• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2015 [July] Now Voting - Post 280!

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
LeanForcefulDutchshepherddog.gif

(Rain World)

Anno

Pretty interesting postmortem published on Gamasutra by the developer of a crazy looking roguelike called Cogmind. Covers a lot of his thinking up to the alpha release of the game and his decision to give that alpha a rather premium price. It's a good read with plenty of charts and numbers.

I went ahead and checked out the website and the game looks nuts. Worth a look at the trailer if you like roguelike-ass-roguelikes, ASCII and all.

tim.mbp

Is there any 'normal' price people pay for the name your price games on sites like itch.io? I feel guilty paying nothing, but don't know if paying $2 or $3 is considered rude or whatever.

Hey, managore, I saw on Twitter that you were working on a new game. What's the core idea of this one? Looks good
Fhf2K1U.gif

Pretty interesting postmortem published on Gamasutra by the developer of a crazy looking roguelike called Cogmind. Covers a lot of his thinking up to the alpha release of the game and his decision to give that alpha a rather premium price. It's a good read with plenty of charts and numbers.

I went ahead and checked out the website and the game looks nuts. Worth a look at the trailer if you like roguelike-ass-roguelikes, ASCII and all.
Cogmind is really awesome. I usually disike ASCII, but the game does it so stylishly and the combat has a lot of depth and customization

DOLLY - Very simple platformer, the mechanics are nothing new but the environments visuals and the choice of colors are very well made. It's very short, I think I did beat it in 10 minutos and there wasn't too much in the game.

Game Over - It's a isometric platformer where the main focus is being precise and finishing the levels in the fastest time possible, but you only notice that after you complete the first level when the timer appears showing how you did. As the game shows when you start it it may be more apt to play with a controller. In the end it was a solid experience.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

(Rain World)

Oh my goodness. This is beautiful terror. Watching Rain World evolve from its early days has been a treat. What a cool giant water thing. I thought the regular enemies' movements were creepy enough and now this big guy swims onto the stage. Very nice. Better by the day. One man team doing great work.

managore

Is there any 'normal' price people pay for the name your price games on sites like itch.io? I feel guilty paying nothing, but don't know if paying $2 or $3 is considered rude or whatever.

$2 or $3 is not considered rude at all! I hope I can speak for all devs when I say that we'd much rather you download the game for free than not play it at all, and any money on top of that is a generous bonus. I would absolutely hate for someone to not try my game because they felt like they couldn't afford it.

To give you an idea of a "normal" price for PWYW games on itch.io, here are the last dozen purchases for Planetarium:

$0.50, $0.50, $0.50, $0.55, $13.00, $5.00, $0.50, $3.00, $1.00, $3.00, $2.00, $3.00.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That does look all sorts of brilliant

Anybody picked it up? Pondering, but 30$ is indeed a tad steep for an ASCII roguelike.

Alternatively: 2 others possibly interested in sharing a 3 pack? (20$ for each person)

arcanadei

Looking for something that is kind of an 'intro to indies' for people that maybe just haven't had the exposure to them. Ideally would include some recommended games as well, free and run on even low spec machines to keep the entry barriers low. Anyone here aware of anything like that? I might try to just create one if not, but don't want to spend a lot of time if it already exists. Thanks.

Looking for something that is kind of an 'intro to indies' for people that maybe just haven't had the exposure to them. Ideally would include some recommended games as well, free and run on even low spec machines to keep the entry barriers low. Anyone here aware of anything like that? I might try to just create one if not, but don't want to spend a lot of time if it already exists. Thanks.
Check out the freeware thread. A lot of good stuff there.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950962

For me, my introduction to indies were Facade, Nitronic Rush, and Warning Forever. They cover a nice range: the experimental narrative-focused experience, the high-quality game with a ton of content (that's getting an expanded successor), the stylish game with the unique core concept

Leaving for vacation this weekend, so the Screenshot Saturday post this weekend will probably be delayed till Monday night, and I won't be posting as much this month

Traverser - $14.99 (PC)
ss_75eeffa78107e5f562367697cf40d21488e02f9e.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327520/

Young Valerie Bennett has just passed the test to become a Traverser; a new kind of peacekeeper with the ability to travel between the Upper and Lower cities of Brimstone. Join her on a mission to reveal Raven Corp's sinister secrets, uncover years of lies and propaganda, and discover the most dangerous thing in all of Brimstone: the truth.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I highly recommend checking out the GOTY threads that are linked in the first post. Cant start better than with the best that we played in the past 2 years. If it doesnt look 3D heavy, it likely will run on modest tech as well.

arcanadei

Check out the freeware thread. A lot of good stuff there.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950962

For me, my introduction to indies were Facade, Nitronic Rush, and Warning Forever. They cover a nice range: the experimental narrative-focused experience, the high-quality game with a ton of content (that's getting an expanded successor), the stylish game with the unique core concept

I highly recommend checking out the GOTY threads that are linked in the first post. Cant start better than with the best that we played in the past 2 years. If it doesnt look 3D heavy, it likely will run on modest tech as well.

Thanks! Yeah that's close to what I was thinking. The GOTY stuff is golden, but I don't want to omit some of the classic stuff like Dwarf Fortress and Nitronic Rush accidentally either. I want to capture a range of game styles, maybe even a 'if you like AAA title X, then try this Indie Y' type of thing. Not sure if that would be the most digestible approach or maybe better, start off with some quick, very accessible ones like Slayin or Roguelight that anyone can pickup and play, then move on to the more involved games from there. Also want to focus on some of the amazing indie devs specifically. Not sure how to hit all those bases and keep it flowing yet. I'll work it out.

