• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Venom game details

Topher

Gold Member
Then has been a great State of Play. Lots of drama. Plenty of announcements. We even got some game play.

Thanks ransomers

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

Are they? The last 'super-hero' movie form Marvel I've watched was Avengers end game (it was okay) so I'm not really up to date. Spider-Man 2 was mid, story was awful and gameplay felt too similar to 2018 Spider-Man. It was the only PS5 exclusive that I've played this year and it made me sell the console. Meh.

Oh no

Anyway

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why are people suddenly against the idea of Insomniac making mainly Marvel games?
Making a few games. Ok.

Becoming a factory for churning out Marvel content for a further 12 years when the boom has come and gone. Not ok.
Spiderman games have been very successful and the games are objectively great. What did you expect?

The writing in Insomniac’s Spider-Man games is objectively sub-par.

Gojiira

Yea, it's going to be a packed year for PS5 exclusives. People act like PS5 is dry in 2024 when Xbox literally has zero release dates set yet.
Exactly, I know theres more than the ones already listed too.
They should just consider that Sony isnt going to want to compete with its own exclusives, or cut into the sales of those same games. And with so many exclusives they have more time to add/polish etc their first party stuff.
Just seems like a win win to me.

Raonak

Banned
Nice, venom was the best parts of SM2 so keen to see how this ties together and how it leads into SM3.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Insomniac, such a talented studio that has given up on original IPs. With San Diego busy doing The Show games, I was hoping they would take a crack at The Mark of Kri.

aclar00

I still haven't played Spiderman 2, but I do like the idea of these smaller, but complete, games in between major releases like Miles.

It is a bit of a slippery slope, but honestly, given game development complexity and time nowadays its likely what's best for the industry. We probably actually need to go back to more of it IMO...kind of do a reset to how things were.

While I hate game price increases, they do pale in comparison to the increase in scale and complexity of a game today. People now put a huge emphasis on length as oppose to generally quality it seems. Large part of that is on devs/publishers though.

My fav game til this day is OG Resident Evil 1, which can easily be beaten twice on a Saturday morning...and it cost $50 usd if im not mistaken at launch. Now people expect 30+ hours from a $70 game whose complexity is ten fold.

RE1 thru 3 also came out in what...3 maybe 4 year timespan and didnt bother me much....maybe us adults are just more jaded.

It is a bit of a slippery slope, but honestly, given game development complexity and time nowadays its likely what's best for the industry. We probably actually need to go back to more of it IMO...kind of do a reset to how things were.

While I hate game price increases, they do pale in comparison to the increase in scale and complexity of a game today. People now put a huge emphasis on length as oppose to generally quality it seems. Large part of that is on devs/publishers though.

My fav game til this day is OG Resident Evil 1, which can easily be beaten twice on a Saturday morning...and it cost $50 usd if im not mistaken at launch. Now people expect 30+ hours from a $70 game whose complexity is ten fold.

RE1 thru 3 also came out in what...3 maybe 4 year timespan and didnt bother me much....maybe us adults are just more jaded.
I am also still down for this kind of experience if it's a worthwhile one. I regularly revisit old games like that and enjoy them, well worth the money. I agree, things are kind of skewed but for so many reasons it's hard to "fix".

SteadyEvo

Why are people suddenly against the idea of Insomniac making mainly Marvel games?
Spiderman games have been very successful and the games are objectively great. What did you expect?
It’s hard to get excited with another game in the same universe with similar gameplay.

themonk

Neo Member
Insomniac has made games like sunset overdrive and resistance…. Why are all these Sony studios only working on 3rd person story games centered around the same charcters…

Insomniac has made games like sunset overdrive and resistance…. Why are all these Sony studios only working on 3rd person story games centered around the same charcters…

I liked Resistance plenty, but it was a first person shooter franchise with a brownish tint released right in the middle of a bunch of other brownish shooters. At least with their current output, they are at the very top of the game.

And Sunset Overdrive, well. Swing and miss.

Embearded

Making a few games. Ok.

Becoming a factory for churning out Marvel content for a further 12 years when the boom has come and gone. Not ok.

The writing in Insomniac’s Spider-Man games is objectively sub-par.
The boom has not gone, not yet.
I agree on their writing, it's not great, at least i prefer the recent God Of War games writing. Gameplay is very good though and all of my friends who are into comics are more than satisfied.

It’s hard to get excited with another game in the same universe with similar gameplay.

Understandable, but its only logical to continue making these games as long as they are making money.
Also, you just described some annual games that sell millions.

Sunset overdrive that made them 600$ profit?
Resistance was ok but to be fair gaming wasn't as mainstream as it is today in the PS3 era.
And sorry i don't find the characters in the games similar. I see the similarities in the stories (GoW - TLoU) but characters are not the same.

I still haven't played Spiderman 2, but I do like the idea of these smaller, but complete, games in between major releases like Miles.
Same, should probably be more around 30 bucks though, I feel 50 is too much for the relatively smaller effort the devs have to put into these games. You know, a long time ago it would be called an expansion pack, and be sold for 19,99. Which is actually the best price for a product like this. Unfortunately this is the price of a single costume in some games now. F*ck the abuse of modern MTX and the shameless abuse of it.

Inso has become a Marvel factory. I remember them being so happy when they released the first spider-man game back in PS4 era not knowing that they will lose are creative freedom and be forced to make Marvel shite until the end times 🤣🤣
I would assume that for at least 9 out of 10 people involved in any game project it is entirely irrelevant to them what the topic and genre of the game is. The average worker bee does not care at all, while a few people are really passionate about certain elements in the pipeline.
I guess writers and directors have to actually like the game's theme though. Just a job attitude won't work great for that, if you really feel like some creative soul, caged into a monotone world with contractual limits to your ideas.

aclar00

Same, should probably be more around 30 bucks though, I feel 50 is too much for the relatively smaller effort the devs have to put into these games. You know, a long time ago it would be called an expansion pack, and be sold for 19,99. Which is actually the best price for a product like this. Unfortunately this is the price of a single costume in some games now. F*ck the abuse of modern MTX and the shameless abuse of it.
Years ago it would be considered a full-fledged game.

ergem

Feel sorry for the people at Insomniac but nice! It's going to be great.

Haters can suck a bucket of big fat non-binary girl-dicks
Why are you sorry for them? They get extra bonus pay for sales milestones. Spider-man series is the multi million seller. So naturally they would pick that series to earn more money.

Don Carlo

Man... I feel sad and happy on the same side, more sad though. Insomniac is a fantastic studio, did not deserve all this.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is super smart. Keeps the appetite for this series and universe sated, but also still has its own identity. Miles Morales was great too, but Venom is super iconic and is gonna have his own gameplay feel.

FingerBang

Why are you sorry for them? They get extra bonus pay for sales milestones. Spider-man series is the multi million seller. So naturally they would pick that series to earn more money.
I feel sorry for the leak of private information, I'm happy with what they're working on

Top Bottom