• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 13th Gen Raptor Lake Reviews.

Leonidas

You love to see it.

unlimited-power-1024x437.jpg

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm not really digging the trend of pushing maximum power especially with intel. Those numbers are pretty good regardless but in reality it's easy for somebody to throw everything in the kitchen sink just to win performance by the percentage points. Then there's the cost which is definitely in its favor but the power usage I honestly pretty concerning and these Intel parts.

Hopefully everything on the ddr5 and alongside new storage will be more stable this time next year since I will be looking to build a rig and despite the performance numbers the power usage is getting out of hand just for the sake of catching up to the competition.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I hope that some of you that are jumping on this are coming in from at least a two generation or more older CPU because as somebody that's been jumping high-end consistently I can tell you that it isn't worth upgrading from anything newer than 10 series Intel or a 5000 series AMD.

It's going to be very concerning if the power draws of the next parts coming next year are equal to this or at least if they are able to it I hope they destroy the performance we're seeing today because the friends of more power is starting to wear on you regardless of who's doing it.

LordCBH

I hope that some of you that are jumping on this are coming in from at least a two generation or more older CPU because as somebody that's been jumping high-end consistently I can tell you that it isn't worth upgrading from anything newer than 10 series Intel or a 5000 series AMD.

It's going to be very concerning if the power draws of the next parts coming next year are equal to this or at least if they are able to it I hope they destroy the performance we're seeing today because the friends of more power is starting to wear on you regardless of who's doing it.

The uplift from my 6700k to this will probably melt my face off lol

Neo_game

Oof that 13900k makes going with a 5800x3D look a hell of a lot sexier.

That power consumption. Yeowch!

But according to this 13600K already faster than 5800X3D by some 25% in apps and on par if not better in games. 9% faster in 1080P and 5% on 1440P.

It is also some 100$ cheaper. KF model will be 290$. It's performance in very similar to best cpu of 2021. lol

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
13600K it is.

Was debating on 136K or 127 as they are round about the same price....the 136K beats it at basically everything.
See ya'll in CPU threads when NovaLake is a thing, cuz my CPU is locked in till then.

Emulation - Even without AVX512 instructions:
Q2bAdwe.png

CPU rendering - I dont do this much anymore, but Hybrid Renderers should become more prevalent soonish:
2x0Mr0W.png

Gaming at 4K - I game at UW1440p but planning on going 4K120 soonish. (Whenever the 4080'20G shows up)
EZ3dCyt.png

Gaming temperatures totally manageable.
Rendering temperatures in the low 90s.....like every other modern chip.
Hybrid Rendering - 200W + ~450W 4080'20G........well within power budget of an 850W power supply.

An absolutely perfect CPU for my use case.
Sold!

13600k will be mine.

Time to retire my 8600k.
Yup looks like a perfect CPU for the next few years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Black_Stride

13600X looks fantastic. Is this the end of the line for the socket?

I’m currently on AM4.
Yup end of the line for LGA 1700.
Realistically by the time a 136K is looking bad, youll be prepping to do a full system overhaul anyway.
is it worth upgrading from i7 8700k to i5-13600K
87K -> 136K is gonna be a massive upgrade.
The RaptorLake cores are fast as fuck.
If you just game its a very solid upgrade.
That is of course assuming you are bottlenecked by your CPU currently.
Cuz an 8700K should still be a pretty solid performer in most games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One thing which blows my mind, is why the fuck is sucking that much power when it's big.LITTLE architecture? Shouldn't that be for efficiency? We are having trouble optimizing code for this stupid architecture and basically run the engine on just those P cores and do some back-end stuff on E cores (which takes little to no power), so why™

Its failure to have it in this state. Seems like x86 really run its course. I know that AMD is now far better at this, however almost required AIO, sucks. I don't like water anywhere on my PC. Or if we continue doing this, we need different standard, due to cooling, 300W+ GPUs can be cooled normally due to massive coolers, but it's hard to get cooler like this on CPU and it's sorely needed.

Neo_game

13600X looks fantastic. Is this the end of the line for the socket?

I’m currently on AM4.

Yes, Meteor lake will be 7nm and new socket. But nobody knows much about them so far. I guess can you wait for next gen and decide if you want to jump ship with intel and see AMD offering as well. Intel ATM beats AMD both on price and performance.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yes, Meteor lake will be 7nm and new socket. But nobody knows much about them so far. I guess can you wait for next gen and decide if you want to jump ship with intel and see AMD offering as well. Intel ATM beats AMD both on price and performance.

Yeah, I’d hate to jump in at the tail end of a socket.
I’m on a Ryzen 3600, and I’ve got an itch to upgrade. I’ll probably keep waiting.

s-bojan

Banned
My 8700k is a bottleneck in almost every RT game I've tried.
I will probably upgrade to 13600k.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Basically if you have a 12900k already it's not worth it but if you're upgrading from an older gen then basically the 13900k is a better 12900k so grab it. The power draw is pretty crazy but honestly it doesn't bother me.

Haggard

Banned
So Intel arrived at the bottom and now does exactly what AMD did back when the situation was reversed..... bruteforce and ignore power efficiency.

Yuck.

TVexperto

Yup end of the line for LGA 1700.
Realistically by the time a 136K is looking bad, youll be prepping to do a full system overhaul anyway.

I havent noticed any bottleneck honestly so far except maybe in cyberpunk but anno, overwatch, hunt showdown, new world on high etc. everything still runs smoothly

how do i notice if the cpu is at its limit?

Patrick S.

Banned
I bought a 12600k in January, but that 13600k looks nice... I have a DDR4 board and memory though.... does the 13600k need DDR5?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Looks like Final Fantasy 14 loves the new Intel cpu:

r1sWApZ.png

Looks like a huge jump from my old 10700k (not pictured but the 10900k is), though I play in 4K

Last edited:

Black_Stride

too bad this is the end of the line for this chipset
I take it you mean socket?

And why would that be a bad thing?
You shouldnt be upgrading your CPU every generation anyway.
And by the time the 136K is "slow", it would be time to do a whole new build anyway, so you wouldnt want to still be using the same motherboard.
AM5 is supported until ~2025.
NovaLake comes circa ~2025.
Would you really want to keep using an old motherboard for your new top of the line CPU in 2026?
AM6 will be a thing, and Intels new socket will be a thing, so....not really a "bad" that Intel is moving to a new socket after RPL.

Top Bottom