• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Influential videogame cinematics...

meernakh

Hi all, first post on this forum. I remember this intro cinematic. If i recall correctly you could download it from the games website. It was about 20megs and it took me hours to download with our dial up. My dad was pissed off but when he watched it he ended up buying the game for me 🙂 i guess you can call that influencial.

Tschumi

Hi all, first post on this forum. I remember this intro cinematic. If i recall correctly you could download it from the games website. It was about 20megs and it took me hours to download with our dial up. My dad was pissed off but when he watched it he ended up buying the game for me 🙂 i guess you can call that influencial.

I'm so honored that not only did I get your first post, but your post included the only cinematic that, in my mind, could possibly challenge Warcraft 3 for my 'most influential', personally speaking.,.. AoE was the first 'full' game I ever played, I loved it, and this cinematic captured my imagination hugely. It coloured my childhood.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I'm not a game developer, so I can't say any of the following were super important for the industry as a whole, but...

Intro/title card for Ocarina of Time. Seeing a full grown, 3D Link riding across Hyrule Field on Epona while a musical theme incorporating the Flute jingle from the original LoZ played was just...awesome. Kinda set the ambience for what was (to me, at least) a lonely, but happy, nostalgic, but melancholy almost coming of age journey.

Final Fantasy VII intro. Stars in space fading into mako, close up on Aerith's face, zoom out over the whole of Midgar, fast cuts to a speeding train, ending with Cloud (and the player) beginning their journey. Super cool way to introduce a setting, set up scale, and show that characters from all over this big city will eventually be related to each other.

And the single shot ending of Ground Zeroes, just for how cool and cinematic it was. I don't have much to say about it, I just think it's neat.

Last edited:

elbourreau

pandemonium intro

It can feel a bit cheesy today, but back in the days(1996) I was blown away by the quality of animation / perfromance.

Last edited:

Myths

ff13 opening cinematic i’ll admit …

Something inspiring to this day. This game was better left off as a series of tech demo trailers featuring with Lightning.

laynelane

Never seen an opening in 1998 like this with a TV series intro, a touch of Twin Peaks too

The cutscene for Lisa's transformation included at the start of the video really stood out for me when I played the game. It gave a clearer picture of what the nurses looked like at the hospital (beyond what the in-game graphics could) and was, overall, a visually striking and sad scene.

Last edited:
Top Bottom