• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Unreal: In-depth look at PS5's Lumen in the land Of Nanite demo(only 6.14gb of geometry) and Deep dive into Nanite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Hair

Banned
Again GIF by memecandy
Get Out Goodbye GIF

skit_data

Oh no! My console is worthless!

/s

Just out of curiosity, what are the specs of the computer? Can’t watch it atm

HoofHearted

Still showing the demo/Engine in editor mode. I want to see him literally play it like it were a playable game. Which is what the PS5 was doing for that specific demo. I want to see how the PC handles specific parts of the demo.
????

Why would that make any difference?

Considering it's running in the editor it's likely taking *more* resources to run - not less when in actual compiled/end-state binary form.

Can't wait for the "This only works because they loaded the entire demo into RAM" and "LOL so your PC can run it, but it cost a billion dollars!" people to show up.

Edit: too late, they're already here.
This is an asinine comment. For one how the hell do you think it was created originally? It at some point had to run on something other than a PS5.... secondly it is already concluded that you would need a min of a system that cost twice that of a PS5 to run it at the same settings. This isnt the PS5 own that you think it is.

Papacheeks

Banned
????

Why would that make any difference?

Considering it's running in the editor it's likely taking *more* resources to run - not less when in actual compiled/end-state binary form.

You have no clue. Editor mode doesn't have a lot of things on that are super taxing like post processing effects. Hence why at the end he shows you the portal but there's no effects applied. You can by all means turn things on and run them in editor mode. But the whole point of editor mode is to make changes and test. And how you would fully test any changes to see how they look and affect Frame rate, hitching, or any other effects is to play them out in realtime. Which means things get added depending on your setup/demo you have created with your assets. Certain scripts and what not do not run in editor mode until you want to look at them and run them in editor mode by activating them. If you were to activate everything you have setup to be applied and compiled for playout it add's significant stress to the system.

It's no different than programs like ADOBE, Divinci resolve ect. When your editing some 3d graphics it's not A. being fully rendered, B. any filters, extra textures, effects you have set to be applied are not being applied in realtime. That comes when you render it.

Which take lots of processing, memory on top of what is cached. When being compiled ever notice how your machine starts making more noise when doing a final render?
That is because everything is being applied that is in that scene, all the effects, animations, and transitions all together.
The same thing can be applied to programs like 3D STUDIO MAX, MAYA which I use to be proficient in, but also those are modeled just like Game engines. Maya was used a lot in PS1 days for CGI scenes for Final Fantasy among other titles.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
You have no clue. Editor mode doesn't have a lot of things on that are super taxing like post processing effects. Hence why at the end he shows you the portal but there's no effects applied. You can by all means turn things on and run them in editor mode. But the whole point of editor mode is to make changes and test. And how you would fully test any changes to see how they look and affect Frame rate, hitching, or any other effects is to play them out in realtime. Which means things get added depending on your setup/demo you have created with your assets. Certain scripts and what not do not run in editor mode until you want to look at them and run them in editor mode by activating them. If you were to activate everything you have setup to be applied and compiled for playout it add's significant stress to the system.

It's no different than programs like ADOBE, Divinci resolve ect. When your editing some 3d graphics it's not A. being fully rendered, B. any filters, extra textures, effects you have set to be applied are not being applied in realtime. That comes when you render it.

Which take lots of processing, memory on top of what is cached. When being compiled ever notice how your machine starts making more noise when doing a final render?
That is because everything is being applied that is in that scene, all the effects, animations, and transitions all together.
The same thing can be applied to programs like 3D STUDIO MAX, MAYA which I use to be proficient in, but also those are modeled just like Game engines. Maya was used a lot in PS1 days for CGI scenes for Final Fantasy among other titles.
"If it runs in editor, it runs in real time" logic. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

This is an asinine comment. For one how the hell do you think it was created originally? It at some point had to run on something other than a PS5.... secondly it is already concluded that you would need a min of a system that cost twice that of a PS5 to run it at the same settings. This isnt the PS5 own that you think it is.
Uhh... all I did was claim that people making comments along those lines would show up, and I turned out to be right. Not sure what your problem is. Maybe loosen those warrior goggles a bit.

