blame these people bought some bullshit from a con man and these pouting younger millennials couldn't suck it up and vote what was in their best interest.

mackaveli

Hopefully their internet project and Mars missions will be tangible before this happens. SpaceX has a good plan to getting off government assistance but not in the immediate.

But what if government assistance is not there because of Trump? Maybe NASA's budget will be cut? Like what's the point of NASA we don't even believe in science.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
American energy usage was beginning to level off and decline. That was a big fucking deal and now no one knows what is going to happen.

The amount of fossil energy in the energy mix is shrinking all over the world. What are you talking?

It was still very little in grand scheme of things if you look into simulated projections we are very much behind the eight ball WORLDWIDE. People that bring up the fact that we are reducing the use of fossil fuels need to consider that it's more than just fossil fuels that are fucking the climate. Also, the most scary thing is scientists release very conservative data a lot of the time and many years later we end up finding out shit was worse than expected.

I'm sorry but governments had freaking generations to really tackle this issue head on yet let corporate greed delay shit greatly.

Hell this is not even taking into fact that the most powerful man in the world will be put in office who believes Climate change is a bullshit "hoax".

Congratulations to Trump's America!
hqdefault.jpg
Did the great lakes grow here? I think they did but I can't tell for sure.

Time to abandon ship. When we move to another planet we should let all of climate change deniers stay on Earth. It's the ultimate fuck you.
Actually, last night was the ultimate fuck you.

Thank God for people like Elon Musk.

Yah as long as he has investors and doesn't go bankrupt. But it seems more and more likely as time passes that his ambition will run out of luck.

Unless he starts generating profits within the next year or two, I think Tesla is done.

Mahadev

I just don't get it, how have so many scientists conspired to publish all these hoaxes that more or less reach the same conclusions? How are they organizing???

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm sharing a hotel room with a coworker who cranks that heat hot tamale I'm sweating global warming is legit everybody.

For kinda real though, it's November in Oklahoma and Texas and we haven't even hit consistent jacket weather yet. That makes me sad.

commedieu

Banned
the planet is doomed.

In all fairness. There is nothing that can be done to make our ice start freezing again. I mean sure he's a climate denier. It's going to make the last year's suck that much more. But that was already going to happen. too much melted ice..

The sun is acting up as well with its solar radiation and flares. We tested a million nukes.. I mean nothing here was a good idea as far as the environment.

But what's a few more generations of pollution really going to do? The end is already on the books here.

SoulUnison

Banned
We're never going to make it off this planet, and mankind will eventually die alongside it.

As an aggregate species we have no vision or discipline, and we'll slowly fade for the lack of it, telling ourselves "It's not too late. We'll start tomorrow."

The mindset of Trump and his supporters that agree with him about this is that it won't directly affect them in their lifetimes.

It's a "if I can't see it, it's not there" attitude.

Davide

I just don't get it, how have so many scientists conspired to publish all these hoaxes that more or less reach the same conclusions? How are they organizing???

To be fair this is a whole different conclusion from what perhaps all other scientists have been saying. 2-3* warming is bad but no where near as bad as 7* which is well over extinction levels. Certainly terrifying to say the last but as it's the only study saying this I would take it with a grain of salt. If it was actually true even Obama in office forever couldn't fix it.

Madness

It isn't going to affect us, but our descendents, grandchildren and their grandchildren will curse us. Scarce freshwater resources, massive droughts around the equator line and summer months that become so hot they are too much for humans. Sea level rise destroying island countries ans coastal communities. Smog and pollutants choking lungs etc. Rainforests gone, mountains having tops blown up, dried rivers and lakes, disappearing sea ice and glaciers, extinction of several species etc.

It isn't going to affect us, but our descendents, grandchildren and their grandchildren will curse us. Scarce freshwater resources, massive droughts around the equator line and summer months that become so hot they are too much for humans. Sea level rise destroying island countries ans coastal communities. Smog and pollutants choking lungs etc. Rainforests gone, mountains having tops blown up, dried rivers and lakes, disappearing sea ice and glaciers, extinction of several species etc.

the+planet+was+destroyed+but+we+made+made+our+shareholders+happy+dr+heckle+funny+wtf+cartoons.jpg

Xe4

Banned
As someone else already mentioned, this study is an outlier. At current rates, there will probably not be a 7°C rise by 2100. Likely, it will be a 2°-3° rise in temperatures. Not good, but no catostrophic like a 7°C would be.

Okay can we start solar radiation management already. Even if we used sulfur instead of synthetic nano particulates I think a little acid rain here and there far outweighs extinction level warming.

HotHamBoy

As absolutely terrifying as this is it is one theory by one group at this point. Most scientists have predicted 2-3* by 2100.

If it is true, which I really hope it's not, we were probably doomed without Trump anyway.

If you have been paying attention for the last 20 years then this was already assumed.

Nasa recently said Venus may once have been habitable before runaway global warming turned the planet into its current version of hell with temperatures of more than 460C, almost no water and an atmosphere of mainly carbon dioxide with clouds of sulphuric acid.​
Alien-caused global warming from ages ago, I bet.

bsp

I heard he actually wants to get NASA to focus on space.

Was this not because he felt NASA was peddling the "hoax" of climate change? AKA gut their climate and planetary research departments? Or was it some other GOP candidate.

Snaku

Banned
Why waste money on this? Trumps administration is going to ignore these studies and warnings for the next four years anyway. Everything is just pointless now.

bsp

Why waste money on this? Trumps administration is going to ignore these studies and warnings for the next four years anyway. Everything is just pointless now.

Building data and increasingly accurate climate models is never pointless. There is more world out there than America, and more time out there than the next four years.

Blader

This is my biggest fear and the part of the Trump presidency that fills me with existential dread. Trump can do a lot of damage that can be mitigated or undone by a Democratic president or congress down the line, but damaging the planet through a refusal to acknowledge, much less act on, climate change is permanent, irreversible and species-threatening. More than anything else, this is what makes me genuinely afraid of the future and completely hopeless.

Jarmel

Banned
This is my biggest fear and the part of the Trump presidency that fills me with existential dread. Trump can do a lot of damage that can be mitigated or undone by a Democratic president or congress down the line, but damaging the planet through a refusal to acknowledge, much less act on, climate change is permanent, irreversible and species-threatening. More than anything else, this is what makes me genuinely afraid of the future and completely hopeless.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Nikodemos

As someone else already mentioned, this study is an outlier. At current rates, there will probably not be a 7°C rise by 2100. Likely, it will be a 2°-3° rise in temperatures. Not good, but no catostrophic like a 7°C would be.
Except there's a point where climate change causes a self-reinforcing feedback loop which serves to accelerate it. We know from previous extinction events it happened. The Great Dying (P-Tr extinction) happened precisely because of this self-accellerating feedback loop.

Breads

Banned
Eh, I'll be dead by then anyways. Why should I care?

/s

I know it's /s but this is literally the root of all of our environmental problems.

It's a shame our leaders who only have a scant few years left on this pale blue dot only ever make decisions that effect humanity in the here and now. We made a little progress but even then is getting undone in a spectacular way to raucous applause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom