• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Venom game details

Bartski

Gold Member
image.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I suspected this would be a thing. Sony has put out 2 movies for this. They're obviously interested in strengthening their own brands.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
This is slated for Q2 2025, ya doofus.
So what, 18 months from now?

and then Spiderman 3 in 2028? I respect people who are excited for this but personally I am looking at that timeline of games from insomniac and I wish they would have some original IP on there apart from Ratchet.

The spiderman formula obviously is a fantastic seller for them so what do I know.

Boss Mog

If at least they would let you play co-op in these Spider-man games that have multiple heroes it'd be something new and interesting. Co-op really seems to be dead these days unless it's part of some shitty GaaS game.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Why are people suddenly against the idea of Insomniac making mainly Marvel games?
Spiderman games have been very successful and the games are objectively great. What did you expect?
I never really minded Spider-Man, a Spider-Man game here and there thrown in alongside their remaining output is great.

I personally never wanted them to turn into an overall Marvel sweatshop. That’s the most boring thing imaginable for such a great studio.

I’d be all over a good Venom game though.

Embearded

Because the superhero genre is culturally completely played out and dull and we’d like something fresh?
I am not a fan of superhero games, but let's be honest here, culturally most games are dull and they repeat the same tropes again and again. From Spiderman to Starfield to Zelda. It's the gameplay and the mechanics they introduce that matters most.
You might not be interested in playing as Venom, thousands of others are though.

Original games are also very successful and objectively great. too.
I agree but you can't say that Sony as as a paltform holder hasn't introduced new IPs the last decade.

If i was calling the shots for Insomnia, i'd have them make 1 marvel game and 1 completely new IP. But i wouldn't stop making Spiderman - X-Men games, they are making money.

Flutta

Banned
Inso has become a Marvel factory. I remember them being so happy when they released the first spider-man game back in PS4 era not knowing that they will lose their creative freedom and be forced to make Marvel shite until the end times 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm sure they're happy to have a safe job and not have to worry about the future. I know I would be.
I mean, they're one low sales game away from a not safe job just like everyone else. Their budgets keep growing and they keep taking on more and more projects which puts pressure on quality. And they keep recycling the same IP. Guitar Hero devs had safe jobs for a while too. Sometimes you have to diversify a bit.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I am not a fan of superhero games, but let's be honest here, culturally most games are dull and they repeat the same tropes again and again. From Spiderman to Starfield to Zelda. It's the gameplay and the mechanics they introduce that matters most.
You might not be interested in playing as Venom, thousands of others are though.

To tie virtually your entire output to a popular culture genre that is clearly coming to the end of its dominance is very dumb.

Astray

I'm low-key psyched about this one because my main qualm with SM2 was how little of Tony Todd it featured, and this fixes that in spades.

To tie virtually your entire output to a popular culture genre that is clearly coming to the end of its dominance is very dumb.
It's coming to the end of it's dominance in films alone, and mainly due to boneheaded actions by Disney itself than anything else.

In gaming, single-player superhero games have been going from strength to strength so far (I don't count GAAS-y abortions like Avengers or Gotham Knights). It also helps that they can just go for the most relevant and well-known characters immediately, unlike in films where they literally had to make a deal with a competitor for Spiderman and buy out another for X-Men.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
I'm sure they're happy to have a safe job and not have to worry about the future. I know I would be.
I don't believe there's such a thing as "Safe jobs" in this industry. People also get burned out and leave so.... you don't have to be forced out to leave a workplace and that's what i was referring to. Creativity is what drives this industry forward, and the opposite is what makes alot of talented devs leave this industry all together.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So play as Harry ? Meh.

Idk. I would rather it infect someone else. Let me play as JJ in the suit.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Insomniac is better at Marvel than Marvel these days

Are they? The last 'super-hero' movie form Marvel I've watched was Avengers end game (it was okay) so I'm not really up to date. Spider-Man 2 was mid, story was awful and gameplay felt too similar to 2018 Spider-Man. It was the only PS5 exclusive that I've played this year and it made me sell the console. Meh.

Fbh

Sounds like this will be to Spiderman 2 what Miles Morales was to 1.

Insomniac is better at Marvel than Marvel these days

Well the story and writing are about equally bad.
But at least in the Insomniac games you get the gameplay which is fun while in Marvel movies you only get the story.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
Sales talk, they're still working on a new Ratchet & Clank game but sadly it's their worst performing game this generation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If Wolverine is a 2025 title, and them teasing Venom as possibly being playable in 2, I would not even be mad if Insomniac did a Miles Morales type smaller game for 2024 where you use just Venom with Carnage making an appearance in it.
A Venom spinoff/standalone/LL style would be dope!

MirageMew2

“Carnage infested boroughs” sounds familiar. Disappointed the Carnage story won’t pick up with SM2 DLC seemingly.

Top Bottom