Last edited:

CurtBizzy

unknown.png

Hopefully, this lets people worry less about games being 10 terabyte or something.
The models in this demo had more texture maps and denser ones than the more recent demo which was created to be shared and tested.. However the newer demo is less optimized with more overdraw making the nanite rendering portion take longer.

Here is a link to the full stream.

Is this demo using 8k textures ?

HoofHearted

Wow - No need to get personal ..

You don't know me. Take a pill or smoke a joint and relax a little.

Admittedly - I'm not a game developer - but I am a developer and IT professional with extensive experience in quite a wide array of various development platforms and technologies ..

So, before you make more assumptions and continue to make an ass out of yourself - I do have a "clue" and understanding on how things actually work at a fundamental level ...

All said and done - I'll still take the word of the actual developer on the video that calls out the "misconceptions" and immediately addresses these by stating that the engine can/will run on a PC (and other platforms) and that the demo presented last year doesn't require a PS5 to run...

But hey - if you're so smart and know more than him - proceed forward with your assumptions..

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I thought they'd finally thought fuck it and shared the exact same demo. Fingers crossed it won't be too long until that appears, but we all know that it will run on Xbox/PC the same as last years demo.

Uhh... all I did was claim that people making comments along those lines would show up, and I turned out to be right. Not sure what your problem is. Maybe loosen those warrior goggles a bit.
Right im the warrior when you come in here posting BS trying to bait. Ignored.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: amc
It's not a ps5 own at all. It's a Sony fanboy own.
Ps5 is great, but it's not impossibly great like some here imply.

It's not a ps5 own at all. It's a Sony fanboy own.
Ps5 is great, but it's not impossibly great like some here imply.
But literally no one is saying you need a "billion" dollar PC to run this. Its not a fan boy mindset to think you would need a system substantially more expensive than a PS5 to run this so how is it a fanboy own? Its clearly bait and i really dont want to derail this thread any further.

But literally no one is saying you need a "billion" dollar PC to run this. Its not a fan boy mindset to think you would need a system substantially more expensive than a PS5 to run this so how is it a fanboy own? Its clearly bait and i really dont want to derail this thread any further.
There is lots saying this is/was impossible to run on anything but ps5, but a mid range computer last year could run it fine.

Right im the warrior when you come in here posting BS trying to bait. Ignored.
I know you're not gonna read this, but... how is it BS? My prediction literally came true before I even hit that post button 😂

Also, I didn't "come in here" to post anything at all. Mods moved my post here from another thread.

Anyway, I wish you all the best for the future. I'm sure your endearing habit of ignoring and running away from people you disagree with is gonna open all sorts of doors for you.

Banned
people who thought the demo was only possible on PS5 are fucking delusional, plain and simple.
these people still believe that the PS5 has some magical hardware that can defy the laws of physics, it's kinda hilarious

Last edited:
There is lots saying this is/was impossible to run on anything but ps5, but a mid range computer last year could run it fine.
That line of thinking does not make any sense. So it was developed, compiled and ran all on a PS5? My initial response was to the strawman post i responded to was nothing but bait. Your response to me is even stranger. We dont know what it will take for a PC to run this, thats the reason i entered this thread trying to see if that was uncovered yet but instead im met with ridiculous fanboys trying to use this topic once again as ammunition. Also do you have a link to the demo can run on a mid range PC or are you talking about that 2070 laptop that was running a video of the PS5 running it? I am genuinely curious as to the PC equivalent settings.

Papacheeks

Banned
Wow - No need to get personal ..

You don't know me. Take a pill or smoke a joint and relax a little.

Admittedly - I'm not a game developer - but I am a developer and IT professional with extensive experience in quite a wide array of various development platforms and technologies ..

