• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider: PSVR2 to release in Q1 2023

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People are saying "holiday 2022" as if it will be some huge Christmas hit.

People are still trying to get their hands on PS5s and struggling. I will be stunned if PSVR2 is hard to find, as much as I loved mine it's still a niche in the broad context of gaming.

AGRacing

Oh come the f*** on. Christmas Sony. CHRISTMAS. GET IT TOGETHER.

If it's not Christmas... fine... but stop showing the damn thing more than a year before release. It's embarrassing. They generate new iPhone "hype" in less than a month... you don't need more than a damn year to accomplish that.

But let's get this thing under some Christmas trees! Sony hasn't been able to hit a holiday date in what feels like a bloody decade...

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
2023 that's very disappointing if true.

z2Xsvnw.gif

Last edited:

XXL

Either way, I'm good. Q4 2022 to Q1 2023 isn't much of a difference to me. So exciting!

Rudius

All this waiting is ridiculous by now. I have the PS5 doing almost nothing here, waiting for the PSVR2 to arrive.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
People are saying "holiday 2022" as if it will be some huge Christmas hit.

People are still trying to get their hands on PS5s and struggling
. I will be stunned if PSVR2 is hard to find, as much as I loved mine it's still a niche in the broad context of gaming.

People on GAF need to be aware that when you say this, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

chasimus

If Sony releases it this year they would have to have PSVR backward compatibility. There's no way they'd have enough software to justify a release this year without it. And I'm confident they figured out a way to do it. My guess is still summer/fall of this year

ABnormal

It improves some VR games, like No Man's Sky, but it can't do anything about the decade old moves and tracking. I play some flat games here and there, but mostly VR.
Speaking of NMS, I really hope that they will make a PSVR2 version. I have had some of the best VR experiences with that game, and having it in full graphical glory with high resolution, HDR, higher frame rate, haptics, reduced motion sickness and good controls, would make it like a new experience altogether.

ABnormal

Will the new PSVR2 run all the PS4 VR games? I'd like to think full backwards compatibility would be a must.
Tough I'm not very interested on playng older titles (aside some special ones), I hope so. But I doubt it, every psvr game would require to be patched for the new device.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Psvr is incredible Sony did a good job with it 2023 is fair, I think they’ll look customers in the eye and PSVR2 comes out 2022 holiday season basically overpriced.

Rudius

If Sony releases it this year they would have to have PSVR backward compatibility. There's no way they'd have enough software to justify a release this year without it. And I'm confident they figured out a way to do it. My guess is still summer/fall of this year
backwards compatibility helps tremendously, but there is a simple way to have lots of VR games for a 2022 release: get all the possible ports of PCVR that missed PSVR. They would be new to those that stayed in the Playstation ecosystem.

chasimus

backwards compatibility helps tremendously, but there is a simple way to have lots of VR games for a 2022 release: get all the possible ports of PCVR that missed PSVR. They would be new to those that stayed in the Playstation ecosystem.
Agreed. Lots of games never made it to PSVR

mckmas8808

Tough I'm not very interested on playng older titles (aside some special ones), I hope so. But I doubt it, every psvr game would require to be patched for the new device.

That should be relatively simply to do if you ask me. And I think Sony should help devs with those patches, if one is needed.

hlm666

Has there been actual reliable news Apple is making a VR device? I've only seen rumors and that tweet seems to imply Apple have a device coming and will be part of the reason VR Display production increases?

Reallink

Has there been actual reliable news Apple is making a VR device? I've only seen rumors and that tweet seems to imply Apple have a device coming and will be part of the reason VR Display production increases?

Quest 2's sales success would play a larger part in VR display investment/production than Apple's perpetually delayed and forthcoming "AR headset". Oculus is going to beat them to the AR market with Cambria, which uses traditional displays coupled with high quality camera passthrough. Still unknown whether Apple will go with that route or the Magic Leap/Hololens projection route.

hlm666

Quest 2's sales success would play a larger part in VR display investment/production than Apple's perpetually delayed and forthcoming "AR headset". Oculus is going to beat them to the AR market with Cambria, which uses traditional displays coupled with high quality camera passthrough. Still unknown whether Apple will go with that route or the Magic Leap/Hololens projection route.
Was watching sadlyitsbradley stream where he was clearing up his meta device speculations and he seemed to think Apple has locked down oled micro display supply for their device and it will ship next year. Meta apparently using them for their high end Quest line aswell (that's post cambria next year).

Perrott

Gold Member
Ps5 small install base and chip shortage is a stupid reason, they must be trying to sort some problems out or they are not confident launching 3rd quarter.
Or launch games might need more dev time, which in turn would get Sony extra time to have much more stock on day 1 + a bigger PS5 install base by Q1 2023. Win-Win scenario, even if the entire PS5 generation is running a year late at this point because of this stupid pandemic, chip shortage situation and other issues.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hopefully they can get a couple of million units produced in time for launch. I wonder how well this one will perform.

Wohc

Banned
Hopefully they can get a couple of million units produced in time for launch. I wonder how well this one will perform.
I don't think there will be a stock problem. How many PSVR1 were sold? ~5M in 6 years for 120M PS4 owners. I think if they got a couple of 100k this will be more than enough for like 30M PS5 owners.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don't think there will be a stock problem. How many PSVR1 were sold? ~5M in 6 years for 120M PS4 owners. I think if they got a couple of 100k this will be more than enough for like 30M PS5 owners.
Yeah, I think the crazy covid boom seems to be slowing on all tech looking at the figures I see. We have definitely moved on from where everything including ocolus quest were selling out instantly. If they can get a million built for launch I think they will be in a good place.

mckmas8808

They need at the VERY least 1 million on launch day. Not one unit less.

Top Bottom