Thanks! Yeah that's close to what I was thinking. The GOTY stuff is golden, but I don't want to omit some of the classic stuff like Dwarf Fortress and Nitronic Rush accidentally either. I want to capture a range of game styles, maybe even a 'if you like AAA title X, then try this Indie Y' type of thing. Not sure if that would be the most digestible approach or maybe better, start off with some quick, very accessible ones like Slayin or Roguelight that anyone can pickup and play, then move on to the more involved games from there. Also want to focus on some of the amazing indie devs specifically. Not sure how to hit all those bases and keep it flowing yet. I'll work it out.
Personally I'd approach it from the "if you like this genre, check out these indie games" angle. And then branch out to other genres from there.

Who are you aiming towards? Like a friend or family member, or something for a site/general audience? I had a similar experience recently because I told my parents about my blog and introduced them to indie games and what that section of gaming is all about

Satellite Reign got some big performance improvements last month, and I can finally play it on medium with a smooth framerate.

Thank you indie gods

Phawx

My Quick Look of Into The Stars is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm2swAzwwMA

Quick Impressions in Good/Bad list:

Good Stuff:

• Game looks amazing
  • Mining mini-game is a nice offset to the regular core game
  • Switching between outer ship mode / bridge-mode is a really cool feature
  • bridge mode UI/UX is very well done
  • Stats of crew can be leveled up
  • Tons of options to outfit the ship/crew exactly how you want it
Bad Stuff:

• Tons of options to outfit the ship/crew exactly how you want it - It's the only option you have.
  • No pre-built ships so you can just pick a style and play.
  • You can't see enemies tailing you when you get alerts, they just pop into place and combat starts
  • If you sent crew members to do a task and combat starts, they won't immediately come back, but will instead continue doing their pointless task while the ship gets bombarded. (This can be avoided you if you listen to when attacks are coming, but it still doesn't make any sense to me. If you're ship is getting blasted, run back. I can understand their being a few seconds time penalty, but don't have them FINISH whatever mundane task I set them out on.)
  • Some of the resource usage and other stuff feels like it needs to be tweaked some, or at the very least off difficulty levels that change these variables.
  • Some of the models/animations are still rough (but it's Early Access)

All in all, it's really nice for an Early Access title.

arcanadei

Who are you aiming towards?

Couple specific people in mind but generally just anyone. With the backlash from the Batman release, growing discontent from a lot of mainstream gamers around microtransactions,the DLC deluge, franchise fatigue, just on and on I keep seeing examples lately where having a nice alternative to present would contribute to the discussions. The stuff here is awesome, some really amazing resources but if you're coming in completely new I would imagine it could be a bit overwhelming at first.Having a bridge between the oblivious and the hardcore indie fans might help that transition. It could be completely unnecessary too, just a thought.

Couple specific people in mind but generally just anyone. With the backlash from the Batman release, growing discontent from a lot of mainstream gamers around microtransactions,the DLC deluge, franchise fatigue, just on and on I keep seeing examples lately where having a nice alternative to present would contribute to the discussions. The stuff here is awesome, some really amazing resources but if you're coming in completely new I would imagine it could be a bit overwhelming at first.Having a bridge between the oblivious and the hardcore indie fans might help that transition. It could be completely unnecessary too, just a thought.
Oh, it's definitely overwhelming. I literally discover something new everyday, and between the in-development games, new releases, freeware games, and game jams, it can be pretty crazy

Took me a while to get so into indies though. I was 100% Playstation for most of my childhood. Then once I got into PC and flash games, I learned about new games. Facade, Nitronic, and Warning were the games that really introduced me to indies, but even after that, I mostly only dabbled in freeware stuff like N, Iji, and Digipen games. It wasn't until a few years ago that I delved heavily into paid indies and just indie games in general.

But like you said, the reason I started getting into indies again was because I was getting bored of the generic AAA shooters and such and wanted new and original experiences.

GRIP - PC, Linux, PS4
nYvQccs.gif

http://www.cagedelement.com/grip/

Grip is a futuristic combat racing game that has competitors battle across diverse landscapes of distant worlds. Inspired by the Rollcage games of 1999 and 2000, Grip takes that heady cocktail of awesome weaponry and insane speed to a whole new level.

Istrolid - Free (Browser)
nO3RCwO.gif

http://www.istrolid.com/

Istrolid is an RTS game about designing units out of parts and fighting with them vs other players online.

epmode

Satellite Reign is turning out better than I hoped when that Kickstarter launched. It has a great sense of style.

Did anyone else played SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition? I'm having such good time with this game because I wasn't expecting the humorous tone and the nonsense that happens, like one of the first bosses you fight is a
computer
, or a random event where you find a cow and you can choose to
kiss it
and you're rewarded by having the cow
pooping a charm you can equip

titch

Steam release of Clandestinity of Elsie was a couple days ago now and I feel like I can finally take a deep breath (we'll see for how long). Sales haven't been going amazingly but we've been getting a pretty positive response, which is encouraging.

Congrats on the release - looks like the steam reviews will get anyone interested to take the plunge.

Hope you get plenty of success!!!!!

RETSNOM - July (PC, Mac)
killingzombie_level16.png

http://somigames.com/retsnom/

‘RETSNOM’ is a puzzle platformer game having one subject. – ‘Players can break the already-made map.’ You should resolve the puzzle as changing and ruining the map by using several features of a mirror.
You have a daughter. She is unfortunately infected by a zombie virus. The only way to save your daughter is to visit the future laboratory to steal the medicine that is expected to be made by your colleagues. But the future research team is hiding in the maze using mirrors. They decorated the maze using different features of a mirror in each level.

Top Bottom