So, before you make more assumptions and continue to make an ass out of yourself - I do have a "clue" and understanding on how things actually work at a fundamental level ...

All said and done - I'll still take the word of the actual developer on the video that calls out the "misconceptions" and immediately addresses these by stating that the engine can/will run on a PC (and other platforms) and that the demo presented last year doesn't require a PS5 to run...

But hey - if you're so smart and know more than him - proceed forward with your assumptions..

The misconceptions come from people saying the demo could not run on PC. WHich anyone with a brain knows that the engine itself was built using a PC. The demo that ran last year that they are showing in "Edit" mode is not the same as having everything play in realtime. As in take the demo they made that to my knowledge was literally on a disc put it into the PC re-configure obviously if needed then run it in game mode to actually use a controller to control the character and go through everything.

Specifically the end where the I/O and ssd optimizations were obviously on display.

You like many others assumed, and did not read up on the discussion in this thread that transpired with people getting banned for blatantly being fanboy's and just plain disrupting the conversation. The issue really isn't you so sorry if I came off like an asshat.

The issue is the misconception also for people like VFXVETERAN who are trying to apply their position in the industry over others who actually use Game Engines as apposed to people who work in Studio/Production environment.
I work in Broadcast, but went to school for Game Animation/3d modeling. So I have used to a good extent in the past Unreal engine, Unity, Maya, ZBRUSH, 3D STUDIO MAX.

Most of which are still used today almost exclusively for gaming, especially ZBRUSH. Studio Max, and Maya maybe not so much. Unfortunaly because of woke BS all big developers like people from Insomniac are all on Resetera. And also more than likely Sony has a NDA in place because of their customizations in hardware, and because they paid money to EPIC for such a thing.
So the developers from Epic may not be able to show the demo in question being played out in realtime.

Until I see this demo being played with a dual sense or type of controller in realtime the point stands that outside of looking like every other Edit mode in a game engine there's nothing special being shown that disproves the customizations made for PS5;s hardware.

All they are showing is the demo assets/build in editor mode of the engine running on a pc. WHich is not different than me booting it up on my laptop or gaming PC.

Last edited:
That line of thinking does not make any sense. So it was developed, compiled and ran all on a PS5? My initial response was to the strawman post i responded to was nothing but bait. Your response to me is even stranger. We dont know what it will take for a PC to run this, thats the reason i entered this thread trying to see if that was uncovered yet but instead im met with ridiculous fanboys trying to use this topic once again as ammunition. Also do you have a link to the demo can run on a mid range PC or are you talking about that 2070 laptop that was running a video of the PS5 running it? I am genuinely curious as to the PC equivalent settings.
Do you actually think epic China engineers don't know the difference?

HoofHearted

The misconceptions come from people saying the demo could not run on PC. WHich anyone with a brain knows that the engine itself was built using a PC. The demo that ran last year that they are showing in "Edit" mode is not the same as having everything play in realtime. As in take the demo they made that to my knowledge was literally on a disc put it into the PC re-configure obviously if needed then run it in game mode to actually use a controller to control the character and go through everything.

Specifically the end where the I/O and ssd optimizations were obviously on display.

You like many others assumed, and did not read up on the discussion in this thread that transpired with people getting banned for blatantly being fanboy's and just plain disrupting the conversation. The issue really isn't you so sorry if I came off like an asshat.

The issue is the misconception also for people like VFXVETERAN who are trying to apply their position in the industry over others who actually use Game Engines as apposed to people who work in Studio/Production environment.
I work in Broadcast, but went to school for Game Animation/3d modeling. So I have used to a good extent in the past Unreal engine, Unity, Maya, ZBRUSH, 3D STUDIO MAX.

Most of which are still used today almost exclusively for gaming, especially ZBRUSH. Studio Max, and Maya maybe not so much. Unfortunaly because of woke BS all big developers like people from Insomniac are all on Resetera. And also more than likely Sony has a NDA in place because of their customizations in hardware, and because they paid money to EPIC for such a thing.
So the developers from Epic may not be able to show the demo in question being played out in realtime.

