• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Roblox Criminal Underworld, Where Kids Are Scamming Kids

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In this IGN investigative report, we’re looking into Roblox. Specifically, we’re diving into the illicit world of Roblox scams, where teens are making more than $2000 per week by scamming other kids.

In this report, IGN has talked to not one Roblox scammer, but multiple, who have explained to us how they use tools like Discord and websites like RBXFlip.com to launder Roblox items, which can then be resold for Robux. One Robux scammer we talked to described a custom script they described as a “pin cracker” which they use to access a victim’s username, password, and IP address while auto-unverifying their email.

We’ve also talked to the victims who talk about how Roblox scams have affected the way they see the game.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Getting your furni and rune armour stolen by scammers in Habbo and Runescape was a true rite of passage in the early 2000s. Some things never change.

Last edited:
Little bastards…
Sad Doctor Who GIF

Kadve

I blame todays parenting. In a time where you can barely even yell at your kid without being investigated for child abuse and parents just give them phones/tablets to avoid actually raising them is going to create a generation of narcissistic sociopaths.

Last edited:
I blame todays parenting. In a time where you can barely even yell at your kid without being investigated for child abuse and parents just give them phones/tablets to avoid actually raising them is going to create a generation of narcissistic sociopaths.
Do you have any kids?

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's such a sad thing that in today's world will only grab 5 minutes attention of parents and eligible voters and then they wonder why they get people like Trump of Biden as Presidents.
I'm almost impressed that you managed to manage to relate Roblox scams into politics, given that one has absolutely nothing to do with the other

Kadve

Do you have any kids?
No but my sister is a grade school teacher who told a quite a bit of horrors stories regarding how her kids behave and how little the parents care about their behaviour as well as how little they are allowed to do to remify it

Then there was the time my cousin's 2 year old son accidently fell of a chair and hit his head. By law the hospital had to report the incident as a potential abuse case and the resulting investigation/media frenzy almost ruined her life.

Last edited:

Synless

No but my sister is a grade school teacher who told a quite a bit of horrors stories regarding how her kids behave and how little the parents care about their behaviour as well as how little they are allowed to do to remify it

Then there was the time my cousin's 2 year old son accidently fell of a chair and hit his head. By law the hospital had to report the incident as a potential abuse case and the resulting investigation/media frenzy almost ruined her life.
I’m a parent of multiple kids. Whatever you’re describing is a an anomaly. Media doesn’t just jump in because of head injuries.

Also, you can scold your kids. Many parents these are just fucking lazy. You spend time with your kids, you coach and mentor your kids, you don’t rely on an iPad to raise them.

Roblox isn’t the issue here, shit parenting is.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This game along with Fortnite are the demons represented as video games. 😈.

Amoung us is another shitty game.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That's all they see so of course they will emulate the behavior. What influencer isn't a grifter? Media outlets now are just all grifters selling their wellness pills and educational programs.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The industry is large enough that it has its own different types of businesses inside itself. It’s sad that this is what video games are to some people. They’ll never have the golden era to reflect back on. It’ll be the time they cheated someone or got exploited themselves. They’ll complain about everything that made games so great to begin with.

You have a lot of parents who bat an eye and they never took the time to understand video games. When I was a kid it was talking to people in chat rooms. Now a days you’ve got kids on Discord like in this YT video and online communities inside the video game. It isn’t about discussing who will play in the next WoW raid. It’s kids trying to make money without working for it. If I was Roblox I’d crack down hard and remove the features that make kids do this, but that would also take money away from the developers.

You’ve got businesses that sell and support video games that don’t care at all about this stuff. They’re only around to make money. There’s also those who profit from being a big brother or big sister with their live streams. It all feels like it’s a shell of its former self, but it’s also been a business during those glory years. They only listen when they start to lose money.

TrueLegend

I'm almost impressed that you managed to manage to relate Roblox scams into politics, given that one has absolutely nothing to do with the other
Political debates are supposed to be about this. This is my second political post here since I joined and I am not American. This is literally the stuff where politics should kick in, you need laws against these practises. Debates about real issues, real issues of changing times rather than proxy issues of changing times. The way you used absolutely is the problem. How is scam not related to law and how are laws supposed to be framed if not by a political apparatus.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Political debates are supposed to be about this. This is my second political post here since I joined and I am not American. This is literally the stuff where politics should kick in, you need laws against these practises. Debates about real issues, real issues of changing times rather than proxy issues of changing times. The way you used absolutely is the problem. How is scam not related to law and how are laws supposed to be framed if not by a political apparatus.
So instead of talking about laws, you didn't mention them at all. Good way to make your point

I’m a parent of multiple kids. Whatever you’re describing is a an anomaly. Media doesn’t just jump in because of head injuries.

Also, you can scold your kids. Many parents these are just fucking lazy. You spend time with your kids, you coach and mentor your kids, you don’t rely on an iPad to raise them.

As a former middle school teacher, I can confirm shit-ass, lazy parents are the problem. Probably 75% of my parent-teacher conferences involved me and the other teachers wondering what's going on at home. The parents say the kid is up until 3am every night playing on their Xbox or cell phone and the parents just don't know what to do about it. You fucking take away the electronic distractions, you fuckwits and impose some consequences for their behavior.

Tams

Nothing new. It happened in RuneScape all the time. Edit: and Habbo, though I never played it much. Pool's closed though, eh?

Did the author only just realise that kids are so often shitty, evil little brats?

Last edited:

Tams

I can assure you that there are plenty of gutter 'journalists' who will leap on anything. It's just luck of the draw if they pick up your accident.

Top Bottom