• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward wants Infinite Warfare to become an established CoD ‘sub-franchise’.

Hip Hop

Call_of_Duty_Infinite_Warfare_4_WM.0.jpg
"In a new interview with Polygon, Taylor Kurosaki spoke at length the goal Infinity Ward is trying to achieve with Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. The team has been putting a focus on establishing Infinite Warfare as its own sub franchise in the Call of Duty universe, similar to Modern Warfare and Black Ops."
Infinity Ward’s last go at Call of Duty was met with bad reception from fans and press alike, some even claiming it took a step back in the franchise after Black Ops 2’s innovations from Treyarch. Call of Duty: Ghosts failed to establish itself in the Call of Duty world, and lived and died as a one off title in the universe. As of now, Infinity Ward has no plans to revisit that title, regardless of how the first ones’ campaign ended. With Ghosts, there was confusion around what Infinity Ward was trying to do: create a one-off title after working on Modern Warfare or try to establish a new brand. With Infinite Warfare, there’s no such confusion, they say.
“We want to establish our own new subfranchise. Our own new branch of the Call of Duty tree. What we are developing here could certainly support multiple games. We’re trying to develop a very rich world that we’re not even close to exhausting.”

Kurosaki said, “I can’t speak to what the intentions were when the team was working on Ghosts.” Kurosaki and Minkoff both joined Infinity Ward in 2014, transitioning from working on the award winning ‘The Last of Us’ at Naughty Dog.
Uncharted, Last of Us ... Call of Duty?

In fashioning a compelling story, in creating a successful narrative-driven single-player game, it’s not a competition between the story and the gameplay, Kurosaki said.

"Gameplay is the personification of the narrative, and the narrative is the support, the glue that holds the gameplay together," he said. "I’ve never made a first-person shooter before; it’s a very interesting challenge. As a player you don’t really get to occupy the shoes — or the boots, in this case — of a character like you can in first person."

Nor should the multiplayer of a game, no matter how popular, be completely removed from the campaign, according to Kurosaki.

"I think when you are playing multiplayer, all of that should be framed by the experience you had in the single-player," he said. "The single-player is the toehold into this new story universe."

The same was true for the games he worked on at Naughty Dog, where single-player was obviously king.

"Having the multiplayer without the single-player portion, it loses something; you lose your context," he said. "I think of my work here as incredibly important both in terms of telling war stories, meaningful stories, and with creating meaningful characters. Rich characters that are believable, that have a life before the events of our story and relationships [that] extend before the events of the story. That’s the stuff that is interesting to me."

In bringing this approach to Call of Duty, Kurosaki said that he sees this as an opportunity to infuse and support those big set pieces and action moments with an even deeper, more meaningful story. A narrative that’s richer, that has characters "you’re going to love to want to occupy the boots of."

More at:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/19/12525612/redesigning-call-of-duty
http://charlieintel.com/2016/08/19/...sub-franchise-multiple-games-not-like-ghosts/

Plum

Good luck with that!

Still waiting on that Ghosts 2 to continue that obvious "we want this to be another sub-franchise" cliff hanger ending.

Hip Hop

havent played a COD game in a while but is Infinity team considered the "top team" for the COD franchise?

No, not since Modern Warfare 2 when a lot of the original staff left. Ghosts, their previous game, also left many fans disappointed. They have a big uphill battle with this upcoming game, so hopefully it turns out alright.

The top team is definitely Treyarch, have been for a while now.

RoKKeR

I could have sworn they said this with Ghosts, and....

Anxiously awaiting a return to historical periods for this franchise.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The space stuff looks fucking crazy. I am on board even though i dont like IW multiplayer. Go Naughty Dog!

This doesn't bode well for it being a self-contained narrative though, unless the Villain is set up to not be the absolute leader of SefDec.

blakep267

I guess there won't be an advanced warfare 2 then, since that just sounds messy namewise. Unless they are fine with having it be that similar

I liked the AW EXO suits and gameplaymore than Black Ops so it'd be a shame to see them go away

black070

I guess there won't be an advanced warfare 2 then, since that just sounds messy namewise. Unless they are fine with having it be that similar

I liked the AW EXO suits and gameplaymore than Black Ops so it'd be a shame to see them go away

That's Sledgehammer - they're working on next year's entry.

Matush

Game does look amazing imo, dont understand all that hate at all, I guess it's cool to bash on CoD nowadays.

blakep267

That's Sledgehammer - they're working on next year's entry.
I know that. I'm saying would activision mind having two COD sub brands that are somewhat similar in name and scope

Black Ops is off and doing its own thing in a sense, where as AW and IW look to be more similar to each other

geordiemp

Well they are doing the COD points for special enhanced weapons of guns (the pay to win formulae of Advanced warfare)

So everything thing people disliked about COD advanced warfare is being doubled down....

Does not look too promising.

Bet they dont sell many season passes when you have to gamble for the good guns.

Activision setting new levels of greed, which is a shame as I love some COD and used to buy season pass deluxe edition every year. But not this year.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I am excited and ready to be blown away by rich storytelling in a Call of Duty game again. It's been so long since the first Modern Warfare.

a916

Make a good COD that people want to come back and you'll succeed.

(so don't do what you did with Ghosts)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No, not since Modern Warfare 2 when a lot of the original staff left. Ghosts, their previous game, also left many fans disappointed. They have a big uphill battle with this upcoming game, so hopefully it turns out alright.

The top team is definitely Treyarch, have been for a while now.
Treyarch are definitely not lol.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I didn't enjoy Modern Warfare 3 or Ghosts, so I'm still waiting for a decent Nu-Infinity Ward CoD game. My favorite CoD games are easily the Treyarch ones.

I plan on skipping out on CoD this year and going with Titanfall and possibly Battlfield One instead.

But I want Ghosts 2 ;-;

I'll play Infinite Warfare, especially considering that I think BF1 looks miserable, but the fact that that Infinity Ward seems disinterested in Ghosts 2 saddens me so much

drotahorror

Every year I ask myself 'is this the year I buy a call of duty title.'

Never do.

Opposite for me.

"Is this the year I don't buy CoD?"

Yes. Yes, it is.

I loved Titanfall but after messing around on TF2 beta, naw I'm done with the futuristic shit for a while. Between all the other nonsense shooters out there with crazy mobility and whatnot I think I'm just wanting a break from it.

Now Treyarch is considered the top team by fans
After Black Ops 3, fuck Treyarch.
They fucked up Zombies and somehow couldn't make a decent campaign when literally all they needed to do was have a Mason child
(preferably daughter this time) have a campaign in the 2050'ish era that somehow ties in with the dad's(BO2's MC) in the 2020-30's.
Toss in a hint at Reznov and they were golden.

CHC

Hopefully the new staff from ND will help ensure that all these words carry a little bit of weight. Making a good FPS campaign really shouldn't be THAT hard, but for some reason 90% of studios over the past decade have completely bungled the job.

I like Call of Duty's brand of over-the-top action and setpieces, but there's really nothing there that excludes decent pacing and characterization. I think Modern Warfare 1 did a pretty good job balancing the two ideas, so if that's kind of the way they want to head, I'll be excited.

But you know, they say these kinds of things every year and the campaigns have been getting pretty much progressively worse since like... Black Ops, I'd say. Black Ops III was offensively bad, and I have a pretty high threshold for stupid, monotonous campaigns.

AHA-Lambda

Seems like a non statement, surely each entry's intent is that?
With the exception of Ghosts and that's cos it was received so poorly

Top Bottom