Until I see this demo being played with a dual sense or type of controller in realtime the point stands that outside of looking like every other Edit mode in a game engine there's nothing special being shown that disproves the customizations made for PS5;s hardware.

All they are showing is the demo assets/build in editor mode of the engine running on a pc. WHich is not different than me booting it up on my laptop or gaming PC.
I understand - but I think there's even more disconnect and misconceptions here (not necessarily with you) that goes beyond your (valid) point regarding final real-time play through.

To be clear - I'm not discounting that there may(are?) specific hardware customizations on PS5 that would yield potential performance enhancements when running real-time. To your point - there are things under NDA that we may never know for PS5 and/or XSX.

I fully understand the concept of running in the editor - including enabling specific features and functionality on and off while running in the editor. Same concepts actually apply with respect to actual development and configuration toolsets being utilized today.

To your point - I assumed that the developer was running the demo in editor mode with everything turned "on"...

My previous point that I was trying to make earlier, however, would still remain relevant - in that when running in Editor mode - if all items are enabled and running would, in theory at least, still execute a representative or similar load scenario that would potentially require additional resources on the hardware above and beyond a targeted (compiled) build. I certainly don't know this for a fact - but in my 30+ years of development experience - I've rarely seen otherwise regardless of which toolset you're utilizing for active development in "demo" versus targeted build scenarios.

In this day and age of JIT compilers - (at least in my world of development) - there is a one-time hit on initial load. However, I'd still expect a complete different scenario for game development wherein (I'd expect) everything is fully pre-compiled and in final binary / optimal end-state.

All in all - it doesn't really matter - as the entire conversation is moot - the engine will render across multiple platforms. It will also perform differently based on targeted build per hardware/platform, however, the important takeaway here is - it's NOT specific to PS5.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I understand - but I think there's even more disconnect and misconceptions here (not necessarily with you) that goes beyond your (valid) point regarding final real-time play through.

To be clear - I'm not discounting that there may(are?) specific hardware customizations on PS5 that would yield potential performance enhancements when running real-time. To your point - there are things under NDA that we may never know for PS5 and/or XSX.

I fully understand the concept of running in the editor - including enabling specific features and functionality on and off while running in the editor. Same concepts actually apply with respect to actual development and configuration toolsets being utilized today.

To your point - I assumed that the developer was running the demo in editor mode with everything turned "on"...

My previous point that I was trying to make earlier, however, would still remain relevant - in that when running in Editor mode - if all items are enabled and running would, in theory at least, still execute a representative or similar load scenario that would potentially require additional resources on the hardware above and beyond a targeted (compiled) build. I certainly don't know this for a fact - but in my 30+ years of development experience - I've rarely seen otherwise regardless of which toolset you're utilizing for active development.

In this day and age of JIT compilers - (at least in my world of development) - there is a one-time hit on initial load. However, I'd still expect a complete different scenario for game development wherein (I'd expect) everything is fully pre-compiled and in final binary / optimal end-state.

All in all - it doesn't really matter - as the entire conversation is moot - the engine will render across multiple platforms. It will also perform differently based on targeted build per hardware/platform, however, the important takeaway here is - it's NOT specific to PS5.

ANy finalized, post processing effects, game scripts usually when your building the game which is in edit mode are not on to conserve processing. The last part of your response is where we disagree, though the engine itself, assets, and demo were created on the engine with a PC.

The specific customizations made for PS5's I/O and ssd are specific to that set of hardware. And if it wasn't then I would assume we would see them playing the same demo with a controller instead of in the raw engine edit mode which does not apply game scripts, post processing effects chosen for said demo, on top of a character with active animations, button commands and interactions.

Until they show it being actually played on PC in realtime with a controller the exact thing we saw running on PS5 in realtime which means they had someone hitting the prompts for the character through the demo. Until they show me that, what they currently are showing is just basically the engine with the demo assets.

Which is not 1:1 the same environment at all.

PaintTinJr

Mid range? Maybe outside of nanite/lumen, but that laptop is still nearly 100GigaPixel/s from its 64ROPs and 1.5Ghz clock, and has 8GBs of GDDR6. In context 200GigaPixel/s with high clock & infinity cache is God tier, and above 100 with regular GPU cache and +1.5ghz is top tier.
The Ps5 is 142gigapixels/s from 2.23Ghz clock and with cache scrubbers - that probably wouldn't be worth the effort if they didn't give a 30% gain.

Last edited:

Bro this has already been debunk.
First of all post process is the least expensive part of the rendering pipeline in games. Virtually non existing.

Secondly that’s not how 3D rendering and video editing softwares works (aftereffect, blender, maya,3D max, etc).

A accurate analoge is the fact that scrubbing through the timeline on a 4K video would lead to freezes and hitches of you don’t have a powerful GPU and 32-64 RAM because it’s holding a everything in memory and in its raw source asset so you can be able to manipulate it and make copies.

But after you render the 4K video, practically any computer or laptop can play the rendered file. You no longer need a 32GB-64GB computer with a powerful GPU.

The same is the case with unreal engine.

Mid range? Maybe outside of nanite/lumen, but that laptop is still nearly 100GigaPixel/s from its 64ROPs and 1.5Mhz clock, and has 8GBs of GDDR6. In context 200GigaPixel/s with high clock & infinity cache is God tier, and above 100 with regular GPU cache and +1.5ghz is top tier.
The Ps5 is 142gigapixels/s from 2.23Ghz clock and with cache scrubbers - that probably wouldn't be worth the effort if they didn't give a 30% gain.
Mid range was reaching yes. But compared to today's desktops it would be mid range.

The specific customizations made for PS5's I/O and ssd are specific to that set of hardware. And if it wasn't then I would assume we would see them playing the same demo with a controller instead of in the raw engine edit mode which does not apply game scripts, post processing effects chosen for said demo, on top of a character with active animations, button commands and interactions.

Until they show it being actually played on PC in realtime with a controller the exact thing we saw running on PS5 in realtime which means they had someone hitting the prompts for the character through the demo. Until they show me that, what they currently are showing is just basically the engine with the demo assets.

Which is not 1:1 the same environment at all.

First of all post process and game scripts were on.

secondly as I have said before...
Every thing you listed as reasons that PC can't run the demo. EXISTS in the valley of the ancient Demo. Infact more things exist there than the PS5 demo.
Teleportation, Attack Blast ability, explosion, drone flying mode, boss enemy.

1) Valley has physics
2) Valley needs only 3 GB Ram and 7 GB VRAM (I/O).
3) Valley has destruction,
4) Valley has Sound and music
5) Valley has VFX (the ancient ball is using the same Niagara particle system as the Portal)
6) Valley has different and dynamic lighting
7) Valley has walk, jump, attack, sit, drone flying
8) Valley has explosions which is more expensive

Even going with your warped logic, you still don't make sense.
Not only does the valley have all of this, but its actually more heavy in the valley demo (explosion uses translucency which is expensive).
Almost everything you listed runs on the CPU. The rest runs on the GPU. Which PC is vastly more powerful than the PS5 (chaos, lumen).

and none of it has anything to do with the only two new features in PS5, nanite and lumen.

Nanite is not affected my the destructions. Again you seem not to understand.
All the nanite data was 6.14 GB. Can you reply yes if you understand that?
Its already loaded. They don't load nanite data per frame, its already in the memory.

Chaos physics is a UE4 feature.

Niagara is a 3 years old feature that is very efficient.

The beetles and birds that you say makes the demo not to be able to run on the PC. The holy grail that you exhort is available on the UE4.26 content example for people to toy around with.
You should drag it into the Valley of the Ancient demo, If what you say is true. Then the demo should crash instantly because it doesn't recognize the PC as a PS5
Pj2cben.png

w8yQ27V.png

ox94lKP.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom